Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Pandora

XHonusWagnerX - 4-21-2011 at 12:18 PM

I've had the Pandora app on my phone for a long time and known other people that used it on phones or computers, but never tried it.

I wanted to listen to the Dead Kennedys and was shocked that I had NO Dead Kennedys on my iPod! So I opened up the Pandora app and now I'm listening to Dead Kennedys Radio. Its been a bunch of DK, plus Husker Du, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Subhumans, Black Flag & the Misfits.

Not bad for free!!

XnMeX - 4-21-2011 at 12:35 PM

I have the app for my android and listen to it about 90% of the time in my car. I don't have to think about what to listen to.

gavin - 4-21-2011 at 12:37 PM

circle jerks radio
cock sparrer radio
the cure radio
james brown radio
curtis mayfield radio

all good
the only issue i have found is that many of the songs tend to start repeating if you listen to the same station like 2 days in a row

gavin - 4-21-2011 at 12:40 PM

small faces radio
the troggs radio are also good

i have also found that you have to use a band that is a bit of a smaller level, like the troggs instead of say the rolling stones or the who....the big bands leave WAY too much room for bad interpretation and leads into bad classic rock radio

Colin - 4-21-2011 at 01:40 PM

we use Pandora at my new job....I had to turn off homeboy's Dave Matthews radio the past two days for The Seeds, The Specials, James Brown, Lee Scratch Perry, & Hank III radio. My boss seemed afraid I would just put on punk rock....

XnMeX - 4-21-2011 at 02:20 PM

I have never used the "stations" that they have on it. I just kept adding artists to my own titled "Hardcore Mix" and "Random Ish" which has an od mix of rap, rock, metal, punk, and other randomness. Keeps it interesting. Also, the key is to :thumbdown: the ones you hate since if you :thumbdown: 2 songs from a particular artist it will never play one of their songs again. (Example: Disturbed). :ticking:

XHonusWagnerX - 4-21-2011 at 03:29 PM

I didnt even know there were stations. I thought you just typed an artist you wanted to hear and it played them and some people they think sound like them. What are the "preset" stations?

clevohardcore - 4-21-2011 at 03:58 PM

I got PANDORA on my macbook and use it sometimes. I like it. When I get a iphone I will defintely use PANDORA more.

ShawnRefuse - 4-21-2011 at 06:56 PM

I use it a little. mostly dead kennedys or social d stations

MikeResist - 4-21-2011 at 07:06 PM

I've been listenign to Husker Du sooooo much. They are fan fucking tastic

CR83 - 4-21-2011 at 09:08 PM

Psychedelic Furs Radio
Hoods Radio
A Flock of Seagulls Radio
Enya Radio - I put this on for the Mrs when we are chilling
Uniform Choice Radio- BD was the inspiration

JawnDiablo - 4-21-2011 at 09:21 PM

I do Pandora.
I like it.

morgan - 4-21-2011 at 10:48 PM

I listen to pandora at work pretty often.

necrobutcher - 4-22-2011 at 12:51 AM

Some days Pandora works great for me. If I here Biohazard, I know Sheer Terror, Carnivore and Hard Response are on the way as well. On the down side, Pandora insists that since I started a channel for Madball that I would like weird European folk metal as well. Still figuring out how that one works.

Six66Mike - 4-22-2011 at 05:23 AM

Damn Americans. It's blocked like everywhere else due to the licensing limits enforced by the labels. Used to be open globally but the RIAA put an end to that. Heaven forbid other people get to explore music.

BDx13 - 4-22-2011 at 09:10 AM

ok so EVERYONE on this board is more hip to this tech than me.
need to get on it, apparently.

tireironsaint - 4-22-2011 at 10:22 AM

Pandora's alright, but it always seems fairly limited and plays the same handful of songs by a handful of artists and never shows me anything I'm not already familiar with. I prefer last.fm because I can put on bands I consider fairly obscure and it plays tons of different songs from a huge list of bands and almost always impresses me by playing great bands I've never even heard of that are in line with whatever band I start the station based on. I just set up a system to play last.fm at work so we're listening to it a lot up there now.

Discipline - 4-22-2011 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
ok so EVERYONE on this board is more hip to this tech than me.
need to get on it, apparently.

Don't feel bad, I've never heard of it.

ChadBeantown - 4-22-2011 at 03:07 PM

Pandora is cool. I listen to Gang Green Radio and Darkbuster Radio a lot. I listen to last.fm as well. I go on the Beantown Boozehounds station to see what bands thay play so I can get an idea of who people compair us to.

ShawnRefuse - 4-22-2011 at 03:28 PM

you have a station? guess we signed to the wrong side of thorp/sg

:)

ChadBeantown - 4-22-2011 at 04:19 PM

I just went on and put in Refuse Resist and it came back with: Sepultura, Hatebreed and Apocalyptica. I am not sure how a band gets a station set up for them.

ChadBeantown - 4-22-2011 at 04:27 PM

When I go on Beantown Boozehounds Radio and look at the profile, it says we have :
Listeners: 226
Total Scrobbles: 4764

Does anyone know what that means?

XHonusWagnerX - 4-22-2011 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChadBeantown
When I go on Beantown Boozehounds Radio and look at the profile, it says we have :
Listeners: 226
Total Scrobbles: 4764

Does anyone know what that means?

whats a Scrobble?

Voodoobillyman - 4-22-2011 at 06:34 PM

I.................am..................clueless to all of this? I thought I was hi-tech with my iPOD

tireironsaint - 4-22-2011 at 11:54 PM

Scrobbling is how last.fm keeps tabs on what it's listeners play on their own devices. Fer instance, if I use my ipod all week long in the car and at work and whatnot and then plug it into my computer to update it, last.fm has a system that sends the list of all the bands and songs I played back to their main set up. I don't mean the stuff I've listened to on last.fm, just the stuff I've played from my own collection. It keeps track of things like that in order to provide the listener with stuff more in line with their actual preferences. Of course, allowing them to track that stuff is optional, but it does a really good job of helping fine tune the things they play for you.

Colin - 4-24-2011 at 11:17 AM

^that's pretty cool...I gotta check that out. Pandora definitely has it's down side. I haven't been able to trust it with punk or HC, my roommate said he was playing Duane Peters radio the other day & the second song that played was Blink 182 of all horrible things....that was why I couldn't listen to Fungus on XM....too much lame shit amidst some good stuff

DaveMoral - 4-24-2011 at 12:35 PM

We use Pandora on our Blu-Ray player and my wife uses it at work. For me it's been more worthwhile to put in something like the Pietasters or Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings then to put in something like Terror, in which I'll get either a bunch of stuff I already have and could just as easily listen to it on my iPod or just similar but less good crap that I have no interest in at all.

For me, putting in ska, reggae, soul and what not is more of an experience of discovery.

Colin - 4-24-2011 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
We use Pandora on our Blu-Ray player and my wife uses it at work. For me it's been more worthwhile to put in something like the Pietasters or Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings then to put in something like Terror, in which I'll get either a bunch of stuff I already have and could just as easily listen to it on my iPod or just similar but less good crap that I have no interest in at all.

For me, putting in ska, reggae, soul and what not is more of an experience of discovery.
I've been digging Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings....I've definitely been using it more for reggae as well. This kid at work puts on Soja radio, which plays some reggae stuff I'm not into, but I change it to Lee Perry radio & I'm pretty sure he's clueless