Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

New Misfits record

BDx13 - 8-17-2011 at 02:53 PM

Punk icons the Misfits return with their long-awaited, first full-length release of all-new, original material in nearly a decade. Rooted in the horror and sci-fi themes their audience craves, The Devil's Rain will be released October 4th on Misfits Records. It was produced by Ed Stasium, whose credits include the Ramones' Road to Ruin and Too Tough to Die, as well as the Misfits' 1999 release Famous Monsters.

The Devil's Rain showcases a jaw-dropping, two-panel front/back cover painting featuring the rebirth of the band's iconic "Fiend" mascot in an epic setting rendered by Arthur Suydam (known for his immensely popular work on the Marvel Zombies series, among others). The band's current lineup – consisting of founding member Jerry Only on vocals/bass, Black Flag alum Dez Cadena, and drummer Eric "Chupacabra" Arce – will kick off an extensive US tour in September.

In 1977, at the dawn of the punk movement the Misfits set out to make an impression, and created a legacy that has truly withstood the test of time. Immortalizing black and white B horror films in their music, the Misfits developed a ghoulish and totally unique persona of their own that's consistently evolved over the years, while remaining true to its roots. The band's iconic "Fiend Skull" logo has become a staple in pop culture, and an instantly recognizable symbol worldwide.

Bands across the spectrum of rock have covered their material, including Metallica, Guns 'n' Roses, My Chemical Romance and countless others citing the 'Fits as a key influence. Boasting a massive catalog of music old and new, the Misfits are generating more interest today than ever before. With new releases charting higher than all priors, and constant touring around the globe, their diverse demographic and legion of "fiends" (as their fans are affectionately known), multiplies daily.

For both fans of their classics and newcomers discovering the band for the very first time, The Devil's Rain embodies the ferocity and melody that have made the Misfits omnipresent and immortal. One thing is certain, The Misfits are here to stay and every day is Halloween.

Jason the Magnificent - 8-17-2011 at 03:09 PM

Gonna go out on a limb and predict a stinker....nah, guarantee it.

BDx13 - 8-17-2011 at 03:15 PM

when i saw the headline, i actually said "oh, come on" out loud...to the no one in my office. just really doesn't seem like a good idea.

Jason the Magnificent - 8-17-2011 at 04:07 PM

On the plus side, it can't be any worse than Famous Monsters or that stupid 50's album.

BKT - 8-17-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
On the plus side, it can't be any worse than Famous Monsters or that stupid 50's album.

Famous Monsters was pretty good I though. 50's album was terrible and I am sure this will be the worst thing they have ever released.

BKT.

XHonusWagnerX - 8-17-2011 at 04:23 PM

The "Land of the Dead" 12" single was worse than Famous Monster or Project 1950. JERRY CAN NOT SING! Even if Danzig never goes back (or reforms his own version) Jerry should find a new singer and just shut up and play bass!

Discipline - 8-17-2011 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BKT  
Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

Famous Monsters was pretty good I though. 50's album was terrible and I am sure this will be the worst thing they have ever released.

BKT.

Agreed.

Mark Lind - 8-17-2011 at 05:07 PM

I hope Jerry includes his rendition of the song from The Wizard of Oz. He sounds so good on it on YouTube.

morgan - 8-17-2011 at 06:21 PM

Not going to even bother checking this out.

JawnDiablo - 8-17-2011 at 08:19 PM

I do not and will not recognize said musicians as being the Misfits.
I have a friend who does a stupid Misfits cover band and I will give him more props than this douchery.
the last Misfits record was Earth AD.
believe it

tireironsaint - 8-17-2011 at 08:29 PM

This was recorded here in this tiny, nowheresville town I live in now for who knows what fucking reason and I guarantee it'll be pure shit. Not that the bizarre choice of location for recording has anything to do with that, just because there hasn't been a single release from these hacks that's worth a shit since Danzig split. I would agree with Honus' statement about finding somebody else to sing if it weren't for the fact that every time they tried that it was fucking awful as well. Hang it up and let the real Misfits legacy rest in peace.

XHonusWagnerX - 8-17-2011 at 08:51 PM

The Misfits would be just as great if they only put out the stuff on Collection I and the Walk Among Us LP.

Discipline - 8-17-2011 at 08:59 PM

It took me some time, but a friend played the albums with Graves so many times that they grew on me and I like them. It's not the Misfits, but I like them. As for the new album, Jerry's vocals are horrifically bad, and I can't believe people still go to see them put on their shitty live show. I assume the album will just continue the shitty releases under the Misfit's banner.

clevohardcore - 8-18-2011 at 01:46 AM

Danzig needs to sing for them for this to be relevant.

JawnDiablo - 8-18-2011 at 06:08 AM

I'd go see them just to throw a tomato at Doyle

XHonusWagnerX - 8-18-2011 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MQ74  
I'd go see them just to throw a tomato at Doyle

Doyle doenst play anymore, its just Dez, but Doyle is one of my favorite guitar players!!

XnMeX - 8-18-2011 at 09:51 AM

I may get hate for this but my 2 favorite Misfits albums are Walk Among Us and American Psycho. I don't think of them as the same group really, but those are my 2 favorites and to get "hate" even more, I consider them to be a tie. Go ahead, I can take it! :P

XHonusWagnerX - 8-18-2011 at 10:13 AM

american psycho is a really good record and I consider it the same way. The Misfits (with Danzig singing) is a classic punk band. The Misfits (with Michael Graves singing) was a monster based punk influenced Gwar type band. With all the make up and the even more over the top costumes that what it seems like to me.

The Misfits (with Jerry singing) just shouldnt exist at all and the new drummer (that replaced Robo) looks like a tool!!

BKT - 8-18-2011 at 10:14 AM

I saw them play on the American Physco tour and they were amazing. Probably one of the best shows I have ever seen. I like everything they did up until Famous Monsters, after that album they lost me for good.

BKT.

Colin - 8-18-2011 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tireironsaint  
This was recorded here in this tiny, nowheresville town I live in
Ed Stasium (who recorded Ramones at one point) did it in Bayfield,CO ( a even shittier town right outside). I guess Dez from Black Flag has been playing with 'em for a little bit. Jesus Christ, these guys need to stop putting out records. I probably wouldn't listen to them, but I wouldn't hate on 'em if it was a new band, but they've been trying to rip off an old name for what now, at least 15 years....

XHonusWagnerX - 8-18-2011 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Blackout Colin  
but they've been trying to rip off an old name for what now, at least 15 years....

hahah... good point! At this point the Misfits without Danzig has been around longer then the Misifts with Danzig!

Discipline - 8-18-2011 at 02:21 PM

Even Zoli from Ignite, a band I hate, was better fronting the band than Jerry.

clevohardcore - 8-18-2011 at 08:01 PM

IGNITE RULE.

necrobutcher - 8-18-2011 at 10:25 PM

Goddamnit.

tireironsaint - 8-20-2011 at 12:15 AM

Ed Stasium (who recorded Ramones at one point) did it in Bayfield,CO ( a even shittier town right outside). I guess Dez from Black Flag has been playing with 'em for a little bit. Jesus Christ, these guys need to stop putting out records. I probably wouldn't listen to them, but I wouldn't hate on 'em if it was a new band, but they've been trying to rip off an old name for what now, at least 15 years....
Was it Bayfield? Alls I know is right after I quit working at Nature's everybody I still knew over there kept telling me how the guys using the Misfits name kept coming in every day and handing out merch.

Mark Lind - 8-20-2011 at 11:58 AM

I saw them on their "comeback" tour in 1996 at the Middle East in Cambridge. They didn't have any new songs except for "Black Light" so all they played were the Danzig songs. It was pretty awesome. The Middle East holds 550 people. I would guess there were 900 people in there that night. I watched the show standing on the bar. There were so many people in there that no one was even bothering trying to get drinks because they couldn't move. The bartenders and security didn't even try to stop us all from using the bar as bleachers.

Next time they came around was to Avalon a few months later. That place held 1200 at the time and they had Cannibal Corpse, Life of Agony and Anthrax opening for them. That was another great show. It was all downhill from there.

Colin - 8-20-2011 at 12:02 PM

Was it Bayfield? Alls I know is right after I quit working at Nature's everybody I still knew over there kept telling me how the guys using the Misfits name kept coming in every day and handing out merch.
yep. A buncha people I know met Jerry Only, I guess he was at the Billygoat Saloon with Dez handing out autographed posters at one point, & a girl I know who works at Nature's BBQed with them & gave one of my old roommates an autograph. Strange they would record in a completely bumfuck little town, but OK.

Mark Lind - 8-20-2011 at 01:55 PM

First time I played with "The Misfits" Jerry showed up before soundcheck with his hair in a ponytail, sweat pants, a gym shirt, a fanny pack and high top sneakers. He was bossing everyone around so I assumed he was the head roadie or something. Then he gets in costume and combs his ponytail forward to a devil lock.

JawnDiablo - 8-20-2011 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mark Lind  
First time I played with "The Misfits" Jerry showed up before soundcheck with his hair in a ponytail, sweat pants, a gym shirt, a fanny pack and high top sneakers. He was bossing everyone around so I assumed he was the head roadie or something. Then he gets in costume and combs his ponytail forward to a devil lock.

man i just got an excellent mental picture just now...thank you haha:D

XHonusWagnerX - 8-20-2011 at 08:06 PM

I saw that show with Anthrax at Avalon and they were awesome!!
I loved that they turned into 'monsters' and were larger than life almost in a Kiss way, but now they suck!

Mark Lind - 8-21-2011 at 01:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX  
I saw that show with Anthrax at Avalon and they were awesome!!
I loved that they turned into 'monsters' and were larger than life almost in a Kiss way, but now they suck!

Now they've really turned into musical monsters.

XnMeX - 8-22-2011 at 10:42 AM

He sure loves his fanny pack. He was rockin one while doing autographs at Rock N Shock a few years back.