Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

iPad question

Jason the Magnificent - 6-10-2011 at 08:19 AM

I have been traveling more and more for work lately and want something to play with/check email/keep notes/schedules etc.

It would be nice if the company would provide me w/ a laptop but then I'd need something that ran autocad and had all the other office stuff on it.

I don't know that I'd need a 3G one, 90% of the time I'm at a hotel or airport or jobsite when I'd be using it so I'd be hard pressed to find a time when I'd REALLY need the 3G.

I know some of you have been on these for a while now...any recommendations?

For movies/music does it just carry itunes?

Is there any library syncing going on? Or is it another stand alone version of itunes?

Any good place to buy one?

What about size...if I have a iPod 120...I don't need a ton of storage for music, but would the 16 b ok to throw a movie or two on and still have space for daily use stuff/apps/photos etc?

lifeisabitch - 6-10-2011 at 09:58 AM

I haven't used one that much, my girlfriend has one...
but if you want to use it for work you can get a go to my pc app for it
log into your work desktop and run all of your programs as if you were at your desktop.
it takes a little getting used to but it works well for doing off site emails and quotes and some art for me.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-10-2011 at 10:09 AM

I have one and use it for web-browsing, email, games & making music. There are some amazing apps out there!

For size, I went bigger than I thought I would need to and I got the 32gb. If you know you dont want the 3G (which costs an extra $130) then I would get the 32gb (an extra $100) just to be safe. I dont have any movies on mine, but I know video files can be big.

I should look into that goto my PC thing too!

Jason the Magnificent - 6-10-2011 at 11:41 AM

Yeah the goto PC thing would be nice. They have some VPN connection here @ work where people can get on their desk PC's via laptop...I'd guess it's similar.

I'd be doing minimal "work" stuff on it. If I'm buying it, it's for me, not them...but checking in on outlook emails or being able to view an autocad drawing remotely to make my life easier would be nice.

I'm usually out @ nuke plants w/ multiple people (who have laptops through the company) and dont need access in the plants but not having to go down to the hotel business center at night to check email and having something to fiddle with in airports/keep me organized would be nice.

Honus...that's kind of what I was thinking size wise.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-10-2011 at 11:51 AM

I bought the 3G one and I'm sorry that I spent the extra money on it because I havent even signed up for a plan with it yet. So if you dont think you need it then I wouldnt get it (which is what you already said!)

I cant recomend the Garage Band app enough though. Its SO fun and easy to make songs even if you dont know how to plan an instrument at all!

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 6-10-2011 at 12:03 PM

I use one for pleasure and work. I make websites so I have to test everything I do on one since they're so popular. I have a 16gb wifi. I've never run out of space. You can download movies from itunes easily but on hotel wifi that's going to take fuckin forever. I've tried many times. For movies and TV shows I'd recommend HBO Go and Netflix. I always find something to watch on there when I'm traveling. If you have Comcast, you can watch any programming they have on the iPad as well.

I just looked and there are a few Autocad apps for the Ipad available. I don't know shit about that stuff so I'm not sure how useful they'd be to you.

Overall, I can't use mine for work totally because it can't run Photoshop or Illustrator and writing code on it isn't that great. But for email, calendar, web browsing, checking on my bank accounts...business-y stuff like that, it's great. And for entertainment like a movie or NBA Jam or reading a book or magazine, I don't think you can beat it.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-10-2011 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Overall, I can't use mine for work totally because it can't run Photoshop or Illustrator

what if you had one of those 'Go To My PC' type things, could it run photoshop then?

Jason the Magnificent - 6-10-2011 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for the input all. Now I just need money lol.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-10-2011 at 12:23 PM

I just looked at the autocad WS app...that actually would serve my purposes completely, even as crude as it is. Nice to check drawings/dimensions etc on the fly.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 6-10-2011 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

what if you had one of those 'Go To My PC' type things, could it run photoshop then?

Yeah it works that way but it's slow and the interface is too small to get anything done. I have a Macbook Air I travel with to get work done. I'm sure a couple years from now I'll be able to do everything with an iPad.

Jason...you can buy previous generation refurbs here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=OTY2ODY4NQ

BDx13 - 6-10-2011 at 12:36 PM

i think shawn refuse said he has one he doesn't use. 1st generation. might be able to go used cheap.