Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

emails asking for money

clevohardcore - 11-14-2008 at 10:21 AM

The past 2 days I have been receiving emails from some "secrectary of state of soem country and then one from a business man wanting some money and he promises to make me millions once he can get the money from overseas bullshit.

I know better than to even think of responding but how serious is this shit? I mean does this mean that some fucking criminal now has access to my email address and now it will be forever bombarded? What happens if I open the email? Does that do anything? I normally do not open anything I am unaware of but I have a resume out and the email appeared to be legit, but then I opened it and started reading. Quickly deleting it but does just opening it do anything?

Does this mean its time to make a new personal email address?

joemaconmovies - 11-14-2008 at 10:40 AM

go with a gmail account.

clevohardcore - 11-14-2008 at 10:44 AM

What is gmail? I heard of it, but is it from yahoo? or hotmail? Or something completely different?

joemaconmovies - 11-14-2008 at 10:47 AM

google

joemaconmovies - 11-14-2008 at 10:48 AM

and you need an invitation e-mailed to you to join

BDx13 - 11-14-2008 at 11:43 AM

doesn't matter where you have an email account - whether it's through your ISP, yahoo, google's gmail (which no longer requires an invite) or anywhere else - spammers will get email to your inbox.

one of the many ways they generate email addresses to send to is called a dictionary attack. since lists of all registered domain names are easily accessible, they simply send spam to every known word @ those domain names. so...
b@domainname.com
bo@domainname.com
bob@domainname.com
bob1@domainname.com
bob2@domainname.com
etc, etc, etc.

whatever doesn't bounce back gets added to a list of valid addresses, sold, and used again.

these days, one ofthe best ways to avoid getting this crap in your inbox is to have a creative (albeit sometimes awkward) email address. a colleague uses something like temp.mike.13@yahoo.com. real words, yes, but all the periods make it an awkward combination, not likely to be picked up in a dictionary attack.

joemaconmovies - 11-14-2008 at 12:00 PM

i get spam through all my accounts but my gmail account

BDx13 - 11-14-2008 at 12:12 PM

i have accounts with yahoo and gmail, and in my experience, they both do a tremendous job of filtering spam into the junk box. i do still get some in the inboxes, but nowhere near as much as i do using desktop email software, like outlook or entourage.

CR83 - 11-14-2008 at 12:26 PM

I have a gmail too and man I get nothing on that one. it is nice as shit. My corp e-mail gets nailed by spam.

moron - 11-14-2008 at 01:43 PM

I love reading computer threads by Clevo.

Someone a few years ago started a thread about scam emails like what youre talking about, and posted this a link to a this website that I ended up spending an entire day exploring.

Check it out, clevo. It might answer a question or two, and make you laugh.

http://www.419eater.com/

clevohardcore - 11-14-2008 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joemaconmovies
google

^^^^^^^^ Aaaaaa. Hense the letter g. Pretty tricky.