Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Maximum R&R

Discipline - 6-17-2011 at 03:24 PM

This magazine never fails to amaze me. Every once in a while I pick up an issue and go straight to the reviews section. I've been into punk/hardcore for 20+ years, yet I've never heard of 98% of the bands they review releases from, nor have I heard of the bands they compare them to. In the current issue, I think there were only 3 bands that I knew. How is this possible?

On a side note, when they do review a band/album I like they usually hate it. Not far enough to the left I guess.

panzerkreuzer - 6-17-2011 at 05:13 PM

i have a subscription of mrr for years. i enjoy reading a lot. and, i know a lot of the bands they review.:)
the worst thing happened to mrr was the death of bruce roehrs! rip.

Colin - 6-17-2011 at 05:54 PM

I believe they called me a "racist prick" once in the letters column.....I still have the issue somewhere

Spoiler - 6-17-2011 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by panzerkreuzer  

the worst thing happened to mrr was the death of bruce roehrs! rip.

Agreed.
I gave away about 100 old issues of MRR a couple of years ago.I really never cared for the zine,I would just read a few articles and thats about it.I'm not sure why I kept buying them years ago.I haven't read one in a looong time.

dirtysteve - 6-17-2011 at 09:19 PM

zine has sucked since the late 80s. when they refused to review what did not fit their standard of "punk rock" in the early 90s that was a laugh too. i read it for the same reason as anyone else until 1996 or so, "because of the ads."

MikeResist - 6-18-2011 at 05:27 AM

They review our first album Mind Yourself and called us Pop Punk. Or something along the lines of that. :)