Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Panic Attacks

Johnny_Whistle - 3-8-2011 at 05:02 PM

Goddamn, I fucking hate them. I've been having them for the last two weeks, and I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown soon. Fuck fuck fuck.

BDx13 - 3-8-2011 at 05:42 PM

ever had them before?
any thing in particular stressin you out?
might need to see the doc about this!

Johnny_Whistle - 3-8-2011 at 06:08 PM

Yeah I'm on Ativan already. Got some personal issues going on at home. Basically, my life is starting to fall apart. People I thought were there for me turned out not to be. At all.

I'm sure it's not really as bad as I'm describing it, but that's how it feels. I may have to take a medical leave from work over this.

BDx13 - 3-8-2011 at 06:19 PM

damn, dude, that sounds serious.
take care of yourself and get the help you need.
we're here for ya, but there's only so much message board friends can do!

Discipline - 3-8-2011 at 07:35 PM

I feel your pain Johnny. I suffer them frequently. Last week I actually had the worst panic attack I've had in the last couple of years.

REV.PAULIE - 3-9-2011 at 05:17 AM

I don't get them very often,but when I do I friggin' love the feeling of impending doom...I just roll with 'em,and actually end up enjoying them. I have problems.

JawnDiablo - 3-9-2011 at 07:01 AM

I had quite a few in the last year.
my nerves have been a little crazy for the last 9 months or so.
they suck.
it's a good thing I have my girl to be the voice of reason and to talk me down in most cases

Johnny_Whistle - 3-9-2011 at 10:52 AM

Well my problem is, I no longer have someone to talk me down anymore. That's why I'm having the attacks.

BDx13 - 3-9-2011 at 11:05 AM

ugh, so sorry, johnny.
it may not be much, but we're always here to lend an ear.

Johnny_Whistle - 3-9-2011 at 12:07 PM

Thanks, BD. I've got a lot of support from friends and family. It's just a very tough time right now.

Johnny_Whistle - 3-22-2011 at 03:47 PM

You know when the worst time to have a panic attack is? While you're playing a gig. Wow.

Spoiler - 4-2-2011 at 05:30 PM

I started having panic attacks about 3 years ago. Anytime I get around a large group of people,or have to stand up in front of people (I have to give safety meetings at work)....I start breathing really hard and freak the fuck out. I seldom go out to club shows anymore....and have pissed off a few friends who don't understand why I stopped coming around. Unless you've been there,I guess it's hard to understand.My doc put me on Pristiq and Xanax. The Xanax really helps...but it's addictive. So I try not to take them unless I really need to. I feel you're pain brother. My doc has been trying to get me to go to counseling...but that's just not something I want to do.But he tells me that it's the best treatment for it.

Colin - 4-2-2011 at 06:00 PM

I get them on buses sometimes....sometimes at bars, parties, or 'get togethers' when I'm around a lot of people I don't know or like....it depends on the day. When I went through a (luckily only one so far) period of depression 4 years ago I got them all the time, but didn't really realize that's what it was, because a lot of people I know with them get nausea, which I didn't, although I would get really feverish. It had a lot to do with drinking/downer problems at the time so that might make sense. Not fun though

Johnny_Whistle - 4-7-2011 at 02:38 PM

Haven't had one in a few weeks (thanks Ativan!). But they still scare me.

JawnDiablo - 4-8-2011 at 03:34 PM

I guess these things are far more common than I had thought, having had bouts with them over the years.