Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

your digital audio collection...

BDx13 - 12-12-2011 at 04:47 PM

do you keep music in your digital audio collection that you don't really listen to or maybe don't even really like on the off chance that maybe, at some point, you or someone you know might want to hear it?

or is your library trimmed down to just the things you know you want to hear?

Jason the Magnificent - 12-12-2011 at 05:23 PM

I have a ton of music I don't listen to, sometimes I find old gems or something I never realized I even DL'd.

10 gigs of unlistened to digital albums takes up so little space on my computer vs a shelf in my house...not even something I worry about.

XnMeX - 12-12-2011 at 05:26 PM

On my computer, TONS of stuff. On my mp3 player or phone, trimmed down.

moron - 12-12-2011 at 05:30 PM

Digital? I still only buy cds!

Discipline - 12-12-2011 at 05:33 PM

I have tons of stuff I rarely, if ever, listen to. Mostly metal, but some other stuff too. It's generally something I get the urge to listen once every year or two.

BKT - 12-12-2011 at 06:27 PM

I used to do that and then cleaned out all the shit I don't really like. No point in having it there. There is still stuff I hardly ever listen to, but I like all of the music in there.

BKT.

random - 12-12-2011 at 06:42 PM

I've got a mess of shit on my ipod, lots of doubles and triples because of weird shit itunes does when importing. Also lots of stuff I've probably never listened to, just accumulated over the years or acquired from trading.

I tend to go through obsessive phases and only listen to a handful of things for weeks at a time. Just got on a BFB kick and realized today that I don't have Wasted Youth Brew on my ipod since I went searching for something on it.

Also went crazy a few weeks ago on the itunes university thing and got a ton of music that I rarely listen to, except some Smithsonian Folkways stuff that is really cool to hear once in a while.

If I was anywhere near capacity, I'd delete a ton of useless garbage.

Six66Mike - 12-12-2011 at 07:29 PM

I'm a serious hoarder, I got shit I downloaded 15 years ago on IRC still. Old demo's, lots of shitty 128kbps stuff and a whole ton of stuff I'll never listen to. Just for the shits & giggles I've even started to upgrade some poor/incomplete rips to better quality, even if it's stuff I don't like.

I really should actually do a clean up, there's no way I'm ever going to like this emo shit I got. A lot of stuff I used to get as requests from FTP users or uploads from other people. I got stuff from all over the world.

Over 550GB of music last check. I'm moving it off to my NAS soon. I'm still painfully slowly going through and fixing up the folder structure and id3 tags.

Johnny_Whistle - 12-12-2011 at 07:56 PM

Yeah, I've got a ton of music that I don't listen to all that often, but I keep it because sometimes you're just in the mood for something different.

DAK - 12-12-2011 at 08:13 PM

I have all my music on a external hard drive. I have 230GB of music.

CR83 - 12-12-2011 at 08:22 PM

I keep a ton of thing digitally. My main reason is that I'd love my kids to one day want to just venture through the music collection. To me my collection tells a story about me. It can serve as a "What I was into when". I also enjoy just listening to every song alphabetically for a few weeks or just hitting random to find something "new". I currently sit at 9,002 songs.

Six66Mike - 12-13-2011 at 05:06 AM

Ran a check on my music drive.

Files: 81,828 Total Size: 538.48GB List Created: 13/12/2011 7:04:26 PM

File number is a bit artificial but not by much. Some of the files are images/cover art, log files. There's some duplication too as I've starting ripping my CD collection to FLAC, transcoding to V0 mp3, and haven't deleted any of the old substandard audio stuff that it may soon replace.

JawnDiablo - 12-13-2011 at 07:04 AM

I have so much crap on here that I forget about.
Whenever I run it all on shuffle I am reintroduced to stuff I forgot I liked or meant to delete.
105 GB 30,230 Files, 2,061 Folders of crap.....I gave up on the idea of weeding.

Dave - 12-13-2011 at 08:42 AM

i have some doubles, and some crap i could delete, i just having gotten around to it yet.
I think im around 150gigs now, i was ripping some old CD's the past week or so.

Discipline - 12-13-2011 at 07:21 PM

I'm at 182 GB. I don't think I have anything I actually dislike, but I do have a bunch of stuff I haven't listened to yet.

DaveMoral - 12-13-2011 at 09:10 PM

I'm only at "more than 31 GB" whatever that means. Almost 20,000 songs on my iPod which is everything on the computer.

sentrand - 12-13-2011 at 10:34 PM

i have a whopping 17gb on my computer and all of that is on my ipod. most of which i dont listen to. but as soon as i delete something i will want to hear it.

Six66Mike - 12-14-2011 at 08:52 AM

I had a song stuck in my head today then realized it wasn't on my PC, so I searched... and found a post I did here with it in the track listing. From the old various comps one xmas. Fuck there's some good stuff in here.

http://ubermike.com/music/VA%20Mix%20-%20Canada.zip

The song I was after was a Black Flag cover. If you're on my facebook I spammed the shit out of it with 10 of these bands, including this.

http://ubermike.com/music/The%20Kill%20Decibel%20-%20Gimme%2...

Thanks google for pointing me back to here - http://www.thorprecords.com/boards/viewthread.php?tid=11654#...