Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Top Three Over Rated Metal Bands.

BKT - 12-10-2010 at 02:57 PM

Take them from any era or sub genera and lets hear who you think are the top three most over rated metal bands.

1) Pantera
2) Slayer
3) Sepultura

BKT.

XHonusWagnerX - 12-10-2010 at 03:14 PM

1) Guns N' Roses - I say I like them, but in reality all I like is Appetite for Destruction and 1/2 of the Lies record.

2) Metallica - I like a lot of Metallica stuff, most of it actually. Only stuff I hated was Load, Re-Load and most of Saint Anger. I consider them overrated because I dont really understand why they are 'gods' and Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer are on such a lower level even though they are popular.

3) KISS - I LOVE Kiss, but come on people follow them as blindly as they do with sports teams. Its like they can do no wrong even though they have 2 random guys dressed as past members and with the exception of a few songs here and there they havent had a really good album since 1978.

Discipline - 12-10-2010 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BKT
Take them from any era or sub genera and lets hear who you think are the top three most over rated metal bands.

1) Pantera
2) Slayer
3) Sepultura

BKT.

Love all three. Not ones you often see on a list of overrated bands.

Mark Lind - 12-10-2010 at 03:32 PM

1. Avenged Sevenfold
2. Killswitch Engage
3. Mastodon

Colin - 12-10-2010 at 03:33 PM

I could spend a long fuckin' time thinking of overrated metal bands, many of which I like. Love Slayer, but way overrated. Pantera, definitely overrated. Metallica, extremely overrated. Metal in general, overrated. 99.9% of it I can't take seriously, even the few bands I like. Musically a very talented genre, but for some reason it makes the least evil of people ever write some of the stupidest "evil" lyrics. Can't remember who said it on here, the whole thing about metal being smart music for stupid people & hardcore being stupid music for smart people, but that sums up my opinion pretty clearly. But I will say St. Vitus is one of my top underrated metal bands. Pentagram is pretty underrated. As is Impaled Northern Moonforest. :lol:My metal playlist in the last year has pretty much consisted of joke black metal bands like Morbid Anal Fog & The Black Satans. Swashbuckle's alright too, I can get down with some pirate metal for a few minutes.

Colin - 12-10-2010 at 03:36 PM

sorry to take it slightly off subject, but this is great. "Black as in darkness & evil"

Colin - 12-10-2010 at 04:01 PM

Lamb Of God. Overrated. I'm pretty sure Limp Bizkit think they are some sort of metal, they're the lamest shit ever. Rage Against The Machine, kind of considered metal, smart lyrics, repetitive & boring music. Overrated

Vanilla Gorilla - 12-10-2010 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin
sorry to take it slightly off subject, but this is great. "Black as in darkness & evil"

Ha, you aint evil Joe, you never shot a motherfucker, i'm evil

JawnDiablo - 12-10-2010 at 04:28 PM

Lamb Of God.......can't stand that band.

aside from that, I don't keep up with the stuff at all really..

as for Sepultura, lets call it 2 different bands here...
Sepultura with Max, excellent stuff. Chaos AD and Arise are total classics.
Sepultura without max: did anybody even bother to check it out?

Slayer, well I haven't heard anything that really impressed me since South Of Heaven. that was 1988...holy shit

JawnDiablo - 12-10-2010 at 04:31 PM

Terrorizer: World Downfall.....most Under rated metal cd ever. the drums are amazing.

Colin - 12-10-2010 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Ha, you aint evil Joe, you never shot a motherfucker, i'm evil
I bet you ain't shot shit, Joe. You shot yo load in yo fuckin' hand

Colin - 12-10-2010 at 04:34 PM

Quote:

Slayer, well I haven't heard anything that really impressed me since South Of Heaven. that was 1988...holy shit
Their newest stuff sound just like the old stuff, which is bad & good. I liked the lyrics to a lot of Christ Illusion though, they were relevant to what was going on in the world at that time, & that's what stood out to me

Jason the Magnificent - 12-10-2010 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
Terrorizer: World Downfall.....most Under rated metal cd ever. the drums are amazing.

I'd tend to agree here. Criminally underrated. Everyone who knows this album...knows how good it is, but this should be in the top 10 metal albums of all time. Period.

I am a GIANT Napalm death fanboy, and I'd easily say they're the superior "band"...but Napalm never came close to an album on the whole as powerful as World Downfall. It's just fucking ridiculous.

BKT - 12-10-2010 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Their newest stuff sound just like the old stuff, which is bad & good. I liked the lyrics to a lot of Christ Illusion though, they were relevant to what was going on in the world at that time, & that's what stood out to me

No it does not. They have never put anything out that could touch Show No Mercy or Reign In Blood.

BKT.

BKT - 12-10-2010 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo

Fucking amazing album. Dead Shall Rise was one of the songs that I credit with getting me into death metal in the first place.

BKT.

Colin - 12-10-2010 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BKT
Quote:
Quote:

No it does not. They have never put anything out that could touch Show No Mercy or Reign In Blood.

BKT.
oh, of course not. Can't beat those two. They just went back to their signature style on the last 2 albums, & having Dave Lombardo back was cool as well.

Discipline - 12-10-2010 at 06:11 PM

I still love Slayer, and I think God Hates Us All from 2001 is as good as any of their early stuff, and Christ Illusion was a solid album as well.

Terrorizer - World Downfall is one of the best metal records of all time.

Overrated - Gn'R, Megadeth (vocals were the worst shit ever), any black/rap/nu metal, Iron Maiden, Lamb of God, Meshuggha (sp. ?), Dragonforce, Iced Earth, Damageplan (Dimebag ruled, that band did not)

Six66Mike - 12-10-2010 at 06:44 PM

Only 3? From this thread I agree with:

Sepultura
Metallica
KISS
Avenged Sevenfold
Mastodon
Lamb of God
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Iced Earth

My own additions include:

In Flames
Opeth
Trivium
[insert any dozen or so nu metal bands here]
Bring Me The Horizon
Shadows Fall

jcarter - 12-10-2010 at 07:52 PM

1.) Megadeth
2.) Anthrax
3.) Megadeth (I fucking HATE Megadeth)

random - 12-10-2010 at 08:42 PM

Underrated metal (in no particular order)

(1) Metallica, up to and including "Justice for all..."

(2) GNR, "Appetite for Destruction"

(3) Ramallah

Overrated Metal

Everything else, even the shit I like or even love.

wez138 - 12-10-2010 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
1) Guns N' Roses - I say I like them, but in reality all I like is Appetite for Destruction and 1/2 of the Lies record.

2) Metallica - I like a lot of Metallica stuff, most of it actually. Only stuff I hated was Load, Re-Load and most of Saint Anger. I consider them overrated because I dont really understand why they are 'gods' and Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer are on such a lower level even though they are popular.

3) KISS - I LOVE Kiss, but come on people follow them as blindly as they do with sports teams. Its like they can do no wrong even though they have 2 random guys dressed as past members and with the exception of a few songs here and there they havent had a really good album since 1978.

YES,YES and YES!!!

The only difference is, I've never been a fan of any of them as all of those bands get on my tits.

wez138 - 12-10-2010 at 09:48 PM

Another under rated or hardly mentioned metal band....................ROSE TATTOO.

Mark Lind - 12-10-2010 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
Shadows Fall

I actually like them but I really believe that the newer bands have just worn me down by attrition to accept second rate songs. This is why Holy Grail is so exciting to me because they actually have great tunes.

MattyA - 12-11-2010 at 12:11 AM

1. Megadeth- boring live
2.Killswitch Engage- 1st album was good, then went to shit
3. Slipknot- just never understood them

clevohardcore - 12-11-2010 at 01:13 AM

DREAM THEATER- douchebag fans. Wannabee intelligent wannabe musicians think this band rules.
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE- Seriously, they suck
CHIMIRIA- I have no idea why they even exist.

barc0debaby - 12-11-2010 at 03:33 AM

Mastodon, the Haunted, Gwar (everything but the music is good)

Jason the Magnificent - 12-11-2010 at 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wez138
Another under rated or hardly mentioned metal band....................ROSE TATTOO.

It's a real big stretch calling Rose Tattoo Metal...def underrated, splitting hairs, but at some point a rock n roll band is a rock n roll band.

panzerkreuzer - 12-11-2010 at 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarter
1.) Megadeth

3.) Megadeth (I fucking HATE Megadeth)

youīre my man.

overrated:
megadeth
manowar
nightwish

underrated:
bolt thrower
solstafir
wolves in the throne room

Mark Lind - 12-11-2010 at 11:36 AM

I actually think Rose Tattoo is overrated in punk rock circles. People like to see them as some cool alternative to AC/DC but they really only have about 3 good songs. It is kind of surprising that they never got more popular though.

Colin - 12-11-2010 at 12:06 PM

glad someone else hates Dave Mustaine's vocals as much as I do. Thought about listing Rose Tattoo as underrated, but I more consider them hard rock. & Clevo, you're right on about the Dream Theater fans, I know a few of their fans, they suck to talk about music with. I was listening to The Boneyard (XM/Sirius) at work last night & realized (while I'm pretty sure no one liked them enough to be overrated) how much Queensryche blatantly rips off Iron Maiden. Another overrated band, they might as well be metal, that's pretty much what they are to me, tough guy thugcore metal: Hatebreed. Pretty sure half their fans think they're trying to play metal anyways

gavin - 12-11-2010 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
I actually think Rose Tattoo is overrated in punk rock circles. People like to see them as some cool alternative to AC/DC but they really only have about 3 good songs. It is kind of surprising that they never got more popular though.

dont you like guns and roses?....who ripped off their whole deal from rose tattoo?(according to axl himself)...and poorly at that
you're way off thinking they have only 3 good songs
you should really look deeper into their stuff
they seem to be a band you would really like since you enjoy so much straight up "rock" stuff

and anyone who needs an alternative to ac/dc is an asshole as they are one of the greatest bands of all time, along with rose tattoo
austrailia has done well with a batch of really good bands

Mark Lind - 12-11-2010 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
Quote:

dont you like guns and roses?....who ripped off their whole deal from rose tattoo?(according to axl himself)...and poorly at that
they seem to be a band you would really like since you enjoy so much straight up "rock" stuff

and anyone who needs an alternative to ac/dc is an asshole as they are one of the greatest bands of all time, along with rose tattoo

Guns N' Roses played Nice Boys. And so haven't about 100 other bands. That's about the end of that.

I have 2 Rose Tattoo albums. They just aren't that great. The first time I heard them I thought they were excellent but they never really realized the potential I expected they would when I heard those first few songs. Those albums haven't got played at my house in at least 10 years. They're just here collecting dust.

JawnDiablo - 12-11-2010 at 12:40 PM

hello me, its me again......I really hate megadeth....however i might go as far as crediting peace sells but whos buying as the record that got me into music when i was 11.......
I never would consider Rose Tattoo a metal band really. Gritty Rock & Roll. Love dudes voice and slide guitar.
They're another band I credit this board turning me onto.

I still enjoy easrly Metallica like Lightning and Puppets when I hear it.
As for G&R, I hated them back in the 80s / 90s mainly because my brother wore out a sweet child o mine record he had when he was 9.......but nowadays I like the Appetite songs quite a bit.

Reign In Blood is untouchable.

gavin - 12-11-2010 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Guns N' Roses played Nice Boys. And so haven't about 100 other bands. That's about the end of that.

I have 2 Rose Tattoo albums. They just aren't that great. The first time I heard them I thought they were excellent but they never really realized the potential I expected they would when I heard those first few songs. Those albums haven't got played at my house in at least 10 years. They're just here collecting dust.

that's actually not the end of that.
look up the story (i'm guessing it's online somewhere) about axl paying angry a great deal of money to have rose tattoo reform(late 80's i believe) and open for guns and roses so that he could "watch them every night and hang out with angry and learn"(not the exact quote but i promise you it's very close)....i read this in a magazine at the time.
at another time i read an interview with slash and axl saying if there was no rose tattoo, there would be no guns and roses...i remember this because the person doing the interview didnt know who rose tattoo was.

as far as you liking them, fair enough...to each his own.
there's always buckcherry for you to dig after all

wez138 - 12-11-2010 at 01:06 PM

Yeah.......I guess when I think about it rose tattoo are more RnB/blues/rock ESP on assault and battery!

But nice boys more than make's up for any shit song they've ever penned............PS I hate AC/DC, I've tried a fair few times, but they just don't anything for me.

Talking of amazing Aussie bands, Radiobird man anyone?

Mark Lind - 12-11-2010 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

that's actually not the end of that.
look up the story (i'm guessing it's online somewhere) about axl paying angry a great deal of money to have rose tattoo reform(late 80's i believe) and open for guns and roses so that he could "watch them every night and hang out with angry and learn"(not the exact quote but i promise you it's very close)....i read this in a magazine at the time.
at another time i read an interview with slash and axl saying if there was no rose tattoo, there would be no guns and roses...i remember this because the person doing the interview didnt know who rose tattoo was.

as far as you liking them, fair enough...to each his own.
there's always buckcherry for you to dig after all

Obviously this has struck some sort of sensitive chord with you. That's too bad.

I'm not sure what you're getting at about GNR. If you're siting these things then you go find the links and post them. But what you're describing sounds like the type of insincere comments bands make all the time. Yeah, Axl Rose used his fame a lot to hook up new and old bands. He got Jane's Addiction their record deal and took them, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden on their first tours. He wore a Nirvana cap in a video before Nevermind got released. They recorded obscure punk rock covers to promote older obsolete bands and put money in their pockets. So what? Even if he gave Rose Tattoo a rusty trombone in the press it doesn't mean anything more than someone paying respect to another band. And even if he sucked Angry Anderson's dick then it doesn't change anything about my opinion of Rose Tattoo being overrated and slobbered over by people in the punk rock world. Carry on. I didn't mean to upset you.

clevohardcore - 12-11-2010 at 02:23 PM

Megadeth does suck. Always has.

Colin - 12-11-2010 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wez138PS I hate AC/DC, I've tried a fair few times, but they just don't anything for me.

Talking of amazing Aussie bands, Radiobird man anyone?

I need to start listening to more obscure AC/DC myself, something I've been meaning to do for years now. They're a damn good band, but I've had to put up with classic rock radio at so many jobs over the last 10 years, they've forever ruined all of their popular songs for me, as well as several other bands. I've just recently started listening to Radio Birdman from hearing them on Sirius/XM Underground Garage, & really liking it. Heard the name for years, but I don't think I heard the music until last summer

jcarter - 12-11-2010 at 02:56 PM

For underrated I'm gonna put At the Gates out there...I don't know if they are really underrated but as far a s the people I know they are. Slaughter of the Soul is a perfect metal album.

jcarter - 12-11-2010 at 02:58 PM

I also hate Pantera.

Jason the Magnificent - 12-11-2010 at 08:23 PM

Megadeth is good. You guys are nuts.

CR83 - 12-11-2010 at 10:21 PM

This is no contest in my opinion.

GNR
Pantera
Megadeth

All are not worth 3 seconds of listening for me.

rollinpinmim - 12-11-2010 at 11:59 PM

The most overrated Metal bands to me are:
Anthrax- Their last singer that got sacked, Dan Nelson, used to play in a band with my best friend. Nice guy but he definitely has issues.

Megadeth- Dave's vocals annoy the hell out of me.

Primus- I know, not exactly Metal, but it seems that a lot of Metal fans are into them. I saw them play in Brooklyn this past Summer and I have never been so bored at a live show in my entire life up to this point. They absolutely sucked.

tireironsaint - 12-12-2010 at 05:12 AM

Overrated metal bands?

Madball

Terror

Hatebreed

I'm just kidding, all metal is overrated.

Jason the Magnificent - 12-12-2010 at 09:56 AM

I'd vote for Terror in the most overrated HC thread if there was one, single most boring HC band ever. Makes American Nightmare seem like Sheer terror.

Colin - 12-12-2010 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Overrated metal bands?

Madball

Terror

Hatebreed

I'm just kidding, all metal is overrated.
ha. Yes

clevohardcore - 12-12-2010 at 01:07 PM

DREAM THEATER.

I actually just got a dude really pissed about me busting his balls about that band. Dude started whining about it and said "I don't crack on your bands". I don't even have a band. DREAM THEATER fans are fucking gay.

Colin - 12-13-2010 at 01:30 PM

fuck all the music snob metal heads, especially those Dream Theater fools, those technical solos don't mean shit if you can't smash stuff with your fists & bone a harem of groupies at the snap of your fingers. That's what metal is supposed to be about.

Jason the Magnificent - 8-26-2011 at 08:31 AM

To not start a new thread....I actually saw Holy Grail last night w/ Toxic Holocaust. Way way way too pretentious live. The bass amp actually blew at one point "because they thrash too hard" and then the guitarists started doing dueling guitar solos to pass the time...only the one guitar player ran out of ideas by his third go around so he started doing GG Allin deedle dee type solos. I had a fucking migraine before Toxic Holocaust went on. Defintely more enjoyable on album.

JawnDiablo - 8-26-2011 at 08:57 AM

that's cornier than my morning dump I had.
and I had 3 ears of corn yesterday

clevohardcore - 8-26-2011 at 10:33 AM

Summer rules because you can grille fresh ears of corn.

SS76 - 8-26-2011 at 11:38 AM

I've got a boring can of corn chowder for lunch today.

Johnny_Whistle - 8-26-2011 at 12:54 PM

Do Oompa Loompas shit candy corn?

Six66Mike - 8-26-2011 at 05:34 PM

Can't believe I forgot Manowar the first time around.

Jason the Magnificent - 8-26-2011 at 06:29 PM

Maybe in the underrated thread!

JawnDiablo - 8-27-2011 at 07:37 AM

I still dislike Lamb Of God.
more corn than my morning turds after a family cookout

panzerkreuzer - 8-27-2011 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Six66Mike  
Can't believe I forgot Manowar the first time around.

cause itīs not metal but comedy. although the records up to louder than hell arenīt that bad.