Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Newbury Comics 'Promotional' Autographed CD booklets

XHonusWagnerX - 8-11-2008 at 05:58 PM

Newbury Comics (the New England based music chain) offers autograped CD booklets with some releases. You can get them if you order the CD on the website. On the website they call the signed CD booklets 'promotional items'.

Ok... now if its a 'promotional item' doesnt that usually mean its free? Either way I think its pretty fucked up that in the listing with the signed booklet the Death & Taxes CD is $17.99, but since they are out of the signed booklets its now priced at $12.99.

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&dep...

I'm just using that one as an example, it seems to be that way with all of the CDs that come signed.

I dont have a problem with selling something signed for more money, but I feel like the Newbury site is making it seem like youre getting an extra signed booklet as a bonus when in reality your paying $5.00 for it.

ps. This is NOT a slight on D&T or any other band that has signed CD booklets through the Newbury program. I just dont really care for the way that Newbury is making it sound vs. the way that it actually is.

gavin - 8-11-2008 at 09:09 PM

this could get into a weird discussion on what i think of autographs

mikeoffbase - 8-11-2008 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Newbury Comics (the New England based music chain) offers autograped CD booklets with some releases. You can get them if you order the CD on the website. On the website they call the signed CD booklets 'promotional items'.

Ok... now if its a 'promotional item' doesnt that usually mean its free? Either way I think its pretty fucked up that in the listing with the signed booklet the Death & Taxes CD is $17.99, but since they are out of the signed booklets its now priced at $12.99.

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&dep...

I'm just using that one as an example, it seems to be that way with all of the CDs that come signed.

I dont have a problem with selling something signed for more money, but I feel like the Newbury site is making it seem like youre getting an extra signed booklet as a bonus when in reality your paying $5.00 for it.

ps. This is NOT a slight on D&T or any other band that has signed CD booklets through the Newbury program. I just dont really care for the way that Newbury is making it sound vs. the way that it actually is.

This is news to me. I'll admit that I haven't really looked at Newbs online page for the D&T C.D. after the first week or so that it was out, but I've never seen it listed at that $17.99 price, and I along with Jeff were under the impression that those were free with the first batch or C.D. that were sold through them.

Did anyone here actually pay $17.99 through them?

XnMeX - 8-11-2008 at 10:39 PM

I know I wouldn't have payed 17.99 because I am a cheap bastard (thought after buying the cd, it is well worth 17.99) so I am sure I only payed 12.99 IN one of their stores (not online) and it came iwht the extra booklet. I bought it in record store apreciation day when Makr Lind played a solo set.

tireironsaint - 8-12-2008 at 12:37 AM

I got it through their online store right when it came out..... actually, now that I think about it, I believe I pre-ordered it and if I remember correctly it was in the 12 dollar range and it came with the signed booklet. Honestly, I could care less about signatures/autographs from anybody so I definitely wouldn't pay more for that.

jeffandtaxes - 8-12-2008 at 08:17 AM

Hey, I would agree with you if the store ever did sell them for $17.99, but they didn't. When they asked us to do that promotion we agreed, and they were pre-sold at $12.99, never $17.99. I don't even know where that number comes from.

I appreciate every one of you guys who may have purchased a copy of the cd, we all do. Thanks for enjoying the music, but I gotta be honest, we haven't, nor will we ever probably see dollar one from sales of cd's. It's just the nature of the business.

Autographs? I was at a TSOL show in Hollywood 8 years ago and ran into Dexter Holland at the bar.

I said "Hey, Dexter can I get you to sign this napkin for me?"

He was cool, said "Yeah, sure. What's your name?"

I replied "It's not for me, it's for my 10 year old son, Tommy. He's your biggest fan".

He was bummed but signed it anyway.

I have a few autographs on cd's from guys I have met and whom I respect like John Doe, Dave Alvin, Tito Larriva and a few others. No slight against autograph seekers, I think it's cool if you're into that, and cool if you're not.

XHonusWagnerX - 8-12-2008 at 08:56 AM

I'm actually a big fan of autographs. I know its dorky and lame in a lot of ways, but I just think its cool to have something by an artist, musician, writer that is signed by them. I dont know why, but I have kind of always been into it. I bought the D&T CD in a Newbury Store and was actually bummed that I didnt get the signed booklet because I thought I would.

Anyway... just so no one thinks Im nuts or just made up the $17.99 price, here is a screen shot of the Newbury online store. Maybe its a mistake or something and it never sold at that price, but it does say $17.99 for that CD as well as almost all the others that come with the signed booklets.

jeffandtaxes - 8-12-2008 at 09:00 AM

Yeah, I don't dispute that it says $17.99 but I can assure you it sold for $12.99 in pre-sale and ever since.

Tell you what, anyone that wants an autograph can send us their cd insert with SASE for return and we'll sign it for nuthin.
How's that?

JawnDiablo - 8-12-2008 at 09:01 AM

the only autographs I have are asshole and proud records i bought on ebay from Paul and he signed them nicely.
them and random old Phillies / Flyers players from when I was a kid.

bombidol - 8-12-2008 at 09:01 AM

could those prices include shipping?

XHonusWagnerX - 8-12-2008 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombidol
could those prices include shipping?

Nope I just checked that and its an additional $3.50 for shipping

BDx13 - 8-12-2008 at 12:07 PM

when i ordered the rereleased meanest of times cd w/dvd, it came with an autographed cover.

Mark Lind - 8-12-2008 at 01:35 PM

I'd pay more than $5 for Jeff Morris' autograph.

Discipline - 8-12-2008 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
the only autographs I have are asshole and proud records i bought on ebay from Paul and he signed them nicely.

I have one of those. It says "Thanks for your money, Rev. Paul Bearer."

Had to have it.

gavin - 8-12-2008 at 02:17 PM

i have abdullah the butcher, mick foley(signed as cactus jack) and terry funk.

i need no more ever

XHonusWagnerX - 8-12-2008 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin

i need no more ever

I have Mick Foley signed "Mick Foley - Hardcore Legend" on a folding chair! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

clevohardcore - 8-12-2008 at 03:12 PM

I have no autograph stuff.

BDx13 - 8-12-2008 at 04:54 PM

i think the only 'autographed' items i own are music related...
- couple of Misfits 7"s
- Shane Macgowan shirt
- Ray Conniff South American tour poster
- huge Cranberries UK tour paster
- 2 Tad 7"s signed by Pushead (they're on Pusmort)
- Tad LP

Discipline - 8-12-2008 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin

i need no more ever

I want to get Antiseen's "Dear Abby" 7" autographed by those three and Sabu on the drawings of them.

BDx13 - 8-12-2008 at 05:05 PM

i just remembered i have a few signed skateboard items too - tony alva, neil blender, tony hawk, billy ruff, lance mountain, steve caballero, etc. mostly stuff from my youth and from when i worked for a skate company in mid-90s.

Siczine.com - 8-12-2008 at 06:50 PM

I am a huge Flyers fan and Ron Hextall/Bernie Parent are my two favorites so I have a lot of autographs from both of them, from going to games and free signings.

XnMeX - 8-12-2008 at 07:08 PM

I have the aformentioned cd booklet signed
Butcher Knife (real one) signed by Tony Moran (AKA Michael Myers from Halloween 1+2)
(I am getting it signed on the blade as well this year by Michael Myers from Halloween 4,5,and6)
Original TCM 2 poster signed by Leatherface, the Lead female (character name "Stretch")
(I am also getting it signed later this year by Bill Mosely (Chop Top, Otis from Devil's Rejects) and Tom Savini (one of the best old school makeup artsits in horror)
Gunnar Hanson signed photo (leatherface in TSM 1)
leatherface in TCM 2's auto 8x10
leatherface in TCM 3's auto 8x10
Marilyn Burns auto (Sally Hardesty AKA the surviving feamle from TCM 1) 8x10
Tony Todd (Candyman) 8x10
Tony Todd signed Candyman poster
Andrew Divoff (Played the Russian guy AKA "Patchy" on LOST the tv show) 8x10
Signed paper hockey mask by Kane Hoder (Played JASON in numerous movies)
Mini Dawn of the Dead poster I had made signed by Ken Foree (lead guy, also in Devil's Rejects) and the guy who played Roger.
Vanilla Ice signed tape cover (to the extreme)
Vanilla Ice signed Ninja Rap TMNT2 music video VHS signle
Vanilla Ice signed "Cool as Ice" on VHS
Mindless Self Indulgence "Rebel to anything" cd cover signed by Jimmy Urine and Lyn z
Comedian Patton Oswalt signed poster
Comedian Lisa Lampanelli signed DVD cover
August Underground's Penance signed by 4 people including the star / creator / director and FX person.
Tom Green Donrus Americana card with a swatch of his jeans, signed
North Side Kings "Suburban Royalty" vinyl signed by Danny

I might be missing some but that is the bulk of it...

JawnDiablo - 8-12-2008 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Quote:

I have one of those. It says "Thanks for your money, Rev. Paul Bearer."

Had to have it.

yes sir.
says the same thing on mine.
i have the pic disc, the green and the black.
Paul rules.

JawnDiablo - 8-12-2008 at 07:43 PM

My son has so many friggin Philly team autographs it makes me sick.
His grandpa takes him everywhere to get the stuff.
Him and Robin Roberts are friends and stuff.
I gave him my Mike Schmidt stuff and flyers stuff.
brat

Siczine.com - 8-12-2008 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
My son has so many friggin Philly team autographs it makes me sick.
His grandpa takes him everywhere to get the stuff.
Him and Robin Roberts are friends and stuff.
I gave him my Mike Schmidt stuff and flyers stuff.
brat

That's just being a good dad is all.

clevohardcore - 8-13-2008 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
i just remembered i have a few signed skateboard items too - tony alva, neil blender, tony hawk, billy ruff, lance mountain, steve caballero, etc. mostly stuff from my youth and from when i worked for a skate company in mid-90s.

^^^^^^^^ What company? I assume Powell Peralta right?

BDx13 - 8-13-2008 at 01:49 AM

i did design work for east coast urethane in dc, which was the parent company of capital skateboards, silverstar skateboards, nicotine wheel company, big east wheel co., first division wheels, and intensity skates (the old-school distributor).

riders included ricky oyola, bucky lasek, eric dressen, ryan hickey, pepe martinez, andy stone, sean sheffey, kris markovich, etc, etc, etc...