North Coast brewing Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
Atwater Block Brewery VJ Black Russian Imperial Stout
Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
Fegley's Brewworks Bourbon Barrel Insidious Imperial Stout
Full Pirt Brewing Co Perc E Bust Coffee Porter
Flying Dog Imperial Coffee Stout

I shall be feeling no pain come 10:00 tonight

Johnny_Whistle - 4-3-2012 at 11:29 AM

Never really got into the chocolate and coffee stouts, myself, although the Old Rasputin I remember as being very good.

SS76 - 4-3-2012 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JawnDiablo  
North Coast brewing Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

I first bought some of these because Rasputin's beard on the label. Deliciously potent.

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-3-2012 at 12:59 PM

I haven't had any Firestone Walker stuff yet, I have heard good things.

Idon't drink Imperial Stouts too often but you have some good ones on there. If you ever see Mother Earth Brewing's Silent Night Imperial Sout buy it, actually buy all of them even at $15.00 a 750ml its one of the best I have ever had.

I think I am gonna be up in Philly area this summer to see my grandfather who recently moved to the area. Gonna need some places to check out i definitely want to hit up Monk's Cafe. Any of you Philly guys around lets meet up for a beer or 10.

JawnDiablo - 4-3-2012 at 02:24 PM

Philly's loaded with good drinking.
I'd be up for meeting up if I am around when you are around.
What town did he move to?

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-3-2012 at 02:34 PM

Not sure the town i think its really close to philly like suburbs or something. It will probably be in july or early august

JawnDiablo - 4-3-2012 at 06:23 PM

hope he is not living in Upper Darby, he'll be sorry......

Jason the Magnificent - 4-3-2012 at 08:26 PM

Doest get much better than Rasputin. Severely under-hyped beer.

BDx13 - 4-3-2012 at 08:52 PM

VGm let us know. Consumption can be organized easily!

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-3-2012 at 09:22 PM

I know it's not upper darby. I'll bring it up again in a few months when I have some dates.

JawnDiablo - 4-4-2012 at 06:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  
VGm let us know. Consumption can be organized easily!

:thumbup:

Colin - 4-4-2012 at 10:44 AM

I think I found one of my all time favorites the other night with Cisco Brewer's (Nantucket) Grey Lady Ale, a Belgian-style wit

Colin - 4-5-2012 at 10:05 AM

SS76 - 4-5-2012 at 09:02 PM

tonight's beer is Guinness washed down with new WIC, new Municipal Waste and old Obituary.

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-5-2012 at 10:30 PM

went to the Flying Saucer with some friends working on my plate. Only 194 different ones to go. Damn the 3 beer rule of only 3 counting per trip. Had the Aviator Saison, 21st Ammendment Bitter American, and Harpoon Barrel Aged Dunkel (cask)

Dave - 4-6-2012 at 08:33 AM

we did a beer geek session at my place last night.

Vertical, of all the 8 anniversary Beers that Unibroue put out (back to 2002 i think). (thanks to Brian)
And the re-release they did in 2011 of one of them.

A home brew tripel of Brians, ( he won a bronze medal with it!)

Home brew Milk Stout of mine.

And we finished off with a bottle of Cantillion .

JawnDiablo - 4-6-2012 at 09:15 AM

I used to have a couple friends who were quite good at home brewing.
One moved to Thailand or Guam or something.
This guy at one point was the brew guy at John Harvards.
The other one, my friends dad now works for either Yards or that brewery that makes Kensinger.
These guys were way ahead of their time back in the mid 90s

Dave - 4-6-2012 at 05:13 PM

I have a pretty good looking lineup for tonight as well......

Voodoobillyman - 4-7-2012 at 05:44 PM

I've been getting down with Harpoon's Leviathon.......good IPA

jcarter - 4-9-2012 at 11:03 AM

Friday night I had a few Newcastle, a Youngs Double CHocolate Stour and a couple of cans of this, which really obliterated me. I'm still walking on eggshells arounf the wife...
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy

I was skeptical of the can but the owner at my local beer nerd store gave me a can to try on the house last month and I was hooked. It's about 15-18 bucks for a four pack but a four pack will have you buzzing for most of the evening.

JawnDiablo - 4-9-2012 at 12:07 PM

oh Ten Fidy is the bomb.
stuff packs a punch at 10.5%

all of Oskar Bluse I have had have been great.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-9-2012 at 01:25 PM

Canned craft beer is great. You generally are always getting a fresher beer that way.

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-9-2012 at 03:59 PM

My only problem with canned beer is even for the craft brewed stuff a lot if it still seems to get some of that metallic taste.

Saturday I had brew day at Fullsteam in Durham it was like Iron Chef. There were four , teams and secret ingredients were 6 Row Malt, French Tarragon and Sorghum. We ended up using all the ingredients and mad an Extra Special Bitter. We turn them in in may and the brewers at Fullsteam will pick a winner. It's gonna be nice to win the competition.

Fullsteam has some good stuff and some weird ones
http://www.fullsteam.ag/
THe Carver beer made with sweet potato is really good. If they didn't tell you it was made with potato you wouldn't even know it was in it other than it having a slight orangish color.

http://www.fullsteam.ag/beer/apothecary/ the smoked porter is amazing one of the better smoked porters i've had.

Jason the Magnificent - 4-10-2012 at 05:52 AM

I've never noticed the canned taste in anything I've had by Ska or Oskar Blues. I dont know if they're using lined cans?

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-10-2012 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
I've never noticed the canned taste in anything I've had by Ska or Oskar Blues. I dont know if they're using lined cans?

I've never noticed it with Oskar Blues. I had a canned Hefeweizen I almost couldn't drink because it tasted like the can so much

Jason the Magnificent - 4-10-2012 at 12:46 PM

Yeah I'm sure there's some breweries using inferior cans. Anything I've had from Half Acre (they only do cans and 22's) has been fine also.

Discipline - 4-10-2012 at 01:40 PM

Last night I enjoyed some Guinness and a fair amount of Alexander Keith's IPA. Good beers, but my ass is burning today.

Voodoobillyman - 4-12-2012 at 06:55 PM

rockin some Old Rasputin tonight for the first time....not bad. 3 deep and feelin good bros and brosettes

BDx13 - 4-12-2012 at 10:22 PM

fews of these put me in a goodspot.

JawnDiablo - 4-13-2012 at 06:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  

fews of these put me in a goodspot.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Discipline - 4-14-2012 at 11:34 PM

Made some killer nachos for dinner earlier and have been enjoying some Sleeman Cream Ale.

JawnDiablo - 4-15-2012 at 01:00 PM

I have grown quite fond of cream ales, and more so beers where put on the Nitro line......Bellhaven Scottish ale is excellent on Nitro, so are certain stouts.
so happy to have a killer bar in walking distance these days.

BDx13 - 4-15-2012 at 04:13 PM

quinn, you still have that bottle for me? we need to coordinate!

Discipline - 4-15-2012 at 05:04 PM

Nitro line?

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-15-2012 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Nitro line?

It's when you use nitrogen as the gas to push the beer through the lines instead of CO2. It works for some beers like stouts, you wouldn't want just any beer with nitrogen. It's a bit smoother. Guiness is a good example of a beer that uses it.

Vanilla Gorilla - 4-15-2012 at 05:12 PM

I went to the World of Beer Festival in Raleigh yesterday. One of the better ones was the Legend IPA dry hopped with Citra Hops.

Colin - 5-17-2012 at 06:48 PM

for anyone who has been to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland OR, or has ever lusted for bacon in a beer, or I guess peanut butter in vodka....

newbreedbrian - 5-17-2012 at 07:48 PM

Had a homebrewed Tripel, now enjoying a Schlenkerla Rauchbier.

Vanilla Gorilla - 5-27-2012 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Colin  
for anyone who has been to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland OR, or has ever lusted for bacon in a beer, or I guess peanut butter in vodka....

Had one of these yesterdays while brewing a RyePA with on of my buddies. Also had a homebrew Double IPA we brewed a couple weeks ago, and one of our Tarragon ESB's which will hopefully win a competition at Fullsteam Brewery in two weeks.

Also had some of these
New Holland Rye Hatter Rye PA

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop

Avery the Maharaja -

Love they have a bunch of beers called the Dictator Series, wish i could find some of the Kaiser an Imperial Oktoberfest that is one of the best beers i had

Also had the Scheider-Brooklyner collaboration Hopfen Weisse, gonna have to take a shot at making one fo these soon

BDx13 - 9-19-2012 at 07:20 PM

Southern Tier Brewing Company
Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/43687

fuck me.

Jason the Magnificent - 9-19-2012 at 07:24 PM

Is that your first time with that D? Stuff is amazing...almost smells better than it tastes though. Grabbed a bottle to share with my Mom on Turkey Day as shes into that kind of beer. You should have it on draft...double fuck.

Their Choc stout Chocolat is amazing too...one glass rich type of beer but that one glass is worth it.

BDx13 - 9-19-2012 at 07:33 PM

two nights ago i had it on tap at this bar in brooklyn for the first time. i was surprised that, for all the falvor, i wasn;t overwhelmed. you know how with some high alcohol beers - tripples, quads, barleywines - can just CAN'T drink more than one? i had three that night and was fine with it.

i'm back in that bar tonight. started with two anderson valley barney flats oatmeal stouts - which were very good. barkeep poured a creme brule for someone else and the scent of the beer took over the whole fucking bar like a yankee fucking candle. so...i'm back with another one on tap tonight. powerful, but really good.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/615

BDx13 - 2-10-2013 at 05:13 PM

Victory Storm King. more bitter than i would like, but a $10 growler at 9% abv is hsrd to argue with.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-10-2013 at 09:09 PM

Think I'm losing my taste for beer. The other night I had a really good IPA for dinner and wished I had a diet coke instead

JawnDiablo - 2-10-2013 at 11:15 PM

Had a Troegs Flying Mouflan tonight.
Liked it.

BDx13 - 2-11-2013 at 12:36 AM

Think I'm losing my taste for beer. The other night I had a really good IPA for dinner and wished I had a diet coke instead

it's like i don't even know you any more...

Jason the Magnificent - 2-11-2013 at 08:57 AM

It doesn't make any sense to me either. I really all but quit "drinking" for the past 18 months or so. I'll have a beer with dinner on occasion or two MAX if I go out after work with a couple guys...but the past couple times I drank one I felt like crap afterwards. Who am I?

Vanilla Gorilla - 2-11-2013 at 12:20 PM

It doesn't make any sense to me either. I really all but quit "drinking" for the past 18 months or so. I'll have a beer with dinner on occasion or two MAX if I go out after work with a couple guys...but the past couple times I drank one I felt like crap afterwards. Who am I?

sometimes you just need to switch to bourbon or scotch for a while

Vanilla Gorilla - 2-11-2013 at 12:21 PM

not sure if you guys see much from Foothills. But Foothills Jade IPA is outstanding its becoming my regular IPA. well as much as I have a regular beer, i pretty much try something new all the time.

BDx13 - 2-11-2013 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla  

sometimes you just need to switch to bourbon or scotch for a while

"for a while" in my case is like every other day!

Discipline - 2-11-2013 at 01:14 PM

I've come to the point where beer is usually something I only drink socially. If I'm drinking at home I stick to the whiskey. I'll have a few beers on occasion but I normally enjoy it more when I'm with other people.

Jason the Magnificent - 2-11-2013 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla  
not sure if you guys see much from Foothills. But Foothills Jade IPA is outstanding its becoming my regular IPA. well as much as I have a regular beer, i pretty much try something new all the time.

It's not the beer specifically...I love the taste of beer. It's just the alcohol I think. Who knows...I'm like an old woman.

JawnDiablo - 2-11-2013 at 06:24 PM

I typically have between 1-4 and stop because I get tired and have to get up so early anymore

Dennis Mc - 2-15-2013 at 09:53 AM

SF beer week is going on. I had this last night.
Firestone Walker Parabola 2012,12.5% Paso Robles, CA
Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

JawnDiablo - 2-15-2013 at 12:15 PM

Had an Iron Hill Imperial Stout with dinner last night.
Ruled.

BDx13 - 2-16-2013 at 09:35 PM

holy hell, dennis, that sounds legit.

jawn, i assume you were at an iron hill?

got through a growler of victory's scarlet fire yesterday, picked up a case of Troegenator today. 8.2% doublebock.
http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/troegenator_double_bock.aspx

JawnDiablo - 2-16-2013 at 10:27 PM

ah the Troegenator is great.

yeah we hit the Hill in Media quite regularly.

BDx13 - 2-16-2013 at 10:30 PM

nice one. i've had a few of their beers at the west chester spot. bigger fan of the seasonals than their regulars.

JawnDiablo - 2-17-2013 at 09:11 AM

as am I, but I also like their food as does my hardly ever drinks fiance.

JawnDiablo - 3-14-2013 at 06:54 PM

BD, I picked up a bottle of the White Monkey along with a bottle of Yards Chocolate Love Stout.
Cooking dinner right now, I predict a tasteful evening.

BDx13 - 3-15-2013 at 10:23 AM

haven't had either yet. lemme know what you think.

I had some time in between trains on Wed night, so I popped in that Bridgewater Pub in 30th St station. Had a couple Optimator while working on new merch designs. Good stuff..and it's served in a proper mug!

JawnDiablo - 3-15-2013 at 01:24 PM

I love that place!

the monkey was tasty.

I still have to try the Yards.

JawnDiablo - 3-15-2013 at 01:24 PM

haha this thread is nearly a year old...