Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

New WIC songs up!

barc0debaby - 9-30-2009 at 09:01 PM

http://www.myspace.com/wisdominchains

This is going to be the album of the year.

Drops November 3rd.

I wish these dudes would come out to the west coast.

BKT - 9-30-2009 at 09:09 PM

AAAhhhhhhhhh hell ya!!!

I am going to go berserk when this shit drops. The boys are getting together, getting drunk and going out to brawl.

MM.

bombidol - 10-1-2009 at 02:06 PM

Holy shit thats good

DAK - 10-1-2009 at 02:19 PM

:thumbup:

HardcoreTimes - 10-1-2009 at 04:31 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

JawnDiablo - 10-1-2009 at 06:11 PM

wow!
i love these guys
proud that they are from PA
everything they do manages to top the last thing...and thats fuckin cool
cant wait for this cd to come out

clevohardcore - 10-1-2009 at 06:35 PM

one of the raddest bands around these days.

XnMeX - 10-1-2009 at 06:41 PM

I have never checked them out... Sounds good! I need to pick up some of their shit. Any suggestions?

morgan - 10-1-2009 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
I have never checked them out... Sounds good! I need to pick up some of their shit. Any suggestions?

Class War was an awesome album.

bombidol - 10-1-2009 at 07:01 PM

Die Young is even better I think

necrobutcher - 10-1-2009 at 07:08 PM

Quote:

I would say start with Die Young. I was hooked on the first listen. Class War took me a few listens to really appreciate.

Vanilla Gorilla - 10-1-2009 at 07:30 PM

Good stuff

Jason the Magnificent - 10-1-2009 at 07:33 PM

First song is good, second two are kind of boring.

barc0debaby - 10-1-2009 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
Quote:

I would say start with Die Young. I was hooked on the first listen. Class War took me a few listens to really appreciate.

They just re-released their self titled debut. I would get that and Die Young.

clevohardcore - 10-1-2009 at 09:47 PM

DIE YOUNG, CLASS WAR get both and this new sounds great too.

Mark Lind - 10-1-2009 at 10:23 PM

So this is what happens when Blood for Blood leaves a void in the hardcore scene?

Jason the Magnificent - 10-1-2009 at 11:21 PM

not sure what that means...

BKT - 10-1-2009 at 11:31 PM

No this is what happens when a bunch of guys from a bunch of other bands put together all different kinds of punk, hardcore and oi and start a band. They draw on a lot of different influences and different bands. Perhaps Blood for Blood was one of them?

And I would hardly say that Blood for Blood left a void when the broke up. Sure they were a great band, but a void? hahaha come on now.

MM.

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 07:20 AM

To me that just sounds exactly like BFB with an occasional appearance by Lou from Sick of it All. Hey, whatever works.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 08:23 AM

I don't hear B4B in that at all other than them both having guitar, bass and drums. Assuming your referring to the later B4B...because there's some "melodic/Oi-ish" parts? B4B didn't corner the market on that anymore than they cornered the market on gruff vocals and crooning (as much as Paulie wants to shake off any comparisons). I'm sure there's influence in there at a root level, as I'd bet they were fans of B4B...most people were or still are...I certainly don't hear a clone at any level.

I'd also agree with MM that B4B didn't create any kind of a void when they left hardcore. They had a large amount of people that liked their music, but it's not like they were atlas supporting the scene on their shoulders playing 6 shows a year towards the end and releasing albums where they covered their own songs for the most part to get out of record contracts. I know that sounds like I have some hate for the band but I don't...people just give them way more credit then they're due. The "scene" moved on w/o them and didn't miss a beat...exactly like it does when any band leaves.

I'm not even the biggest WiC fan, they have some great songs and a lot of so so songs, but people in WiC, mainly Joe and Ritchie have been playing in bands and involved in the HC scene for around 20 years, tour constantly and push their music. That's hardcore.

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 08:48 AM

That's cool. We'll all hear something different when we hear a band. I'm not dismissing WIC or anything. That was just the first and most apparent thing that came to mind. In their defense they did mix it up a little and offer a song that also sounded like something off "Demonstrate My Style".

With regard to BFB (and this is really another topic for another thread), they still sell hundreds of CD's each week. There is a huge demand for them. Non-fans won't want to acknowledge it but I'm willing to bet that they continuously sell more CD's than most of the bands that anyone would readily list as the all time most crucial hardcore bands. Time is going to be very good to BFB. And that's a bumout cuz I don't like some of the dudes from that band and I certainly don't wish a place in hardcore history for them. haha. If by some miracle they were to comeback with their classic line-up then "big" would not be the right word to describe it. That sort of demand that is backed up by numbers and $$ is indicative of a demand and a void in their absence. In fact, if some band were to come out now and just simply copy their sound and do it right then that band would be able to make a financially sound career out of it.

SS76 - 10-2-2009 at 08:50 AM

Never heard WIC before I saw them play with Agnostic Front and Death Before Dishonor. They sounded good, nothing special. But I became a big DBD fan after that show. And I agree with Jason, I don't hear B4B in that at all other than them both having guitar, bass and drums. Blood For Blood is so much better.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
That's cool. We'll all hear something different when we hear a band. I'm not dismissing WIC or anything. That was just the first and most apparent thing that came to mind. In their defense they did mix it up a little and offer a song that also sounded like something off "Demonstrate My Style".

With regard to BFB (and this is really another topic for another thread), they still sell hundreds of CD's each week. There is a huge demand for them. Non-fans won't want to acknowledge it but I'm willing to bet that they continuously sell more CD's than most of the bands that anyone would readily list as the all time most crucial hardcore bands. Time is going to be very good to BFB. And that's a bumout cuz I don't like some of the dudes from that band and I certainly don't wish a place in hardcore history for them. haha. If by some miracle they were to comeback with their classic line-up then "big" would not be the right word to describe it. That sort of demand that is backed up by numbers and $$ is indicative of a demand and a void in their absence. In fact, if some band were to come out now and just simply copy their sound and do it right then that band would be able to make a financially sound career out of it.

I have no doubt B4B still sells a ton of CD's...and will for a long time...even if they were a shit band, which they weren't...this would be the case. It's not like they were on Joe Schmoe records...Tony could sell water to a drowning man. That's not saying Victory is the reason they are popular...but you cannot deny it has played a large part in their longevity.

I guess I just don't equate CD sales with creating some type of vacuum in hardcore a band needs to fill.

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 09:08 AM

To me record sales are all that matters. Kids in punk rock and hardcore will pay lip service to any band that they think they need to pay lip service to. It's the bands that people put their money up for that matter. I've dealt with so many bands over the years that spend all their time trying to trick people into thinking they're popular. In the end it all comes down to record sales because that is a non-negotiable fact at the end of the day. Band one: "we have good marketing and an internet presence". Band two: "we sold 50,000 CD's". Band 2 wins.

And I think you're way off on the Victory Records thing. How many copies of Reach the Sky or Fury of Five are selling these days? Or ever have? Victory had some popular bands back when BFB signed with them but all of the bands that were signed at the same time aren't even a blip in the radar anymore except for Hatebreed. Sorta like when Hell-Cat started (different animal of course).... they signed US Bombs, Dropkick Murphys, Choking Victim, Pietasters, The Slackers, HepCat and the Gadjits. Well only one of those bands has sold over a million records and we all know who it is.

I guess I'd be curious what Andy has to add here.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 09:19 AM

All those other band are not selling that many CD's because they were also not good or just flash in the pan novalty bands for a window in time. It doesn't matter how much you're promote a bad product, eventually people will realize it's a bad product and it will go away. To not think Victory played a part in B4B's wide spread popularity is naive. Victory spread the word wide and far and B4B had staying power because they were good and people could relate to them.

It's seems your void comment applies more to a band looking to be hardcore "superstars" and sales darlings than filling a sound/music void which is initially what you were insinuating. We're now on two different subjects.

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 09:25 AM

I didn't say that Victory wasn't a factor in their popularity. I said it wasn't a given that a band would take off when they sign to Victory. We could go through that label's catalog and assemble a massive list of bands that never happened. BFB were selling tons of CD's when they were on Lost Disiple before they signed to Victory. That was a start up label happening out of a dude's garage. How did that happen? Or how did Serenity do for Thorp? Andy doesn't have that powerhouse budget behind him either.

"It's seems your void comment applies more to a band looking to be hardcore "superstars" and sales darlings than filling a sound/music void which is initially what you were insinuating. We're now on two different subjects."

I don't know what that means.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 09:25 AM

As a hypothetical....do you thing B4B would be as popular as they are or have the staying power if they stayed on Lost Disciple?

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 09:27 AM

Whoa. It looks like these posts went up at the same time.

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
As a hypothetical....do you thing B4B would be as popular as they are or have the staying power if they stayed on Lost Disciple?

To answer your question, I have no idea. I've seen two bands explode in popularity before my eyes. One was Dropkick Murphys and one was Blood for Blood. Both were released on small indies before they signed to big indies. Both sold really big on the small indies before they signed. Both bubbled up to the top of the heap with the two bigger labels too. Neither band got special marketing or advertising that wasn't afforded to every other band on the labels yet for some reason these two bands bubbled up.

I have no idea what makes a band rise above the others. If I knew then I would just copy the process and do it for myself. We're way off onto a topic of music business and way away from the original topic. Those two bands are huge in their respective scenes. I'm in awe of the success of both bands. To dismiss either of them as not being of importance to their respective scene is just an error in judgment.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 09:39 AM

I'm in no way suggesting they're not important to their respective scene. They clearly are bands whose names and music will live on longer than anything most of us will ever do. But so will Hannah Montanah. It's all relative.

Mark Lind - 10-2-2009 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
I'm in no way suggesting they're not important to their respective scene. They clearly are bands whose names and music will live on longer than anything most of us will ever do. But so will Hannah Montanah. It's all relative.

HAHA. Touche.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and this will open me up for attack I'm sure. But I see the names of Hatebreed and Blood for Blood going down in history alongside bands like Agnostic Front, Black Flag, Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat etc. I'm not sure what other modern bands will fall into that category. Maybe Converge, American Nightmare, Terror? I can't say for sure. Obviously we're looking down the road a good 20 years before it will be possible to confirm that but that's my bet.

BDx13 - 10-2-2009 at 10:04 AM

stoked for the new album.
i wish we were doing it.
i can absolutely imagine b4b playing the first track, chasing the dragon.
that said, i definitely do not think of them as filling any voids.
they're good, that's it.
frankly, i'm surprised they're not bigger.

barc0debaby - 10-2-2009 at 10:30 AM

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would take WIC over B4B any day.

ShawnRefuse - 10-2-2009 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
First song is good, second two are kind of boring.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 10:36 AM

I'd rather listen to Bolt Thrower.

ShawnRefuse - 10-2-2009 at 10:41 AM

I enjoy WIC a lot, and like their live show. They are still kind of new and I like that they are starting to come into their own. I see the similarities to B4B but I think that they will start to form their own identity. I see decent things for these guys in the future. I'd love to play a show or two with them.

barc0debaby - 10-2-2009 at 10:45 AM

Quote:

frankly, i'm surprised they're not bigger.

Probably the lack of touring. They just play shows close to home.

random - 10-2-2009 at 05:10 PM

I don't hear the BFB similarities anymore, to me it's just WIC. But in all fairness, I definitely saw that connection when I first heard WIC. Really probably a connection mostly between "Serenity" and WIC, though I think the older WIC stuff can also be compared to older BFB. But, again, I don't hear it anymore, though it doesn't surprise me that someone (like Mark) hearing it the first time would make the connection.

As for Victory and BFB, maybe I missed it, but I never saw Victory pushing BFB or any band other than Hatebreed back then. They pimped Hatebreed for like 2-3 years straight on "Satisfaction..." The next shit I remember them really pushing - and what they really broke through with - were Snapcase and Thursday. Before that, Victory was a niche label, much like Thorp... you knew what they put out, and you knew that you could trust a new album even if you didn't know the band. Then they made money by switching up the product. Good for them, but that switch really happened about 10 years ago. They still had some of the old bands putting out new music, but all the new bands on the label after that point were terrible.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2009 at 07:01 PM

Tons of fanzine ads and widespread distribution never hurt anyone. They pushed Hatebreed more than anyone else because Hatebreed busted their asses on their own promoting themselves and it was win win.

necrobutcher - 10-2-2009 at 10:05 PM

On a quick side note, when I bought Class War it had a sticker on the front that stated it was for fans of Sick of It All, Dropkick Murphys and Blood for Blood. Usually those stickers are completely off and for marketing only but that one actually fit pretty damned well.

clevohardcore - 10-3-2009 at 10:54 AM

THey are all good bands. No need to compare.

M.Alki - 10-4-2009 at 07:45 PM

I love Wisdom, everything previous to this has been awesome and i heard these new tracks a little while back and loved them too.
They have been over here in the UK and mainland europe a few times now and they have always gone down well, London always gives them a great reception similar to what they received when ive seen them play PA.

barc0debaby - 10-12-2009 at 11:07 AM

http://www.iscreamrecords.com/dropbox/wicorder.html

Preorders are available. Shirt+cd for 15.99

panzerkreuzer - 10-12-2009 at 11:13 AM

ordered.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-12-2009 at 11:24 AM

holy crap is that shirt gay.

panzerkreuzer - 10-12-2009 at 11:30 AM

who cares about the shirt, the cd is what counts

Jason the Magnificent - 10-12-2009 at 11:33 AM

agreed...that still doesn't help that shirt.

JawnDiablo - 10-12-2009 at 12:42 PM

hardcore ruined my life........
or was it angel dust or being irresponsible?
I forget.

gavin - 10-12-2009 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I forget.

it was upper darby

JawnDiablo - 10-12-2009 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
Quote:
I forget.

it was upper darby

yeah I partially blame Upper Darby too...

gavin - 10-12-2009 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I forget.

it was upper darby

that shit is no joke

JawnDiablo - 10-12-2009 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I forget.

it was upper darby

that shit is no joke

you been there lately?
they could film a "the wire" like show across town these days.....bad news

gavin - 10-12-2009 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I forget.

it was upper darby

that shit is no joke

you been there lately?
they could film a "the wire" like show across town these days.....bad news

fuck no
i dont leave south philly
cept sat. night into old city
which i dont see happening again ever

JawnDiablo - 10-12-2009 at 01:44 PM

did i mention how much i hate olde city?
just parking in that big mega lot pisses me off
$16 damn it
i used to go down there all the time to hang out with Tommy but shit, the nonsense outside as the night goes on is too much,
the place was filled with rejects from the Bam show.

gavin - 10-12-2009 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
$16 damn it
i used to go down there all the time to hang out with Tommy but shit, the nonsense outside as the night goes on is too much,

3 fights with yoyo's from the bars within 20 mins after the show
dressed up dudes tryin to scrap
it was an unreal observation of these type of "people"

Jason the Magnificent - 10-12-2009 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
$16 damn it

$16 parking? I wish.

Chicago is $20 for unmanned lots, $25-$35 for manned.

JawnDiablo - 10-12-2009 at 02:05 PM

when we were leaving there was some nut case that was in the khyber messing with that little black traffic cop lady.....it was pretty fucked up

gavin - 10-12-2009 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
when we were leaving there was some nut case that was in the khyber messing with that little black traffic cop lady.....it was pretty fucked up

little black traffic cop lady hit a dude with a patton later on

JawnDiablo - 10-12-2009 at 02:23 PM

oh shit!!!
might be the same nut job

gavin - 10-12-2009 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
oh shit!!!
might be the same nut job

nah
some momo that was in brownies

Floyd21 - 10-22-2009 at 12:45 AM

I'm a douchebag spammer.

BDx13 - 10-22-2009 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
$16 damn it

wait...
you were in three fights, or you happened to see three fights?

bombidol - 10-22-2009 at 08:03 AM

I got a listen to the new album the other night. its amazing

gavin - 10-22-2009 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Quote:
Quote:
$16 damn it

wait...
you were in three fights, or you happened to see three fights?

saw three fights
i was only very briefly in one inside
im too old and tired to fight anymore

BDx13 - 10-22-2009 at 09:04 AM

that's what i'm talking about.
there's little i care enough to fight over any more.
it's a great feeling.

JawnDiablo - 10-22-2009 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
that's what i'm talking about.
there's little i care enough to fight over any more.
it's a great feeling.

seriously.
I haven't thrown a punch in 10 years.
I'd likely get my ass kicked these days.
I just don't find myself ever being tried anyway.

Vanilla Gorilla - 10-22-2009 at 09:17 AM

I honestly just try to walk away now, no matter how hard it may be, a stupid fight is just not getting arrested over.

BDx13 - 10-22-2009 at 10:14 AM

that's a big part of it, too.
i have a responsibility to to my wife and kids to stay out of the pokey.
they come first in every decision.

Turner - 10-29-2009 at 11:18 PM

I'm a douche bag spammer!

BKT - 10-30-2009 at 12:25 AM

Sometimes I just have to smash someone and ya it is stupid, but sometimes I just can't let it go. That being said I am a lot better than I used to be and avoid any situation where I feel I might end up in a fight. Too much to lose now.

MM.

barc0debaby - 10-30-2009 at 12:47 AM

Some people just won't quit unless you hit them in their stupid fuckin face.

DaveMoral - 10-30-2009 at 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turner
I'm a douche bag spammer!

HAHAHAHA!