Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

learning to skateboard?

XHonusWagnerX - 10-14-2010 at 06:13 PM

whats the best way for an 'adult' to try to learn to skateboard if they dont have someone to 'teach' them?

BDx13 - 10-14-2010 at 07:41 PM

i guess it depends where you're starting. if you're getting on for the first time, just get out there and start getting used to balancing and shifting your weight. try riding with your right foot forward, then try riding with your left foot forward to see which is more comfortable. try pushing with one foot, then the other. try turning, try manuals (wheelies), try nose manuals (kind of a reverse wheelie done by pushing down on the nose instead of the tail).

BDx13 - 10-14-2010 at 07:44 PM

Then you need to learn to ollie.
Learn from the best!

lifeisabitch - 10-14-2010 at 07:53 PM

really before even rolling, stand on the board in the grass and work on staying balanced and shifting your weight...
how I taught my kids to find their stance
then find a smooth flat area, like a basketball court or a tennis court and work on rolling straight

the most important piece of safety equipment at this point is gloves...
cause you'll be on your hands a lot catching yourself from hitting the ground...

there are lots of beginners videos online

morgan - 10-14-2010 at 08:25 PM

Honestly I think longboarding is easier to pick up and more fun. If your wanting to freeride there are even longboards set up for it.

sippers - 10-14-2010 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
really before even rolling, stand on the board in the grass and work on staying balanced and shifting your weight...
how I taught my kids to find their stance
then find a smooth flat area, like a basketball court or a tennis court and work on rolling straight

the most important piece of safety equipment at this point is gloves...
cause you'll be on your hands a lot catching yourself from hitting the ground...

there are lots of beginners videos online

and pick up some wrist guards.