Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

web-based photoshop

BDx13 - 9-20-2011 at 08:43 PM

this is blowing my mind:
http://pixlr.com/editor/

Six66Mike - 9-20-2011 at 09:02 PM

Wicked it's not blocked yet. Now I can do fun shit.

BDx13 - 9-20-2011 at 11:09 PM

well, it's not PHOTOSHOP specifically...
it just works very, very similarly.
they were acquired by autodesk, so i think they're ok.

i used it for a few small things today. not bad at all.

there are other options, like the awkwardly names, gimp:
http://www.gimp.org/

jonnynewbreed - 9-21-2011 at 07:08 AM

I'm glad that this thread started because I am a total idiot when it comes to photoshop or any design programs.

Is there such a program that allows drag and drop images (like iweb for mac does)?

I just need something simple to create web banners, simple adverts etc.

XnMeX - 9-21-2011 at 07:19 AM

I was using Pixlr at work for a bit about 6 months ago because they ask me to do small design jobs here and there but I don't have Photoshop at work. Works VERY well but a little slow with larger images / multiple layer / etc since it is web based. I then downloaded Gimp about 3 months ago and have been using that ever since. All the basic features of Photoshop but missing a lot of the cool bells and whistles that Photoshop has. VERY useful! I have used it for a full page newspaper ad for work and the ad came out perfect so I can't complain, expecially since it is free.

Great job posting about thos BD, more people should know of these great (and FREE) options.

BDx13 - 9-21-2011 at 08:45 AM

my primary machine - an older power pc macbook pro - crapped out two weeks ago. it's fixable, but i can't afford the downtime during the repair, so i bought a new macbook air. it's a great machine, but the version of photoshop i was running (cs3) does't run on intel machines (which my new one is - my broken machine was the last of the ppc versions) and buying a new machine AND cs5 isn't exactly in the budget. so... for the short term, i'm using pixlr when needed and will likely check out gimp, too. i also dug out an even older powerbook and installer cs3 and all of my fonts on it. it's wicked slow, but works.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 9-21-2011 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  
my primary machine - an older power pc macbook pro - crapped out two weeks ago. it's fixable, but i can't afford the downtime during the repair, so i bought a new macbook air. it's a great machine, but the version of photoshop i was running (cs3) does't run on intel machines (which my new one is - my broken machine was the last of the ppc versions) and buying a new machine AND cs5 isn't exactly in the budget. so... for the short term, i'm using pixlr when needed and will likely check out gimp, too. i also dug out an even older powerbook and installer cs3 and all of my fonts on it. it's wicked slow, but works.

I can send you CS5. I'm in a long meeting all day. Remind me tomorrow if I forget.

BDx13 - 9-21-2011 at 03:35 PM

the juice connection!

Six66Mike - 9-21-2011 at 04:52 PM

GIMP is pretty old school, when I was testing Ubuntu I had it on there.

I just use PhotoFiltre, some french-made freeware app that does all I need for resizing/editing photos.

thedog - 9-21-2011 at 08:45 PM

will CS5 run ok on Lion?

BDx13 - 9-21-2011 at 09:17 PM

apparently, yes, but there are a few small issues:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html