Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

interview with Ian from BFB

XHonusWagnerX - 2-22-2009 at 10:36 PM

http://www.hardtimes.ca/bloodforblood09

Voodoobillyman - 2-22-2009 at 11:57 PM

That was really good, thanks Josh. I don't know any of these dudes and don't know what happend so I have no opinion to share on the actual subject one way or another. I will say I wish these dudes would get together again and write, record and tour.

barc0debaby - 2-23-2009 at 12:31 AM

Definitely wish they could work shit out. A B4B/WIC tour would be fuckin killer.

MarkV - 2-23-2009 at 12:41 AM

Even if they "got back together" or did another record, you'll never see another BFB "tour." They barely toured when they were together and a functioning band. I wouldn't count on seeing anything more than 1 or 2 shows, if there were ever any.

clevohardcore - 2-23-2009 at 12:42 AM

Good interview and cool site. Thanks for the post.

Kid Ugly - 2-23-2009 at 01:14 AM

Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Definitely wish they could work shit out. A B4B/WIC tour would be fuckin killer.

If this happened.....Fuck. I don't even know what to say.

BDx13 - 2-23-2009 at 01:26 AM

i listened to serenity on friday for the first time in probably two years.
forgot how much i liked that record.
i know some people didn't like the direction...
cool to hear that the band (ok, ian) is still happy with it.

Kid Ugly - 2-23-2009 at 01:46 AM

Outlaw Anthems is my favorite closely followed by Livin' In Exile. "Anthems" just starts and doesn't fucking stop.

Six66Mike - 2-23-2009 at 03:11 AM

I watched it on Myspace and it stopped half way through and wouldn't play the last 10-12 minutes. Will give it another shot off Hardtimes site but the ads were bugging the shit out of me.

random - 2-23-2009 at 04:59 AM

That was really good. Much as they still seem to have some obvious issues to work out, it sounds like all those guys have gotten their lives straightened out. It'd be cool to see them work out the personal things since I'd love to hear BFB take on the more mature attitude towards things they all seem to have now, but hell... that's up to them and will probably take a lot of time. Though in the seemingly BFB way of doing things, I could see them coming out of nowhere with a new album in a decade, long after everyone has lost interest and moved on to very different points in life.

clevohardcore - 2-23-2009 at 09:03 AM

It would be a bullshit if they can't get back together. They had so much and the door was open for them to really kick ass. I remember the first 7"and lp. Form the beginning they were rad and in my opinion just kept getting better. Most bands do the opposite, but B4B were different. One of the last shows I felt the need for old fat ass to go off and mosh my tuckis off. I had that feeling in 2002 to rock out like I was a youngin again. They just have that emotional quality to the tunes.

Mickey - 2-23-2009 at 10:20 AM

All band shit aside, it just sucks bacause these guys were such good friends. I wish they could just get thier heads out of thier asses and grab a bite to eat and work some shit out. Then see where it takes them. BFB will probably play some show in some time, but they will never be a full time band. They shared a lot of good times on the road...ask Ian to post the video of them lip syncing "safety dance"....hilarious, and you can tell they genuinely enjoyed being around each other. Thier story isn't done yet.

MarkV - 2-23-2009 at 12:53 PM

The Safety Dance is pure comic genius.

clevohardcore - 2-23-2009 at 12:58 PM

someone get this please.

CR83 - 2-23-2009 at 01:48 PM

I can't get the page to load. Can anyone post this link to the vid?

Mark Lind - 2-23-2009 at 06:32 PM

I watched 5 minutes of that. That band doesn't exist anymore because that time and place is over. As for the comments about Rob...... when your band is about spitting in society's face and living on the fringes of society and you reap the benefits of that image then you can't hate the guy for DOING EXACTLY WHAT HIS LYRICS SAY HE DOES. Which is it? Is he your golden boy bread winner or the guy that spoils everything for you? It's the same guy so I guess it's a matter of which suits you.... the angel or the demon.

Furly - 2-23-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
The Safety Dance is pure comic genius.

Agreed.

MarkV - 2-23-2009 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
That was really good. Much as they still seem to have some obvious issues to work out, it sounds like all those guys have gotten their lives straightened out. It'd be cool to see them work out the personal things since I'd love to hear BFB take on the more mature attitude towards things they all seem to have now, but hell... that's up to them and will probably take a lot of time. Though in the seemingly BFB way of doing things, I could see them coming out of nowhere with a new album in a decade, long after everyone has lost interest and moved on to very different points in life.

To somewhat echo Mark's sentiments, those facts are kind of the reason why the band shouldn't really exist. To me, BFB isn't about straightened out lives and maturity (not insinuating they were immature) and wouldn't really want to see something forced. Even Serenity, to me, wasn't really a BFB record. Not saying it was bad, but it was a decidedly different direction and time and place. I'd love to hear more music from all of the guys in the future, but I don't necessarily want it to be BFB.

random - 2-23-2009 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
me, BFB isn't about straightened out lives and maturity (not insinuating they were immature) and wouldn't really want to see something forced. Even Serenity, to me, wasn't really a BFB record. Not saying it was bad, but it was a decidedly different direction and time and place. I'd love to hear more music from all of the guys in the future, but I don't necessarily want it to be BFB.

I always saw the albums as evolving musically but more importantly lyrically. What started as a lot of anger and hatred at the world and everything around eventually morphed into an attempt to understand the general situation of the world around you. Serenity is a bridge between the immediate world and the bigger picture, which I think Ramallah really hit on in a way that's seriously missing in hardcore/punk rock/society/fill-in-blank these days. There's good point on the interviews on the Serenity CD where Rob says something like " [...] was a suicide note, [...] was definitely a suicide note, on [...] we started asking why we kept writing suicide notes, and then [...]" and I think that captures the evolution pretty well. That said, both of the Marks have personal ties to the situation that I certainly don't, and I mainly just feel like BFB kept evolving in a way that kept them very relevant to my own stages of development.

Oh, and I would absolutely love it if Rob did the acoustic album that was rumored years ago to be in the works.

MarkV - 2-23-2009 at 08:20 PM

That makes total sense to me. I don't necessarily agree, although, it has been a long time since I listened to Serenity.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 2-23-2009 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
I watched 5 minutes of that. That band doesn't exist anymore because that time and place is over. As for the comments about Rob...... when your band is about spitting in society's face and living on the fringes of society and you reap the benefits of that image then you can't hate the guy for DOING EXACTLY WHAT HIS LYRICS SAY HE DOES. Which is it? Is he your golden boy bread winner or the guy that spoils everything for you? It's the same guy so I guess it's a matter of which suits you.... the angel or the demon.

1000% agree.

clevohardcore - 2-23-2009 at 08:41 PM

Bottom line in my opinion is that B4B was a band that kicked ass. Outside influence or internal seemed to be its downfall. It happens all the time. Especially what its a band of there magnitude, emotion and intensity. It would be great if they can work it out, but if not they left a huge imprint.

JawnDiablo - 2-23-2009 at 08:56 PM

...they're one of the bands that i was listening to quite a bit while going through serious crappy shit over the years and probably helped get me though it all on way or another.
I'd love to see Rob do some new music, be it with them , or whatever.
But as mark & mark said

MyOwnWay - 2-23-2009 at 11:33 PM

Havnt watched the interview yet.

Serenity is one of BFB's finest records. I was a huge fan of that direction and would have loved to hear what would have come next.

BFB/WIC tour would be incredible.

Their music and lyrics are timeless. I rank them with the likes of Sick Of It All. Where you never really outgrow them, theyre music stays with you. With each new album they stayed relevant. I feel that would still be the case. Rob and Buddha are one of the most powerful duo's I've ever heard. Not just in Hardcore, I mean period.

JawnDiablo - 2-24-2009 at 07:56 AM

the holy trinity of hardcore:
the Father: Sheer Terror
the son: Blood for Blood
The holy spirit: Wisdom in Chains.....
off to work i go

CR83 - 2-24-2009 at 10:22 AM

I remember meeting Ian outside a blood for blood show in KC. He was in the parking lot out front drinking beer and listening to Black Flag. I walked right up and was really taken back by the fact that he was just chilling out front with everybody. I introduced myself and we chatted and had a cold one. He was great. I then go inside and find Rob at the bar by himself talking to the bartender. I introduced myself, we bought each other a beer and proceeded to hang out until the went on and his also introduced me to Budah (sp). All three were as nice as can be.

Man, that band hit the stage the place was UP FOR GRABS. You couldn't resist going crazy. Best HC show ever.

Good dudes, great music and I hope it is not completely over.

XHonusWagnerX - 2-24-2009 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83
I remember meeting Ian outside a blood for blood show in KC. He was in the parking lot out front drinking beer and listening to Black Flag. I walked right up and was really taken back by the fact that he was just chilling out front with everybody. I introduced myself and we chatted and had a cold one. He was great. I then go inside and find Rob at the bar by himself talking to the bartender. I introduced myself, we bought each other a beer and proceeded to hang out until the went on and his also introduced me to Budah (sp). All three were as nice as can be.

Man, that band hit the stage the place was UP FOR GRABS. You couldn't resist going crazy. Best HC show ever.

Good dudes, great music and I hope it is not completely over.

I spent 3 weeks with them on a Slapshot tour. It was my first tour, first trip out of the country, first time meeting them (and the Bluebloods) and first time really dealing with the Slapshot guys aside from Mark. They were all super cool with me and everyone else as far as I saw. I still see Ian once in awhile and hes always super nice to me.

I would love to see them play again, but I think I'm just as interested in hearing anything that Rob does. BFB was a band 100% not an individual, but Rob is such an amazing song writer and personality that I think he could carry almost any band if he was of the mindset to do it.

side note: its an odd spelling, but its actually Buddha.

BKT - 2-24-2009 at 02:32 PM

They were a great band a good bunch of guys. I spent some time on the road with them while they did some dates through Canada back in 98 I think. I was a college at the time and they played in the town where I was going to school. My buddy put on the show and I loved B4B and he told me to come out to the show. They killed it and I hoped in the van with them and fucked off for about a week. Ended up in Toronto at the end of it all and way behind in school. haha those were truly free times in my life.

I can't seem to see this interview as it has been deleted, but would like to have a look if someone could let me know where it is at.

While I think I would love to see B4B with Wisdom in Chains I really do believe that B4B was in a time and a place and that is where they should stay. None the less if they came back I would support them until the end no matter what they did.

MM.

Mark Lind - 2-24-2009 at 02:47 PM

Looks like somebody got cold feet about all the slandering.

Mickey - 2-24-2009 at 04:00 PM

slandering is saying things that are false...thats not what i heard here

Mark Lind - 2-24-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickey
slandering is saying things that are false...thats not what i heard here

There's two sides to every story.

Mickey - 2-24-2009 at 04:15 PM

no 3 sides...Rob's, Ian and Buddah's and what really happened. and you know he could have went further...especially when Victory was mentioned.

Mark Lind - 2-24-2009 at 04:32 PM

Absolutely not. Everything will come out in time if Rob ever decides to chime in with his story. Sadly for all the drama queens out there he just isn't interested in satisfying everyone's need for drama and more gossip.

Here are facts that were represented as I interpretted them:
1) Rob is no longer friends with those guys and has nothing to do with them.
2) Rob was a drug user for a while.
3) The band doesn't exist anymore and Rob doesn't want to do it anymore.

Everything else is shaded in opinion. And is any of it really worth talking about? When I look at points 1, 2 and 3 it is obvious to me that it's time to move on. Do you think that Rob couldn't release his own video in response and address things from his point of view? And you know that he is more than intelligent enough to express himself in a way that would convince every single viewer that he is right. He just doesn't care. I told him about this last night and he said "those guys still talk about me? they still think about me?"

I'm so tired of people whining about him. Sorry. The party is over. Sorry he took his ball and went home but every one else is free to start up new bands and be successful on their own. People preach to me about him like I don't know him.... like I haven't spent my entire life around him.... like I never played in a band with him before when he was on drugs. It wasn't the drama show that it's made out to be. It definitely isn't worth talking about 2+ years later. I'm sure some good times were had and it's something that can be looked at fondly or regretfully if that's how dudes want to see it. But it isn't worth the continued pissing match. Especially when only one side cared enough to show up and whip their dick out.

Man, when I think of all the choads that have approached me in the past 2 years trying to offer an opinion on a guy they barely know it makes me want to wretch and puke. Fuckin' idiots. People are really disgusting.

random - 2-24-2009 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
But it isn't worth the continued pissing match. Especially when only one side cared enough to show up and whip their dick out.

Not to get off topic, but this is hilarious. I might have to start using this in normal conversations.

Mark Lind - 2-24-2009 at 04:45 PM

Thanks! :)

Mickey - 2-24-2009 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. Everything will come out in time if Rob ever decides to chime in with his story. Sadly for all the drama queens out there he just isn't interested in satisfying everyone's need for drama and more gossip.

Here are facts that were represented as I interpretted them:
1) Rob is no longer friends with those guys and has nothing to do with them.
2) Rob was a drug user for a while.
3) The band doesn't exist anymore and Rob doesn't want to do it anymore.

Everything else is shaded in opinion. And is any of it really worth talking about? When I look at points 1, 2 and 3 it is obvious to me that it's time to move on. Do you think that Rob couldn't release his own video in response and address things from his point of view? And you know that he is more than intelligent enough to express himself in a way that would convince every single viewer that he is right. He just doesn't care. I told him about this last night and he said "those guys still talk about me? they still think about me?"

I'm so tired of people whining about him. Sorry. The party is over. Sorry he took his ball and went home but every one else is free to start up new bands and be successful on their own. People preach to me about him like I don't know him.... like I haven't spent my entire life around him.... like I never played in a band with him before when he was on drugs. It wasn't the drama show that it's made out to be. It definitely isn't worth talking about 2+ years later. I'm sure some good times were had and it's something that can be looked at fondly or regretfully if that's how dudes want to see it. But it isn't worth the continued pissing match. Especially when only one side cared enough to show up and whip their dick out.

Man, when I think of all the choads that have approached me in the past 2 years trying to offer an opinion on a guy they barely know it makes me want to wretch and puke. Fuckin' idiots. People are really disgusting.

Mark... I have nothing but love for your brother. Fuck BFB. It's just a shame that all parties don't pull thier heads out of thier asses, and move pass this on a personal level. I was there the last time him and Buddah talked after it had been a while, and it was like 2 long lost war buddies excited to see each other. Rob shouldn't be so surprised that people still talk about him. His band and lyrics impacted a lot of people....think of all the people that are still mentioned that are not nearly as talented as he is. Ian and Buddah are successful doing what thier doing, and I hope rob finds happiness and success in whatever he does. I was there with BFB from the start...through Wooden, Delaria, Gina, and Mahoney. I went on the road with these guys countless times and spent a lot of time with them. I too also have people offering thier opinion and asking what happened, how's this one and that one doing? I'd love to be able to answer. Fuck the drama and the hardcore sewing circles...I just want to know how my friend is doing....more than fine and sober.

Mark Lind - 2-24-2009 at 06:22 PM

ha. It's you? I'm gonna PM you. Fuck this posting shit.

CR83 - 2-24-2009 at 08:30 PM

Damn! Just when things were picking up. Looks like you two are circling up together. Hope it is positive.

Murk - 2-24-2009 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
"those guys still talk about me? they still think about me?"

i'll be thinking about Rob and talking about his musical achievements until i die.

Mark Lind - 2-25-2009 at 12:53 AM

Quote:
Damn! Just when things were picking up. Looks like you two are circling up together. Hope it is positive.

I've known Chris since I was like 16. He's a good shit and he's always been cool to Rob. For the record, I assumed it was another dude that doesn't know Rob but has been armed with an opinion by a third party. That has happened so many times in the past two years that I definitely jumped to a conclusion. That isn't the case here. Chris is a good guy. I'm sure I could kick his ass if needed but I'll let him slide on his good guy status (that was a joke - don't hurt me).

Quote:
Originally posted by Murk
Quote:

i'll be thinking about Rob and talking about his musical achievements until i die.

I think he was referring to Ian.

Six66Mike - 2-25-2009 at 04:33 AM

I could go either way with the reunion thing but most of the time I have the same feeling as others. The time/moment has passed, get over it and move on. I'm not into 99% of the reunions going on now, even bands who only call it quits for a little while.

I would love another Sinners & Saints album though or Ramallah or acoustic etc.

XnMeX - 2-25-2009 at 08:16 AM

I haven't watched the video, just want to throw in my 2 cents.

I just hope everything is going well with Rob. He is the most talented musucian in my book... PERIOD! I look forward to any project he may put out and wish him the best.

The "Lind's" knew how to "produce" good musicians! ;)

MyOwnWay - 2-25-2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike

I would love another Sinners & Saints album

CR83 - 2-25-2009 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I've known Chris since I was like 16. He's a good shit and he's always been cool to Rob. For the record, I assumed it was another dude that doesn't know Rob but has been armed with an opinion by a third party. That has happened so many times in the past two years that I definitely jumped to a conclusion. That isn't the case here. Chris is a good guy. I'm sure I could kick his ass if needed but I'll let him slide on his good guy status (that was a joke - don't hurt me).

Quote:
Originally posted by Murk
Quote:

I think he was referring to Ian.

Mark, you are always on point man. I hope you are doing great and I'm still waiting on the vid with your "George Jefferson-Style" walk you did for the AIDS fundraiser ;-)

Be good Sir.