Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

which video game system....

XHonusWagnerX - 2-16-2008 at 12:09 AM

Im giving slight consideration to buying a video game system. Ive played on a Wii a little bit and it seems kind of cool, but it seems like the Xbox 360 probably has more 'adult themed' games.

Which ones do you have or have you played and what would you recomend if I was only getting ONE?

defstarsteve - 2-16-2008 at 12:15 AM

i have a wii and a 360 and someday I'll have a ps3

the wii is fun for playing with other people...
my kids like it and the games are tough to get used to, but fun

the xbox is just fun all the way around,
no matter what kind of games you like to play

the ps3 is the same as the xbox but has the blu ray player if you are into hd movies and stuff

Dave - 2-16-2008 at 07:41 AM

I love my PS3.

the ps3 and the 360, have a lot in common, except ps3 is free to play online, and has built in wi-fi, it can play PSone & PS2 games, which there is tons of good games, xbox you have to pay. both systems have most of the same games. it really comes down to the system only games, to make your decision.

i've played the wii, its okay fun for groups but i could see myself sitting down and playing it all that much.

just check out some sites, read some game reviews, for each system, take a look at the previews, really which ever you get you'll love.

www.ign.com
www.gamespot.com

bombidol - 2-16-2008 at 07:57 AM

360 all the way. Owned em all but 360 wins for me.

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 09:51 AM

360 indeed! I know you would be diggin it.

And if you get it, you NEED to play PORTAL! It is a game that is on a disc with about 5 other games called "The Orange Box". The game PORTAL is kinda like the movie CUBE. You are trapped in these rooms and use 2 portal guns to find out how to get out. SOOO fucking good!

XHonusWagnerX - 2-16-2008 at 10:28 AM

if PS3 is free to play online, how much is the 360 to play online?

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
if PS3 is free to play online, how much is the 360 to play online?

Basically, Xbox is establiched with ALOT more users so when PS3 hit the market, they knew by making it FREE they MIGHT be able to take a chunk of the pie.

1 year = $50.00 (they usually give 13 months, not 12)
3 months = $20.00
1 month = $7.99
Here is a breakdown of the bennefits for Xbox live gold (which is the PAY service listed above) and Xbox live SILVER (which is free, pretty much includes everything gold does except online multiplayer) I have never used silver so I don't exactly know. The gold is worth the $4.17 a month (buying the year subscription) I pay for it. lol

XHonusWagnerX - 2-16-2008 at 11:52 AM

damn... I want to get an XBox now. :drool:

So even though everyone seems to have problems with 'The Red Ring of Death' the Xbox is still the way to go?

note to self: Red Ring of Death is a good name for a banb!

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 12:27 PM

Some of the new Xbox systems have a chip called the "Falcon" chip and they have not had any reported RRoD as of yet. I am actually thinking of trading my system in and getting a newer one to avoid another RRoD.

I am currently searching more info on how to tell which systems have the FALCON chip.

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 12:31 PM

Here it is... http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/02/05/how-to-spot-a-falcon...

XHonusWagnerX - 2-16-2008 at 12:54 PM

damn this is confusing... what happened to "would you like woodgrain or the black for your Atari 2600, sir?"

XHonusWagnerX - 2-16-2008 at 12:55 PM

Oh yeah.... and what will it cost me to get the system and the other stuff that I 'NEED' to have?

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 01:48 PM

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm?WT.svl=nav

There are the system choices. I would recomend the regular Xbox 360. The elite is good, but not really worth the $100.00 more. The arcade edition only has 256mb of saving space where as the regular one has a 20GB hard drive.

Basically, the main deciding factors...

ARCADE............................REGULAR......................ELITE
$280...................................$350.........................$450
256mb................................20GB........................120GB
standard AV cable....standard / hd cables....standard / hd / hdmi cables

I don't know what the difference between hd and hdmi cables are since I don't have an hd tv.

So, $350.00 for the system. You can plug an eithernet cable directly into it (incuded) or pay another $100.00 for the WiFi adapter.

Thats all you need to get started other than games (which I mostly rent) and Xbox gold (if you want it, and I would recomend it).

defstarsteve - 2-16-2008 at 02:40 PM

I lived thru the red ring of death last month
basically it died
they sent a box and ra slip
got it back better then new 2 weeks later...
support is top notch

the 20 gig version is fine unless you plan on saving a lot of music to your harddrive, or downloading tv shows and movies...
as for hd I use the composits cables and it looks great....
there is no real difference in hdmi or composite unless you are a tv uber nerd...
which I doubt you are

my kids play games more then I do anymore...
but if you do get one
get a subscription to game fly
netflix for video games

Discipline - 2-16-2008 at 02:46 PM

What's the red ring of death?

bombidol - 2-16-2008 at 03:53 PM

Basically if you play a lot of 360 the thing overheats and dies. The newer models have a better heatsink etc in there so they dont over heat. With the older models theres a 16% failure rate so the odds are kind of in your favor that nothings gonna happen. I have my 360 since day one and never a problem with it.

Theres 3 choices for output to TV

Composite cable - This is the bog standard one that comes with the box. both standard def and hi def. Looks good.

HDMI - Not all 360 support this. some of the newer ones do and the elite does. Looks great and its only one connection on each end so its a little tidier.

VGA cable - You gotta buy it separate but it means you can use a computer monitor for your 360 or if your TV has a VGA in you can use it. Looks amazing and supports the highest resolutions.

Siczine.com - 2-16-2008 at 06:55 PM

It's funny, I'm probably the youngest, or one of the youngest on here and yet I only own a PS2 and don't even play that anymore.

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 07:00 PM

With the price of systems, more adults are playing than kids nowadays.

Dave - 2-16-2008 at 09:25 PM

i love all my systems, i dont play some of them all that often anymore, but that is because of time really.

Dave - 2-16-2008 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
With the price of systems, more adults are playing than kids nowadays.

i wouldnt say more adults, but our generation is really the first one to grow up surrounded by video games, i'd just say that alot of us just haven't stopped playing them yet.

Six66Mike - 2-16-2008 at 09:47 PM

If I could have *ANY* gaming system in the world, I would seriously get the NES, Atari 2600 and SNES, nothing else. :)

We got an Xbox and Xbox 360 Pro with 20GB drive, I don't play either one really. I got NHL 2006 for the old XBox but that's it. I'd rather play Blades of Steel on NES or Metroid and all that cool shit.

Dave - 2-16-2008 at 10:03 PM

i have an NES, its awesome.

and i have blades of steel and metroid i think i have like 50-60 games for it.
still good, even after 20 years.

XHonusWagnerX - 2-16-2008 at 11:00 PM

I have....

Atari 2600
Nintendo 34
Playstation I
XBox (regular 1st one)
PSP

and the only one I play is the PSP, but I would like to get a more recent actual console and play some of the cool games all the 'kids' are talking about.

Basicly, I played Guitar Hero at a friends house and I got to do 2 songs and Ive been jonesing for weeks to play again!!!

XnMeX - 2-16-2008 at 11:41 PM

If it's guitar hero you are about, 360 is the way to go over Wii. The 360 has downloadable content often and the Wii does not have any.

Discipline - 2-17-2008 at 12:06 AM

I have a PS1 and a PS2 and I'm happy with those. The only reason I want an XBox is for one game. I threw out my NES when I moved about 4 and 1/2 years ago, and I still regret it. I miss playing Bionic Commando.

Muttley - 2-17-2008 at 04:35 AM

I was dead set on a 360 but now with the talk of HD-DVD being dead I'm debating the PS3.... especially since it just dropped in price and both systems are about the same.

Dave - 2-17-2008 at 07:56 AM

these are the systems i have now, i sold off the rest a few years ago:

NES
Playstation
PS2
PS3
Xbox
Dreamcast

the ones i sold over the last few years:

gameboy sp
psp
SNES
sega master system
sega genesis
sega saturn
N64
Atari 2600
Odyssey 2

i think that is it....

BDx13 - 2-17-2008 at 12:53 PM

I don't think you can overlook what is now essentially the death of hd dvd.

In the past week, netlix and walmart dropped it and FAR more importantly, Toshiba (the driving force behind the format) announced that they would stop producing hardware for it.

bombidol - 2-17-2008 at 01:12 PM

Yeah but the HD DVD drive for the 360 is optional. Cash money says that theres a blue ray player for 360 in the works already.

defstarsteve - 2-17-2008 at 03:14 PM

i never got the hd dvd drive, as I knew I'd get a ps-3 someday

I currently have an atari 2600
2 ps2's (one for the bedroom)
gamecube
wii
2 psp's
xbox360
gameboy advance sp

one of the psp's is hacked and can play any game from snes, nes, sega, or atari... so I don't need those anymore...

also the psp when used with ps3 can play ps1 games...
and the psp can be a controller for the ps3....
just something to think about honus since you already have a psp

XHonusWagnerX - 2-18-2008 at 10:25 AM

Does GRAND THEFT AUTO come out for the xbox?

Does the 360 play original Xbox games?

defstarsteve - 2-18-2008 at 02:39 PM

yes

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/grandtheftauto4/index...

and yes some....

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygamesli...

and you can download original xbox games from xbox live

XHonusWagnerX - 2-18-2008 at 02:49 PM

I had kind of talked myself out of getting any of them and I was going to get GUITAR HERO III for my computer. I read some reviews and they are all pretty good, with some complaints. The thing is that it requres 1gig of ram, but some reviews say they tested it on a machine with 2gig and it still had glitches and my computer only has 1gig.... Now Im right back where I started!

defstarsteve - 2-18-2008 at 02:58 PM

dude buy a real guitar, way better investment

XHonusWagnerX - 2-18-2008 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
dude buy a real guitar, way better investment

I have 5 guitars and 6 basses... playing real music alone is boring.

defstarsteve - 2-18-2008 at 03:17 PM

start a band
move to LA and we'll start a slapshot cover band

XHonusWagnerX - 3-6-2008 at 01:47 PM

Im gonna look for an xbox either tonight or this weekend...

MikeCore - 3-6-2008 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Im gonna look for an xbox either tonight or this weekend...

Yeah I'm gonna be pickin' one of these up soon aswell. After we get our Government incentive check.

BDx13 - 3-7-2008 at 12:29 AM

this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but...
Sony "in talks" with Microsoft about a Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive

XnMeX - 3-7-2008 at 08:05 AM

That would be the stupidest thing Sony could ever do.... Blu-ray is the only edge they have over Xbox.

XHonusWagnerX - 3-7-2008 at 09:15 AM

well... I bought an Xbox 360 last night. I spent $349.99 on the system and then $99.99 on Guitar Hero III. I hooked it up, but havent done anything online yet.

Im on 'easy' mode, but I played the shit out of some guitar hero last night! I beat the first 2 concerts and then beat Tom from Rage Against The Machine in a head to head battle!

So.... recomend some other games for me. Especially stuff I can play online against some of you folks.

Also.... NME.... I guess that the system comes with 'Xbox Live Silver', is that true? What do I have to do to get the 'gold' version. How do I do it, set it up and whats it cost again?

Dave - 3-7-2008 at 09:40 AM

does anyone on here have a PS3?
i'm on spring break now, and wouldn't mind playing some ppl, in some burnout paradise or resistance or something...

defstarsteve - 3-7-2008 at 11:44 AM

well if you have it set up to play online, then jsut pay to upgrade to gold....
you can do it right from the control panel

add me...
defstarsteve

my son is usualy playing star wars legos, but Imihgt get some time someday to play...
also pick up dead rising used, (great zombie game)
and get a subscription to gamefly...
like netflix but for games....

I have seom referrals around here somewhere and you and I would both get free stuff

defstarsteve - 3-7-2008 at 11:45 AM

I just sent you a free month of gamefly check your email

anybody else want one?

XHonusWagnerX - 3-7-2008 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
I just sent you a free month of gamefly check your email

anybody else want one?

Thanks Steve!

Is the star wars lego game any good? It looks so awesome!

defstarsteve - 3-7-2008 at 11:53 AM

it's fun as hell...
but easy, and perfect for my 4 year old

a good renter....
there are so many good games, it's just filler depending on what you like

and the are some seriuosly bad ass games coming out this year

XHonusWagnerX - 3-7-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
it's fun as hell...
but easy, and perfect for my 4 year old

a good renter....
there are so many good games, it's just filler depending on what you like

and the are some seriuosly bad ass games coming out this year

I definitly want to get GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 I know that!

XnMeX - 3-7-2008 at 07:16 PM

If you get on gold, add me as well xnmex13 then we can play some GH3 online!

Star wars lego is deffinetly fun, and probably really cheap right now. Could probably get it real cheap used or on ebay.

XnMeX - 3-7-2008 at 07:18 PM

in fact...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Lego-Star-Wars-II-Ori...

defstarsteve - 3-7-2008 at 07:19 PM

totally worth it

DaveMoral - 3-8-2008 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
I have a PS1 and a PS2 and I'm happy with those. The only reason I want an XBox is for one game. I threw out my NES when I moved about 4 and 1/2 years ago, and I still regret it. I miss playing Bionic Commando.

There's a new Bionic Commando coming out for the next-gen consoles.

I need an Xbox360. Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Ninja Gaiden II. Assassin's Creed.

I just don't feel to hype on paying 400 bucks for it. I wonder if the gov't is going to give me some free money. After some bills maybe I could hook on of these things up...

XnMeX - 3-8-2008 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I just don't feel to hype on paying 400 bucks for it.

Xbox 360 Arcade Edition.... $280.00 brand new.

ONLY thing that sucks about the arcade edition is it comes with a 256MB memory card instead of the 20GB hard drive (but a hard drive can always be bought at a later date).

The hard drive is not REQUIRED, but is the only way to be able to download and play demos and tv shows / movies. Arcade edition is a GREAT deal for a next gen console though.

DaveMoral - 3-8-2008 at 01:01 PM

Now that's a cool option. I won't be on XboxLive anyways. I'm too cheap. The memory card has plenty of room for saving games I'm sure.

XnMeX - 3-8-2008 at 08:48 PM

Yeah, if your not interested in Live, than this is the way to go. They also sell additional memory cards. Not sure how much space is needed for game saves but I am sure there would be plenty of room for a bunch of game saves.

Discipline - 3-8-2008 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I need an Xbox360. Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Ninja Gaiden II. Assassin's Creed.

I just don't feel to hype on paying 400 bucks for it. I wonder if the gov't is going to give me some free money. After some bills maybe I could hook on of these things up...

Do you know which console? I love Bionic Commando. The Ninja Gaiden game for the first Xbox was fucking sweet.

XHonusWagnerX - 3-9-2008 at 01:30 AM

Im going to try and hook up Xbox live tomorrow. who else has it?

DaveMoral - 3-9-2008 at 02:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know which console? I love Bionic Commando. The Ninja Gaiden game for the first Xbox was fucking sweet.

I'm guessing it's probably going to be on all consoles.

Ninja Gaiden was awesome, so were the original NES games.

MikeCore - 3-9-2008 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

ONLY thing that sucks about the arcade edition is it comes with a 256MB memory card instead of the 20GB hard drive (but a hard drive can always be bought at a later date).

The hard drive is not REQUIRED, but is the only way to be able to download and play demos and tv shows / movies. Arcade edition is a GREAT deal for a next gen console though.

Yup, this the version I'm getting. Using it strictly for gaming from disc, no movies. I have HDMI but don't need it for gaming.

XHonusWagnerX - 3-9-2008 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeCore
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, this the version I'm getting. Using it strictly for gaming from disc, no movies. I have HDMI but don't need it for gaming.

Play online with the rest of us nerds!

*Im still not set up yet, but will be soon!

MikeCore - 3-9-2008 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Play online with the rest of us nerds!

*Im still not set up yet, but will be soon!

I'm not big on playing online, or paying for it. We already pay $55/month for internet axx and that's about all I'm willing to pay. I'm more of a casual gamer. I have TONS of games that I have never even played. But then again I paid pennys on the dollar compared to what most paid for them ;)

defstarsteve - 3-9-2008 at 03:30 PM

i have never really gotten into playing on line either
too macho for me...

but when that multiplayer zobie game come sout I might get into that...
if it was just like thorpseters chillin and playing that would be cool
but if we had to deal with arrogent game nerds all day...
fuck that I do't like people enough for that

MikeCore - 3-9-2008 at 06:49 PM

These are the games I have so far but of cource haven't burned/played them yet:

Frontlines.Fuel.Of.War.USA-XBOX360

Conflict.Denied.Ops.NTSC.XBOX360-APATHY

Bully_Scholarship_Edition-PROPER-USA-XBOX360-NAGGERS

Army_Of_Two_NTSC_USA_XBOX360-Nocturnal

Major.League.Baseball.2K8.USA.XBOX360-MARVEL

Anybody have/played any of these yet? Any good?

XHonusWagnerX - 3-9-2008 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
These are the games I have so far but of cource haven't burned/played them yet:

Frontlines.Fuel.Of.War.USA-XBOX360

Conflict.Denied.Ops.NTSC.XBOX360-APATHY

Bully_Scholarship_Edition-PROPER-USA-XBOX360-NAGGERS

Army_Of_Two_NTSC_USA_XBOX360-Nocturnal

Major.League.Baseball.2K8.USA.XBOX360-MARVEL

Anybody have/played any of these yet? Any good?

You can play burned games?

defstarsteve - 3-9-2008 at 07:26 PM

I think you can haxorz it to make it play them

Discipline - 3-9-2008 at 07:30 PM

I would never bother playing online. It doesn't interest me, plus I'm not very good at a lot of games and don't need idiots reminding me about it. The only games I really do well on are wrestling games, because I play them more than anything else. I don't have the patience or temperment to play a lot of modern games.

XHonusWagnerX - 3-9-2008 at 07:35 PM

main reason Im playing online is I ahve a friend in teh army and that will be a good way to stay in touch

Dave - 3-9-2008 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i know its coming out for the PS3, there are two coming out, one brand new one, and a remake of the NES classic, it looks fucking sweet!

http://www.bioniccommando.com/us

XnMeX - 3-9-2008 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
I think you can haxorz it to make it play them

Yup, but I don't think you can play online with a hacked system.

BDx13 - 3-10-2008 at 07:19 AM

just read this. damn!
http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/red-ring-...

Dave - 3-10-2008 at 09:14 AM

yeah a buddy of mine is on his fouth one, he had to send it back three times..........

MikeCore - 3-10-2008 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
just read this. damn!
http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/red-ring-...

Quote:

How to Avoid Hardware Problems

* Air it out. Many failures are attributed to the inadequate cooling system of early-model 360s, so anything you can do to give it an easier time will pay off. Make sure you put the console in a place with cool, steady airflow.

I bet that human error is the main factor in most of the OG Xbox 360 over heatings. Give your stuff room to breathe and you'll be fine.

defstarsteve - 3-10-2008 at 03:38 PM

mine has plenty of room to breathe but still went RROD
they created a faulty product and are paying to fix it...
mine took about 2 LONG weeks but is working great....

MikeCore - 3-10-2008 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
mine has plenty of room to breathe but still went RROD
they created a faulty product and are paying to fix it...
mine took about 2 LONG weeks but is working great....

Wow, that sux. I had an OG Xbox 1 and never once had any problems with it until the mod chip broke and then I tried to fix it and completely broke the box. That sucked too. I haven't bought my 360 yet but it looks like I'll be on the safe side with a newer build.