Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

any Star Wars fans here ?

thedog - 4-29-2005 at 03:34 AM

if so....
any thoughts on the new movie?

i think it will blow the last two away.

vinnie518 - 4-29-2005 at 04:28 PM

I'm going against my better judgement and am looking forward to this movie.

The first 2 "prequils" were great for the background story and politics but were shitty movies with bad acting (with a fewexceptions), and looked very fake.

Everythign I've read and seen about this movie indicates that it may make up for the last two and tie right in to episode 4... sounds good.

I'm pretty psyched for it.

Discipline - 4-29-2005 at 04:35 PM

I hope and pray it doesn't suck ass.

moron - 4-29-2005 at 04:46 PM

I and II fucking blew, so unless I drink beforehand Im not going to see this garbage movie.

Mark Lind - 4-29-2005 at 05:21 PM

Star Wars is the shit. I was in the Fan Club in 1983. I assume my membership is still good.

defstarsteve - 4-29-2005 at 07:37 PM

ummm my business name is def-star
my logo is that of the imperial empire

please lucas don't hurt me....
this is going to be the end of all the jedi...
basically everyone dies...
I have seen some screen shots that I shouldn't have....
long live the empire...

also this is how bad mr. lucas is

2007 the films are to be re-released in theaters 1 a year...in 3-d yes 3-d stupid glasses and everything, lucas and others have developed a way for normal films to be converted to 3-d and still shown on regular screens...

he is also working on a new cartoon series to fill in all of the clone wars

and then there is the live action t.v. show, but it will deal more with the supporting characters instead of the main ones...

defstarsteve - 4-30-2005 at 01:28 AM

kevin smiths review of the new film...
http://viewaskew.com/news/sith/

forsaken - 4-30-2005 at 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Star Wars is the shit. I was in the Fan Club in 1983. I assume my membership is still good.

You were a starwars freak a year before i was even born!!

My dad showed me a new hope when I was 5 and I've been hooked for life. I & II were boring, III better be good!

thedog - 5-2-2005 at 08:36 PM

i have already read the book for the new one, and the book was really good.
its not going to ruin the movie, cause you already know what happens anyway.

defstarsteve - 5-2-2005 at 11:26 PM

I saw the music video last night....
I don't think I even need to see this film...
too amazing for my feeble mind to handle

GabeTexasGAMC - 5-3-2005 at 01:11 AM

GET READY TO SHIT YOUR PANTS!!!!

http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2004/lucas...

thedog - 5-3-2005 at 03:33 AM

does anybody read the other star wars books?

defstarsteve - 5-3-2005 at 11:46 AM

i read about the first 20 put out...
I really like the x-wing series...
I laways wanted to be a pilot as a kid and that shit was rad,
but then they jsut went crazy wihtkids of kids, and it just got too far away from the roots

Killthehumans - 5-4-2005 at 12:33 AM

ive read the books(not all, but many), the comics, i use to save up my money to buy the figures(stopped when i was 16, cause my little cousin RUINED them), beat most of the star wars games(x-wing,tie fighter,dark forces,both rebel assaults, the dark forces and jedi knight games....etc).....................
god dammit im a nerd

SAAAAARS - 5-4-2005 at 12:46 AM

i liked the first ones. not feelin' the last two and i doubt i'll like the new one even if it's better than those other two.

Thumb Wars!

RomanticViolence - 5-5-2005 at 02:46 PM

Good times!!

MENTALxRUSS - 5-5-2005 at 04:55 PM

i like star wars a lot but i'm not some crazy fan like others...
can't wait to see the 3rd episode.... then i can't wait to own the dvd sets!

LilOz - 5-5-2005 at 04:57 PM

The previews looked pretty good. I am psyched.

BDx13 - 5-5-2005 at 06:03 PM

i'm going to a screening of the new one tonight at The Ziegfeld.

defstarsteve - 5-6-2005 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE

I want a full report when you get back mister...

thedog - 5-6-2005 at 12:56 AM

i got tickets for the first midnight show around here.

Discipline - 5-6-2005 at 12:58 AM

Has anybody seen that new Star Wars cartoon dvd? I heard it is supposed bridge the gap between episodes 2 and 3. Any thoughts folks?

thedog - 5-6-2005 at 01:09 AM

i have the dvd, and yes they start after episode II.
and they just did more episodes for cartoon network after the dvd, that take you up to
episode III.
the dvd is pretty cool. if you are a big fan i would reccomd it

BDx13 - 5-6-2005 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE

I want a full report when you get back mister...

EPISODE III is certainly better than I and II, in that it's fun to watch Anakin (hate the guy who plays him, though) drift over to the "Darth" side. That, plus... no Jar-Jar Binks! And Natalie Portman looks good pregnant with twins, too.

defstarsteve - 5-6-2005 at 01:56 PM

but is it as good as empire?

newbreedbrian - 5-6-2005 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
but is it as good as empire?

sir, that is unpossible.

Jeff trhe Greek - 5-6-2005 at 02:11 PM

I'm not really into the movies but The Knights of the Old Republic games have me hooked. I've wasted days playing those fuckin' games.

KyleOz - 5-6-2005 at 02:15 PM

I fucking love KOTOR

I always played through the lightside first then next time around darkside.

The second KOTOR is good, but lacking, it is missing a whole bunch of stuff originally intended.

defstarsteve - 5-6-2005 at 02:33 PM

i am glad I'm not the only nerd here

KyleOz - 5-6-2005 at 02:38 PM

You are going to be a bigger nerd once I send you some mp3 cds, one chocked full of POWER METAL!!!!

thedog - 5-7-2005 at 12:03 AM

if star wars are nerds...
i am also guilty

thedog - 5-7-2005 at 12:23 AM

to all the other nerds
"may the force be with you"

GabeTexasGAMC - 5-7-2005 at 09:23 AM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMERFALL! LET US HAIL!

thedog - 5-9-2005 at 04:25 AM

anyone play the new episode III game?

defstarsteve - 5-9-2005 at 05:11 PM

http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/starwars
which nerd are you

KyleOz - 5-9-2005 at 05:20 PM

That shit is hilarious

"I can't figure out why boys don't like me.."

I don't think I'd like her after a 18 pack

defstarsteve - 5-9-2005 at 06:11 PM

star wars is the only thing coming on those tits

thedog - 5-9-2005 at 11:19 PM

thats terrible

BDx13 - 5-9-2005 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
star wars is the only thing coming on those tits

holy crap.

defstarsteve - 5-10-2005 at 01:04 AM

what no comedy about nerds
come on guys...
i can't wait for mel brooks to finish space balls 2

thedog - 5-10-2005 at 01:58 AM

only one man would give me the raspberry....

Discipline - 5-10-2005 at 03:40 AM

Quote:
what no comedy about nerds
come on guys...
i can't wait for mel brooks to finish space balls 2

Is he actually making one????? If so, I can't fucking wait. I'd also love to see him do a 2nd Blazing Saddles but that shit would never fly in todays PC world.

thedog - 5-10-2005 at 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

Is he actually making one????? If so, I can't fucking wait. I'd also love to see him do a 2nd Blazing Saddles but that shit would never fly in todays PC world.

the sherifs an african american.

just would not be as funny.

Joshcore - 5-11-2005 at 09:52 PM

I think it will actually be pretty good. The last two weren't anything amazing, but this one looks promising.

thedog - 5-11-2005 at 11:15 PM

one more week....

defstarsteve - 5-12-2005 at 01:51 PM

okay nerds watch this one
funny as hell, no spoilers
http://storewars.org/flash/index.html

thedog - 5-13-2005 at 03:56 AM

chewbroccoli - funny as hell

From the current New Yorker...

BDx13 - 5-17-2005 at 01:08 PM

SPACE CASE

by ANTHONY LANE

?Star Wars: Episode III.?

Issue of 2005-05-23
Posted 2005-05-16

Sith. What kind of a word is that? Sith. It sounds to me like the noise that emerges when you block one nostril and blow through the other, but to George Lucas it is a name that trumpets evil. What is proved beyond question by ?Star Wars: Episode III?Revenge of the Sith,? the latest?and, you will be shattered to hear, the last?installment of his sci-fi bonanza, is that Lucas, though his eye may be greedy for sensation, has an ear of purest cloth. All those who concoct imagined worlds must populate and name them, and the resonance of those names is a fairly accurate guide to the mettle of the imagination in question. Tolkien, earthed in Old English, had a head start that led him straight to the flinty perfection of Mordor and Orc. Here, by contrast, are some Lucas inventions: Palpatine. Sidious. Mace Windu. (Isn?t that something you spray on colicky babies?) Bail Organa. And Sith.

Lucas was not always a rootless soul. He made ?American Graffiti,? which yielded with affection to the gravitational pull of the small town. Since then, he has swung out of orbit, into deep nonsense, and the new film is the apotheosis of that drift. One stab of humor and the whole conceit would pop, but I have a grim feeling that Lucas wishes us to honor the remorseless non-comedy of his galactic conflict, so here goes. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and his star pupil, Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), are, with the other Jedi knights, defending the Republic against the encroachments of the Sith and their allies?millions of dumb droids, led by Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) and his henchman, General Grievous, who is best described as a slaying mantis. Meanwhile, the Chancellor of the Republic, Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid), is engaged in a sly bout of Realpolitik, suspected by nobody except Anakin, Obi-Wan, and every single person watching the movie. Anakin, too, is a divided figure, wrenched between his Jedi devotion to selfless duty and a lurking hunch that, if he bides his time and trashes his best friends, he may eventually get to wear a funky black mask and start breathing like a horse.

This film is the tale of his temptation. We already know the outcome?Anakin will indeed drop the killer-monk Jedi look and become Darth Vader, the hockey goalkeeper from hell?because it forms the substance of the original ?Star Wars.? One of the things that make Episode III so dismal is the time and effort expended on Anakin?s conversion. Early in the story, he enjoys a sprightly light-sabre duel with Count Dooku, which ends with the removal of the Count?s hands. (The stumps glow, like logs on a fire; there is nothing here that reeks of human blood.) Anakin prepares to scissor off the head, while the mutilated Dooku kneels for mercy. A nice setup, with Palpatine egging our hero on from the background. The trouble is that Anakin?s choice of action now will be decisive, and the remaining two hours of the film?scene after scene in which Hayden Christensen has to glower and glare, blazing his conundrum to the skies?will add nothing to the result. ?Something?s happening. I?m not the Jedi I should be,? he says. This is especially worrying for his wife, Padm? (Natalie Portman), who is great with child. Correction: with children.

What can you say about a civilization where people zip from one solar system to the next as if they were changing their socks but where a woman fails to register for an ultrasound, and thus to realize that she is carrying twins until she is about to give birth? Mind you, how Padm? got pregnant is anybody?s guess, although I?m prepared to wager that it involved Anakin nipping into a broom closet with a warm glass jar and a copy of Ewok Babes. After all, the Lucasian universe is drained of all reference to bodily functions. Nobody ingests or excretes. Language remains unblue. Smoking and cursing are out of bounds, as is drunkenness, although personally I wouldn?t go near the place without a hip flask. Did Lucas learn nothing from ?Alien? and ?Blade Runner??from the suggestion that other times and places might be no less rusted and septic than ours, and that the creation of a disinfected galaxy, where even the storm troopers wear bright-white outfits, looks not so much fantastical as dated? What Lucas has devised, over six movies, is a terrible puritan dream: a morality tale in which both sides are bent on moral cleansing, and where their differences can be assuaged only by a triumphant circus of violence. Judging from the whoops and crowings that greeted the opening credits, this is the only dream we are good for. We get the films we deserve.

The general opinion of ?Revenge of the Sith? seems to be that it marks a distinct improvement on the last two episodes, ?The Phantom Menace? and ?Attack of the Clones.? True, but only in the same way that dying from natural causes is preferable to crucifixion. So much here is guaranteed to cause either offense or pain, starting with the nineteen-twenties leather football helmet that Natalie Portman suddenly dons for no reason, and rising to the continual horror of Ewan McGregor?s accent. ?Another happy landing??or, to be precise, ?anothah heppy lending??he remarks, as Anakin parks the front half of a burning starcruiser on a convenient airstrip. The young Obi-Wan Kenobi is not, I hasten to add, the most nauseating figure onscreen; nor is R2-D2 or even C-3PO, although I still fail to understand why I should have been expected to waste twenty-five years of my life following the progress of a beeping trash can and a gay, gold-plated Jeeves.

No, the one who gets me is Yoda. May I take the opportunity to enter a brief plea in favor of his extermination? Any educated moviegoer would know what to do, having watched that helpful sequence in ?Gremlins? when a small, sage-colored beastie is fed into an electric blender. A fittingly frantic end, I feel, for the faux-pensive stillness on which the Yoda legend has hung. At one point in the new film, he assumes the role of cosmic shrink?squatting opposite Anakin in a noirish room, where the light bleeds sideways through slatted blinds. Anakin keeps having problems with his dark side, in the way that you or I might suffer from tennis elbow, but Yoda, whose reptilian smugness we have been encouraged to mistake for wisdom, has the answer. ?Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose,? he says. Hold on, Kermit, run that past me one more time. If you ever got laid (admittedly a long shot, unless we can dig you up some undiscerning alien hottie with a name like Jar Jar Gabor), and spawned a brood of Yodettes, are you saying that you?d leave them behind at the first sniff of danger? Also, while we?re here, what?s with the screwy syntax? Deepest mind in the galaxy, apparently, and you still express yourself like a day-tripper with a dog-eared phrase book. ?I hope right you are.? Break me a fucking give.

The prize for the least speakable burst of dialogue has, over half a dozen helpings of ?Star Wars,? grown into a fiercely contested tradition, but for once the winning entry is clear, shared between Anakin and Padm? for their exchange of endearments at home:

?You?re so beautiful.?
?That?s only because I?m so in love.?
?No, it?s because I?m so in love with you.?

For a moment, it looks as if they might bat this one back and forth forever, like a baseline rally on a clay court. And if you think the script is on the tacky side, get an eyeful of the d?cor. All of the interiors in Lucasworld are anthems to clean living, with molded furniture, the tranquility of a morgue, and none of the clutter and quirkiness that signify the process known as existence. Illumination is provided not by daylight but by a dispiriting plastic sheen, as if Lucas were coating all private affairs?those tricky little threats to his near-fascistic rage for order?in a protective glaze. Only outside does he relax, and what he relaxes into is apocalypse. ?Revenge of the Sith? is a zoo of rampant storyboards. Why show a pond when C.G.I. can deliver a lake that gleams to the far horizon? Why set a paltry house on fire when you can stage your final showdown on an entire planet that streams with ruddy, gulping lava? Whether the director is aware of John Martin, the Victorian painter who specialized in the cataclysmic, I cannot say, but he has certainly inherited that grand perversity, mobilized it in every frame of the film, and thus produced what I take to be unique: an art of flawless and irredeemable vulgarity. All movies bear a tint of it, in varying degrees, but it takes a vulgarian genius such as Lucas to create a landscape in which actions can carry vast importance but no discernible meaning, in which style is strangled at birth by design, and in which the intimate and the ironic, not the Sith, are the principal foes to be suppressed. It is a vision at once gargantuan and murderously limited, and the profits that await it are unfit for contemplation. I keep thinking of the rueful Obi-Wan Kenobi, as he surveys the holographic evidence of Anakin?s betrayal. ?I can?t watch anymore,? he says. Wise words, Obi-Wan, and I shall carry them in my heart.

# # # #

defstarsteve - 5-17-2005 at 01:56 PM

it stinks
just like all critics
you get paid to trash movies?
where do we all sign up?
get a fucking job

thedog - 5-17-2005 at 03:47 PM

all the critics are doggin it.
this critic just seems like a tool, oh well, i am sure i will enjoy it.
even a sub par star wars movie is still 10 times better than most of the bullshit hollywood makes today.

george lucas must be a moron, he only created one of the most successful movie franchises of all times and he's a billionaire.

newbreedbrian - 5-17-2005 at 11:21 PM

out of all critics, movie ones are the worst. 60 paragraphs of psuedo intellectual bullshit trashing a movie that he obviously knew he was gonna hate before even seeing it. way to overanalyze

SAAAAARS - 5-17-2005 at 11:40 PM

i never listen to movie critics

defstarsteve - 5-19-2005 at 05:38 PM

http://www.supanet.com/mensroom/clips/files/starwars_scene_s...

a new one
ha ha
not work safe

moron - 5-19-2005 at 05:59 PM

I stopped listening to movie critics when most of them said that Spiderman was a good movie. Im still pissed about having to pay to see that fucking piece of shit.

I'll probably go see the new Star Wars at some point even though I really didnt like the last two very much.

tireironsaint - 5-20-2005 at 07:32 PM

I loved the original movies as a kid and held onto some nostalgic feelings for them right up until the new ones started coming out. Those first two new ones are so bad that you couldn't pay me to go see this one. I sold my trilogy box set a while back and the only thing I have left from the classics is a picturebook of the original Star Wars that I got when I was a kid. It's still in excellent shape and I've thought about getting rid of it, but no place here would give me anything decent for it. If any of you fanboys want it enough, I could be persuaded to either sell it or trade it for something good. If anybody's actually interested, let me know and I'll take some pictures or something. And no, I'm not looking for big money or anything, just something decent.

Oh yeah, I saw some idiots dowtown here the other day all painted red wandering around, I guess for the opening of the new one.....

RomanticViolence - 5-24-2005 at 10:59 PM

So how is this movie?

newbreedbrian - 5-24-2005 at 11:36 PM

i really dug it. it was pretty dark. if you can get past the horrendous dialogue in most of natalie portmans scenes its a pretty damn good flick.

SAAAAARS - 5-25-2005 at 01:21 AM

i saw this movie last night and i really liked it haha

thedog - 5-25-2005 at 03:35 AM

i thought the movie was really good. there is alot of action so it moves really quick, unlike the last one which had a few slow parts.

Unbound - 5-25-2005 at 12:15 PM

I thought it was definitely the best out of the new three. The only badside to the three new movies were Jar Jar, Natalie Portmans awful acting, and some horrible childish alien designs.

A lot of people seem to blame the guy who is playing Anakin on the bad love scenes, but I think the sore spot was Portman. She just had no feeling and played the part of the cold politician even during the love scenes.

All in all though, it was a pretty kick ass flick that reminded me of why I like the series so much.

SAAAAARS - 5-25-2005 at 12:17 PM

i agree, natalie portman really brought down this movie

tireironsaint - 5-25-2005 at 03:41 PM

Funny thing is, Natalie Portman is the closest thing there is for a reason for me to watch this movie, even if it was on somebody else's dime.

BDx13 - 5-25-2005 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Funny thing is, Natalie Portman is the closest thing there is for a reason for me to watch this movie, even if it was on somebody else's dime.

exactly. still hate the aniken kid though.

LIGHT-SABRE DUEL PUTS TWO IN HOSPITAL

BDx13 - 5-26-2005 at 01:01 AM

LIGHT-SABRE DUEL PUTS TWO IN HOSPITAL

24 May 2005

TWO Star Wars fans are in a critical condition in hospital after duelling with lightsabres made by filling fluorescent light tubes with petrol.

The pair - a man aged 20 and a girl of 17 - are believed to have been filming a mock fight when one of the devices exploded in woodland on Sunday.

They were rushed to West Herts Hospital before being transferred to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, in Essex.

Police say a third person present at the incident was questioned.

thedog - 5-26-2005 at 03:40 PM

vader robs movies

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/052205_ap_ns_robbery.html