Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

My Xbox is in about 15 pieces right now...

XnMeX - 11-17-2010 at 10:09 AM

Trying to fix RROD on my own. Anyone ever done it? I am using Youtube videos and have it taken apart and have the heatsinks cleaned up. Picking up some thermal compound after work to try and put it back together. I am trying to just clean it out, remove the thermal paste, put on new paste, and put it back together. Not replacing the x clamps since I was able to pull them out and keep them in good shape and kinda think replacing the x clamps with washers is a bit much but if this does'nt work, I will try the washer method.

LordActionWood - 11-17-2010 at 12:16 PM

I fixed mine temporarily using the towel method. Baiscally, just cover it with towels and let it overheat for about 20 minutes, turn it off then turn it back on.

I was shocked that it actually worked but the fix was temporary....after about a week or two, the RROD returned and I had to send it in....luckily it was under warranty. This has happened to me twice.

XnMeX - 11-17-2010 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, I heard the towel trick just causes more damage and will stop working after a few times so I never tried it.

XHonusWagnerX - 11-17-2010 at 03:31 PM

good post on Gamer Noize about it though!

XnMeX - 11-17-2010 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
good post on Gamer Noize about it though!

Hehe, yeah... I was like, what the hell! I am looking on eBay for repair ideas so might as well make a post!

Anyone here, feel free to chekc it out and click my eBay links! ;)

www.gamernoize.com

Discipline - 11-17-2010 at 08:48 PM

I thought RROD was a covered repair.

wez138 - 11-17-2010 at 09:38 PM

Yeah me too.......My brother was given a RROD xbox console by a friend, he chanced it by sending it off to mircosoft and they sent him a brand new one boxed.

He gave it to the guy's kids who gave it him in the first place.

XnMeX - 11-18-2010 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wez138
Yeah me too.......My brother was given a RROD xbox console by a friend, he chanced it by sending it off to mircosoft and they sent him a brand new one boxed.

He gave it to the guy's kids who gave it him in the first place.

If the manufacture date on the cosole is less than 3 years ago, it is a covered repair because the console is less than 3 years old. After 3 years it is no longer covered.

BTW, my system is now in ONE piece and is working!!! I just hope it STAYS working. Put it back together and tested it last night and this morning.