Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

The Old Firm Casuals

BKT - 2-3-2011 at 03:45 PM

Anyone else looking forward to some music from these guys. Its Lars from Rancid and he has started an oi band. If you check out the bands influences and they stay true to them, then this should be a good release when it comes out.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Old-Firm-Casuals/185309981...

BKT.

panzerkreuzer - 2-3-2011 at 03:54 PM

iīm waiting for the first songs since i read about them on facebook.

MattyA - 2-3-2011 at 03:54 PM

Saw this the other day, looking forward to hearing them.

Vanilla Gorilla - 2-3-2011 at 04:06 PM

looking forward to this

tireironsaint - 2-3-2011 at 10:55 PM

Been hearing the name and was vaguely interested in checking 'em out until I heard Lars was involved.

BDx13 - 2-11-2011 at 02:07 PM

label has one song up:
http://listn.to/oitheboat/player?t=0&pos=10425&p=1

panzerkreuzer - 2-11-2011 at 02:29 PM

nothing special. and the production isnīt the best.

gavin - 2-11-2011 at 03:00 PM

not bad
not great but not bad either
sounds like they were listening to a lot of the last resort
the production on something like this should be not the best
fuck that big production bullshit
sometimes bands should sound like they recorded shit in a basement, on a 4 track, which is what i believe this is

panzerkreuzer - 2-11-2011 at 03:04 PM

i didnīt meant it needs a thick wall of sound production, but i donīt like the drumsound.
youīre right, sometimes is a rough production the best for a band.
as for this, if lars werenīt in the band, no one would much recognize them.
i think bastard choir and armed suspects have the better songs in that player.

gavin - 2-11-2011 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer
i didnīt meant it needs a thick wall of sound production, but i donīt like the drumsound.
youīre right, sometimes is a rough production the best for a band.
as for this, if lars werenīt in the band, no one would much recognize them.
i think bastard choir and armed suspects have the better songs in that player.

i was just thinking i like ALL the other songs on there more than this one
again, it's ok
i get what they are doing
i appreciate what they are doing
but based on this song alone, i can take it or leave it
i like the last resort and the templars better

BKT - 2-11-2011 at 03:33 PM

Meh. Not my deal, but I get the sound they were going for.

BKT.

Discipline - 2-11-2011 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Been hearing the name and was vaguely interested in checking 'em out until I heard Lars was involved.

barc0debaby - 2-11-2011 at 04:48 PM

Punk rock auto tune has finally come!

Lets take all the fancy technology we have and make these songs sound like they were recorded in some shitty studio/garage in 1985.

Mark Lind - 2-11-2011 at 05:39 PM

This would have made a decent filler track on a new Bastards' cd. It makes no sense to me that someone like Lars Fredericksen would choose to play music that is below his talent level. Oh well.

gavin - 2-11-2011 at 08:39 PM

I'm thinkin he's doin it cause he likes this type of stuff and his other bands don't really hit this type of thing...

JawnDiablo - 2-11-2011 at 08:42 PM

I don't have any hate for the dude.

Vanilla Gorilla - 2-11-2011 at 09:11 PM

I read an interview where he said wanted to do a Oi type of band years ago, and some how or another it ended up as a crew US Thugs or something like that instead of a band. I still don't understand what the point of a crew is or why its necessary, but that's probably a whole different thread.

Still looking forward to hearing more, i like thet stuff he puts out with rancid and with Lars Frederiksen and that bastards.

joey - 2-11-2011 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
I'm thinkin he's doin it cause he likes this type of stuff and his other bands don't really hit this type of thing...

Exactly

Johnny_Whistle - 2-12-2011 at 12:20 AM

Not a bad song, but yeah the production sounds like a rehearsal recording, or a scratch track or something. Hopefully the CD doesn't sound like this.

Mark Lind - 2-12-2011 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin

Oh yeah.... I agree. But the charm of many of the old oi bands was that they sounded like shit cuz they were just normal dudes making noise together and doing it on a shoe string budget. It seems weird to me that someone who is really gifted musically would want to pretend like he can't sing or play in order to sound like those bands. But to each his own..

tireironsaint - 2-12-2011 at 09:50 PM

I finally went ahead and listened to it, Lars hasn't done a thing yet that I think is worthwhile but I'd rather be able to talk about the music on it's own merits instead of just based on my dislike for that douchebag. After listening to that song I have to say that it's pretty much instantly forgettable and I can't see anybody really giving it a second glance if it wasn't for his name being attached to it. It's not the worst Oi I've ever heard, but that's not saying much. When Oi is good it's great, but there's some horrifyingly bad shit out there under that genre. This just falls squarely in the unimpressive range and since Lars' name doesn't impress me either, I hafta rate it as completely limp.

BDx13 - 3-14-2011 at 11:07 AM

preorders start on firday, for those who are interested:

store.oitheboat.com

BDx13 - 3-18-2011 at 12:37 PM

This went on sale at 6am Eastern.
Yellow is sold out.
Only 8 of the 100 'Fanatics Packs' left.
Not bad at all!

Mark Lind - 3-18-2011 at 12:46 PM

For a guy that has sold a couple of million records I wouldn't consider selling 100 7"s to be that great.

random - 3-21-2011 at 04:48 PM

I feel like Lars was going for too much of a Templars recorded-on-a-4-track-in-our-garage sound. Wouldn't be so funny if the Stamford Bridge (Carl Templar's side project) didn't sound polished and like what Lars should have been going after.

And didn't Lars produce one of the more polished Templars albums, Omne Datum Optimum? I know he was producing a bunch of GMM stuff around that time.

Discipline - 3-21-2011 at 08:58 PM

Also produced DKM and Anti-Heroes.

He's still a cunt.

wez138 - 3-22-2011 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Also produced DKM and Anti-Heroes.

He's still a cunt.

:yes::yes::yes:

He also produced cocksparrers here we stand.

But yeah, I won't be bothering with "OFC", One minute the guys a punk,then a biker now a skin! Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with a nod and a wink towards the stuff you love or formed your influences but it all seems a little forced and plastic to me. Give me superyob,on the job,marching orders,the veros,the templars,dare I say it skrewdriver any day over this bloated nonsense.

Discipline - 3-22-2011 at 12:05 PM

He probably started losing his hair so he decided to become a skinhead.

Voodoobillyman - 3-24-2011 at 06:34 AM

I just downloaded the one available song. I will probably listen to it tonight. I like Lars and the stuff he has done so this should be good

BDx13 - 4-14-2011 at 05:54 PM

http://www.ampmagazine.com/11765/the-old-firm-casuals-interv...

random - 4-14-2011 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
He probably started losing his hair so he decided to become a skinhead.

Discipline - 4-14-2011 at 06:33 PM

BALD!:thumbup:

I miss the Slumlords.

tireironsaint - 4-14-2011 at 08:37 PM

Quote:

I miss the Slumlords.

BDx13 - 4-26-2011 at 04:47 PM

mattybar - 4-26-2011 at 06:32 PM

the name 'old firm casuals' has me a little speechless.
let's just say they'd probably have an interesting time playing in Scotland.

BDx13 - 6-17-2011 at 10:13 AM

looks like they got another 7" coming up
nice cover.

panzerkreuzer - 6-22-2011 at 05:21 AM

they play a great show in philly. do have members there? they should go!

bombidol - 6-22-2011 at 07:52 AM

i have em booked over here for a gig in august. crazy money but it seems to be the road to rancid.

BKT - 6-22-2011 at 12:16 PM

Patriot? Fuck ya. One of the best American oi bands ever.

BKT.

MattyA - 6-27-2011 at 11:43 PM

Gonna be touring this summer, gonna check out the Quincy show.

8/6 - Philly - First Unitarian Church
8/7- NYC - Santos Party House
8/8 - Quincy MA - Club 58
8/9 - Albany - Bogies
8/10 - Buffalo - Mohawk Place
8/11 - Detroit - Shelter
8/12 - Chicago - Reggies

MattyA - 8-7-2011 at 08:20 PM

Anyone seen them yet, I am going to the show tomorrow the 8th. It got moved from club 58 to the Midway Cafe, place hold about 100 people tops Going to be and interesting night to say the least. Rival Mob, For the Worse, Cheech, and Ashers are on the show to.

bombidol - 8-8-2011 at 10:08 PM

Had then over last week and they were awesome I must say. Lars Is the nicest Guy I met in a long time

MattyA - 8-8-2011 at 11:46 PM

Show was great tonight, played every song they have, and Last Resort's Violence in our Minds. Weird seeing Lars so up close, use to seeing him on a bigger stage.

panzerkreuzer - 8-9-2011 at 06:02 AM

how was the mob? i wish they would play europe.

ShawnRefuse - 8-9-2011 at 02:06 PM

Show was great. Rival Mob only played a couple songs. Bass went out and no one helped them. Was kind of a bummer.

Gave Lars a CD and he said he had definitely heard of us. (didn't say good or bad, but hey he had heard of RR lol).

Fun show, I wish my mind wasn't so pre-occupied all the time though so I can enjoy things more again.