Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Food allergies

Furly - 9-11-2012 at 08:41 PM

I know at least one of you has a gluten allergy... Anyone else have any or know anyone with weird ones? A good friend of mine has the gluten and I feel for her every time we go out to eat.

So I just learned I'm allergic to corn... I'm not sure I'm really buying it yet, but been reading some symptoms and could be a possibility.... It's fucking crazy how much shit has corn in it,.... 90+% of foods plus body powders/lotions/soaps... Plus, any meat that was eating corn..... Food in stupid paper cartons... Fuck this shit. I don't want it.

Another question.... Anyone ever get allergy shots? Thoughts?

BDx13 - 9-11-2012 at 09:19 PM

i used to get shots for seasonal allergies when i was a kid...and my mom was a nurse in an allergist's office.

no food allergies, though, thankfully. good luck with the corn thing.

Furly - 9-11-2012 at 10:04 PM

I'm thankful it's not like a severe reaction... I see how the gluten affects people and it's crazy scary.... Nevermind peanuts in schools and that whole fiasco.

Do you remember for how long you got the shots? Do you think they worked at the time (or were ya to young to remember), have you gotten seasonal allergies as an adult?

morgan - 9-11-2012 at 10:19 PM

My girlfriend is completely lactose intolerant, and mildly allergic to gluten and corn. Makes things interesting when it comes to figuring out meals.

BDx13 - 9-11-2012 at 11:52 PM

i got the shots once a week spring through fall for a few years and yes, they definitely helped.

MikeFromInhuman - 9-13-2012 at 02:19 PM

How do you know for sure if you have a gluten allergy?

Furly - 9-14-2012 at 07:15 AM

I think gluten is like the others, you'd go to an allergy Dr and have them test you. The process is pretty simple, they stab you in the back with tiny little needles, each one containing a different thing.... Gluten, dog, ragweed, dust mite ect... If it swells you're allergic, if it doesn't they do a more concentrated needle on your arm to double check.

Spoiler - 9-14-2012 at 12:07 PM

I'm allergic to tomatoes. Took me years to figure out what the hell was going on.