Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Name a good horror movie from the past few years...

XnMeX - 11-1-2009 at 12:43 AM

I wanna know if any came out, because I haven't found em'. Last horror movide I enjoyed were probably Rob Zombies Halloween and High Tension.

necrobutcher - 11-1-2009 at 02:03 AM

I highly recommend Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

While not really a horror movie check out The Proposition. A hyper violent western set in Australia 100 years ago. Fucking grim as hell.

Mark Lind - 11-1-2009 at 09:18 AM

The greats as far as I'm concerned (and note that very few came out recently):

The Exorcists
Halloween 1 & 2 (original)
Nightmare on Elm Street 1
The Mothman Prophecies
Paranormal Activity

There are a host of other movies that I really like that people consider to be horror movies including all the Romero zombie movies. But these ones here are the ones that are really scary. Halloween is the only movie that I find to be scary while relying on startling moments. All of these others are scary conceptually which I think is what makes the best kind of horror movies.

Jason the Magnificent - 11-1-2009 at 09:56 AM

House of the Devil.

DaveMoral - 11-1-2009 at 10:36 AM

I keep hearing good things about Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell.

MattyA - 11-1-2009 at 11:42 AM

Micheal Myers is the greatest horror movie villain of all time in my opinion. Halloween 1, and 2 are my favorite horror movies ever. Even some of the sequals were good, except for Halloween 3 don't know what they were thinking not having Micheal in it.

tireironsaint - 11-1-2009 at 01:17 PM

Drag Me To Hell was a big disappointment. I hate to say it, since I'm a huge fan of the Evil Dead movies, but it was like they took the formula from Evil Dead and made it family friendly. There were some good moments, but overall I left feeling very let down.

Spoiler - 11-1-2009 at 01:24 PM

as far as recent horror movies , The Descent & Wolf's Creek were both really good.

older:
Dog Soldiers

tireironsaint - 11-1-2009 at 01:30 PM

Dog Soldiers is fantastic! Quite possibly the best werewolf movie ever made. I have high hopes for the new Wolfman movie though. The Descent was cool too, those things were genuinely creepy as fuck. Let The Right One In is really fucking good, but I've been told that watching the dubbed version is a very bad idea and that you have to stick with the subtitled version for the movie to not be ruined.

joey - 11-1-2009 at 02:08 PM

Inside

GabeTexasGAMC - 11-1-2009 at 02:10 PM

Dead Snow, Nazi Zombies in scandinavia!
http://www.ifcfilms.com/videos/dead-snow-trailer

Pontypool is pretty rad. Words as carriers for a zombie disease. People start going ape shit nuts and killing.
http://www.ifcfilms.com/videos/pontypool-trailer

The Crazies looks cool. http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/thecrazies/

Theyre making a [rec]2, cant wait for that. If youve never seen [Rec], do yourself a favor and check out what Quarentine SHOULD have been. (but american horror is 90% shit)
[rec] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQUkX_XowqI

[rec]2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-gVB-U5is
The french have come out with some awesome shit.
Inside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldUsz12kSQU
Martyrs This movie fucking ruled!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNM9kKo4JNU
& Frontiers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_I3zv997qg
all rad.
Trick r Treat was fucking cool. Its like a creepshow styled movie, a bit cheesy a little campy, but all around cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jh0DwJZjz8
Im down with some movies.

CR83 - 11-1-2009 at 02:34 PM

I am about 30 minutes into the new Halloween. So good.

Saw I is still amazing to me.

XnMeX - 11-1-2009 at 03:55 PM

See, I hated Drag Me To Hell, Paranormal Activity, and Trick R Treat.

I need to see [rec] because I saw Quarentine and I liked it and had no idea it was an "american" version of a foreign film.

Next horror type movie I plan on trying is The Orphanage and if I end up hating it, I give up on horror.

Paranormal Activity I have heard ALOT of people saying good thing about but the story is a bad Amitiyville knock off dragged out for way too long (even thought the movie is short it feels like forever) and there is about 10 mintues total in the whole movie where anything actually happens. Only scene I thought was cool was...

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Her getting dragged out of bed. Pretty cool but there was barely ANY action at all in the movie. I didn't expect a TON of action but holy fucking bordem!

SS76 - 11-1-2009 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joey
Inside

Fucking awesome movie. The Last House On The Left remake was really good.

JawnDiablo - 11-1-2009 at 06:41 PM

Martyrs...not quite horror maybe but disturbing

M.Alki - 11-1-2009 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
Next horror type movie I plan on trying is The Orphanage and if I end up hating it, I give up on horror.

I only saw The Orphanage kinda recently, i really liked it but didnt really look at it as a horror as such.
The Devils Backbone (directed by Guillermo Del Toro, same dude who produced The Orphanage and directed Pans Labyrinth and Hellboy) isn't very recent but is also pretty damn good.

SS76 - 11-1-2009 at 07:15 PM

just put Martyrs and Devil's Backbone on my netflix.

tireironsaint - 11-1-2009 at 07:22 PM

Devil's Backbone is amazing. I haven't seen The Orphanage, but I heard it lifts a lot of shit from Devil's Backbone. I guess that's ok when you get the writer and director of the original movie to produce your movie....

M.Alki - 11-1-2009 at 07:28 PM

It does kinda lift some stuff from Devils Backbone but not so much so that it bothered me.
Only reason i even ended up watching Devils Backbone is because i saw Pans Labyrinth (which was a bit of a shocker for me as i thought it was gona be a proper little kids movie!haha) loved it, so looked into other stuff the director had done and found Devils Backbone and Cronos.

lifeisabitch - 11-1-2009 at 08:40 PM

the orphange is play it now on netfilx will watch tonight

MikeFromInhuman - 11-3-2009 at 10:34 AM

INSIDE (France)
MARTYRS (France)
FRONTIERS (France)
THE MIST
THE HILLS HAVE EYES (remake)
THE DESCENT
REC (Spain)

mattybar - 11-3-2009 at 12:29 PM

i understand where you're coming from, xnmex.
i have no interest in horror movies these days but i can't work out why.
i love a lot of mindless gore films from the 80s and lots of 70s and 80s Italian horror as well as all that 80s golden era of American horror but the newer stuff just doesn't appeal.

I think the last modern horror I saw was Hostel and I thought it was terrible.
the first Saw movie was ok but it really went to shit toward the end.
I have no desire to see any remakes.
i just wanna own all the old shit on dvd and then just re-watch it for eternity.

there's no logic involved here, it just seems to be the case haha!

XnMeX - 11-3-2009 at 12:34 PM

Some points I feel like good horror has not been done much lately and I am not imagining things and that most horror coming out IS in fact total crap...

Then again...

Sometimes I feel like a crabby old man that doesn't understand these dang kids nowadays and there so-called horror movies!

I am not exactly sure which one it is. Probably somewhere in the middle of the 2.

XnMeX - 11-3-2009 at 12:35 PM

As for Paranormal Activity...

***Semi-spoilerish maybe?

If Blair Witch and Ammityville had a love child, that would be it. Blair Witch style with Ammity story.

mattybar - 11-3-2009 at 12:51 PM

i forgot to add, i'm looking forward to Paranormal Activity.
a lot of people said it's dull and boring etc etc but a lot of people said the same about Blair Witch and i loved that so i have high hopes.

Jason the Magnificent - 11-3-2009 at 01:54 PM

The Descent (I know it was mentioned)....probably one of the best horror movies in the past decade. 30 minutes of chicks in a cave dealing with the oppresion of claustophobic conditions and being lost...then albino fucking cave vampires get thrown into the mix? Get the F out. Chicks covered in blood and albino cave vampire toddlers capping it out...would be perfect if it wasn't for the stupid toned down American ending.

Between Dog Soldiers and the Descent Marshall was 2 for 2 going into Doomsday...which kind of stunk, now he's doing a Gladiator movie.

BKT - 11-3-2009 at 02:28 PM

the poughkeepsie tapes.

That movie was intense and gave me the creeps numerous time.

Trailer:

morgan - 11-3-2009 at 03:43 PM

Martyrs, High Tension, Trick r Treat, and Session 9 have been some of my recent favorites.

XnMeX - 11-3-2009 at 04:07 PM

For those that liked Trick R Treat, please explain. To me it was probably one of the worst. If I was 8 years old that probably would have been entertaining to me but that is it. I don't mean to sound like an ass but I am serious.

GabeTexasGAMC - 11-3-2009 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
For those that liked Trick R Treat, please explain. To me it was probably one of the worst. If I was 8 years old that probably would have been entertaining to me but that is it. I don't mean to sound like an ass but I am serious.

I personally loved it as it reminded me of all the tales from the crypt/creepshow styled movies of my youth.
It was meant to be campy and a bit funny, and halloweenie!
I loved it because of all the things I picked up on after a few times I watched it. all the characters all over the place during each story. The fat kid, the robot lady, the serial killing principal, the bus driver, the girls the kids, little sam. It was great because it wasnt a "Serious" horror movie.
It was a Halloween movie.

Ive noticed I have almost no commonality with any of you movie wise. Quarantine was the worst piece of shit movie ive ever seen, right up there with one missed call and the remake of the eye.

Paranormal Activity was horrible, a big lead up to a horrible ending. anti fucking crescendo. Theres a version of it online with a better ending that totally saves this movie. you should try to look it up!

Drag me to hell was awesome only for the fact that i laughed my ass off after every jump scare part, after every vomit inducing maggots in juice in the mouth part, all of it was just rad.
I went in knowing it was a Raimi movie. I didnt hold it up to any other standards higher that the Army Of Darkness. and it ruled.
hahah

We would not make good movie buddies Thorp Board.

GabeTexasGAMC - 11-3-2009 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by metal mulisha
the poughkeepsie tapes.

Trailer:

This!

serious.... This movie was creepy as fuck. Like watching a history channel doc, with actual footage. So good.

Aslo, want a movie that sticks in your head?
The girl next door. Not the teen comedy one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAVr-XyL7eQ
its like i wanted to wash my brain off with bleach.
it stuck with me for a few days.
Begotten is also one of those weird ass movies that just makes you sick from just watching it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fadhsuINHfk

morgan - 11-3-2009 at 07:14 PM

Damn forgot about the girl next door. That one was pretty fucked up.

SS76 - 11-3-2009 at 07:50 PM

the poughkeepsie tapes. Just finished it, incredible. And I just drove through Poughkeepsie sunday; odd coincidence. Gabe, totally agree with you on trick r treat and quarantine.

CR83 - 11-3-2009 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
the poughkeepsie tapes.

Trailer:

Dude, this looks amazing. I have never heard it. Must get. Thanks Man.

morgan - 11-3-2009 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83
Quote:
the poughkeepsie tapes.

Trailer:

lifeisabitch - 11-3-2009 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Quote:
Quote:
the poughkeepsie tapes.

Trailer:

fuck I told you all about this movie almost 2 yers ago when mgm had me make shirts for the realease...
it was supposed to go to theathers but they ditched it to dvd

GabeTexasGAMC - 11-4-2009 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the poughkeepsie tapes.

Trailer:

fuck I told you all about this movie almost 2 yers ago when mgm had me make shirts for the realease...
it was supposed to go to theathers but they ditched it to dvd

?

lifeisabitch - 11-4-2009 at 12:38 AM

??

BDx13 - 11-4-2009 at 01:05 AM

done.

GabeTexasGAMC - 11-4-2009 at 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
dude really?
we don't use real names here
edit that shit man

Oh ok. check your pms.

mattybar - 11-4-2009 at 07:17 AM

wow.
just read up on The Girl Next Door.
Sounds horrible.

Read about the story of Sylvia Likens after that and now I'm just depressed.

GabeTexasGAMC - 11-4-2009 at 02:56 PM

yeah man, read the Jack Ketchum book. Its sooo fucked.

M.Alki - 11-6-2009 at 04:58 PM

Im pretty sure i just caught the one with the not so great ending.
Me and Matty just watched it and i found it good (scared the crap outa me!, admittedly not hard to do) aside from the one bit where he looks online about something...dont really want to say too much and give it away to anyone who hasnt watched it

Quote:
Originally posted by GabeTexasGAMC
Paranormal Activity was horrible, a big lead up to a horrible ending. anti fucking crescendo. Theres a version of it online with a better ending that totally saves this movie. you should try to look it up!

random - 11-6-2009 at 05:15 PM

the poughkeepsie tapes was my first thought when i saw the title. nice to see others agree. that move is totally fucked in an awesome and creepy way.

mattybar - 11-9-2009 at 09:51 AM

i enjoyed Paranormal Activity.
The one we watched was definitely the original screener version with a different ending to the version being shown in theaters now.

**********POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW!!!***************

I checked the 'new' ending and thought it was ok but a bit pointless and unnecessary.
Just seemed like an empty gesture really, like they wanted to put a bit of cgi horror in there for kids today when they'd already implied what was happening in the original ending.
I'm just wondering if there's anything else different about that version too.

yeah the original featured some footage of a girl on the internet who'd suffered a similar problem and it was completely out of place within the context of the film.
Helped explain it a bit but they could have just done that with the script, we didn't need that footage.

also, re: the new ending
that shit is actually IN the trailer, like the climax of the film in the trailer... i thought they stopped doing that years ago.

on the whole though, i thought it was cool and i'd be totally lying if i said it hasn't crossed my mind more than a few times since i watched it haha

M.Alki - 11-9-2009 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattybar
on the whole though, i thought it was cool and i'd be totally lying if i said it hasn't crossed my mind more than a few times since i watched it haha

Matty, we were both clutching cushions! haha
And id rather that movie crossed my mind than the Craig David song that i couldnt get out of my head when i fell asleep that night! that's really scary shit! haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bTqfbXnZs

SS76 - 11-9-2009 at 10:54 PM

watched The Girl Next Door.....there has NEVER in the history of movies been a meaner bitch than Ruth. Unfuckingbelievable.

CR83 - 11-9-2009 at 11:21 PM

I tried to add Poughkeepsie Tapes isn't available yet. SHIT!

random - 11-10-2009 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
I tried to add Poughkeepsie Tapes isn't available yet. SHIT!

Check the thread and see if someone posted a link to the movie. Someone (maybe MM?) posted a link to it on Google video a while back which is how I saw it. Definitely worth seeing, but put the kid83s to sleep first.

random - 11-10-2009 at 07:42 PM

links don't seem to work so well anymore, but here's the old thread... http://thorprecords.com/boards/viewthread.php?tid=13758&page...

random - 11-10-2009 at 07:43 PM

third post... try here http://video.google.ch/videoplay?docid=4358979147292049820&e...

morgan - 11-20-2009 at 06:15 AM

Links to both parts of The Poughkeepsie Tapes

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual...
part 1

part 2

Discipline - 11-20-2009 at 12:25 PM

I watched The Poughkeepsie Tapes yesterday and thought it was kinda dull.

Two movies I really like that I think get overlooked are Blair Witch 2 and Silent Hill.

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-20-2009 at 12:47 PM

i thought silent hill sucked, i remembered even trying to make it better by drinking more and that didn't even work

mattybar - 11-20-2009 at 01:18 PM

i quite enjoyed Silent Hill.
it was very random that i ended up watching it.
it was on in the background and i ended up getting quite sucked into it.

SS76 - 11-20-2009 at 06:25 PM

anyone else seen Girl Next Door? That movie left a scar on my brain.

random - 11-20-2009 at 08:48 PM

saw the poughkeepsie tapes again recently. kinda boring. the person i watched it with wasn't too impressed, either. i did think it was really good the first time... super creepy. maybe i was wrong, or maybe the novelty wears off real quick. still worth a viewing.

Discipline - 11-20-2009 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shootingscars

I watched it a few days ago. It was fucked up. I just borrowed An American Crime from my sister which is based on the same story, so it will hopefully provide a good comparison piece.

morgan - 11-21-2009 at 04:09 AM

Quote:

Yep.

M.Alki - 11-21-2009 at 05:57 PM

Watched The Poughkeepsie Tapes last weekend and wasnt all that fussed about it, it was ok but it didnt creep me out all that much.
Started watching something early hours of this morning with someone but after a few mins we didnt think our brains could deal with it so plan on watching it another time.
Its not a horror as such and not very recent but just from the trailer and what i saw this morning it seems pretty damn intense! It's called 'Begotten' here is one of the trailers..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_c_odzPOZc

SS76 - 11-22-2009 at 02:00 AM

I own Begotten, fucked up pointless movie that's only good with the volume muted and any Ministry album cranked up.

CR83 - 11-22-2009 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Links to both parts of The Poughkeepsie Tapes

part 1

part 2

You rule all.

morgan - 11-22-2009 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
I own Begotten, fucked up pointless movie that's only good with the volume muted and any Ministry album cranked up.

This sounds interestomg.

mattybar - 11-23-2009 at 06:17 AM

many thanks for the links to The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I can't say I particularly enjoyed it or disliked it.
Some of the actors were very unconvincing.
In particular the FBI guy who says "i had to view all the tapes and one day i took my work home and my fiance saw a tape. it was over a year before she let me touch her again".
the little pause for effect before that last line was so false i burst out laughing watching it.
some of the other stuff was kinda fucked up though.

the bit where the English girl meets her death is fucked.

the one thing that really bothers me and kept me thinking about it was the part where Cheryl, the girl who was kidnapped, slit the prostitute's throat. At first I wasn't sure if she did it to put the other girl out of her misery as she knew exactly what horrors were awaiting her, or if she had gone crazy from being subjected to all that violence or if she had truly become his slave.
That was unsettling.

When I watched that scene again, you see him hand her the knife, teh untie her and whisper something to her ear. Even still, that was kinda messed up.

I think it could have been brilliant with better actors involved.

I think the faux-news documentary approach worked quite well what with the reconsctructions and the moody music and so on as, in the UK anyways, a lot of crime and news shows do feature melodramatic music over actual footage of violence and reconstructions.

i'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Some of the dialogue I could imagine being sampled by some pig vocals gore beatdown death nonsense band.