Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Anyone down with The Smoking Popes?

BDx13 - 4-11-2011 at 10:58 AM

I listened to this band for the first time this weekend.
"The Smoking Popes Get Fired"
Honest to god, I thought it was a joke.
I could not believe dude's voice.

Voodoobillyman - 4-11-2011 at 11:28 AM

I downloaded the album thinking it was Smoke or Fire ( a really good band) and listened to it for a minute or so before deciding it was not for me. I have not deleted it from my itunes yet, so I guess my subconcious is telling me to give it another shot? On a completely different topic, I just read that Amy Winehouse and Questlove (drummer for the Roots) are planning an as yet unnamed band. That would be REALLY good I suspect.

Discipline - 4-11-2011 at 12:30 PM

Poo poo on toast.

morgan - 4-11-2011 at 12:40 PM

Never listened to them but I find the band's name amusing.

tireironsaint - 4-11-2011 at 03:07 PM

I've seen the name around for quite a while and for some reason always thought they were a Swingin' Utters rip off band. Went and found their website after reading this thread and played a little bit of a couple different videos they have there and the singer sounds like a bored Morrissey impersonator. Odd stuff and not interesting at all.

random - 4-11-2011 at 03:42 PM

I remember digging some stuff from them YEARS ago but can't remember a single song now. I think their biggest claim to fame was being name-dropped in Clueless, the movie with Alicia Silverstone (most famous, as far as I know, for being the hot girl in a few Aerosmith videos in the mid-1990s). Pretty sure I was over them by that time, since I remember thinking it was weird they were mentioned.

random - 4-11-2011 at 03:51 PM

Alright, had to look up the stuff I was referring to in the last post. Man, that was fucking awful. Ever have those moments where you wish you could hop in a time machine, go back to your younger self, and kick him in the nuts for doing something stupid? This is one of those times. And this is coming from a guy who freely admits to still occasionally listening to some hair metal like old Poison and Motley Crue.

Furly - 4-11-2011 at 09:19 PM

I had never heard of them til a few years ago. Went to San Fran to visit a friend and we went to see them. I'd rather rip my ear drums out with a fork then be stuck listening to them again.