Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

New HBO series Game of Thrones

Pages:  1  2    4

Jason the Magnificent - 2-10-2012 at 11:40 AM

Holy shit...season 2 pics up...Balon Greyjoy...Brienne....Stannis and Melisandre!!!

stoked.
http://winteriscoming.net/2012/02/the-first-publicity-photos...

DaveMoral - 2-12-2012 at 09:29 AM

Dude, the pictures are amazing. Brienne is amazing. I need to finish reading A Tale of Two Cities and then it's on to finally reading A Dance With Dragons and giving Season 1 another watch.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-25-2012 at 07:51 AM

Killer S2 trailer.

Discipline - 2-25-2012 at 01:17 PM

I can't wait for season 2 to start.

DaveMoral - 2-25-2012 at 07:10 PM

Winter is Coming.

lifeisabitch - 2-27-2012 at 11:04 AM

Finally go to start watching this weekend...
have 2 episodes left...
very good show.
makes me want to move to the far eastern parts of Afghanistan, get some horses and start raiding villages.

DaveMoral - 2-28-2012 at 08:13 PM

Started reading Dance last night... not far enough in to say my impression yet. If we are getting more of the North, I'm happy.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-29-2012 at 06:58 AM

It's not the best book, but the Wyman Manderly payoff is a series high point.

mattybar - 2-29-2012 at 01:48 PM

still haven't seen this series but this meme thing made me laugh
(sorry in advance for the huge post!)

BDx13 - 2-29-2012 at 02:35 PM

HA! I like the "MOAR TESTICLES" ad!

Vanilla Gorilla - 2-29-2012 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
It's not the best book, but the Wyman Manderly payoff is a series high point.

The North Remembers

Can't wait for the next book when it comes out in 7 years. I may need to reread the first 2 books before season 2 starts

Jason the Magnificent - 2-29-2012 at 04:28 PM

Working on getting a North Remembers "pie" tattoo.

DaveMoral - 2-29-2012 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mattybar  
still haven't seen this series but this meme thing made me laugh
(sorry in advance for the huge post!)

Funny thing... I'm totally expecting to get a Terms of Service/Copyright Infringement notice in my email come April....

Jason the Magnificent - 3-5-2012 at 08:56 AM

Got Grey Wind?

DaveMoral - 3-5-2012 at 08:03 PM

Nice! I hope to see more of Ghost, myself. And Nymeria.

Jason the Magnificent - 3-6-2012 at 08:57 AM

Yeah we'll see how they look in motion since they went for CGI to get the bigger wolves...but that shot staring down Lannister is tough as nails.

lifeisabitch - 3-7-2012 at 07:26 PM

this is funny
http://www.supermercadoent.com/illustrations/game-of-thrones...

DaveMoral - 3-14-2012 at 12:58 PM

Blind Guardian!

Jason the Magnificent - 3-23-2012 at 10:04 PM

Jason the Magnificent - 3-30-2012 at 06:52 AM

2 Days!

Vanilla Gorilla - 3-30-2012 at 08:21 AM

2 Days!

Fuck yeah

Vanilla Gorilla - 3-30-2012 at 08:23 AM

Ha that's awesome

Jason the Magnificent - 4-23-2012 at 10:41 AM

Anyone watching??

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-23-2012 at 11:45 AM

yeah

Jason the Magnificent - 4-23-2012 at 12:28 PM

Been good so far...Bolton was adequately creepy. Only thing I really have to bitch about so far is the new Mountain...dude is big, but he just doesn't have the menace of Conan Stevens.

DaveMoral - 4-23-2012 at 02:21 PM

Wait, there's a new Mountain that Rides?

Jason the Magnificent - 4-23-2012 at 05:59 PM

Yeah he was the tall guy at Harenhall who was picking prisoners for the Tickler to interrogate. The guy from last season couldn't return because he's in the Hobbit...I think as Bolg or maybe multiple parts I forget.

In all reality until the fight with the Red Viper...he's really just a bit part in the series. Most of his stuff was off "camera" in the books...they really could have got by with anyone up until that point...the last guy was just way scary looking...the horse beheading and fight with the Hound...fuck.

DaveMoral - 4-23-2012 at 06:01 PM

Damn that sucks.

That guy was Gregor Clegane to me. He embodied him perfectly on the jousting pitch.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-23-2012 at 06:06 PM

I think they're going to have problems with some of these tangential characters...like the Greatjon...gone this season but hopefully they're able to secure the same guy again when needed like he will be at the Red Wedding...we'll see.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-23-2012 at 06:11 PM

Ah...he's Azog....maybe we'll get to see some war of dwarves and orcs action.

DaveMoral - 4-23-2012 at 07:29 PM

The LOTR wiki seems to suggest that it's possible Azog might replace the Great Goblin of the Misty Mountains in The Hobbit.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-24-2012 at 08:12 AM

Yeah, quite possible. Billy Connoly as Dain Ironfoot is also kind of a large casting for someone that just shows up as reinforcement at the Battle of Five Armies though so I'm hoping we do get some of that older stuff too in the flashback stuff they're going to insert as filler...

edit...just saw this in the lotrwiki

In Peter Jackson's upcoming film adaption of The Hobbit, Barry Humphries will be voicing the Great Goblin, an entirely computer-generated character.

Kind of conflicting reports...maybe theyre replacing Bolg at the BoFA. Not seeing anything about his casting and Conan would be and impressive sized character to be the main baddy in the battle.

DaveMoral - 4-24-2012 at 10:04 PM

I have a feeling that Dain and Azog's roles will be expanded. With 2 films based on a book that actually skips the better part of the Battle of Five Armies... well, I'm sure there will be much more to it. I'm psyched for it, and I wish we didn't have to wait until Christmas.

The up shot of it is that there's a line of LOTR Legos coming out this summer. My 6 year old just got deep into Legos, so we are going to have some fun with that... if only I can program him not to leave the damn things scattered all over the house and mix and matched randomly. The last thing we need is Gimli's head on Anakin Skywalker's body with the legs of a ninja.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-24-2012 at 10:11 PM

Lots of clamor right now about some showing of 10 minutes of the 48 fps Hobbit footage. People are stroking out about it on aicn.

lifeisabitch - 5-24-2012 at 02:51 AM

this is possible the greatest and nerdiest thing ever

http://youtu.be/oCruJzlWefE

DaveMoral - 5-24-2012 at 06:00 PM

LOL! Love it.

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-27-2012 at 12:44 PM

Battle of Blackwater is tonight's episode. I'm interested to see how they do it. If the show anything or just short flashbacks and people talking about it. As far as I can remember in all the books it's really one of the only battles that they go into a lot of detail about, other than the stuff going on at the wall. Most of the other battles are just kind of alluded too like Whispering woods. Can't wait for this episode

bombidol - 5-27-2012 at 08:27 PM

Poliver from GOT works for me in the pub!

bombidol - 5-27-2012 at 08:28 PM

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Polliver

Jason the Magnificent - 5-28-2012 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla  
Battle of Blackwater is tonight's episode. I'm interested to see how they do it. If the show anything or just short flashbacks and people talking about it. As far as I can remember in all the books it's really one of the only battles that they go into a lot of detail about, other than the stuff going on at the wall. Most of the other battles are just kind of alluded too like Whispering woods. Can't wait for this episode

They asked for a 15% budget increase this season just to handle this episode. Still haven't seen it, currently sitting in Baltimore on a delayed flight. Can't wait to get home.

MikeFromInhuman - 5-28-2012 at 01:25 PM

Last night was FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-28-2012 at 01:27 PM

yeah the Bronn character is one of the best in the books and I think they do a really good job with him in the series. and not that important but it would be cooler if halfman actually lost his nose

Jason the Magnificent - 5-28-2012 at 06:27 PM

Yeah...was a great episode. But theres no way they're setting Dinklage in a chair for 3 hrs every morning to do the nose....large scar it is.

barc0debaby - 5-29-2012 at 12:19 AM

“Any man dies with a clean sword, I’ll rape his fucking corpse!"

One of the greatest quotes of all time.

DaveMoral - 6-5-2012 at 10:48 PM

Holy shit that was a great conclusion to the season. I can't stand that I have to wait until April for the battle on the Fist of the First Men.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-6-2012 at 05:24 AM

yeah great episode overall. my only real complaint is their handling of Robb and making him a big horny baby instead of someone who did what he did out of duty and honor. makes him much more deserving of whats coming.

DaveMoral - 6-6-2012 at 07:08 AM

Mine is primarily the exclusion of the Reeds. Bran's place in all of this makes no sense, especially without the explanation for his dreams of the three-eyed crow.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-6-2012 at 08:22 AM

Yeah, I'm of the opinion the Reeds are expendable in this adaptation. I'm half curious if their casting for next season was planned or a result of fandom screaming for their inclusion.

Spoilers************************

Osha has already started to explain his green dreams due to lack of the Reeds thus far, shes already off with both boys and Hodor. Next season (or the next two seasons if book 3 is split in half or more) there really isn't much for bran to do outside of wandering the North and having his dreams explained. Since they're already deviating so much Osha could easily travel with the group...then deliver Bran to the Wall/Sam/Coldhands and not want to take Rickon past the Wall and split with him to Skagos.

Don't get me wrong, in the book, where there's hundreds of pages to spend on fleshing out the relationships between the Reeds and Bran and the possible importance of Howland at some point...I love the Reeds.

But on this show where they're derailing things constantly to add scenes with Ros and other fluff like Drogo and babies I see time and money spent on the Reeds as a useless plot device that's going to steal precious time away from the development of Tullys, Tyrells, Martells and Greyjoys.

DaveMoral - 6-6-2012 at 06:21 PM

I could almost do without Rickon entirely, honestly. Unless I've yet to get to a point in the books where he actually becomes relevant.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-6-2012 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
I could almost do without Rickon entirely, honestly. Unless I've yet to get to a point in the books where he actually becomes relevant.

Book 5.

The North remembers.

JawnDiablo - 6-6-2012 at 10:15 PM

I can't follow any of it really but I watch it with my girl when she watches it strictly for the Imp's dialogue and the gratuitous amount of beheading and tits....

all those people look the same to me.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-7-2012 at 06:55 AM

Having read the books definitely helps. They cram so much shit in it's hard to follow without the luxury of thousands of pages...I have to give my wife updates throughout the episode as to why who just did that to who and for what because who why'd them once before they why'd someone else.

I know there's huge budgetary issues, but I really wish they'd stretch this out to the typical 12-13 episode HBO format. This season was troublesome because they crammed a whole 950ish pages into one season. They're supposedly splitting book 3 into two seasons...which clocks in at around 600 pages a season then, so hopefully there's some breathing room added.

Book 3 is pretty much regarded as the high water mark in the series, so the next two seasons should be amazing. A LOT of shit goes down.

DaveMoral - 6-7-2012 at 10:39 AM

ASOS was definitely my favorite. So much shit. Heartbreaking and just truly satisfying stuff goes down.

If ASOS is going to be season 3 and 4 then they are most likely going to combine to some degree AFFC and ADWD for season 5. You can't just go off on a tangent with characters that have only just been introduced like GRRM did in A Feast For Crows, they would lose so many viewers. They could still get season 5 and 6 out of adapting those two books, but you'd have to meld them in a way that GRRM thought wouldn't work in the novel format(which I think he was wrong... A Feast For Crows was painfully boring for me to read with the total absence of all the characters I cared about).

HBO needs to throw a shit ton of money at this thing. And add a couple episodes to the seasons too.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-7-2012 at 11:46 AM

They would have to combine those two into 2-3 seasons.

1. As you said...viewership would tank.
2. Their not going to give Dinklage and others a year off
3. 3 seasons stretches out their timeline giving GRRM time to actually write the next books. I'd almost guarantee the show catches up w/ the writing eventually.

DaveMoral - 6-7-2012 at 12:40 PM

Without a doubt. There's going to end up being a hiatus at some point. GRRM drags his feet too much, and while I hope the show actually helps him get cracking on the writing... I actually suspect it's going to slow him down given how involved with the show he actually is.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-7-2012 at 12:46 PM

I saw an interview with him a couple months back where he joked about how busy he was...saying that the interview was scheduled so long ago and that he's got like a 2 year backlog of appearances.

Jason the Magnificent - 7-14-2012 at 06:08 AM

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/07/season-three-casting-annou...

Pretty satisfied, though it looks like they're saving the Martels for season 4. I'd assume that means we wont be getting the Purple Wedding til then either....so the Red may be this seasons big climax.

barc0debaby - 7-14-2012 at 10:31 PM

DaveMoral - 7-15-2012 at 11:23 AM

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/07/season-three-casting-annou...

Pretty satisfied, though it looks like they're saving the Martels for season 4. I'd assume that means we wont be getting the Purple Wedding til then either....so the Red may be this seasons big climax.

So Ferb is Jojen Reed. Awesome.

BDx13 - 11-15-2012 at 08:47 AM

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-season-3-see-promo-po...

Jason the Magnificent - 11-15-2012 at 11:26 AM

Yep, and knowing what they've filmed for this season (in a round about sense from set info on fan sites related to the book...even though this is only "half" of book 3), people are going to shit bricks by seasons end. Going to make the end of season 1 look tame.

DaveMoral - 11-15-2012 at 06:16 PM

I haven't been following production. I'm reasonably certain this season is going to finale on the RW though.

Jason the Magnificent - 11-15-2012 at 08:18 PM

Bingo.

Thought maybe tyhey'd stretch that one out to S4...but I guess PW in season 4 will make people feel better...in 2 years lol.

DaveMoral - 11-16-2012 at 03:27 PM

This one is going to really test viewers, I think.

Jason the Magnificent - 12-2-2012 at 12:11 PM

No one will confirm it, but it's been speculated that this dude is the Bastard of Bolton, he's been very tight lipped in interviews...the interviewer here almost subliminally inserts Ramsay Bolton into the first question and dude gets a shit eating grin on his face and mentions working mostly with one actor (has to be Theon).

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Iwan_Rheon_Talks_Game...

Don't know him but I can see him owning the role, just from his mannerisms in the few interviews I've seen. Assuming they're going to have to flesh out Theon's captivity since they skipped the whole Reek storyline and I doubt they're going to leave Theon off screen for a whole season completely.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-25-2013 at 06:27 PM

The fucking BLACKFISH!

DaveMoral - 1-26-2013 at 11:21 AM

Awesome. Missed him last season.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-26-2013 at 12:44 PM

How out of the park is his armor...the black scales and the black trout on the chest...

When I first saw dude that was playing him I was a little put off because he was a bit older than I had pictured...but that IS the Blackfish, I'm sold.

There's a bunch of HiRes here...Reeds, Mance (dude looks a bit portly in those furs lol), Thoros and more:

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/01/first-season-three-photos-...

BDx13 - 1-26-2013 at 05:39 PM

"missed him last season?" season 2? was he in season one? i'm just now watching both seasons and i don;t recognize him. keep in mind, i didn't read the books.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-26-2013 at 07:14 PM

He wasn't in season 1, he should have been but was omitted probably because he played a minor role and his role in book 2 could most likely be condensed and transported to season 3 (if at all) in order to not have to retain a long term actor until he was really "needed" for the story. The Reeds (Jojen and Meera) for instance got the same treatment...they were kids with Bran in Winterfell and left with him when Winterfell was sacked by Theon and crew but are just appearing now in season 3.

NO spoilers....unless you plan on reading the books.

The Blackfish is Brynden Tully...Catelyn (the Stark mom's) uncle. Hoster Tully, her father, deemed him (a younger sibling) the black goat of the family after he refused a wedding arrangement for the "betterment" of the family, he took the name Blackfish since their sigil is the trout. In a nutshell he's a badass knight who aided in Roberts Rebellion and is well respected by everyone including Jaime Lannister. He first showed up in the books (at the Vale...he was an extremely high ranking knight, where Catelyns weird ass breast feeding sister lives) in book 1. He leaves the Vale after the sister refuses to send help to Robbs war effort and accompanied Catelyn around and eventually becomes crucial to a lot of his victories to this point. I'll leave the rest for the show, but that catches you up to this point.

He's a "fan favorite" in the books and there was a lot of paranoia he was going to be omitted from the show entirely...since the story is not done and we don't know where things end...with so many characters, you never know who might get chopped because they're not crucial to the final narrative.

DaveMoral - 1-26-2013 at 10:38 PM

Nailed it, Jason.

I loved the Blackfish in the books. And I was pissed that the Reeds were left out last season, I'm wondering where they'll come in now because the entire set up for their companionship with Bran was in Clash and would have been last season if they weren't nixed.

MikeFromInhuman - 1-30-2013 at 02:43 PM

FYI - season 3 is not a 2 parter, it is all of book 3 in one 10 episode season...somehow.
Looks like some stuff will be left out.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-30-2013 at 07:19 PM

Do you have a source?

I don't think that can possibly be true. I follow several book/show related sites and have never seen mention of this anywhere prior to your post.

There's no way they're going to cram in the Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, the other wedding (that alone would all be overkill) plus all the other misc stuff I don't want to spoil in one season (not to mention what that would do to the cast for season 4).

Also, if they could cram Storm in one book...they sure as hell could cram Feast and Dance in single seasons...that means in three years (spring '15) the show is caught up with the books. We'll be lucky if Martin gets Winds of Winter out by then... never mind a Dream of Spring.

I don't think the season is technically a "two parter" but they can easily bring in elements of Feast into season 4 to fatten up the remaining season 3 stroylines and season 5 can just as easily be a hodge podge of Feast and Dance...that gives them 3-4 seasons before they're caught up with Martin at least, and by then he has to have at least one new book out.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-30-2013 at 07:29 PM

http://hbowatch.com/george-r-r-martin-confirms-game-of-thron...

http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-season-3-4-5-details-aco-...

MikeFromInhuman - 1-30-2013 at 09:52 PM

"Do you have a source?"

I work at HBO.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-30-2013 at 10:47 PM

and have new high level information that debunks what the novel writer and show creators have already admitted to in print?

I'm not saying you're fabricating anything, but "because I said so" isn't a source...it's just water cooler gossip. People at my work say all kinds of shit, most of it isn't based anywhere near anything in reality. Nor do the truck drivers or shop labor have any idea what high level management have planned for their projects.

So I'm legitimately curious, where is this coming from (not looking for names to be named) and have they admitted how they're going to stay ahead of the author if they're rushing through the story faster than him? Because you're breaking first time news anywhere here.

MikeFromInhuman - 1-31-2013 at 08:59 PM

I guess we will see once the show starts.

BDx13 - 2-2-2013 at 01:32 AM

i love the passion!

i've really enjoyed the shows. we just watched both seasons over the course of a couple weeks. didn't time it this way intentionally, but i'm glad we just just finished last week and season 3 is starting soon. also glad i have cable at the moment.

is the book series still ongoing? I may pick one up ti check it out some time.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-2-2013 at 10:26 AM

Yes, it's still ongoing. He has 5 books written in a supposedly 7 book series (at one point it was 3 books, then 6 books and the story keeps getting bigger so it went to 7).

The author is NOTORIOUSLY slow in writing these...Dance with Dragons the 5th books was delayed almost 2 years I think...it came out last summer and he was releasing sample chapters from it all the way back in 2006.

Optimistically book 6 might come out in 2015 knowing his track record. That's where the disbelief in Mikes story comes from, especially when the creators of the show have already said otherwise in print.

2013 - Season 3 - Book 3
2014 - Season 4 - Book 4
2015 - Season 5 - Book 5
2016 - Season 6 - Book 6 (if the book was to actually make it out in 2015...they would have to start show production 3 days after the book was released)
2017 - Season 7 - Book 7 (if book 7 followed the 3-5 year path...they would have to take a 3-5 year break in the show to wait for him to write the book? )

The producer also stated somewhere recently that they were no longer following the "book a season" format and they were going to stage the seasons as req'd to follow the larger narrative.

Books 4 and 5 were actually intended to be one book at one point but it was to monstrous so it got split. So it happened during the same time period, but book 4 is one half of the world and book 5 is the other half.

So splitting book 3 buys them a year (not to mention it's physically impossible to cram most of these story arcs into one season and not totally fuck the rest of the series). Making the combined books 4 and 5 stories into two seasons...possibly even 3, buys them another two.

The creators of the show know how the story ends, the author is no spring chicken and they had to have a game plan in case he passes before it's done...but they're never going to be able to get ahead of the books when he's alive.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-2-2013 at 10:48 AM

Here's the quote I was looking for, thanks to the wonders of Google...

Here’s what executive producer D. B. Weiss had to say about how they’re going to handle Game of Thrones season 3, 4 and beyond:
Well… “A Storm of Swords” is too long to fit in a single season. And as readers know, “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons” takes place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus.

Continuing, executive producer David Benioff goes on to explain their approach to adapting George R. R. Martin’s fantasy series to television, and how keep a book per season isn’t important.

We’re not looking at our series as a book-by-book adaptation so much as an adaptation of George’s entire saga. In other words, in our minds season two is not “A Clash of Kings.” It is the second season of our adaptation of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

MikeFromInhuman - 2-2-2013 at 03:22 PM

I do know for a fact that "The Red Wedding" IS happening on the GOT show this year.
"The Red Wedding" is towards the end of the 3rd book...

Jason the Magnificent - 2-2-2013 at 04:03 PM

Yeah, the Red Wedding is happening this season, they've been pretty public about that.

That doesn't mean that they're going to cram the remainder of the storylines in prior though. Obviously that's a huge climactic event (the show producers have said that scene is one of the main reasons they wanted to do this series)...that would mean there's 3 weddings, Snows return, a certain other HUGE event at the wall, Tyrions daddy issues and more happening in the last 3-4 episodes?...I don't even know how they could build up to all that in the first 6 or so episodes without our heads exploding. Not to mention things with the Stark kids, Boltons, Dany etc. There's a LOT of shit they can leave out from Storm...but not any of that stuff. Some of the stuff is hard to keep up with in the books...a casual show goer will have no idea what the hell is going on.

They haven't introduced anyone from Dorne yet, and they're not cast for this season, so that would completely jack the events after the Purple Wedding. They play a heavier part later in the books so I don't think they're eliminated entirely, even if they dont have the Viper and the Mountain...which would be a huge mis-step. That's one of the most beloved fights in the entire series.

They can easily push the PW, the Dornish and the events surrounding it into season 4 as well as the "event" at the wall and all the RW aftermath and Ironborn events.

There's no reason any of those need to happen prior to the RW. Plus adding those new cast members won't seem as bloated after the house cleaning at the RW. Then they don't completely blow their load in season three...you spread all that amazing material over two seasons and make people hungry for season 5.

DaveMoral - 2-2-2013 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman  
I do know for a fact that "The Red Wedding" IS happening on the GOT show this year.

The Red Wedding is half way through Book 3.

MikeFromInhuman - 2-2-2013 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Quote: Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman  

The Red Wedding is half way through Book 3.

I stand somewhat corrected as it is the mid/3rd qtr mark, I just looked :)

You guys are NUTS.
Ha.

barc0debaby - 2-3-2013 at 01:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  

is the book series still ongoing? I may pick one up ti check it out some time.

George R.R. Martin is morbidly obese and a New York Jets fan, two factors which make him a must have for anyone playing a celebrity death pool.

That being said the books are definitely worth checking out and the more people miserably awaiting for the release of Winds of Winter the better I feel. If audiobooks are your thing I would highly recommend them. They are narrated by all around bad motherfucker Roy Dotrice, who does something like 500 characters over the 5 book series. Even if audiobooks aren't your thing it's still worth checking out, Dotrice is that bad ass. His credentials include lying about his age to join the Royal Air Force at 16, spending three years in a German POW camp after getting shot out of the sky, holding a Guinness world record for most solo stage performances, being part of the Royal Shakespeare Company, winning a Tony, and convincingly doing 500 characters in one of the greatest fantasy saga's of all time.

Also unless you dive into a vault of gold like Scrooge McDuck the audibooks, which are a staggering $40-50 a piece for download, are best found liberated from the internet. They are all up on various torrent sites in their entirety and quality is top notch. Buy the books and merch so people still get paid, but fuck paying $250 for an audiobook series.

BDx13 - 2-4-2013 at 04:29 PM

jesus christmas, how long are these books??

my library does audiobook rentals, maybe I'll check that out.

DaveMoral - 2-4-2013 at 04:34 PM

They are fucking long. And keep getting longer.

lifeisabitch - 2-4-2013 at 10:20 PM

we got the audio books
the first one us 75 or so chapter and are a bit over an hour each...
but yeah they are awesome

Jason the Magnificent - 2-6-2013 at 02:01 PM

EXCLUSIVE: George R.R. Martin, on whose fantasy book series HBO‘s hit drama Game Of Thrones is based, has signed a two-year overall deal with the pay cable network. Under the pact, Martin will continue as co-executive producer on Game Of Thrones, whose Season 3 premieres March 31. Additionally, he will develop and produce new series projects for the network. Attached to Martin’s upcoming HBO development is his long-time representative, manager Vince Gerardis. In addition to co-executive producing Game Of Thrones, Martin has written multiple episodes of the fantasy series. His TV writing credits also include The Twilight Zone and the original Beauty And The Beast. He is with WME.

Good luck on this dude getting any book writing done at all now...takes him 5 years as it is. I have this strange feeling we'll be seeing the end of the story playing out on TV before we read it in a book.

Discipline - 2-7-2013 at 12:57 PM

Just curious, has anybody read any of his other books? I was wondering if they're worth checking out.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-20-2013 at 09:03 AM

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/02/mgot-how-season-three-wrap...

Looks like that's that's the Battle at the Fist, if they are including that, it's yet another indication that all of book 3 is not in this season, no way they're doing that and the other northern skirmish, 2/3 of the season would have to revolve around the watch.

BDx13 - 2-20-2013 at 08:36 PM

i just like telling my wife, "winter is coming." doesn't matter what it's in reference to.

DaveMoral - 2-20-2013 at 09:33 PM

Me too. I wish the merch wasn't so damned expensive. I'd have Winter Is Coming everything.

lifeisabitch - 2-20-2013 at 11:18 PM

smartess has some GOT merch ideas I guess I need to get them up before next month

Jason the Magnificent - 2-20-2013 at 11:25 PM

I bought a Greyjoy ringer off HBO.com yesterday with my 20% coupon from the S2 Blue-ray

Discipline - 2-20-2013 at 11:49 PM

Do the dvd's have much in the way of special features?

lifeisabitch - 2-21-2013 at 12:17 AM

Jason the Magnificent - 2-21-2013 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Do the dvd's have much in the way of special features?

not sure on the dvd's but the br has a ton of extra stuff:

lu-ray Exclusives

War of the Five Kings: Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide. Follow the movements of various armies and learn all about their victories and defeats.

Histories & Lore: 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.

In-Episode Guide: An in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.

Other Special Features

Audio Commentaries: 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.

Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay: See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30-minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.

Game of Thrones: Inner Circle: Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

The Religions of Westeros: Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.

Character Profiles: Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.

Discipline - 2-21-2013 at 12:22 PM

Might have to invest in the blu rays. The special features sound quite enticing.

That raven shirt is awesome.

lifeisabitch - 2-21-2013 at 12:49 PM

thanks man I might put them up in the store later tonight
we need to find a better shipping option to Canada
the us post is charging 20.00 for priority mail now
maybe I'll send it by raven

Pages:  1  2    4