Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Pete Steele - R.I.P.

MikeFromInhuman - 4-15-2010 at 05:10 AM

As a fan of his for over 20 years, this news is hitting me pretty hard.

Literally 1 hr before I got the text message from my bassist Hank that he had died, I was in a diner in Brooklyn with a friend and were talking about Carnivore and Type O Negative. My friend and I were talking about how glad we were that Pete had got sober and that a new Type O record and tour were on the horizon.

I used to keep a record of all of the shows I went to starting from the very first in May of 1988 to around late 2000 and I had recently noticed that the 20 yr anniversary of Type O's first show had passed, March 23rd 1990 @ L'amour in Brooklyn and that the ICEMEN and AMERICAN EAGLE were the openers. I was there and I was 16 yrs old, checking out Pete from CARNIVORE's new band and I loved them from that day on. They were called REPLULSION then and were selling the green colored demo that I bought that night and still own to this day. They went from NEW MINORITY, to REPULSION, to SUB ZERO to finally TYPE O NEGATIVE.

Pete meant a lot to me, and he meant a lot to Brooklyn.
I would say that he was without a doubt the most successful Brooklynite to ever come out of the HC/Metal scene and a true "Brooklyn Bastard" if there ever was one.

CARNIVORE and TYPE O NEGATIVE have had a tremendous impact on my life and I am really beside myself right now.

Rest in Peace my brother.
You will be forever missed.

Mike Scondotto
INHUMAN

BDx13 - 4-15-2010 at 06:12 AM

sorry to hear this news.

XHonusWagnerX - 4-15-2010 at 06:22 AM

Wow, what happened??

JawnDiablo - 4-15-2010 at 07:11 AM

Damn
this is terrible

Dude wasn't very old was he?

I saw type o a few times over the years.
first time at the troc in my senior year of high school was awesome.

panzerkreuzer - 4-15-2010 at 07:23 AM

is it really true or just a bad type o joke?

XHonusWagnerX - 4-15-2010 at 08:42 AM

I'm bummed I never saw Carnivore : (

clevohardcore - 4-15-2010 at 09:24 AM

not intot he band like you mike but R.I.P none the less. THe band was seriously influential.

XHonusWagnerX - 4-15-2010 at 09:35 AM

they just did a little tribute to Pete on Howard Stern.

They played the Type O cover of 'Cinnamon Girl' by Neil Young and they talked about how he was on the Private Parts soundtrack and how he whipped out his cock for Robin when he was on the show.

barc0debaby - 4-15-2010 at 09:57 AM

R.I.P

Note- Don't put his name into google images.

clevohardcore - 4-15-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
R.I.P

^^^^^ I can only imagine why.

XHonusWagnerX - 4-15-2010 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
R.I.P

PETER STEEL
BIGGEST DICK IN HARDCORE!

lifeisabitch - 4-15-2010 at 11:44 AM

I think I am the only non fan in the world, but sucks he died, RIP

XHonusWagnerX - 4-15-2010 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
I think I am the only non fan in the world, but sucks he died, RIP

I'm not a Type O song with the exception of a few songs, but I loved Carnivore!

Discipline - 4-15-2010 at 12:23 PM

Love Carnivore, and really love Type O Negative. Shitty news.

necrobutcher - 4-15-2010 at 03:37 PM

RIP

Goddamnit, man this sucks. I just heard the guy finally defeated his personal demons. Now this.

clevohardcore - 4-15-2010 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
RIP

Goddamnit, man this sucks. I just heard the guy finally defeated his personal demons. Now this.

^^^^^^ What was his demons?

necrobutcher - 4-15-2010 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
RIP

^^^^^^ What was his demons?

Cocaine, alcohol and depression. I have read some interviews with him and after fighting them for years, he finally got it under control. I don't know for sure but it sounds like he got cleaned up but the damage to his body was already done.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-15-2010 at 07:26 PM

Jason the Magnificent - 4-15-2010 at 07:26 PM

Jason the Magnificent - 4-15-2010 at 07:27 PM

BDx13 - 4-15-2010 at 09:11 PM

Carnivore yes, Type O no.

JawnDiablo - 4-15-2010 at 11:11 PM

While I'm not much a fan of stuff Pete did post slow deep and hard, i must say the man did what he did well and I'm sad to hear he's gone.

here's my personal Pete Steele moment:
Philadelphia 1992 or so: Merch booth @ troc
some girl to Pete: You Rule my world!
Pete:you're doomed....sips soda ....leaves
Diablo: 17 and aplauding in head

Discipline - 4-16-2010 at 10:45 AM

I remember my sister and I laughing our asses off at a Type O show because of the line of women at the side of the stage lined up hoping to meet Peter Steele. It was all leather, latex, and lace.

MikeFromInhuman - 4-18-2010 at 06:10 PM

Capital Underground Seg 2- 4/18/10 - A Tribute to Peter Steele, Hear Music by Carnivore & Type-O-Negative, Feature Interviews & Commentary by with Ari Mihalopoulos-Destrophy, Billy Milano of SOD/MOD, Paul Bearer-Sheer Terror/Joe Coffee, Billy Graziadei-Biohazard, Michael Scondotto, of Inhuman!

Listen here:

http://www.capitalundergroundradio.com/

JawnDiablo - 4-18-2010 at 07:34 PM

While I do not know Ralph personally, I have corresponded with him over the years thru another aquaintence, and he always seemed like a great dude.
I think he posted on here a couple times.
To Ralph: Well done on this tribute.

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle - 5-1-2010 at 02:05 AM

This one was really fucking tough for me as Carnivore have been one of my favorite bands since the late 80's. I STILL, even this many years later play the living shit out of their debut (I prefer it to "Retaliation" though both are incredible). The first Type O record was pretty much shit written originally for Carnivore and I love it as well. "Bloody Kisses" lost me though. Believe it or not, over time, I really warmed up to "October Rust", especially tracks like "Red Water". Since OR, they have been hit/miss for me and I never warmed up to the band overall like I did Carnivore whom I can easily say was my favorite "speed/crossover" band to come out of the 80's.

Another oft-overlooked Steele classic was the Fallout single that pre-dated Carnivore. That thing kicks ass. Supposedly there are more Fallout songs in existence, I would sure love to hear 'em. Also, supposedly the revamped Carnivore lineup were actually working on a new album (I've heard conflicting reports; some say they were actually working on a new album while others say they were merely planning on doing a new album but were not actually working on one, so who knows). If they actually did have some new recordings, I would sure as fuck love to hear 'em.

Anyways, RIP big guy, I'll never forget seeing Type O on their first tour way back in '91 when they opened for "Urban Discipline" era Biohazard and The Exploited. Unfortunately, I never did get to see Carnivore live. I always hoped that I would get a chance to at least see the new version live someday, but alas, it's not to be.

I hope he has finally the peace which seemed to elude him during his 48 year stay on this rock of ours. I'm sure as shit gonna miss him and his hilarious sarcastic attitude as well as his tunes.

XHonusWagnerX - 5-1-2010 at 08:14 AM

I saw the Type O, Biohazard, Expolited tour too. Great show!