Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

most over rated and most under rated

JawnDiablo - 11-21-2010 at 06:54 PM

so in recent weeks we had threads on who's the first punk band and who's the first hardcore band...
so now I will ask yous, who is:

The most over rated hardcore band

and

The most under rated hardcore band

don't hold back, pull no punches, preach it.....

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-21-2010 at 07:38 PM

over rated pretty much any band they talk about on B9 that band probably has a lot of crucial merch featuring upside down crosses, baphomet and shit like that. That whole trend is fucking stupid, it's nothing newm metal bands have been doing that forever, i guess if you can be straight edge, anti-christian/religious its now your month or two to be cool

Discipline - 11-21-2010 at 08:23 PM

Overrated - Youth of Today
Underrated - Antiseen

sippers - 11-21-2010 at 09:14 PM

underrated
verbal assualt
justice league
pagan babies..

and youth of today was'nt overated ccme and bdtw pissed hc at its best owned..

overrated goes to Black Flag

Discipline - 11-21-2010 at 10:08 PM

I like some YOT stuff, but people revere them as gods. They ain't that good.

sentrand - 11-21-2010 at 10:38 PM

underrated- sluggo

MikeFromInhuman - 11-21-2010 at 11:08 PM

Overrated - AMERICAN NIGHTMARE and CONVERGE
Underrated - KILL YOUR IDOLS and ENSIGN

These aren't the "most" of either, but def some who came to mind easily.

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-21-2010 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Underrated - KILL YOUR IDOLS

Agree 100%

lifeisabitch - 11-22-2010 at 12:05 AM

overrated misfits

clevohardcore - 11-22-2010 at 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Overrated - AMERICAN NIGHTMARE and CONVERGE
Underrated - KILL YOUR IDOLS and ENSIGN

These aren't the "most" of either, but def some who came to mind easily.

^^^^^^^ This is gospel. KYI and ENSIGN= rocked it on every release. Even price of progression.

spyderdog - 11-22-2010 at 01:59 AM

overrated = bane

Six66Mike - 11-22-2010 at 03:11 AM

Over rated: +1 for Bane & Youth of Today, Outbreak, Fucked Up, Converge, Carpathian (absolute shit Aussie band making waves in a lot of places), Cold World, Ceremony, most of the B9 roster, all the hipster/emo tight pant bad haircut crabcore emocore screamo ad nauseum bands.

Under rated: +1 to Ensign, Reign Supreme, Blacklisted (are they huge yet?), Inhuman, 50 Lions, Ambush! (one of two new bands I love), Wait In Vain (the other new band I love), Ramallah, I Refuse (Ottawa band that recently split, was around a while), A Day And A Deathwish (Welland band that broke up years ago, toured with lots of US bands around Ontario and never got any support from the same bands when looking to go to the US) & The Kill Decibel (same story).

barc0debaby - 11-22-2010 at 03:19 AM

Overrated - 90% of the bands from the 80's.

Hard Response is way under rated!

Colin - 11-22-2010 at 05:58 AM

overrated/never needed to happen=Hatebreed, any band that was ever influenced by them, and 99% of anything considered "thugcore"

underrated=Saccharine Trust

REV.PAULIE - 11-22-2010 at 06:57 AM

Over Rated: Anything on Revelation in the late 80'/early 90's.And,Bad Brains,after I AGAINST I...And,most of Boston's (the "city") output in the '80's,nevermind 90's.SSD were GREAT,live.But,only "Get It Away" really captured that,in my opinion.And,not unlike a great deal of NY,and elsewhere,they all thought they'd become "rock bands" that were worth a fuck.Didn't happen.DYS sucked then,I can't imagine them being any better now just because they can play those terrible songs with years old talent...And,Social Distortion,too...I'll give them their 1st lp...After that?Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Under Rated: As always - POISON IDEA.

REV.PAULIE - 11-22-2010 at 07:00 AM

Early JERRY'S KID'S & GANG GREEN were great,as well...UNTIL,the R'N'R "bug" hit...

Discipline - 11-22-2010 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE

It's criminal how underrated they are. They should be one of the biggest bands in hardcore history.

clevohardcore - 11-22-2010 at 12:49 PM

OVERRATED - Chimaria For some reason they got popular.

UNDERATED- This Mortal Coil

XHonusWagnerX - 11-22-2010 at 12:52 PM

overrated:
Misfits - I'll agree they may be overrated at this point, but I think if they actually eded after Famous Monsters they wouldnt be. Its the dragging on and on of the name thats causing it.

Youth of Today - I love hardcore, love 'the straight edge', but they are not the gods that people think they are to me at least.

Madball - I like some songs here and there and I really like the 'Ball of Destruction' 7", but thats about it.

Integrity - I just never really got it. To much metal/not enough hardcore or not enough metal/to much hardcore depending on how you look at it.

Social Distortion & The Clash - Just not my thing.

Underrated:
Jerry's Kids
Poison Idea

JawnDiablo - 11-22-2010 at 01:10 PM

Overrated: Youth Of Today
Underrated: Poison Idea.
2 polar opposites

EJD - 11-22-2010 at 01:19 PM

Got to jump on the bandwagon with Youth of Today. Terrible band. Shelter is rubbish too, though I don't think anyone overrates them.

Six66Mike - 11-22-2010 at 02:47 PM

A new thread reminded me Stout seems to be under rated. How are they not touring endlessly across the US to huge crowds by now?

BKT - 11-22-2010 at 04:18 PM

Over Rated :
The Clash
The Ramones
Bad Brains

Under Rated :
Stout
St. Hood (especially since the last album)
Strung Out

BKT.

Colin - 11-22-2010 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE

It's criminal how underrated they are. They should be one of the biggest bands in hardcore history.

thedog - 11-22-2010 at 04:38 PM

under rated = no redeeming social value

newbreedbrian - 11-22-2010 at 04:42 PM

My answer could change at any given time but off the top of my head

Overrated - The Cromags. Yup you heard me.
Underrated - The Beltones

Colin - 11-22-2010 at 04:52 PM

on the topic of overrated bands....I got a laugh remembering my buddy rocking a AFI 'East Bay Hardcore' shirt in high school. Those dudes are into some weird ass shit last I saw...somethng involving keyboards & pink eyeshadow. Not that that is always a bad thing, it just is in their case

Colin - 11-22-2010 at 05:15 PM

another underrated band on my list, The Plugz

Johnny_Whistle - 11-22-2010 at 05:50 PM

Underrated:

The Freeze
Neutral Nation
Mung
Blatant Disregard

Overrated:

Danzig
Operation Ivy
Elvis

Discipline - 11-22-2010 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Whistle

Overrated:

Operation Ivy

Definitely overrated.

Mark Lind - 11-22-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
Underrated - The Beltones

tr00F!!!

random - 11-22-2010 at 07:35 PM

overrated - iron cross has to be on that list. best thing that band ever did was get covered by AF. 95% of oi from the 70s and 80s, 90+% of hardcore from the 80s, and 99% of oi and hardcore from the last 20 years.

underrated - nice to see the beltones, who are so underrated i would've forgotten about them if someone else didn't bring them up. also, most of the bands that were on GMM. currently, i'd say reno divorce is way underrated.

anti heros should be in both categories. they had a lot of stupid shit people love ("i'm hungry, i'm hungry, i'm gonna eat some meat") and some amazing stuff that's just not appreciated like it should be (eg. "national debt").

necrobutcher - 11-22-2010 at 08:46 PM

Overrated - Most of the youth crew stuff, Title Fight

Underrated - Poison Idea and Strength For A Reason

Six66Mike - 11-22-2010 at 10:00 PM

Good call on Strung Out, NRSV & SFAR in the under rated column.

jcarter - 11-22-2010 at 11:17 PM

Overrated: Pick a 90's tough guy metal band (I can't think of a particular band but just that whole slew of bands with the CHUNK-CHUNK thing and no fast parts) and Chain of Strength
Underrated: Definitely Poison Idea

tireironsaint - 11-22-2010 at 11:50 PM

I see a few of the underrated bands I would mention have already been listed: Poison Idea, Beltones, The Plugz.
I would also add to that list: The Weirdos, who were fucking brilliant and almost never get mentioned. Life's Blood, SFA, Poison 13 (who did everything with the Blues that The Cramps did with Rockabilly except get famous), The Big Boys and The Dicks (both of whom are getting a bit more attention these days, but still nowhere near enough. For modern bands, I would say that Cheap Tragedies are criminally underrated. Everyone should be talking about them. Listen to the song Days Of Our Lives and tell me they aren't fucking genius.

As far as overrated bands, I could go on for days. Several contenders have been named already, but I would say that 99.9999% of what gets called Hard Core in this decade is vastly overrated. If a band has at least one riff that sounds similar to either Hatebreed or Madball and at least one person has mentioned that band in a positive sense to another person...they're overrated. Rancid and every single band that has spun off or led up to them are ridiculously overrated. I tried to like Devil's Brigade because Matt Freeman seemed like the only genuine person in Rancid and the most talented, but that band is painfully bad and almost makes Rancid look good in comparison.

These are what jump to mind, but I may very well come back to this subject.

BKT - 11-23-2010 at 01:10 AM

Over rated : Fugazi. That band sucks so fucking much I can't even believe it for one second.

Under rated : In that grand scheme of things, Rose Tattoo.

BKT.

BKT - 11-23-2010 at 02:10 AM

Another very Under Rated band is The Corps from Oz. Check em out asap.

BKT.

mattybar - 11-23-2010 at 06:09 AM

over rated: blood for blood, madball, life of agony

under rated: sam black church, insult to injury, hellbent diehard (uk band), stout, darkside nyc

JawnDiablo - 11-23-2010 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarter
Overrated: Pick a 90's tough guy metal band (I can't think of a particular band but just that whole slew of bands with the CHUNK-CHUNK thing and no fast parts) and Chain of Strength
Underrated: Definitely Poison Idea

this board needs a "Like Button"
.....Like....

Colin - 11-23-2010 at 03:36 PM

overrated- The Casualties, The Virus, & any other "streetpunk" band that has a large following of 16 year old girls with facial piercings & low self esteem. As much as I like a lot of their albums, I gotta say it: Overrated- Agnostic Front. There's far better hardcore bands out there.

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-23-2010 at 03:41 PM

underrated - Tommy and the Terrors all their albums are good and Chum is perfect , all good songs

Colin - 11-23-2010 at 03:57 PM

underrated- Laughing Hyenas & Easy Action

newbreedbrian - 11-23-2010 at 04:24 PM

Very underrated - The Real Kids, Stretch Marks, Articles of Faith, Black Market Baby, Diesel Queens
Very overrated - Most 90s "hardcore", People who don't like Bad Brains :tumble:

Discipline - 11-23-2010 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin
underrated- Laughing Hyenas & Easy Action

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::singing::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mark Lind - 11-24-2010 at 12:55 PM

There are so many overrated bands. Mostly because the majority of bands get popular because of a gimmick or schtick rather than their music. Then there are bands that were once great but have either flatlined or tanked. Social Distortion comes to mind for making 0 progress in the past 14 years.

The most underrated bands I can think of are usually on small labels, play great music and never get beyond the dingy bar circuit. Born to Lose, Bombshell Rocks (their Sailor's Grave release line-up) come to mind. But the most underrated band I can think of is a band called The USM that was partially based in Providence, RI and partially in Boston. Their singer/guitarist, Rocco, is an unbelievable songwriter and they just never really went anywhere. As far as I know they never really even recorded their best material. The demos they have floating around are great but I believe they could have gone to the next level if they just got some resources behind them.

MikeResist - 11-24-2010 at 01:37 PM

Rocco is a great dude. He had been helping Refuse Resist while I was down from surgery. USM are def great.

panzerkreuzer - 11-24-2010 at 02:11 PM

most underrated: Everyday dollars
they´re so good, but nobody knows them.
most overrated: have heart

Johnny_Whistle - 11-24-2010 at 03:41 PM

USM had a brief fling with a comeback last year, but it never really panned out. Bob then reformed the McGunks, and they've been playing some pretty big shows lately. Bob's other old band, Meat Depressed, is another group that should have gone farther, IMO. I could be biased (MD's lead singer Pete Walsh is also the Gobshites' lead singer), but listen to their Fat Drunk & Stoopid cd and tell me they weren't great.

newbreedbrian - 11-24-2010 at 05:59 PM

One of the most criminally underrated bands in history:

The Nils

BKT - 11-25-2010 at 04:00 PM

Under rated : Banner Of Thugs.

BKT.

panzerkreuzer - 11-25-2010 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BKT
Under rated : Banner Of Thugs.

BKT.

definately.