Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

the new GUNS AND ROSES

clevohardcore - 11-20-2008 at 04:10 PM

I know many threads have been made but I wasn't going to look for them. NOw you can listen to the entire record on myspace.

I got to say. I aint into it. THe only song that caught me was the GNR original sound CATCHER IN THE RYE and the song I.R.S. gets pretty good as it goes on but thats it.

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

The album cover is a cool photo though.

BKT - 11-20-2008 at 04:19 PM

What crap. I did not make it through one song.

MM.

ShawnRefuse - 11-20-2008 at 04:37 PM

i hate the distortion on the guitar. sounds so cheap.

gotta say. not liking it at all.

BDx13 - 11-20-2008 at 04:42 PM

ugh.
can i stop listening to this, please.

XHonusWagnerX - 11-20-2008 at 05:54 PM

Dr. Pepper agreed to give everyone in America a free can of soda if Chinese Democracy came out at any time during 2008. Drink up guys!

Mark Lind - 11-20-2008 at 06:22 PM

I'm waiting til I get the hard copy of the CD. Both singles were good in my opinion.

moforn - 11-20-2008 at 06:27 PM

ugh- I can't believe Tommy Stinson has anything to do with that garbage.

random - 11-20-2008 at 07:31 PM

I got bored with every song, and it sounds like Axl wanted to incorporate electronic music into "rock" music. Gigantic failure. And I say that as someone who's been listening to GNR Lies quite a bit recently.

clevohardcore - 11-20-2008 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
I got bored with every song, and it sounds like Axl wanted to incorporate electronic music into "rock" music. Gigantic failure. And I say that as someone who's been listening to GNR Lies quite a bit recently.

^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds like what he has wanted to do since he had NINE INCH NAILS open for them in 1991.

random - 11-20-2008 at 07:39 PM

Fair enough. The one thing I'm sure of is that Axl likes the album, or else he would've put it on hold for another decade. Works for him. Not for me. And I'm sure we'll both be happy with the outcome... I won't buy it, and he'll make millions off the ones who do.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 11-21-2008 at 05:55 AM

I am a HUGE GNR fan. I listened to the whole album. I like a handful of the songs. The better tracks to me are the slower November Rain-esque songs. The more standard rock tracks though...there's a couple decent parts but for the most part I didn't like them. I hate the electronica bullshit...a lot.
The biggest compliment that I'll give Chinese Democracy is that it's different enough and interesting enough for people to talk about and argue about. Axl could have just rehashed the first album and that might have been pleasing to me at first but it would have just been kind of boring after a while. Kinda like the new AC/DC...good but just not really anything to write home about.

REV.PAULIE - 11-21-2008 at 07:39 AM

if this band,as well as jane's addiction,NEVER existed...

i would be this much (holding thumb and forefinger apart about a half-an-inch) HAPPIER.

WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT?????

LET THEM HANG THEMSELVES IN AN OVER-PRICED HOTEL ROOM.

honestly,i'd rather read about some punk/hc band that i've never heard of...

at the very least - THEY'RE TRYING.

rev.pb

Discipline - 11-21-2008 at 11:56 AM

As usual, I agree with the Reverend.

joemaconmovies - 11-21-2008 at 03:43 PM

i listened to it and i have to say that i liked it. i pre-ordered a copy. i liked the song madagascar (sp?)

morgan - 11-21-2008 at 04:02 PM

Never liked em. Don't see a need to give it a try now.

joemaconmovies - 11-21-2008 at 04:31 PM

i've been a fan since my dad first played appetite for destruction for me.

SS76 - 11-21-2008 at 04:35 PM

the song chinese democracy is pure rock and roll. I like that one alot, the november rainsy ones not so much.

joemaconmovies - 11-21-2008 at 04:38 PM

i like all of them but axl's voice sounds good on the slower ones. at least he didn't release a cd full of songs that sounded like "oh my god" off the end of days soundtrack.

CR83 - 11-21-2008 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
if this band,as well as jane's addiction,NEVER existed...

i would be this much (holding thumb and forefinger apart about a half-an-inch) HAPPIER.

WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT?????

LET THEM HANG THEMSELVES IN AN OVER-PRICED HOTEL ROOM.

honestly,i'd rather read about some punk/hc band that i've never heard of...

at the very least - THEY'RE TRYING.

rev.pb

Couldn't have said it better. GNR has always been shit in my opinion. Wait, I have enjoyed two songs but as a whole I never really dug their rap. NIN?! Not on your life can I be down with them. Never interested me.

joemaconmovies - 11-21-2008 at 05:08 PM

what does nine inch nails have to do with this?

BDx13 - 11-21-2008 at 05:13 PM

some of the tracks in the album have a every NIN-influenced sound... industrial/electronic

SS76 - 11-21-2008 at 05:24 PM

I think robin finck(sp?) the guitar player from nin was in gnr for awhile.

ShawnRefuse - 11-21-2008 at 05:28 PM

still no-lieky. I am all for growing, but these songs are boring as hell. and overlayed for the sake of him hearing his voice in a bunch of different pitches. I am shocked how many people are saying they like it.

MarkV - 11-21-2008 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shootingscars

Yeah, for several years.

joemaconmovies - 11-21-2008 at 08:56 PM

the guitarist for nin also played on it. guitarist and drummer.

MarkV - 11-21-2008 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joemaconmovies

Quote:

None of NIN's drummers have been a part of it.

barc0debaby - 11-22-2008 at 01:47 AM

Buckethead....that's all I gotta say.

SS76 - 11-22-2008 at 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby

Between solo shit, praxis, deli creeps, stews, death cube k,(from what I own) he's a genius. His style is EVERY style. Although I don't find myself listening to his music enough, its fuckin surreal.

MarkV - 11-22-2008 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Between solo shit, praxis, deli creeps, stews, death cube k,(from what I own) he's a genius. His style is EVERY style. Although I don't find myself listening to his music enough, its fuckin surreal.

Exactly. Despite his gimmick, he's a great player. Plus, he hasn't been in GNR in like 4 years.

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:

Quote:

"Josh Freese was a member of Guns N' Roses from 1997 to 2000, replacing Matt Sorum and signing a 2-year contract. He recorded the song "Oh My God" for the End of Days soundtrack and pieces for the Chinese Democracy album, supposedly having co-written the music to the title track. He left the band in 2000.......Freese toured with Nine Inch Nails on their 2005-2006 With Teeth tour after the illness of drummer Jerome Dillon. Freese contributed live drum tracks to the songs "HYPERPOWER!" and "Capital G" on the Nine Inch Nails album Year Zero, which was released in 2007. Freese continued touring with Nine Inch Nails throughout 2007 in support of Year Zero, mainly outside of the U.S. In 2008 he worked with Reznor in the studio on The Slip and signed on for more extensive touring with the band through 2008."

Panic Records - 11-22-2008 at 12:26 PM

I can't get into the GNR at all. I think it's complete shit honestly. I wrote a quick review for it and then searched for other reviews of it...only to find out that everyone was praising it. My mind was blown at how "the critics" are hailing this record. One guy said that it was the "most important record of our time" WOW.

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 01:56 PM

i'm praising it. it's all opinion. i probably don't think all the albums you like are good or even worth my time.

BDx13 - 11-22-2008 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
i'm praising it. it's all opinion. i probably don't think all the albums you like are good or even worth my time.

where is this coming from?
thread has been about whether or not people like gnr and what they thought about the album.
we've heard two pages of opinions on both sides.
and you decide to take one post personally and go after the writer?

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Quote:

thread has been about whether or not people like gnr and what they thought about the album.

i didn't think i was attacking him. just kinda stating why he may not like it but a lot of critics. how am i going after him? seems like you're coming after me if anything. so, why do i deserve that when i didn't insult him? i said i was praising the album and that it all comes down to opinion and then gave an example where it might affect a band he likes. i could give band names but none came to mind. i'm confused.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 04:19 PM

joe you seem to get heated alot when someone has a different opinion on something than you do
it's happened quite a few times in the past which may be why duane addressed this as such

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 04:20 PM

i didn't insult him though. if you can't tell the difference between those times i got angry and this time then...i don't know what to do

BDx13 - 11-22-2008 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Quote:

i didn't think i was attacking him. just kinda stating why he may not like it but a lot of critics. how am i going after him? seems like you're coming after me if anything. so, why do i deserve that when i didn't insult him? i said i was praising the album and that it all comes down to opinion and then gave an example where it might affect a band he likes. i could give band names but none came to mind. i'm confused.

i'm glad to hear that you weren't.

to me, your "i probably don't think all the albums you like are good or even worth my time" comment seemed aggressive and targeted. that's why i said something....just as i have to numerous members on countless occasions over the past five years, all in an attempt to keep this board civil.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
i didn't insult him though. if you can't tell the difference between those times i got angry and this time then...i don't know what to do

im sayin you come off alot of times as angry when someone has a different point of view
after seeing that a few times it's easy to misconstrue certain comments as maybe being in the same vein

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 04:32 PM

i could've said wouldn't instead of don't but i never insulted his music, just pointed out a fact. i don't think it's that hard to tell when someone is being malicious or not. i don't think i said anything that came off as vicious. i mean, i could give examples but, the things i said are about as insulting as a lot of the things people are already saying in this thread.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 04:36 PM

perhaps by singling him out it came off as insulting as opposed to you saying your general opinion on the subject

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 04:40 PM

he mentioned giving the review and the reviews of others so it seemed to make sense to direct the response towards him. i mean...i don't see how my not insulting him is any diff. then the people who insulted buckethead.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 05:19 PM

maybe because buckethead dosent post on this board?

i personally think guns and roses is a fucking joke
i feel like it's for 15 year old girls in 1990
i feel like axl is a faggot rock star pussy who thought he was a tough guy
were they better than 90% of the hair metal shit?
sure
but that dosent make them good just cause they dont suck quite as hard as some other bands

but i would not single you out for praising this record
if i was to state an opinion on them i would do just that
and not say anything about your taste in music

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 05:52 PM

sooooooo aggressive. and you just can't seem to understand what i said. i didn't insult his taste in music. he insulted my taste if anything. if we had to compare, he insulted my taste by saying an album i liked sucked but all i said was i probably don't agree with his opinions. i didn't attack him. i just stated some facts about how we have different opinions.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 06:01 PM

aggressive how?

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

that's aggressive?!?!?!?!

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 06:15 PM

if what i said is attacking someone that sure as hell seems aggressive. basically, it seemed like you were attacking me.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 06:18 PM

you take things WAY to personally
im not saying you attacked dude
im saying it may have come off that way with your history of attacking people in the past

how is me saying anything about axl fucking rose or his joke of a band attacking you in any way shape or form?
did you help write that piece of shit rip off song paradice city?

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 06:21 PM

i can't argue with your amazing logic. fuck! sorry to bother you, gavin.

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 06:22 PM

im gonna give you an example

i was praising that tim armstrong solo record
i love that record
so someone on here, maybe disipline i forget, came on and said he hates tim armstrong and that he is a piece of shit and whetever

now, did i take that as a personal insult?
no
why the fuck would i?

and that's exactly what you did here

gavin - 11-22-2008 at 06:23 PM

Quote:

see?????
there's the shot
like always
gotta take a personal shot esp. when you have nothing else to say

look back on the way you have acted on this board at times
says alot

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 06:24 PM

ok

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

see?????
there's the shot
like always
gotta take a personal shot esp. when you have nothing else to say

look back on the way you have acted on this board at times
says alot

sorry

MarkV - 11-22-2008 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
Quote:

Quote:

"Josh Freese was a member of Guns N' Roses from 1997 to 2000, replacing Matt Sorum and signing a 2-year contract. He recorded the song "Oh My God" for the End of Days soundtrack and pieces for the Chinese Democracy album, supposedly having co-written the music to the title track. He left the band in 2000.......Freese toured with Nine Inch Nails on their 2005-2006 With Teeth tour after the illness of drummer Jerome Dillon. Freese contributed live drum tracks to the songs "HYPERPOWER!" and "Capital G" on the Nine Inch Nails album Year Zero, which was released in 2007. Freese continued touring with Nine Inch Nails throughout 2007 in support of Year Zero, mainly outside of the U.S. In 2008 he worked with Reznor in the studio on The Slip and signed on for more extensive touring with the band through 2008."

Joe- You could have just written "Josh Freese."
However, I don't think it's really the same thing as Finck who played in NIN before (and now after) GNR. Josh did GNR 5 years before NIN. He also never played a show with GNR. He's a hired gun/session guy and incredibly prolific. He's no longer in NIN, either. He's also played with A Perfect Circle (actually a member), Vandals (actually a member), that Black Light Burns or something like that (the newish band with Wes Borland), the Replacements (new tracks), Paul Westerberg, Devo, Chris Cornell, Rob Zombie, Good Charlotte (recorded), Offspring (recorded), NIN, GNR, No Doubt, had a solo record and I know I'm missing some. Those are just off the top of my head.

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 06:50 PM

yah, you're right. i shoulda just written his name. but he did record on parts of chinese democracy and he's played live with nin and i think he's listed as a nin member as of right now. so, i mean, technically i was right. he's not as full on as the guitarist but he's a nin drummer who did record with them. i'm not sure why i put all that, probably because i wasn't sure who he was.

MarkV - 11-22-2008 at 07:17 PM

He's not in NIN now. The kid from Lost Prophets is the new drummer.

joemaconmovies - 11-22-2008 at 07:44 PM

i read that wrong. i confused the touring into '09 with him still being in the band. my bad.

Panic Records - 11-22-2008 at 10:51 PM

I haven't been home all day. I went and saw that movie Rocknrolla...it was pretty good. I'd say if you've seen the other Guy Richie films...then you already know what to expect. Anyways, this thread isn't about that, it's about the new GNR.

Not my jam.

Here's my review of the record, take it as you will...it's just my opinion. I like music that other think is HORRIBLE and also HATE music that other think is "Inredible". One of those records would be the new "Guns N Roses".

My Review:

An honest review of Chinese Democracy.

I'll preface it with Axl's own words from "This Is Love"...

"I just can't let it die"

Throughout this record Axl sounds like he is dying and after years of people laughing and waiting for this record to come out...the halirity ensues as Axl is unable to let Guns N Roses die. His one claim to fame, his one and only. He should have buried this band in 1997 after the departure of Slash, Duff and Izzy.

In 1987 when Appetite For Destruction came out. People were floored and that record became one of the biggest selling records in Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. And for good reason, good songs, good structure. Use Your Illusion was a great follow up and had a lot to live up to and did an incredible job of displaying that. Guns N Roses was a band that knew their shit.

Chinese Democracy, has become one of the most anticipated records of all time. Not because people were expecting greatness, but because people knew that Axl Rose was out of his mind and was a laughing stock. Proof is in the pudding, Axl Rose is out of his mind to tarnish the legacy that was Guns N Roses. Slash and the boys aren't even dead yet, but they will turn in their graves when they do die, over this one.

Track by track it gets worse and worse. The songs are stuck in this limbo of being a bad Soundgarden or a bad Staind. There's no continuity to the record. On some songs, like "If The World", it starts out with Axl trying to be soulful with his meow and just sounds embarrassing. The song "Scraped" Axl turns his meow into the sound of two cats in my alley getting it on. After the out of tune choir of meowing, it goes straight into that Soundgarden groove. Only thing is, Soundgarden did it when Grunge was huge, Axl, you missed the boat.

This record is an embarrassment. I'm surprised I sat through it, actually, I'm not. We love to watch car wrecks and buildings being demolished. Guns N Roses is dead. Axl kept legacy on life support for 9 years. The docs are in the room saying "we tried everything we could, but not even this record can save the damage that you've done to the band." RIP Guns N Roses.

SS76 - 11-23-2008 at 01:33 AM

I can't wait to see Rocknrolla.Its worth more discussion than gnr will ever be.

Jason the Magnificent - 11-24-2008 at 07:23 AM

I'm going to guess this album has the suck and not even bother.

MikeFromInhuman - 11-24-2008 at 12:19 PM

Im not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but the guitarist for GUNS N ROSES, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal produced and engineered the fist two records from INDECISION "Unorthodox" and "Most Precious Blood" and the first two INHUMAN records, "Evolver" and "Rebellion". He also did a lot of local Hardcore and Metal bands demos as well, first in a basement in Bensonhurst,Brooklyn and then in Staten Island NY.

Back then ( mid-late 90's) he was doing solo guitar work on
indie labels and even then we all thought he was an amazing musician and a really nice/cool guy.

So cheers to Ron!

morgan - 11-24-2008 at 12:24 PM

Kinda off subject but holy shit, how many bands has Josh Freese played in?

barc0debaby - 11-24-2008 at 12:38 PM

Dude may be a genuis, but he still wears a kfc bucket on his head.

Panic Records - 11-24-2008 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Im not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but the guitarist for GUNS N ROSES, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal produced and engineered the fist two records from INDECISION "Unorthodox" and "Most Precious Blood" and the first two INHUMAN records, "Evolver" and "Rebellion". He also did a lot of local Hardcore and Metal bands demos as well, first in a basement in Bensonhurst,Brooklyn and then in Staten Island NY.

Back then ( mid-late 90's) he was doing solo guitar work on
indie labels and even then we all thought he was an amazing musician and a really nice/cool guy.

So cheers to Ron!

Ron may be a stand up guy. Might even be another couple of them in GnR. But that record is horrible. He should have taken hints from Inhuman and Indecision back in the day and wrote some bad ass core.

What's up Mike!

I'm liking this board, it's full of older core guys.

Mark Lind - 11-24-2008 at 03:04 PM

I don't think Axl needs to let GNR die; I think the people that jock Slash/Duff/Izzy need to let that die. It is what it is and no one has any control over that. You have the choice to buy it or not buy it.

I've listened to it a few times now. Still undecided for the most part. Some of it is great. Some of it is pretty bad. But one thing I'm sure of now is that it fits in with their back catalog. I'm about 50% of the way through shuffling their entire discography of studio recordings on my iPod and it all flows and sounds the same. It isn't suffering from having new players on it.... maybe it suffers a bit in the songwriting area but not in the performances. But then again, there's a reason they did The Spaghetti Incident in 1993..... it's because Izzy Stradlin was their big songwriter and he quit in 1991.

Let's also not forget that it took the other members of the original line-up years to put together something decent. Izzy had the best post-GNR record with that "Ju Ju Hounds" cd he did but his career also went south quick. Duff played in Neurotic Outsiders with Steve Jones and that was decent but not GNR quality. His solo stuff sucked. Slash's Snakepit and Blues Ball were atrocious. It wasn't until 2003 or 2004 that they pulled Velvet Revolver together to have a decent release. So they're not exactly running circles around Axl.

Eh. The past is gone. Take or leave what's here now. Even the Illusion CD's weren't that good in retrospect.

MarkV - 11-24-2008 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Dude may be a genuis, but he still wears a kfc bucket on his head.

That's Buckethead. Different dude than Bumblefoot.

I agree pretty much entirely with Lind.

Discipline - 11-24-2008 at 06:47 PM

Quote:

i love that record
so someone on here, maybe disipline i forget, came on and said he hates tim armstrong and that he is a piece of shit and whetever

no
why the fuck would i?

Damn right I said that. Bringing it up again makes it personal now Gavin. It's on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:tumble:

random - 11-24-2008 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
I don't think Axl needs to let GNR die; I think the people that jock Slash/Duff/Izzy need to let that die. It is what it is and no one has any control over that. You have the choice to buy it or not buy it.

I've listened to it a few times now. Still undecided for the most part. Some of it is great. Some of it is pretty bad. But one thing I'm sure of now is that it fits in with their back catalog. I'm about 50% of the way through shuffling their entire discography of studio recordings on my iPod and it all flows and sounds the same. It isn't suffering from having new players on it.... maybe it suffers a bit in the songwriting area but not in the performances. But then again, there's a reason they did The Spaghetti Incident in 1993..... it's because Izzy Stradlin was their big songwriter and he quit in 1991.

Let's also not forget that it took the other members of the original line-up years to put together something decent. Izzy had the best post-GNR record with that "Ju Ju Hounds" cd he did but his career also went south quick. Duff played in Neurotic Outsiders with Steve Jones and that was decent but not GNR quality. His solo stuff sucked. Slash's Snakepit and Blues Ball were atrocious. It wasn't until 2003 or 2004 that they pulled Velvet Revolver together to have a decent release. So they're not exactly running circles around Axl.

Eh. The past is gone. Take or leave what's here now. Even the Illusion CD's weren't that good in retrospect.

Damn, I'm surprised to see Mark write this... since he seems to be a huge GNR fan and an even bigger Izzy Stradlin fan (or should I say, seems to think Izzy is the main talent behind the band historically).

Mark Lind - 11-25-2008 at 11:31 AM

I think Izzy is the main talent. But what can you do?

All of his solo records (that I have) are decent but only one of them is great.

I'd say that I'd like to see the old line-up get back together but I'm not even sure they could put out a good record at this point. And how long would it take to make that record? 20 years?

This Chinese Democracy CD is pretty good. I'll settle for this rather than holding out for anything better.

MarkV - 11-25-2008 at 03:19 PM

People like to talk about how "important" the old members were (most people don't even realize Izzy's role and think it was Slash and Duff), yet, the Velvet Revolver records aren't great. The first one has moments. Second one's only sold 300,000 copies which makes me think it's nothing to write home about.

Mark Lind - 11-25-2008 at 04:00 PM

The VR records are good for what they are. But it's no GNR. They're probably second best to Buckcherry in my mind as decent "rock" bands of the past 10 years or so.

MarkV - 11-25-2008 at 04:22 PM

It's decent. Some alright songs. I think BC are much better. Still think it's too bad Josh and Keith didn't work out with those other dudes.

Voodoobillyman - 11-26-2008 at 01:20 PM

Quote:

i love that record

no
why the fuck would i?

That record is indeed amazing. I love the Aggrolites and with him fronting, it was perfection.

gavin - 11-26-2008 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:

i love that record

no
why the fuck would i?

That record is indeed amazing. I love the Aggrolites and with him fronting, it was perfection.

agreed
i still listen to it
love it