Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

New HBO series Game of Thrones

Pages:  1    3  4

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-17-2011 at 08:48 PM

starts tonight who else is watching? I will pretty much give any HBO original series a try at this point, they seem to just have one good show after another.

BDx13 - 4-17-2011 at 10:24 PM

yeah, i'd pretty much watch any new series from hbo or sho.
but i gotta wait for that shit to come out on dvd.

Voodoobillyman - 4-18-2011 at 06:11 AM

It was good, has alot of promise. The ending was a bit shocking and really opened the series up with a bang. To those who didn't see it, my wife thoroughly enjoyed the midget with the horsecock banging 4 or 5 broads at the same time. Now THAT's entertainment :)

Jason the Magnificent - 4-18-2011 at 06:15 AM

Yeah really, good start. Never read the books. May do that when it's over.

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-18-2011 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Yeah really, good start. Never read the books. May do that when it's over.

I may do the same thing

Jason the Magnificent - 4-18-2011 at 08:52 AM

There's a deal on Amazon, all 4 of the books paperback for $20

XHonusWagnerX - 4-18-2011 at 11:09 AM

I didnt see it and have no idea what its about but I heard two exactly opposit reviews...

"Spoiler alert!... Game of Thrones SUCKS! Even on a 200" screen" - Ralph Cirella (Howard Sterns stylist)

"holy fucking game of thrones!!! yesssss nerd gloriousness!" - the cute girl that does merch for Refuse Resist

BDx13 - 4-18-2011 at 12:07 PM

do i need to have read the books, or does it seem like the series will stand on its own?

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-18-2011 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
do i need to have read the books, or does it seem like the series will stand on its own?

I haven't read the books yet, but the first episode seems pretty good on its own.

ShawnRefuse - 4-18-2011 at 12:22 PM

"the cute girl that does merch for RR" LOL.

Erika?

DaveMoral - 4-18-2011 at 12:22 PM

The first episode starts with the Prologue of book 1. It's great. I don't think you'll need to have read the novels.

I'll be torrenting this one for sure. I only got to see it last night because of an HBO free preview for tax relief weekend.

XHonusWagnerX - 4-18-2011 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse
"the cute girl that does merch for RR" LOL.

Erika?

haha yeah, thats the one.

but seriously, whats the show about?

Jason the Magnificent - 4-18-2011 at 12:32 PM

Yeah I can't see a network like HBO budgeting millions of $ into a show that anyone who hasn't read the books would be lost in.

I've heard it's like the Wire in that you have to put a bit of effort in at the front end to get a grip who all the players are ( I remember being lost the first 2-3 eps. of the Wire) but then it all falls into place.

lifeisabitch - 4-18-2011 at 02:43 PM

and if it goes like most of the books to tv series that hbo has done it will deviate quite a bit from the books

DAK - 4-18-2011 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD

me too

tireironsaint - 4-18-2011 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
Quote:
Originally posted by BD

me too

DaveMoral - 4-19-2011 at 07:01 PM

You guys need to get hip to torrents for this kind of stuff. No reason to wait for dvd.

MikeFromInhuman - 4-24-2011 at 02:40 AM

Good place to watch GAME OF THRONES streaming?? I don't want to download it.

dirtysteve - 4-24-2011 at 03:38 PM

it was ok. i canceled my hbo though, not worth 15 bucks a month. by the end of the show keeping track of all of the characters was kind of confusing.

Voodoobillyman - 4-25-2011 at 06:06 AM

new episode was AWESOME!!! There are already characters you love to hate and it does not waste time building up to some kind of epic battle. Good stuff

Jason the Magnificent - 4-25-2011 at 06:42 AM

Yeah really good...and I forgot Treme was starting back up too. Sundays rule for TV again.

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-25-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah really good...and I forgot Treme was starting back up too. Sundays rule for TV again.

Jason the Magnificent - 5-16-2011 at 06:25 AM

The episode last night....jesus christ.

Voodoobillyman - 5-16-2011 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
The episode last night....jesus christ.

I know! They play it up well with the weekly cliifhangers. I was hoping Lord Stark would have done in the inbreed, and the sister in the isolated castle..............? Holy wierd shit

Jason the Magnificent - 5-16-2011 at 08:01 AM

...and the Mountain that Rides...chopping that horses head off...that was hard. That dude got unhinged.

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-16-2011 at 08:27 AM

Show is getting really good now. Episodes are pretty much an hour but fly by so fast with the different story lines and now all the action.

barc0debaby - 5-16-2011 at 02:53 PM

Shit just got real.

Jason the Magnificent - 5-16-2011 at 03:06 PM

...and Tyrion with that shield!

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-16-2011 at 03:15 PM

lets not forget the kid getting breast fed in the throne room who was way to old for it

Jason the Magnificent - 5-16-2011 at 03:44 PM

and the way he snapped afterwards lol.

godabandonedme - 5-16-2011 at 04:11 PM

Yea I guess the sister went bannaners....

DaveMoral - 5-16-2011 at 05:20 PM

I finished the first book and am half way through the second all because of this series. It's great stuff.

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-16-2011 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I finished the first book and am half way through the second all because of this series. It's great stuff.

i just got the 4 book set from amazon. Can't wait to read them in a couple months once i finish up with the test i am studying for.

Jason the Magnificent - 5-16-2011 at 09:42 PM

Yeah I got the set from amazon also, in the middle of another book though so those are next.

Voodoobillyman - 5-17-2011 at 06:14 AM

Quote:
...and the Mountain that Rides...chopping that horses head off...that was hard. That dude got unhinged.

My wife was floored on that one, I thought....damn horse messed up his joust, got what it got :)

DaveMoral - 5-17-2011 at 05:16 PM

The Mountain's horse freaked because the other knight's horse was in heat.

The shit's just begun to hit the fan.

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-17-2011 at 08:39 PM

http://store.hbo.com/?pagemax=all&v=hbo_shows_game-of-throne...

You can even buy Game of Thrones merch now.

DaveMoral - 5-19-2011 at 07:42 AM

I think I want a House Stark t-shirt...

Vanilla Gorilla - 6-6-2011 at 08:01 PM

Sunday's episode was awesome, how much of a bad ass was Serio Forel fucking up 4 full armored knights with a wooden sword, sucks if he is dead he could have been a great character.

Dave - 6-7-2011 at 06:59 AM

season is going by too quick!

MikeFromInhuman - 6-8-2011 at 09:46 AM

I AM FREAKING OBSESSED WITH THIS SHOW!!!!!!

WINTER IS COMING!!!!

Reading the first book, EXACTLY the same as the tv show....EXCEPT all of the children (Starks, Lannisters, even the hot white haired princess) are WAY YOUNGER than the ages they appear on the show.

I guess you couldnt have 13 and 14 year olds banging and killing every 5 minutes! HA!

George RR Martin is a GOD!

MikeFromInhuman - 6-8-2011 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I think I want a House Stark t-shirt...

Dude!
I work at HBO now...you have to see the BAD ASS MERCH they have for GOT!

http://store.hbo.com/t-shirts/index.php?v=hbo_shows_game-of-...

DaveMoral - 6-8-2011 at 04:26 PM

CCool.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-13-2011 at 08:35 AM

Great episode....though we could have used a little more detail of the battles and shortened Tyrions ex-wifes back story, though it's needed for setup later.

Inviso-texted to not spoil for anyone who may read the books.

Not sure how much of it was budgetary and how much of it was the practicality of showing what happened (Tyrion swinging around weapons and Grey Wind tearing dudes up would have probably came off silly)

So far it's been pretty amazing...and the Sept of Baelor....shiiiiiit.

Vanilla Gorilla - 6-13-2011 at 12:26 PM

the actor playing Joffrey is doing a good job, he really makes you hate that little bastard

Jason the Magnificent - 6-13-2011 at 12:56 PM

Take a peek over at hbo.com, theres a photo of the execution and the happy look on Joffery's face is amazing. That kids hitting it out of the park.

Voodoobillyman - 6-14-2011 at 06:05 AM

I had to play catch up last night due to falling asleep on Sunday. I did not see that one coming at all! I even went back and re-watched the intro to episode 1 and that was ultra creepy. Such a good show, well plotted, well acted. Just the right amount of dialogue vs action. I am definitely going to read the books now.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-14-2011 at 08:28 AM

Yeah, into the third book now, really great reads.

Dave - 6-14-2011 at 09:22 AM

Great episode.....isn't there only one more? (which sucks)

Jason the Magnificent - 6-14-2011 at 11:18 AM

yep, one more.

DaveMoral - 6-14-2011 at 05:20 PM

I just started book 4.

Jason, keep your eyes peeled for crazy shit to go down in 3.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-14-2011 at 07:15 PM

I wiki'd the whole story so far before I starting reading the books...so I'm already spoiled. Can't wait to see it unfold though.

DaveMoral - 6-14-2011 at 07:15 PM

I'm unspoiled thankfully.

barc0debaby - 6-15-2011 at 12:34 AM

Just finished book 1, starting 2 tonight. Reading the books is a must, they give a much better idea of the timeline of the story as well as more depth to the characters.

Vanilla Gorilla - 6-19-2011 at 08:07 PM

Last episode of the season tonight, fuck its gonna be forever until the next one.

Dave - 6-20-2011 at 10:02 AM

God damn it.....the season should be longer!

mike_ - 6-20-2011 at 01:59 PM

George R. R. Martin is in my town today. My fiancee and I went to get our book signed, but waiting in a queue that's two hundred meters long and only gets bigger and bigger is not for me. Fortunately, a good friend of mine works in a publishing house which released "Game of thrones" in Poland, so I'll end up with a signed copy eventually. I know Martin was popular, but HBO took him to a totally higher level.

MikeResist - 6-20-2011 at 07:56 PM

I just watched the last two episodes. I really want to read the book, specifically so I can find out in detail if, and when Geoffrey dies. That little blonde bastard needs to bite it real quick.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-28-2011 at 06:48 AM

Book 3...damn, even being spoiled it was amazing.

The Red Viper vs The Mountain. Hard as fuck.

Book 4 now, I actually might finish before Dance with Dragons comes out.

DaveMoral - 6-28-2011 at 06:24 PM

Mike, you need to read and read and read brother!

barc0debaby - 7-1-2011 at 11:40 PM

Book 3 was crazy!

MikeFromInhuman - 7-2-2011 at 12:39 PM

I watched all of season 1, finished book 1 and now 150 pages into book 2.
Wow, I FUCKING LOVE THIS SHIT!

And working at HBO makes this even cooler :)

Season 1 dvd won't be out till like Jan/Feb 2012.

Discipline - 7-12-2011 at 01:18 PM

I downloaded the whole season and watched it over the last couple of days and it blew me away. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm going to buy the books for my Kindle today and get started on them.

Vanilla Gorilla - 7-12-2011 at 01:29 PM

Started book one on sunday all ready over halfway done. Tyrion is a great character, the Hound is even less likeable. Too bad the show didn't put in the Tower of Joy scene that would have been fucking awesome. The old Kingsguard were the real deal.

Jason the Magnificent - 7-12-2011 at 08:47 PM

Just Got Dance with Dragons from Amazon...was trying to get through a Feast for Crows before it came but I been busy...and whats the rush...book 6 will be another 6 years lol.

MikeFromInhuman - 7-16-2011 at 09:56 PM

I am a bit more than halfway through book 2, WOW! Season 2 is going to be INSANE.
I have heard that a TON of people die in book 3!

I met the man himself, NJ's own George RR Martin the other day at the HBO store and took a pic with him, it is on my facebook. Feel free to re-post it!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=2077958262...

MikeFromInhuman - 7-16-2011 at 09:57 PM

Also got the DRAGONS hardcover signed!!!

Jason the Magnificent - 7-17-2011 at 12:01 AM

Nice!

Jason the Magnificent - 7-20-2011 at 04:26 PM

Stannis, Davos, Cressen and Melisandre cast.

http://winter-is-coming.net/

MikeFromInhuman - 8-19-2011 at 07:54 PM

Ok, just finished book 3.......HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, this is a SPOILER FREE POST.

I don't even know what to say exactly, except for that if you are reading book 1 or book 2 or choosing to NOT read the books and literally watch only the tv series, your MIND WILL BE BLOWN BY WHAT GOES DOWN IN BOOK 3....some in a good way and some in a HORRIBLE way.

George RR Martin is one hell of a writer, that is certain.
He also may be a pervert and sadist, but that has only made for some great reading!

Anyway, on to book 4, which I hear is the least good of the series, but I shall see for myself.

Also - I am 100% getting a Stark Dire Wolf tattoo quite soon.

DaveMoral - 8-20-2011 at 03:55 AM

Book 3 has been my favorite so far. Book 4 has me at a dead stop. I'm not yet halfway through it, I've had almost 2 months off reading it(something I rarely do). Yeah...

Jason the Magnificent - 8-20-2011 at 09:54 PM

Book 4 picks up about halfway through...once you get well past the "who the fuck is this chapter about?" mentality...you REALLY have to dive into it. It was a struggle.

About 350 pages into 5 right now, so far 3 was glaringly the best.

Vanilla Gorilla - 8-20-2011 at 10:13 PM

starting A feast for crows tonight

DaveMoral - 8-21-2011 at 03:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
Book 4 picks up about halfway through...once you get well past the "who the fuck is this chapter about?" mentality...you REALLY have to dive into it. It was a struggle.

About 350 pages into 5 right now, so far 3 was glaringly the best.

The most interesting stuff for me at this point(I picked up book 4 again yesterday) is the stuff with the Faith. And Cersei. I have a feeling a reckoning is on its way. And the Faith is going to be a far larger player than it was in the first half of the series.

The fantastical, supernatural stuff is really starting to come out, as well as the politics of religion vs religion in the Seven Kingdoms.

barc0debaby - 8-21-2011 at 07:12 PM

4 gets a lot of shitty reviews, but its still the same high quality story telling. There is a part at the end explaining that 4 and 5 started as one book, but grew too large. So in 4 you have characters being introduced that won't start having an impact on the story line until later.

Jason the Magnificent - 8-21-2011 at 10:54 PM

The Greyjoy/Ironborn stuff was slow building but paid off in the end.

So far the worst of it has been the Martell stuff...outside of the Red Viper and Margaery those people are snoresville, the Quentyn Martell stuff in 5 is agonizing.

The one thing that's getting kind of annoying though is the "gotcha" chapter endings...I suppose it's almost necessary to pull the story along the way it's written in character perspectives...but getting to the end of the chapter and getting the "reveal" is just starting to feel redundant. I suppose storming through all the books in quick succession isn't helping that though.

DaveMoral - 8-22-2011 at 02:54 PM

I don't think reading them all back to back is the problem. I can't imagine how much more frustrated I'd be if I was someone who'd been waiting 6 years for the next book only for it to be more of the same of the one I liked the least.

Jason the Magnificent - 8-25-2011 at 03:26 PM

Balon Greyjoy cast by some grumpy ass looking dude...plus Pod, Cleftjaw, Saan and some others

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/08/patrick-malahide-cast-as...

Jason the Magnificent - 8-29-2011 at 09:12 AM

Finally finished B5. Better than 4...I'd say maybe order of favorites...3,1,2,5,4. Though Clash and Dragons would almost be tied. It almost reminded me of Clash in the way it's a slow burn buildup where lots of stuff DOES happen, but you can tell it's leading to something else...I think all hell is going to break loose in 6.

Tons of Barristan Selmy FINALLY....

I don't want to spoil anything but best quote in the whole damn book...Wyman Fucking Manderly "...the North remembers"

BDx13 - 8-30-2011 at 03:04 PM

Game of Thrones’ Creative Gurus

David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the addictive HBO fantasy drama’s head writers, discuss season two, Emmy nominations, Emilia Clarke’s snub, 'sexposition,' casting Melisandre and Gilly, and what’s to come.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/29/david-benio...

DaveMoral - 8-30-2011 at 07:29 PM

HODOR!

Jason the Magnificent - 9-14-2011 at 12:46 PM

Kind of cool news...Neil Marshall (The Descent/Dog Soldiers/Centurion/Doomsday) is signed on to direct the episode 'Blackwater', which Martin penned himself. Love his work, so it'll be interesting to see how he pulls the battle off.

Vanilla Gorilla - 9-14-2011 at 02:19 PM

started Dance with Dragons sunday night.

Blackwater scene if done right would cost as much as an actual movie, i mean just the scale of it etc would be ridicilous for the show to be able to afford. I bet its just like flash backs to certain parts and characters in the battle like Tyrion/Pod

Jason the Magnificent - 9-14-2011 at 03:20 PM

Yeah, Martin said "I still don't how the hell we can possibly afford to do half of what I put into that script, but if anyone can pull off my budget-busting battle, it's Marshall. "...so at least he wrote that episode...so whatever does get omitted/changed is something he really agrees with.

Vanilla Gorilla - 9-14-2011 at 03:55 PM

I got so bored with the Cersei chapters in AFFC so glad there won't be any in Dance. Finally more Bran, Jon, and chapters of stuff from going on across the narrow sea.

Jason the Magnificent - 9-14-2011 at 05:40 PM

Oh there's Cersei in Dance, a couple towards the end. The last 15-20% of Dance is "after" the previous 80% of Dance and all of AFFC...kind of bookends the events from both books to lead into the next one.

I agree though. I think maybe I liked the Martell stuff a little less, that carries over into Dance too w/ a different character. Dance was really good but the "north" stuff in it was off the charts good, easily the strongest part of the book. You should enjoy it.

MikeFromInhuman - 9-16-2011 at 07:58 AM

Just finished book 4, oofff I didn't like it much!

From what I am reading on here, DRAGONS is way better and I am happy about that.
Not going to dive into my DRAGONS HC though, will wait until I am done with some SMALLER books first! :)

The wait for Season 2 of the show blows, but all good things.....

DaveMoral - 9-16-2011 at 10:32 AM

I still need to finish A Feast For Crows.

Jason the Magnificent - 9-16-2011 at 11:21 AM

Push!!!!

Vanilla Gorilla - 9-16-2011 at 12:07 PM

every time i get to the last page of a chapter in Dance i always want the next one to be Bran

Jason the Magnificent - 9-16-2011 at 12:47 PM

Sadly there isn't a whole lot of Bran. More like a teaser. Wait till you hit the chapters Wyman Manderly is involved in though. Diabolical.

The Theon/Reek stuff is pretty good to. The Dany stuff is good...but just meanders too long.

Vanilla Gorilla - 9-16-2011 at 01:21 PM

Sadly there isn't a whole lot of Bran. More like a teaser. Wait till you hit the chapters Wyman Manderly is involved in though. Diabolical.

The Theon/Reek stuff is pretty good to. The Dany stuff is good...but just meanders too long.

Yeah just got into the Wyman Manderly stuff. I gotta say where it is now, i don't feel bad for Theon/Reek at all

Jason the Magnificent - 9-16-2011 at 04:27 PM

Yeah the Davos introduction chapter @ White Harbor to Wyman (even though we had tidbits in the other books)...I was like "oh great...another house to try and wrap my head around..." but the second go around through the rest of the book....he became one of my favorites.

...and yeah...I don't feel bad for Reek...but I have to say, he's a lot more interesting now. When the Ironborn stuff started out I was kind of meh...but now I really enjoy those chapters.

Vanilla Gorilla - 9-21-2011 at 01:50 PM

Yeah the Davos introduction chapter @ White Harbor to Wyman (even though we had tidbits in the other books)...I was like "oh great...another house to try and wrap my head around..." but the second go around through the rest of the book....he became one of my favorites.

...and yeah...I don't feel bad for Reek...but I have to say, he's a lot more interesting now. When the Ironborn stuff started out I was kind of meh...but now I really enjoy those chapters.

Ah stuff just kicked off between the Manderly's and Frey's my last chapter, fucking hate the Frey's, and in the Jaime chapter just makes me want to know what the "One Word" was, hope it gets explained in this book

Vanilla Gorilla - 10-2-2011 at 10:00 PM

Done with all the books of Fire and Ice now just 5 more years til the next one, where at least the story will move along a bit. The story is great but its just so many unanswered questions followed by more unanswered questions.

Gonna finish up the Tales of Dunk and Egg tales now. It was kind of cool how they tie in with it though. A Thousand Eyes and One.

Jason the Magnificent - 10-2-2011 at 11:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla  

Ah stuff just kicked off between the Manderly's and Frey's my last chapter, fucking hate the Frey's, and in the Jaime chapter just makes me want to know what the "One Word" was, hope it gets explained in this book

The north remembers!!!

DaveMoral - 10-5-2011 at 06:49 PM

A Game Of Thrones comic anyone?

http://mycomicpost.com/?p=48592

Vanilla Gorilla - 10-5-2011 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
A Game Of Thrones comic anyone?

http://mycomicpost.com/?p=48592

Why not, they have been making graphic novels of dunk and egg for a while.

Jason the Magnificent - 11-21-2011 at 01:51 PM

Screen caps from the 2 min promo on HBO last night.

http://tumblrofthrones.tumblr.com/

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-21-2011 at 11:55 PM

can't wait for next season
 Pages:  1    3  4