Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

BLACK N BLUE BOWL 08 DVD Trailer!

MikeFromInhuman - 5-20-2008 at 12:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPm9jD9pFgE

CHECK IT OUT!!!

Furly - 5-20-2008 at 12:55 PM

that looks rad.

Jason the Magnificent - 5-20-2008 at 01:03 PM

good lord what song is playing in the background?

MikeFromInhuman - 5-20-2008 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent

I have no clue!
Anyone???

tireironsaint - 5-20-2008 at 05:02 PM

Ninja fights set to shitty metal, no thanks.

upyerbum - 5-20-2008 at 05:14 PM

That's a slick trailer.

clevohardcore - 5-20-2008 at 06:22 PM

This show was recorded? I got to check it out tonight.

MyOwnWay - 5-21-2008 at 09:29 AM

That show was a lot of fun. I admit to not watching a good portion of the show. I was talking to people most of the time. But thats part of what made it so great for me.

Will be purchasing.

MikeFromInhuman - 5-21-2008 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint

If BREAKDOWN, AF, CIV, INHUMAN, DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR, F451,MADBALL, TERROR - are "shitty metal" what's Hardcore?

Can't please em all I guess....

gavin - 5-21-2008 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Quote:

If BREAKDOWN, AF, CIV, INHUMAN, DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR, F451,MADBALL, TERROR - are "shitty metal" what's Hardcore?

of these bands i have heard af, civ, madball and terror.
while i might not use the work shitty, there is def. metal in these band besides civ.
civ just has the suck in them.

tireironsaint - 5-21-2008 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I was actually just describing the trailer for the DVD but honestly, aside from Breakdown and old AF, I would describe every band you listed off as shitty metal. Well, maybe not CIV or Inhuman either, but the shit AF puts out now definitely fits that as do Madball, Terror, F451, and Death Before Dishonor.

Just asking that question tells me you and I have completely different ideas of what is or isn't HC. Shit, at this point I think HC as a genre is actually dead and there are only a couple bands that come along every so often who play something that actually deserves the name. Yeah, this debate has raged here and other places many times, but I stand by the statement that 99% of the bands flying the flag of HC today have no right to use the name to describe themselves.

Six66Mike - 5-21-2008 at 08:48 PM

I'll probably get this, would love to see the track list for it though.

MyOwnWay - 5-21-2008 at 11:06 PM

Those of you calling Fahrenheit 451 "metal" proves to me you really have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Listen to the fucking band before you pass judgement.

Discipline - 5-21-2008 at 11:58 PM

I don't care about genre, I think F541 lick balls.

tireironsaint - 5-22-2008 at 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MyOwnWay
Those of you calling Fahrenheit 451 "metal" proves to me you really have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Listen to the fucking band before you pass judgement.
Heard 'em, sounds like shitty metallic stuff to me. Also sounds like you've got no clue what you're talking about based on that statement. Sorry if you like something I find offensive, but aside from a few bands who were great HC bands many years ago, that festival's line up was far from having anything to do with what HC has always meant to me.

Siczine.com - 5-22-2008 at 12:29 AM

Here we fucking go.

mattybar - 5-22-2008 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent

I have no clue!
Anyone???

It's a pretty old song (well, 2001) called 'Force Fed'.
It's by a rapper called Mr Len (who did some stuff with Company Flow) but features Agents Of Man which is why it sounds heavy.

I remember hearing that way before I'd heard AOM and it took me some time to put the two together.
I always wandered why nobody really talked about that track so was pleasantly surprised to see it on here.

MikeFromInhuman - 5-22-2008 at 09:29 AM

Well, I consider all of the bands I listed as Hardcore.

From what I understand, the dvd will have sets from every band that played, interviews and other behind the scenes stuff from the show.

Hardcore has very small dvd presence if you ask me, so I can't wait for this to come out.

MyOwnWay - 5-22-2008 at 10:06 AM

It makes no difference to me if someone doesnt like them. Thats fine. But they were around in the mid to late ninties and were one of the bands creating a style that followed in Burn's footsteps. I can see people arguments on AF having a more metal sound. But F451 sound absolutely nothing like that and it just blows my mind how anyone can label them metal.

...You know... In thinking about this further as I was typing... There was a "goth" type band named Fahrenheit 451. Which if that is what you heard previousley, your argument would make sense and I retract my statement. Its not the same band.

MikeFromInhuman - 5-22-2008 at 10:27 AM

The Goth F451 was from NYC too!
Mid/late 80's.
The singer went on to be in a band I like called SPAHN RANCH, Industrial stuff.

M.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 5-22-2008 at 02:48 PM

I definitely would not consider F451 metal at all. As far as just musical sound goes, Terror and DBD are both pretty metal. The funny thing is the only person in Death Before Dishonor that listens to actual metal is my brother.
Anyway I'm looking forward to this DVD for sure

Six66Mike - 5-22-2008 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Well, I consider all of the bands I listed as Hardcore.

From what I understand, the dvd will have sets from every band that played, interviews and other behind the scenes stuff from the show.

Hardcore has very small dvd presence if you ask me, so I can't wait for this to come out.

Well now if every band is on it I gotta get it. Make it a double DVD or something with like 3+ songs, or hell full sets, of all bands! :singing:

tireironsaint - 5-22-2008 at 11:16 PM

Quote:
It makes no difference to me if someone doesnt like them. Thats fine. But they were around in the mid to late ninties and were one of the bands creating a style that followed in Burn's footsteps. I can see people arguments on AF having a more metal sound. But F451 sound absolutely nothing like that and it just blows my mind how anyone can label them metal.

...You know... In thinking about this further as I was typing... There was a "goth" type band named Fahrenheit 451. Which if that is what you heard previousley, your argument would make sense and I retract my statement. Its not the same band.

No, it was the same one you're talking about. I wasn't trying to imply that they are metal in the same sense as bands like the new version of AF, Terror or DBD, but I still say there's more of a metal undertone than just about anything I would listen to and consider HC. I actually just went to your myspace page and listened to the song you have up to refresh my memory of their sound since it definitely has been quite a while since I heard them. I absolutely hear the Burn influence you mentioned and that's certainly not the typical crap that's out there in today's "HC" scene, but it still sounds terrible to my ear. No offense meant, but that style doesn't work for me at all.

clevohardcore - 5-22-2008 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
Here we fucking go.

clevohardcore - 5-22-2008 at 11:20 PM

Fahrenheit 451

Really fucking good band.

MyOwnWay - 5-23-2008 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:

No, it was the same one you're talking about. I wasn't trying to imply that they are metal in the same sense as bands like the new version of AF, Terror or DBD, but I still say there's more of a metal undertone than just about anything I would listen to and consider HC. I actually just went to your myspace page and listened to the song you have up to refresh my memory of their sound since it definitely has been quite a while since I heard them. I absolutely hear the Burn influence you mentioned and that's certainly not the typical crap that's out there in today's "HC" scene, but it still sounds terrible to my ear. No offense meant, but that style doesn't work for me at all.

I've rewritten this post several times trying to convey why I got heated by it. I cant seem to find the words. I'll just simply say that their are too many metal bands being called Hardcore, that when a good Hardcore band such as Fahrenheit 451 gets called "metal" it bothers me. From your last post I understand better where you are coming from and respect your opinion of not being into them. Perhaps I shouldnt have gotten so heated about it. I appreciate your last post, including that you took the time to relisten based on this discussion.

BDx13 - 5-23-2008 at 09:15 AM

now that 'hardcore' has been around for 20, 25 years, i have to remind myself often that the word mean different things to different people.

for some, i believe the saint and mrbv included, 'hardcore' is hardcore punkrock - the early stuff from the early to mid 80s. personally, i call music from that era hardcore punkrock just to be clear.

for many here, myself included, 'hardcore' is that slightly heavier, less punk sound that started to appear in the late 80s and early 90s. for me, this era was largely defined by ny-based bands (including f451), so i still tend to refer to it as nyhc (even though i recognize this is geographically limiting and somewhat inaccurate!).

then there is what's been coming out the last several years. it's not full on metal, but the sound has become so aggressive, that if you compare it to stuff from '84, it sure sounds like it is!

these are sort of the three signature phases of 'hardcore' as i see it over the past two and a half decades. 'hardcore' is what it is to you in large part because of when you were introduced to it and how you experienced it.

MyOwnWay - 5-23-2008 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
now that 'hardcore' has been around for 20, 25 years, i have to remind myself often that the word mean different things to different people.

for some, i believe the saint and mrbv included, 'hardcore' is hardcore punkrock - the early stuff from the early to mid 80s. personally, i call music from that era hardcore punkrock just to be clear.

for many here, myself included, 'hardcore' is that slightly heavier, less punk sound that started to appear in the late 80s and early 90s. for me, this era was largely defined by ny-based bands (including f451), so i still tend to refer to it as nyhc (even though i recognize this is geographically limiting and somewhat inaccurate!).

then there is what's been coming out the last several years. it's not full on metal, but the sound has become so aggressive, that if you compare it to stuff from '84, it sure sounds like it is!

these are sort of the three signature phases of 'hardcore' as i see it over the past two and a half decades. 'hardcore' is what it is to you in large part because of when you were introduced to it and how you experienced it.

I never even thought of it that way. Your post is definitely on point.

MikeFromInhuman - 5-23-2008 at 10:23 AM

F451 are Hardcore
DBD are Hardcore
CIV are Hardcore
TERROR are Hardcore

All different styles and types.
THAT is what makes up a well rounded Hardcore scene.

YEP.

M.

CR83 - 5-23-2008 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD

So well said.

tireironsaint - 5-23-2008 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD

Well put, BD. I never even thought to break this stuff down in the way you did because it's such a given to me that it didn't really occur to me that it might not be that way to everybody else in here.
The only thing in there that I would argue with is that there are quite a few bands who recorded in '78 or '79 that I would actually say the genre of HC is about 30 years old now.

tireironsaint - 5-23-2008 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've rewritten this post several times trying to convey why I got heated by it. I cant seem to find the words. I'll just simply say that their are too many metal bands being called Hardcore, that when a good Hardcore band such as Fahrenheit 451 gets called "metal" it bothers me. From your last post I understand better where you are coming from and respect your opinion of not being into them. Perhaps I shouldnt have gotten so heated about it. I appreciate your last post, including that you took the time to relisten based on this discussion.

I can definitely understand why that would bother you, it's kinda the flipside to how I get pissed about metal bands calling themselves HC. I didn't mean at all to lump them in with all those bands, but the way I worded it certainly sounded that way. Listening to them yesterday clarified things for me and I'm always willing to go back and check things out again because sometimes I just have something stuck in my head and it's from so long ago that I've kind of mentally filed it in with a bunch of shit it doesn't really go with. This was sort of one of those situations because while I remembered listening to them on several different occasions, I couldn't really have broken down the sound much more than saying it fit into a mental category encompassing new HC styles that bug me. Most everything else in that category fits into the chugga chug metalcore genre, because that's what most of the crap parading around under the flag of HC sounds like to me today, but there are some bands, like F451, who have a very different sound from that crap even though it's also one that has also moved outside of what I can call "my kind of Hard Core".
I knew based on your posts on this board, that I could at least go to your myspace to find a link to their page to check them out again, but it was even easier than that since you have a song of theirs up. I actually went beyond that and clicked over to the F451 page and listened to a few more songs just so I wouldn't be rejudging them based on only one song.