Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

tropic thunder protest

clevohardcore - 8-12-2008 at 01:30 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_en_mo/film_tropic_...

DAK - 8-12-2008 at 01:45 PM

I am so sick the pc world.

Discipline - 8-12-2008 at 01:51 PM

People look for any reason to piss and moan as a way of highlighting their cause.

barc0debaby - 8-12-2008 at 02:17 PM

Thats a pretty retarded argument

BKT - 8-12-2008 at 02:59 PM

I have no problem with people being able to say things like this. But it needs to work right across the board not just for certain groups. You want to make fun of the mentally disabled then by the same token you should be allowed to make fun of blacks and call them niggers as well. No one should get an exemption from this rule and you can bet that is it was white people calling blacks, niggers then this movie would never have seen the light of day.

MM.

morgan - 8-12-2008 at 03:13 PM

Is it bad that my first thought after reading the headline was "I bet those protests would be pretty damn funny to watch."?

JawnDiablo - 8-12-2008 at 03:50 PM

aside from all of this crap...I can't stand Stiller at all really......

clevohardcore - 8-12-2008 at 03:51 PM

he is funny.

joemaconmovies - 8-12-2008 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
People look for any reason to piss and moan as a way of highlighting their cause.

there's a difference between being truly offensive and parody.

clevohardcore - 8-12-2008 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Is it bad that my first thought after reading the headline was "I bet those protests would be pretty damn funny to watch."?

^^^^^^^ There is audio of some of the protests. And yes it is exactly as you imagine them.

JawnDiablo - 8-12-2008 at 07:44 PM

did people protest "the ringer"?

DaveMoral - 8-12-2008 at 08:15 PM

I'm surprised it's not a protest about Downey Jr essentially being in black face for more of the movie.

morgan - 8-12-2008 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I'm surprised it's not a protest about Downey Jr essentially being in black face for more of the movie.

I figured if anything this is what it would've caught hell for.

DeathByForce - 8-12-2008 at 09:12 PM

The word 'Nigger' has a much more slanderous history than the word 'retard.' Comparing the two is completely ridiculous and just not needed.

I'd say the use of the word 'retard' could be likened more with the word 'eskimo.'

There's different levels of stigma's. I think the problem here is that the modern world has forced most to believe that we NEED to be political correct on all levels. Which I think is bullshit and is just another way to sanitize and get everyone thinking one way. Which is ultimately unneeded and uncalled for.

clevohardcore - 8-13-2008 at 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
did people protest "the ringer"?

^^^^^^^^ No because NOXVILLE paid the actors very well and also did some really good PR. PLus they were not viewed as negative in the movie from what I understood, but I haven't seen the movie.

bombidol - 8-13-2008 at 04:17 AM

But arent they Mentally retarded? isnt that what they are? Is saying that a bad thing now?

Dave - 8-13-2008 at 08:01 AM

no the way to get around everything and make it "PC" is to put the word "Challenged" after everything....:starhit:

mentally Challenged
sight Challenged
height Challenged
hearing Challenged
sexually Challenged:cul:
wealthy Challenged
educationally Challenged
mobility Challenged

and so on.........

upyerbum - 8-13-2008 at 09:10 AM

People need to shut the fuck up. Whining little bitches.

barc0debaby - 8-13-2008 at 10:05 AM

retarded

adjective
1. relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development.

Hey you relatively slow mentaly, emotionaly or physically developed person. Just to be on the safe side, the word retard should be replaced with the later in all jokes.

DAK - 8-13-2008 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum

:thumbup:

xoversux - 8-13-2008 at 12:25 PM

I used to work at an optics company and the terms "retard" ,"retardence" , "retardation" "retarded" even "retarder" (which would be a good name for a band) were throw around on a daily basis.

...even after 5 years I still chuckled.

upyerbum - 8-13-2008 at 01:51 PM

In sign language they actually use the term "fisting". My buddies girlfriend was a sign language interpereter and I remember her coming home from a class and telling us about this lecture, and how she was near in tears cuz the guy kept going on about "fisting".

moron - 8-13-2008 at 02:31 PM

So people are protesting. So what? I doubt it's gonna get the movie banned anywhere. Let people have their say, and move on.

I personally hate when people use to word "retard" or say "that's retarded", but I rarely call anyone out on it. I actually only call my wife out when she says it.

SS76 - 8-13-2008 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoversux
"retarder" (which would be a good name for a band)

retarder is already a cd by the Unband....you've all heard them on the movie super troopers(geez louise in the intro)...and if you haven't seen it...sucks to be you.

newbreedbrian - 8-13-2008 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum

morgan - 8-13-2008 at 04:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75qtw9MkOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHHQu4CIos

If there is a hell I am definitely going there when I die.

DAK - 8-13-2008 at 05:19 PM

See you in hell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mv0KsuyiSU

XnMeX - 8-14-2008 at 07:47 AM

Think possitive guys! They can be a productive part of society...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClfU2NStY

mattybar - 8-14-2008 at 08:06 AM

oof

this thread is kinda ugly
especially given as everyone was falling over themselves to offer support to someone on here with mental issues not too long ago

just sayin'