Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

THat drummmer from BLINK 182 and other bands was injured in a plane crash.

clevohardcore - 9-20-2008 at 11:51 AM

COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina officials say four California residents died in the fiery Learjet crash that also critically injured former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and celebrity DJ AM.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Lexington County coroner said Saturday that pilot Sarah Lemmon of Anaheim Hills and co-pilot James Bland of Carlsbad died. Also killed were passengers Chris Baker, 29, of Studio City, and Charles Still, 25, of Los Angeles.

Authorities say the plane carrying six people was departing shortly before midnight Friday when air traffic controllers reporting seeing sparks. The plane headed for Van Nuys, Calif., went off a runway, through a fence and crashed on a nearby road.

Barker and DJ AM, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, were in critical condition at a burn center in Augusta, Ga.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-20-2008 at 12:00 PM

wow.... that sucks!

ShawnRefuse - 9-20-2008 at 01:34 PM

fuct up.

defstarsteve - 9-20-2008 at 01:59 PM

what the deuce?
last time I outsource for henchmen....
if you want a hit done right you gotta do it yourself, I hope I can get a refund....

actually sucksto be burnt alive, but not as bad as all the crappy music he has put out.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-20-2008 at 04:35 PM

this is like the mall-punk version of the Richie Vallens story

gavin - 9-20-2008 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
this is like the mall-punk version of the Richie Vallens story

bwahaha
i like the big bopper better than any of these dudes
but honestly im sorry it happened

MarkV - 9-20-2008 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
actually sucksto be burnt alive, but not as bad as all the crappy music he has put out.

Real cool, dude.

Voodoobillyman - 9-20-2008 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:

Real cool, dude.

Yup, we offend all who have not been around long enough to know better. yes, this sucks, but really, who REALLY gives that much of a fuck. I don't know him, I know I don't dig his tunes, as Steve has already pointed out. I feel bad for his kids. After spending as much time as I did where I did I have learned that life can throw some fuckin curveballs at ya bro.............for real.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 9-20-2008 at 07:16 PM

Barker's security dude who was killed was an FSU guy who was hanging out with everyone on the final night of the Terror / Death Before Dishonor tour a week ago. Fuckin weird and sad to hang out with somebody who would die less than a week later.

MarkV - 9-20-2008 at 07:20 PM

Trust me, I'm not offended easily, and I can dish it with the best of them.
This isn't really a matter of being offended. People died. 2 people are in critical condition. I'd probably think the comment was shitty even if it wasn't someone "famous."

That being said, he's an enormously talented guy who's done a lot for bands, musicians, kids, etc. I have a good number of friends that are very tight with him who are probably totally panic stricken right now wondering if their friend is going to live or die.

Update: I knew one of the dudes. Only knew him by his nickname. So, yeah, my point stands.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-20-2008 at 09:10 PM

I feel bad about it, but stuff like this bums me out because I dont get why its news. Its a personal thing that his family (and the familys of all the other people on the plane) should know about but why am I entitled to know?

Also, people die & are hurt every minute of every day and I'm sure that a lot of them are big influences on kids and adults in a ton of different ways, but we never hear about those people (most of them at least) because they are not famous.

*let me say that I am not contradicting myself by saying "Why do we hear about Travis etc when it should be none of my buisness" yet I said "we dont hear about non famous people". I dont think that we should hear about anyones personal buisness.

MarkV - 9-20-2008 at 09:58 PM

There's always coverage with fatal plane crashes like this.

barc0debaby - 9-20-2008 at 11:42 PM

Some dude at work was in tears because of this. A grown ass man wet in the eye because someone he didn't know and never met was hurt. I would have smacked him in the mouth if it werent for the fact he was packin heat.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-21-2008 at 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Some dude at work was in tears because of this. A grown ass man wet in the eye because someone he didn't know and never met was hurt.

Travis is no Cobain & that wasnt even anything to cry about.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-21-2008 at 12:29 AM

Quote:

yeah, I guess I just dont know why.

SS76 - 9-21-2008 at 01:37 AM

Quote:
Some dude at work was in tears because of this. A grown ass man wet in the eye because someone he didn't know and never met was hurt.\

I was that way for Dimebag for some reason I can't explain. Only time in my life that ever happened.

defstarsteve - 9-21-2008 at 01:46 AM

Quote:
Some dude at work was in tears because of this. A grown ass man wet in the eye because someone he didn't know and never met was hurt. I would have smacked him in the mouth if it werent for the fact he was packin heat.

and that's why I made the joke...
too many people live thru the lives of famous people instead of doing shit themselves...

sucks it happened but there was no discussion of the Russian plane crash last week where 88 people were killed...

kill a celebrity

XHonusWagnerX - 9-21-2008 at 09:35 AM

Quote:

kill a celebrity
:thumbup:

I was bummed when Johnny Ramone died but not crying about it. Then I remembered all the stories about what a dick Johnny was....

clevohardcore - 9-21-2008 at 01:05 PM

I was sad when the guy from ERASURE announced he had aids. Also when John Elway retired. Or when THE CURE retired, not the first time but the 7th time. Just after the DISINTEGRATION tour.

I got to finish my paper. PEACE OUT!

MarkV - 9-21-2008 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

So what is the news supposed to cover?

XHonusWagnerX - 9-21-2008 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what is the news supposed to cover?

Government, Weather, Public Events. Things that effect people & that dont have any privacy issues.

Theres all the Hippa-laws that protect people in hospitals, but they report on the news that celebrities are in hospitals for different things and what not.

MarkV - 9-21-2008 at 05:17 PM

So fatal plane crashes have no place on the news? That doesn't effect the public?
How about crimes where people are killed, or just crime in general?

XHonusWagnerX - 9-21-2008 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
So fatal plane crashes have no place on the news? That doesn't effect the public?

I dont see a way that a plane crash effects the public unless it causes things to close down.

Crime I can see effecting people that were not invloved. I think my point is getting lost. My main complaint is that I dont think that peoples names should be on the news. Like WHO it is that got killed or WHO was in the plane crash or WHO was robbed or WHOS house was broken into. That stuff seems personal to me.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-21-2008 at 09:48 PM

Heres a longer write up...

http://www. cnn. com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/20/barker. plane. crash/index. html

(CNN) -- Former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and disc jockey Adam "DJ AM" Goldstein were in critical condition with extensive burns Saturday after a jet crash the night before that killed four people, authorities said.

Lexington County Coroner Harry O. Harman said all the dead were Californians. He identified them as pilot Sarah Lemmon, 31, of Anaheim Hills; co-pilot James Bland, 52, of Carlsbad; Chris Baker, 29, of Studio City; and Charles Still, 25, of Los Angeles.

The National Transportation Safety Board has sent team to Columbia, South Carolina, to investigate the crash.

The Learjet 60 crashed on takeoff at the Columbia Metropolitan Airport at 11:53 p.m. Friday.

Beth Frits, spokeswoman at the Joseph Still Burn Center, in Augusta, Georgia, said Barker and Goldstein arrived at the hospital early Saturday. She said both men had "extensive burns.
"

Barker and Goldstein had played at a huge free outdoor concert in Columbia's Five Points district on Saturday night, CNN affiliate WIS-TV said.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the twin-engine, private jet was cleared for takeoff on a flight to Van Nuys, California, and began its takeoff roll a few minutes before midnight.

Air traffic controllers "saw sparks coming from the runway -- whether that was from the aircraft or its engines, we don't know," Bergen said Saturday.

"They overran the end of runway 11. They impacted the antenna array and a number of lights at the end of the runway. They went through the perimeter fence and across the roadway here," said NTSB spokeswoman Debbie Hersman, briefing reporters on Saturday. "There was a significant post-crash fire.
"

William Owens told WIS-TV he was driving down Highway 302 when he said he saw a fireball go across the road.

"I didn't know what I had seen -- it was maybe 800 feet in front of me, but as I approached it closer though, I made out a fire. By then I was able to see the tail of the jet and I recognized it as a jet," Owens said.

Owens told the station he tried to get to the wreckage.

"It's in flames and the fuel is running across the road and I had to cross the fuel to get to the two guys that seemed to have been dumped on the highway," Owens said.

Owens told WIS-TV the two men were running around and pulling off clothing to put out the flames. He said he asked them if anyone else was on board the plane and they said four people were with them.

"We turned to the jet to try and see if there was anything we could do, but immediately, there was nothing anyone could do," Owens said.

The airport was closed Saturday morning, and Hersman said the NTSB was working as quickly as possible to document the evidence on the runway and other airport property, so the airport could re-open.

advertisement

She said investigators would look at every aspect of the crash, from the pilots' schedules to the aircraft's condition. She said it was a fairly new airplane, which was manufactured in 2006 and certified to operate in 2007.

In addition to playing with Blink-182, Barker appeared in the MTV reality show "Meet the Barkers," along with his wife at the time, former Miss USA Shanna Moakler, according to MTV's Web site.

MarkV - 9-22-2008 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I dont see a way that a plane crash effects the public unless it causes things to close down.

Crime I can see effecting people that were not invloved. I think my point is getting lost. My main complaint is that I dont think that peoples names should be on the news. Like WHO it is that got killed or WHO was in the plane crash or WHO was robbed or WHOS house was broken into. That stuff seems personal to me.

It did close down that airport, and safety issues with planes effects pretty much everyone.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-22-2008 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It did close down that airport, and safety issues with planes effects pretty much everyone.

I see what you're saying and I understand it. I just dont feel like I would want my name or my familys names on the news if they were hurt. It should be up to the family if they want to make an anouncement wether its someone famous or not. They could have said that 8 people were in a plane crash at such & such an airport. 6 were killed & 2 in critical condition.

BKT - 9-23-2008 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:

and that's why I made the joke...
too many people live thru the lives of famous people instead of doing shit themselves...

sucks it happened but there was no discussion of the Russian plane crash last week where 88 people were killed...

kill a celebrity

Best point made.

Travis is talented and I love a lot of what he did. As always I feel for this close friends and family and I hope he gets better, like I would with anyone. Other than that I don't have any vested interest in this.

MM.

franklo - 9-23-2008 at 04:35 PM

Its always weird to me when people are in tears for someone they didnt know.I was a little sad when raybez(sp) died.I only met him once,not enough to really know him and start crying.-Frank

MarkV - 9-23-2008 at 06:23 PM

People connect with art, whether it be film, music, paintings, etc. When you've established some kind of connection or you identify with some work, or artist, it makes sense to have some sort of emotional reaction to death or whatever.
Do you not cheer for a sports team? It's really not much different than that.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-23-2008 at 07:19 PM

Quote:

I cant relate to people that get that involved in a sports team either.

BDx13 - 9-23-2008 at 07:27 PM

for me...
sports teams, no.
musician, yes.
but not many.
johnny cash upset me.
shane macgowan will when the time comes.

barc0debaby - 9-23-2008 at 07:36 PM

I feel like punching people in the throat when the Raiders lose.

thedog - 9-24-2008 at 01:27 AM

Quote:
I feel like punching people in the throat when the Raiders lose.

thats often then.

MarkV - 9-24-2008 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

So aside from Slapshot, is there anything you do really like?

BKT - 9-24-2008 at 04:25 PM

He likes booze. The guy is a total booze hound.

MM.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-24-2008 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is that some sort of sarcastic jab at me?

Yeah, I like a lot of things, but I'm not going to cry about them and I'm not going to be upset if I dont hear about them on the news.

MarkV - 9-24-2008 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I like a lot of things, but I'm not going to cry about them and I'm not going to be upset if I dont hear about them on the news.

I wish there was a better icon to use to represent, "nevermind."
You've never struck me as having much of a sense of humor, so this doesn't surprise.

defstarsteve - 9-24-2008 at 08:48 PM

Look honus is a good dude...there is no need to badger him.

I made the jokes, and I stand by them

I could give a shit if it was some drummer from some crap band or jesus christ...
it makes no differance.

people die everyday and don't get a fucking headline.
the ones I know and care for are just that
and everyone else can burn baby burn...

and I hold a lot of the people on this board to the standard where if something happened to them I'd be right by their side....
and I have not met most of them, nor even know thier real names...

it has happened before and will no doubt happen again and we will be there for each other...
but I'm not going to cry when O.J. finally gets the chair, nor charles manson or about anyone else....
be it the guy who lives down the street, or the next block over...

26 people died 2 miles from my house in a huge trainwreck...
where are their names?
what are their stories?
what about the people who rushed into the flames to save them....

some drummers plane crashed...
damn sucks sorry next story.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-24-2008 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
You've never struck me as having much of a sense of humor, so this doesn't surprise.

I dont know who you are or how you know me, but dont worry about my sense of humor.

MarkV - 9-25-2008 at 03:16 PM

You were the drummer in Blackstone Valley Crew, no? You've been posting on messageboards for eons. Plus, I've had other contact with you over the years. I offered to buy your van at one point.

gavin - 9-25-2008 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

what the fuck man?
you cant make a fuckin point without "attacking" someone?

Discipline - 9-25-2008 at 04:03 PM

Don't mess with the lawnmower man.

BDx13 - 9-25-2008 at 04:14 PM

oooh, how exciting!
have honus and mark's paths crossed in the past?
does honus have a sense of humor about things other than coca cola?
will mark be inspired to create a custom "nevermind" icon for the board?
will lawnmower man mow my lawn?

i'm just breakin' balls.
this is about as dramatic as things get here.

defstarsteve - 9-25-2008 at 04:20 PM

how much are the lawn care services?
and big d you have been talking way too much about breaking big balls lately...

oh and nevermind

XHonusWagnerX - 9-25-2008 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
You were the drummer in Blackstone Valley Crew, no? You've been posting on messageboards for eons. Plus, I've had other contact with you over the years. I offered to buy your van at one point.

No I wasnt the drummer in the band, I was the guitar player, and if you tried to buy the van from someone that was in the band, that wasnt me, it was the drummer.

xChino_Martinezx - 9-25-2008 at 05:14 PM

everyone here needs to chill before someone ends under Gavin's lawnmowing machine...

so it's time for a hatebreed joke for all of us to enjoy the moment and laugh together like a good family:

Jesus, Satan and Jamey Jasta get out of the mosh pit and head to the bar for a drink... Jesus asks the bartender for a glass of water and turns it into wine... he's a badass immortal hippie... satan asks the bartender for a glass of holy water and turns it into the most brutal russian vodka... this is the real satan, not Danny Diablo pretending to be evil and cool because he uses the devil's face and name for promotions... the real satan lives next to Gavin and pays him 30 bucks to mow his lawn... finally, Jamey Jasta approches the bartender and asks him for a glass of milk, then with a Clint Eastwood/Schwarzenegger look in his eyes, he turns his milk into chocolate milk, chewing and spiting the chocolate into the milk so he can enjoy it and still look tough in front of the other hardcore kids...

and if you didn't like my joke, BD is gonna break your balls!

gavin - 9-25-2008 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xChino_Martinezx
everyone here needs to chill before someone ends under Gavin's lawnmowing machine...

so it's time for a hatebreed joke for all of us to enjoy the moment and laugh together like a good family:

Jesus, Satan and Jamey Jasta get out of the mosh pit and head to the bar for a drink... Jesus asks the bartender for a glass of water and turns it into wine... he's a badass immortal hippie... satan asks the bartender for a glass of holy water and turns it into the most brutal russian vodka... this is the real satan, not Danny Diablo pretending to be evil and cool because he uses the devil's face and name for promotions... the real satan lives next to Gavin and pays him 30 bucks to mow his lawn... finally, Jamey Jasta approches the bartender and asks him for a glass of milk, then with a Clint Eastwood/Schwarzenegger look in his eyes, he turns his milk into chocolate milk, chewing and spiting the chocolate into the milk so he can enjoy it and still look tough in front of the other hardcore kids...

and if you didn't like my joke, BD is gonna break your balls!

i wouldnt mow satans lawn for $30.
my wife pays me 50 for mine so........

MarkV - 9-25-2008 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No I wasnt the drummer in the band, I was the guitar player, and if you tried to buy the van from someone that was in the band, that wasnt me, it was the drummer.

I don't remember who in the band I dealt with about the van. But have you not posted on several message boards throughout the years and are friends with Mark McKay?

Hey Gavin-
I wasn't "attacking" anyone. Wasn't it earlier in this same thread where I was told you guys tended to offend new people around here or something along those lines. I haven't shit yet that comes close to attacking anyone.

gavin - 9-25-2008 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't remember who in the band I dealt with about the van. But have you not posted on several message boards throughout the years and are friends with Mark McKay?

Hey Gavin-
I wasn't "attacking" anyone. Wasn't it earlier in this same thread where I was told you guys tended to offend new people around here or something along those lines. I haven't shit yet that comes close to attacking anyone.

you werent told that by me
i actually agree with you for the most part about what you're saying
you just seem to have an attitude in this thread for no real reason i can see.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-25-2008 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah I'm friends with Mark. I've really only posted on a couple of message boards over the years. I still dont know who you are, but it doesnt matter. I'll take my opinions and bow out of this thread.

barc0debaby - 9-25-2008 at 10:42 PM

MarkV - 9-25-2008 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Gavin-

you werent told that by me
i actually agree with you for the most part about what you're saying
you just seem to have an attitude in this thread for no real reason i can see.

I realize you didn't say that. But the poster who did say it, seemed to imply that comments like the original one were par for the course. So my point was my comment about someone not having a sense of humor doesn't seem anywhere near as offensive as insinuating that being burnt alive is better than listening to Blink 182 or whatever.
So if me kind of lightheartedly saying "you don't have a sense of humor" is "attacking" or "taking an attitude," then so be it.

gavin - 9-26-2008 at 12:35 AM

so be it then

xChino_Martinezx - 9-26-2008 at 07:00 PM

Quote:

wow, that's a great deal... if you need an assistant, let me know, man... for 10 bucks, I'll pick up the leaves, the branches and water the plants...

gavin - 9-26-2008 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xChino_Martinezx
Quote:

wow, that's a great deal... if you need an assistant, let me know, man... for 10 bucks, I'll pick up the leaves, the branches and water the plants...

alright sweet
we can have our own lawn care biz going in no time

defstarsteve - 9-26-2008 at 07:33 PM

shit I pay my guy here 20 a week...
damn low cost labor...

JawnDiablo - 9-26-2008 at 09:37 PM

anyone wanna detail my car?
$100 for ya

morgan - 9-27-2008 at 04:16 AM

Anybody know the condition of these guys? Hate to admit it but I am curious to know whats going on.

Six66Mike - 9-27-2008 at 08:33 AM

You cut your shit too often, I get our back yard cut once every 2-3 months. It never gets very long being a drought & all, soon it'll be brown dirt again for the summer.

Furly - 9-27-2008 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Anybody know the condition of these guys? Hate to admit it but I am curious to know whats going on.

DJ AM released from burn hospital after jet crash
By MEG KINNARD – 11 hours ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Celebrity disc jockey DJ AM has been released from a Georgia hospital after suffering severe burns in a fiery plane crash a week ago, a spokeswoman for the musician said Friday.

"While he is deeply saddened by the events he is thankful for all of the love and support he has been receiving from fans and friends," spokeswoman Jenni Weinman said in a statement.

DJ AM, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, and former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker, were rushed to a burn hospital in Augusta, Ga., after their Learjet crashed on takeoff from a Columbia airport. Doctors have said they expect both men to fully recover.

Two pilots and two other passengers who were close friends of the musicians were killed in the crash just before midnight Sept. 19.

An officer who was among the first on the scene said the musicians told him they escaped the flaming wreckage by sliding down a wing.

A hospital spokeswoman would not say when Barker was expected to be released. The head of the burn hospital said it can take up to one year to heal from the second- and third-degree burns the men suffered. But Dr. Fred Mullins said he didn't expect it to take that long for the musicians to heal.

The Learjet shot off the end of the runway, ripped through a fence and crossed a highway before coming to rest. Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board have not said what caused the crash, but spokesman Peter Knudson said he expects the agency to release a preliminary report next week.

NTSB officials have said a cockpit voice recorder revealed that crew members thought a tire blew and tried to abort the takeoff. Investigators recovered pieces of tire from the runway.