Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

REDSOX

clevohardcore - 10-7-2008 at 04:01 PM

Now its getting wicked old. How about a Dodgers vs Devil Rays series?

DeathByForce - 10-7-2008 at 05:06 PM

Say what you want. It's kind of silly to hate on them for doing well. They're a solid team, with a great roster of young players. Who is left on the organization from the 2004 win? Seriously.. look who hit the walk off single to win game 4. Jed Lowrie!

I will follow this team to the end of the Earth. To hell with the Rays.

Siczine.com - 10-7-2008 at 05:27 PM

Phillies vs. Rays.

GO PHILLIES!

DeathByForce - 10-7-2008 at 05:30 PM

Dodgers will take the Phillies. Nuff said.

JawnDiablo - 10-7-2008 at 06:44 PM

no
the Phillies will be victorious.
they had better be damn it.
been waiting a while,,,,,

Siczine.com - 10-7-2008 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByForce
Dodgers will take the Phillies. Nuff said.

We shall see.

clevohardcore - 10-7-2008 at 08:26 PM

I would like to see Philly take it, but I would love to see Billingsley pitch against the Rays in the series. That dude is mcnasty.

clevohardcore - 10-7-2008 at 08:28 PM

That being said everyone contending from here on out deserves to be. Boston is great as well, but its the RAYS/ DODGERS year.

barc0debaby - 10-7-2008 at 09:09 PM

Dodgers all the way, I'd like to see Dodgers vs the Sox just cause both teams got alot of history. Plus after the bullshit the Marlins pulled the year after they won the series I think Florida baseball deserves a goddamn curse.

Siczine.com - 10-7-2008 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Plus after the bullshit the Marlins pulled the year after they won the series I think Florida baseball deserves a goddamn curse.

What do you mean? The fact that they dismantled their team which they did after they won it in 97' and 03'.

thedog - 10-7-2008 at 10:42 PM

F' the Dodgers.
Lets go Phils.

MarkV - 10-8-2008 at 12:10 AM

Quote:
Say what you want. It's kind of silly to hate on them for doing well. They're a solid team, with a great roster of young players. Who is left on the organization from the 2004 win? Seriously.. look who hit the walk off single to win game 4. Jed Lowrie!

I love that Sox fans have become everything they accused Yankees' fans of being.

I also don't think the Phillies have much of a chance. Granted, I'm a bit biased but the Dodgers are hot as shit.

JawnDiablo - 10-8-2008 at 06:29 AM

Howard and Utley will smash em

clevohardcore - 10-8-2008 at 12:49 PM

Howard is a staple on my fantasy team. Dude is a champ.

That being said Dodgers face Red Sox and Manny hits a 3 run bomb in Fenway. Does the lazy man Manny strut to home plate. Just imagine that.

moron - 10-8-2008 at 04:33 PM

The Rays in the World Series would make for a great story. Im a Sox fan so obviously I'd like to see them win, but I won't be too bothered if they lose to the Rays. They've played really well all year.

I don't really give a shit about either NL team though it would be nice to see the Phillies win if only to deny Manny another World Series. I only say that because of the way he left Boston.

MarkV - 10-8-2008 at 04:44 PM

I still don't get the Manny situation. That dude acted like a grade a clown for the past 5 years, pulling the same shit year after year, dissing mgt, etc. Now, this year, because the owners finally moved him, "Red Sox Nation" hates him? Everyone made excuses for him and his behaviour year after year as he slammed homer after homer.

Siczine.com - 10-8-2008 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:

I love that Sox fans have become everything they accused Yankees' fans of being.

I also don't think the Phillies have much of a chance. Granted, I'm a bit biased but the Dodgers are hot as shit.

The Dodgers are 22-8 over their last 30 and the Phillies are 21-9 and the one loss difference is the loss against the Brewers and the Dodgers swept the Cubs.

Granted, the Dodgers beat the supposed best team in the NL, but the Cubs hit a lull at the worst time. The Brewers were hotter going into the playoffs than the Cubs were and the playoffs are all about who gets hot at the right time.

MarkV - 10-8-2008 at 05:11 PM

The Cubs weren't great during the series, you're right, and the Brewers were "hotter" going in, but the Brewers were not very good.

Siczine.com - 10-8-2008 at 05:17 PM

My point was yes the Dodgers are hot, but so are the Phillies. I can see this being a 6-7 games series.

MarkV - 10-8-2008 at 05:24 PM

I don't think it'll be a blowout, by any chance.

Siczine.com - 10-8-2008 at 05:47 PM

I forgot to mention this earlier:

The Dodgers play in the second worst division in baseball and still only won 84 games :smirk:

JawnDiablo - 10-8-2008 at 05:52 PM

Phillies in the Woirld Series, and winning would make the 3 generations of Phillies fans in my family very happy.
It's be cool for me, and once more for my dad, and for my son to get to experience it.
I was only 6 last time in 1980.

MarkV - 10-8-2008 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com

The Dodgers play in the second worst division in baseball and still only won 84 games :smirk:

It's not the worst?
They haven't been a great team all year. Since the beginning of Sept, they've been a totally different team. Remember the Rockies last year.
Number of wins during the season really doesn't mean shit when the playoffs hit (see the Angels).

DeathByForce - 10-8-2008 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I don't diss Yankees' fans, as long as they are REAL baseball fans. I hold no grudge. It's the bro mentality I hate on both sides.

Siczine.com - 10-8-2008 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com

It's not the worst?
They haven't been a great team all year. Since the beginning of Sept, they've been a totally different team. Remember the Rockies last year.
Number of wins during the season really doesn't mean shit when the playoffs hit (see the Angels).

At first I was going to say it was the worst but the worst division is the AL West. Aside from the Angels, that division is horrible (Texas, Oakland, Seattle).

And I agree with the hottest team thing but the Phillies are just about as hot as the Dodgers and also have a better record overall against a stronger division.

godabandonedme - 10-9-2008 at 01:54 PM

Tonight

8:22pm.

It's finally gona be our year.

Go Phils!

clevohardcore - 10-9-2008 at 02:49 PM

I got to admit this year I really don't care who makes it I just hope its a great series and I think it will because of the talent that playing this year.

moron - 10-9-2008 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
I still don't get the Manny situation. That dude acted like a grade a clown for the past 5 years, pulling the same shit year after year, dissing mgt, etc. Now, this year, because the owners finally moved him, "Red Sox Nation" hates him? Everyone made excuses for him and his behaviour year after year as he slammed homer after homer.

Manny was always a goof, and he always produced. Of course people can excuse some crap when they're the best hitter on the team. Whether that's right or not is up for debate. I think seeing that now he can catch up to those fastballs that blew by him for the last two months before he was traded, his knee isn't bothering him anymore (which one was it again? Manny doesnt know either) and he's actually hustling now and running out ground balls just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of Sox fans. That's just a terrible way to leave town. I personally don't feel that takes anything away from what he did for the Sox before this year though. He was huge for them, but I'm not gonna root for him now.

MarkV - 10-9-2008 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
Quote:

Manny was always a goof, and he always produced. Of course people can excuse some crap when they're the best hitter on the team. Whether that's right or not is up for debate. I think seeing that now he can catch up to those fastballs that blew by him for the last two months before he was traded, his knee isn't bothering him anymore (which one was it again? Manny doesnt know either) and he's actually hustling now and running out ground balls just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of Sox fans. That's just a terrible way to leave town. I personally don't feel that takes anything away from what he did for the Sox before this year though. He was huge for them, but I'm not gonna root for him now.

No, I'm talking about the venom that was coming from Boston the MINUTE he was traded.
The Sox and "red sox nation" created the monster. You all encouraged his bullshit.
I just can't wait for the outside chance Boston beats Tampa and Manny and Nomar put balls out of the park in the same game in that dump of a ballpark.

As for the Phillies vs Dodgers, as a lifelong Yankees' fan, I can tell you the X-factor here is Manny, and he lives to ruin peoples' Octobers.

moron - 10-9-2008 at 03:18 PM

I understand what you're saying. I had friends who were saying "good riddance", but I had mixed feelings. He did so much for the team so I can't hate him, but even the sox players said it was a much better locker room without him.

And dealing Nomar wasn't a bad decison. Didn't he get hurt not long after the trade and then start stinking it up after that? Doesn't mean I hate him. He was a great player for the red sox, but hell... looking back it wasn't such a bad move.

MarkV - 10-9-2008 at 03:25 PM

The Sox players had been complaining about him for 5 years!!!

And Nomar was the face of that team when they sucked cowballs. He had an off season with some injuries and not only did they deal, they spun it in the media how he'd become a "clubhouse poison."

DeathByForce - 10-9-2008 at 04:30 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with cleaning house. Nomar was asking for a trade. It was rumoured all year but no one thought it was going to happen and then it did.

Being a diamond in a pile of shit means nothing. One person can only take a team so far. Look at Jason Bay in Pittsburgh.

moron - 10-9-2008 at 05:21 PM

You know... I think I've changed my mind on the Dodgers after all. If they play the Sox in the World Series and win, Manny and Nomar can have their revenge and Joe Torre can hold a championship under Steinbrenner's nose for giving him the shaft after last year and pretending he never existed this year. That's actually a pretty good story.

JawnDiablo - 10-9-2008 at 05:58 PM

Phillies.
beers at 8:22
no work tomorrow.

JawnDiablo - 10-9-2008 at 11:31 PM

Phils 3-2

godabandonedme - 10-10-2008 at 02:06 AM

OHHHHHHHHH stupid Manny, walking to first base thinking he slammed it out of the Bank.....yea...douche. Refer to Juan's post for the final score bitches.....

JawnDiablo - 10-10-2008 at 07:03 AM

I was most pleased.

Siczine.com - 10-10-2008 at 04:44 PM

Let's go Phillies, do it again.

JawnDiablo - 10-10-2008 at 09:29 PM

Game 2: 8-5 Phils
that was a long assed, and killer 3rd inning!

MarkV - 10-10-2008 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Being a diamond in a pile of shit means nothing.

Really? So what are you feelings on Paul Pierce up until this year?

Siczine.com - 10-10-2008 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Being a diamond in a pile of shit means nothing.

Really? So what are you feelings on Paul Pierce up until this year?

Fuck Paul Peirce. He couldn't do shit until he got KG and Ray Allen around him.

MarkV - 10-10-2008 at 11:03 PM

"In the 2005-06 NBA season, Pierce had the highest points-per-shot average among the top 30 scorers in the league, indicating that he is an efficient and consistent player. On March 8, 2006, Pierce extended his franchise-record streak of 30-point games at 8. On March 7, he scored seven points in overtime to beat the Washington Wizards on a "buzzer beater" [5], and the next night the Celtics eked out a victory against Philadelphia on the strength of two late-game improbable shots by Pierce, one a three pointer, the other an off-balance "buzzer beater" for the win. He scored at least 30 points for the 13th time in 14 games (between February 4 and March 12), the best such stretch in Celtics history. He has six career triple-doubles, the most recent on March 8, 2006."

That, and the 2002 EC finals and 6 time all star. Yeah, nothing.

Siczine.com - 10-11-2008 at 01:17 PM

Why even refer to 2005-06? The Celtics finished third in an average division behind the Nets and Sixers.

And I don't care what numbers he's put up. Look at McGrady, dude puts up stellar numbers but he never won shit....and neither did Pierce until he got two all starts in KG and Ray Allen.

But this thread is for baseball not basketball and the Phillies are up 2-0.