Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

passed away

upyerbum - 7-28-2009 at 12:52 AM

My name is Sheila Jeff is my husband he passed away last night of a massive heart attack.I just wanted to let the guys on thorp know he was an amazing husband father and friend

barc0debaby - 7-28-2009 at 01:12 AM

Damn......

Rest In Peace brother.

gavin - 7-28-2009 at 01:16 AM

oh man
i'm so sorry

Voodoobillyman - 7-28-2009 at 01:39 AM

heartfelt sympathies
I am truly sorry for your loss........

morgan - 7-28-2009 at 01:45 AM

Damn. My heart goes out to you and your family.

random - 7-28-2009 at 02:34 AM

Is this for real? Fuck, these things hit Thorp board way too often - Disc, XnMeX, voodoo, barcode... I'm looking at you guys - but shit. Oh, and...

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Damn. My heart goes out to you and your family.

defstarsteve - 7-28-2009 at 02:39 AM

I'm so sorry for you loss...
if there is anything you need
there are a lot of good people on this board and we will all help...

thedog - 7-28-2009 at 04:48 AM

so sorry for your loss.
my thoughts go out to you and your family.

REV.PAULIE - 7-28-2009 at 05:16 AM

go easy into the night.....

sorry,ma'am,honestly.

paul

newbreedbrian - 7-28-2009 at 05:27 AM

oh my god. please tell me this is not true

panzerkreuzer - 7-28-2009 at 06:13 AM

sheila, words are hard to find to express the feelings reading this, but i´m really sorry and i wish you and your family all the best for the future.
jeff won´t be forgotten here.

mattybar - 7-28-2009 at 07:09 AM

Sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace.

Dave - 7-28-2009 at 07:13 AM

Sheila, i really don't know what to say, thank you for letting us know. Were all thinking of you and your family back here in Halifax.

jonnynewbreed - 7-28-2009 at 07:15 AM

Oh my god. He was a friend and a truly good person. He was the only one of the older guys that respected me when I was a kid. I don't know what to say besides i'm very sad.

JawnDiablo - 7-28-2009 at 07:20 AM

damn,
My condolances
didn't know the guy,but he seemed cool as hell on here.
I am truly sorry to hear this.

jonnynewbreed - 7-28-2009 at 07:24 AM

His name was Jeff Amarandos and will always be held in very high regard in my books.

SS76 - 7-28-2009 at 07:46 AM

damn...so sorry to hear that.

tireironsaint - 7-28-2009 at 07:50 AM

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sheila, I wish there was something I could say, but I know better. You and your family are in the thoughts of all of us here.

clevohardcore - 7-28-2009 at 08:01 AM

O man. I am very saddened to read this. Your family are in our prayers. RIP brother. RIP.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-28-2009 at 08:37 AM

I really dont know what to say. Cant beleive this happened.

Very sorry

newbreedbrian - 7-28-2009 at 09:26 AM

myself and a couple other people on this board from halifax knew jeff for a long time. he was a really good person and cared about his family immensely. I really hope you are doing ok and if there is anything at all we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. Hope Freeborn is hanging in ok as well, our thoughts are with you guys.

ShawnRefuse - 7-28-2009 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
I really dont know what to say. Cant believe this happened.

Very sorry

Discipline - 7-28-2009 at 11:01 AM

I didn't expect this when I clicked on this thread. I'm so sorry to hear about Jeff. He was a hell of a nice guy from what I knew of him on here. My thoughts go out to the family.

MikeResist - 7-28-2009 at 11:03 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss.

bombidol - 7-28-2009 at 11:10 AM

shit news, sorry to hear this

Mark Lind - 7-28-2009 at 11:11 AM

Wow. That's terrible. I'm sorry to hear this.

Dave - 7-28-2009 at 11:40 AM

http://www.myspace.com/friggoff
http://www.myspace.com/theplunderingsons

here were his bands.

CR83 - 7-28-2009 at 11:44 AM

Shelia, I'm so sorry to hear this. Jeff seemed like an incredible person. Our family sends their very best.

BKT - 7-28-2009 at 11:55 AM

Terrible news and I am very sorry to hear this.

MM.

Enyo - 7-28-2009 at 12:18 PM

So Sorry for your loss.

DAK - 7-28-2009 at 12:27 PM

I can't believe this. I am so sorry.

Jason the Magnificent - 7-28-2009 at 12:29 PM

Wow...shitty, sorry to hear.

jonnynewbreed - 7-28-2009 at 01:26 PM

37 years old. Damn.

M.Alki - 7-28-2009 at 01:43 PM

Very sorry to hear of your loss.
My condolences to you and your family.
xx

Discipline - 7-28-2009 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
http://www.myspace.com/friggoff
http://www.myspace.com/theplunderingsons

here were his bands.

Love 'em both. After seeing this thread earlier I threw on The Plundering Sons and left them cranked for a few spins.

Dave - 7-28-2009 at 03:13 PM

I got this msg from his best buddy:

"After we were jammin on sunday....He took a massive Hart Attack....I called 911....started mouth too mouth, then CPR....for what felt like forever....the paramedicts worked for over 20 minuts tryin too revive him....he was too far gone.....he died in my arms....the was nothing anybody could have done.....his hart was in real ruff shape....two clogged arttarys and such.....it wouldent have mattered if he had seeked treatment a week ago.....this would still have happened....Can a man ...sing himself too death?....Yes.....he can...."

If you have to go, at least he went out playing music and hanging with his buddys.

jonnynewbreed - 7-28-2009 at 03:32 PM

That's so fucked up. I can't imagine how those guys are dealing with this.

SS76 - 7-28-2009 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
If you have to go, at least he went out playing music and hanging with his buddys.

I hope I'm lucky enough to die doing something I love. RIP Jeff Amarandos.

necrobutcher - 7-28-2009 at 06:16 PM

My condolences

Spoiler - 7-28-2009 at 09:22 PM

Sheila,I am so sorry to hear about your husband.Bless you and your family.
Jeff will be missed on the Thorp board.

moforn - 7-28-2009 at 10:17 PM

Really sorry to hear Sheila- Jeff was a genuine great guy. He'll be missed by many.

DaveMoral - 7-29-2009 at 12:29 AM

Wow... my sincere condolences go out to you Sheila and the rest of the family. Rest in Peace, Jeff.

-I propose that new Thorp Warriors shirt be made a memorial.

panzerkreuzer - 7-29-2009 at 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

good idea.

random - 7-29-2009 at 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

good idea.

didn't we think about doing a similar thing when danny nsk's house burned down? seriously, let's make this shit happen. i kept thinking jeff was gonna give a "nah, i'm just fucking with you guys" post, and i still am... even though it's not gonna happen.

sheila, i'm sorry for your loss.

defstarsteve - 7-29-2009 at 04:00 AM

we just did benefit shirts for a friend who died in Houtson...
the had a show to help out the family and raised over 4000.00 in 1 night

is anyone planning something like this.
I will gladly donate shirts for jeff....
I just need a design and to know how many to make and where to ship to...

Furly - 7-29-2009 at 12:45 PM

So sorry for your loss Shelia, my condolences are with you and yours.

joey - 7-29-2009 at 01:01 PM

sorry for your loss

MattyA - 7-29-2009 at 01:13 PM

Sorry for your loss.

MyOwnWay - 8-1-2009 at 08:36 AM

Seemed like a real nice guy on here. My heart goes out to you, his family and friends.

BDx13 - 8-4-2009 at 03:16 AM

AMARANDOS, Jeffrey Kenneth

— It is with profound sadness that the family of Jeff Amarandos announces his sudden passing on July 26, 2009, at the tender age of 37.

Jeff was born on January 7, 1972, in Oromocto, N.B., to Stath and Alana (Mader) Amarandos. Jeff was an "energetic" and captivating child with a deep and resounding laugh. He served in the Royal Canadian Regiment in London, Ont., Bosnia (two tours), Kuwait and Petawawa, from 1990 to 1997. He then moved on to a career in Mechanical Drafting and Design and worked from 1999 to 2008 in the Halifax area. In 2008 he relocated to Calgary, Alta., where he worked for HZ Projects Ltd.

Jeff is survived and will be sadly missed by "his girls", Sheila (Bell) his loving wife and soul mate for 17 years and Kate, his precious eight year old daughter and the light of his life. He is also survived by his parents, Stath and Alana Amarandos, Bedford; his only sibling, Sonja Amarandos, Bedford; his only niece, Kayleigh Amarandos, Bedford, who adored her "Uncle Jeff"; his mother-in-law, Dietlind Bell, Bedford; his sister-in-law, Morag Bell, Philadelphia, USA; his grandmother, Kay Mader, Waverley; his great-uncle, Robert (Doris) Mader, Mahone Bay; special family friends, Ken and Dona Riel, Texas; and many uncles, aunts and cousins throughout the country.

Our Jeff will always be remembered as a kind and generous young man who had a wicked sense of humour and a memory next to none. We grieve for our Jeff but we will remember him with much love and many wonderful memories. To quote a co-worker of Jeff's "to live in hearts, we leave behind, is not to die".

BDx13 - 8-4-2009 at 03:18 AM

jonnynewbreed - 8-4-2009 at 06:25 AM

Thats Johnny Benson who used to play in a band called King Konquerer. Jeff used to dress up as an ape and dance around jam packed bars to get the crowd moving. If you can imagine a 6'4" 230 pound dude (jeff) in a full ape suit skanking and dancing up a storm.

I just remember him pouring sweat and lifting up his mask to have a swig of beer.

jonnynewbreed - 8-4-2009 at 07:01 AM

This is from his best friend Mike Freeborn:

Hey all...I had one fuk of a time gettin back on the board....Lord knows what kind of twisted storys are flotin around the internet....So heres some facts...Last Sunday after jammin, Jeff was conplanin about chest pains...Not uncommon....Ive seen this before...hes pulled muscells in his chest from singin before...Still... I was concerend....A few minutes later he felt like he was going too puke...The night before we were drinkin,and BBQed two pork tenderloins....I thought he might have really bad hartburn....and the beer was commin back to haunt him....Not the case.....Then I heard him colapes in the bathroom...called 911....gave him mouth too mouth and CPR....The paramedicts arrived and tried too revive him for over 20 minutes.....You know the rest....
I loved him like a brother....and a part of me has deid with him....

He was creamated two days ago in his boots, King Konqueror shirt,and his shades....

jonnynewbreed - 8-4-2009 at 07:03 AM

Here is a pic of him in the suit

jonnynewbreed - 8-4-2009 at 07:07 AM

This is a thread that has a lot of great stories and input from his family and friends...

http://media.locals.ca/localsconf/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46948&...

BDx13 - 8-4-2009 at 08:37 AM

Those pics are TREMENDOUS!
Thank you for posting them up, Jonny.

You've probably seen the splash page we posted by now.
We'll have it up for a while, but it will also live permanently here:
http://thorprecords.com/splash/jeff-amarandos-rip.php
Please feel free to pass this, or even this thread, on to his friends if you think it appropriate.

Dave - 8-4-2009 at 10:38 AM

nicely done, Duane & Andy.

DAK - 8-4-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
nicely done, Duane & Andy.

defstarsteve - 8-4-2009 at 12:28 PM

good job guys
Jeff wan an awedome guy from what I knew of him and he will be missed

Rolly - 8-4-2009 at 01:35 PM

Hey all,

My name is Rolly and I've known Jeff since we were about 16. This is how we met: I'd fought and beat a (now very good) friend who was a skin and Jeff came up to me the next weekend to kick me out of the arcade that all the punks, skins, art students and freaks used to hang at. I didn't want to go because I was beating my high score at Xevious so he waited for me to finish the game before administering the justice... he was a gentleman even back then. Our mutual friend, Andy, had been there for the fracas the week before and explained to Jeff what happened, that I was a target for young skins, being the only mod in town at the time, and so Jeff promptly came up to me and apologized and introduced himself. We were friends since that day and we'd talk about sub culture, ska and scooters as well as what was happening in our scene.

Later in life I and a few others had formed King Konqueror. We were doing better than we ever expected and we'd picked up Jeff along the way who acted as our friend, advisor, manager (until we drove him crazy), body guard, moral support, and he played the part of 'Flossy' our gorilla, a gimmick/mascot not unlike Iron Maiden's Eddie or The Ramones' Pinhead. He always did an amazing job and we've been thinking about him a lot before his passing as we've been reforming a bit lately to do one-off gigs. He was one of the most fun things about being in that band and we have loads of stories that are now being remembered and told to laughter and tears.

Thanks, Johnny, Brian and Dave for spreading the word about Jeff's offline person... as said there's more on the Halifaxloclas.com 'Backstreet Amusements cica 1984 - 1989' thread. I recommend checking it out.

That song posted by Johnny, that's our keyboard player doing a song we'd written years back, only he's now changed the lyrics to pay homage to Jeff, the great times we shared with him and the effect he had on us as a band as as people. It was a tear jerking bitter-sweet pleasure watching that vid; thanks for posting it, Johnny. It'll be hard playing that song at an upcoming gig at a scooter rally this Saturday but it must be done. Every note that we ever play again will be dedicated to Jeff and played with the fury, spirit and enthusiasm that Jeff brought to the stage.

The fact that Jeff was cremated in his boots, KK shirt and shades blows my mind and honours me beyond belief.

It's been an emotional few weeks and we all empathize with Sheila, Kate an d Jeff's best friend, Mike. He touched so many people and was one of a kind. So many stories... RIP, Jeff, brother. Sheila, I can only echo what's already been said on halifaxlocals. Take care folks.

-- Rolly

Dave - 8-4-2009 at 01:44 PM

Thanks for visiting us Steve.

Funny thing was, Jeff's online person was pretty much his offline one.
Hope you stick around on the boards for awhile. We need some more CDN's on here....

DaveMoral - 8-4-2009 at 03:44 PM

Man... this thread amazes me. I don't know what it is about Thorp, I haven't met the majority of you guys but you're like family. When I read Shelia's post it was like a punch in the gut, and I didn't know Jeff from Adam... as they say.

God be with you, Jeff. Peace.

newbreedbrian - 8-4-2009 at 03:56 PM

Yeah, thanks for the words Steve. That really sums Jeff up well. Fiercely loyal, and about as straight up a person as I've ever known. I know a lot of people that would echo those sentiments as well.

Discipline - 8-4-2009 at 07:18 PM

I still can't believe he's gone. It just seem possible.

Earl of Halifax - 8-4-2009 at 07:55 PM

RIP Jeff.

A gentle giant, a kind man. I'm grateful to have met him, shared beers and some laughs with him. He certainly touched everyone that knew him in one way or another. My thoughts have been with him, his friends and his wife and daughter. A true stand up guy that will forever be missed, but remembered.

XnMeX - 8-4-2009 at 09:10 PM

Rest in piece Thorp Warrior...

Enyo - 8-4-2009 at 09:27 PM

my heart hurts for his family. He was so so young. :( I wish I had known him better.

Rolly - 8-5-2009 at 01:55 PM

Thanks, Brian and Dave, it was just such a pleasure knowing Jeff. I can well imagine he was the same guy online as he was in real life because he was that kind of honest. My posts can be little long winded; whenever I post on these things I tend to go a little overboard with details and 'creative writing'.

Though so many stories revolve around Jeff's life within 'the scene' (Clubs, music, parties, the places where he touched so many people) we can't ever forget that he was a wonderful family man, a valued employee, a heroic soldier who selflessly spent much energy comforting his fellow heroic soldiers in the aftermath of the horrors they went through, and he was a damn good friend to many.

Below I'll post some nice words from two people who've known him a long time....

Rolly - 8-5-2009 at 02:02 PM

This from one of the Grandpas of the Halifax punk scene:

"S...i have no words that could express the loss you and K and all of us feel. I feel as though i've lost a brother, a protector and a friend, i have no idea how you or K or S or the rest of the family must feel right now, but you are not alone. If there is anything I can do to help you through this transition, just ask and it will be done. Your husband was an inspiration, a hero, and sooo much fun to be around, being around him let me appreciate how much he loved every second of his life and his "Ladies"
I feel honored to have known him and been his friend. Stay tough.
much love,
Tim"

I couldn't say it any better.

This from my friend Mike and KK guitar player:

"Jeff was the most honest, chivalrous, generous man I've met. Just one example: years back we were heading out after a few pints at the Daimond late one cold winter night night. We noticed our associate X's lady (wife/girlfriend?) trying to leave the bar incapacitated. Jeff, without a second thought, says to me "How much money do you have left?" Together we pool together enough change
to get her a cab ride home.

She was unable to give the driver her address, so we get in the cab with her, and direct the driver to X's house. She invites us in for a nightcap for our troubles. As we are dusting off our boots, X appears and says "Who the hell are you? What are you doing with my wife?" and kicks us out into the cold. We suspected X has a condition that prevents him from recognizing people's faces.

We walked home broke, in the slush and freezing rain while Jeff told me what it means to be an unsung hero."

That's Jeff. He's given myself and others the last coin in his pocket so they could be safe. That's Jeff. He gave money and rode bikes for charity. Men should try to be like Jeff.

-- Rolly

upyerbum - 8-7-2009 at 12:31 AM

Kate and I would like to thank you all .This is a bad dream I am trying to wake up from.I grieve profoundly for our daughter.Jeff is an amazing man husband and papa to Kate.She will never forget him as we have many movies music and stories for her.I want time to go by fast to be in his arms but I need time to go slow for our daughter.Jeff and I always joked we did 20 years together and covered all the bases that a couple who had been married 50 years.we always said love you babe no matter what and Kate always saw and knew that she is also told everyday love you Jeff and I always made sure of that.As a nurse I tried to comfort families in times like these but I never never thought I would be on the other end.Jeff enjoyed thorp and it was one of the only boards that he spent time and showed me some strange things posted but had us laughing and at times crying.you are very special people and I hope one day to meet some of you.Kate and I thank you.We will love you forever Jeff Love Sheila and Kate

REV.PAULIE - 8-7-2009 at 05:23 AM

the post that Rolly put up about how they first met is priceless...a TRUE HARDCORE PUNK MEMORY...

i wish that i had the chance to meet Jeff...through the words and memories that come from those that knew him,he sounds like a solid,hard as nails human being...another friend that i will never meet.

i've lost friends on an unfairly basis - as we ALL have - and,i'm really tired of it...Jeff's loss was not expected,and hurts even more to those who knew and loved him,i'm sure...but,to the rest of our knuckleheaded bretheren - PLEASE STOP DYING.

my troubles are of no greater importance than anyone else's in this world...and my struggles are alongside the rest of you lot...but,instead of racing towards a fix-all for the moment,we should all take the time to WALK in the right direction,for a change...only YOU will know what the right direction is...it overcomes the usual vertigo (if you feel me),and scares you even WORSE than fucking up...

you can still.and ALWAYS,be hard as nails to stop and smell the gunpowder before becoming cannon fodder...the roses will be there,when you're done...

but,this thread is about Jeff...go easy into the night,and watch over us at the dawn...

much respect and love to his family and friends.

-rev.paul bearer

BDx13 - 8-13-2009 at 03:57 AM

For those that are interested, this will be the archive location of our memorial to Jeff:
http://thorprecords.com/splash/jeff-amarandos-rip

Dave - 8-13-2009 at 07:30 AM

nice

yeahjewlzyeah - 11-20-2009 at 11:06 AM

RIP Jeff

Burning Streets had the pleasure of meeting Jeff up in Halifax and playing with his band "Frigg Off!" twice while we were up there. Those dudes, especially Jeff were some of the nicest guys we've met before.

He was such a huge, intimidating guy...we all thought he was gonna call us pussies and stomp us into the ground...ended up becoming a good friend and we had the pleasure of sharing a couple beers with him.

We all remembered hearing the news this summer while we were out in California...Jeff will definitely be missed by everyone who met him

-BURNING STREETS

BDx13 - 1-1-2010 at 04:41 PM

you know, not a day goes by that i don't think about jeff.
sheila and kate, you remain in my thoughts.

Earl - 7-26-2010 at 08:57 PM

A year ago today we all lost a great friend. A true solid guy. I think of Jeff, Sheila and Kate often.

RIP Jeff, you're missed but will never be forgotten.

Til' we meet again brother. Cheers! I'll hold an Olands in the air for you.

Discipline - 7-26-2010 at 09:08 PM

Can't believe it's been a year already. I still miss his posts. RIP.

DAK - 7-26-2010 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Can't believe it's been a year already. I still miss his posts. RIP.

Cheers Jeff:sniffle:

morgan - 7-26-2010 at 11:40 PM

Damn. Didn't realize it had been a year already. Don't remember what it was about but he came up in a random thought I had earlier today.

REV.PAULIE - 7-27-2010 at 06:33 AM

I hope he's making as much of a noise where he is,as he did down here...'Didn't know the guy,intimately,but that don't matter...A Punk Rocker had left the building...KICK UP A FRIGGIN' STORM,JEFF!!!

XHonusWagnerX - 7-27-2010 at 06:49 AM

Miss ya Jeff.

Dave - 7-27-2010 at 08:06 AM

.:Cheers Jeff:.

newbreedbrian - 7-27-2010 at 09:59 AM

A year goes by fast these days doesn't it? Damn, I wish you were still here Jeff.

lifeisabitch - 7-27-2010 at 11:36 AM

damn a year already where is the time going?

BDx13 - 7-27-2010 at 04:10 PM

has anyone been in touch with his wife?

clevohardcore - 7-27-2010 at 05:52 PM

A year already? R.I.P.

Earl - 7-27-2010 at 06:41 PM

I talk to Sheila every once in awhile. I try to stay in touch.

Spoiler - 7-27-2010 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earl
I talk to Sheila every once in awhile. I try to stay in touch.

I hope she's doing Okay. I know it's been a rough year for her.

BDx13 - 7-26-2012 at 07:10 AM

three years already.
miss ya, buddy.

clevohardcore - 7-26-2012 at 08:59 AM

R.I.P. holmes.

Discipline - 7-26-2012 at 11:34 AM

Miss you Jeff. RIP

morgan - 7-26-2012 at 05:59 PM

Miss you Jeff.

random - 7-26-2012 at 06:32 PM

Gone but not forgotten. I hope Sheila and the kids have found some peace.

DaveMoral - 7-26-2012 at 10:23 PM

Reading over this thread again brought a tear to me eye.

Godspeed.

lifeisabitch - 7-27-2012 at 10:28 AM

Rip