Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Slipknot?

CR83 - 6-18-2013 at 09:09 PM

Ok, I have never given them a thought. I have been watching the Roadrunner 25th anniversary DVD and their drummer did some songs. I never heard them before so I checked them on youtube. There are elements like the imagery that are pretty cool. I'm just assuming it is a horror theme of sorts. I lump them in with shitty bands like Korn though. Anyone on here have a record by Slipknot they'd recommend? I'm willing to give them a shot I guess.

BDx13 - 6-18-2013 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CR83  
Ok, I have never given them a thought.

i don't think we can be friends any more.

Six66Mike - 6-18-2013 at 10:30 PM

Only one I've been able to dig is the self titled one they put out, there's some really cool tracks on it.

panzerkreuzer - 6-19-2013 at 03:46 AM

i prefer "iowa" and "all hope is gone". great records, great band.
a must see live band.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-19-2013 at 08:35 AM

they are a guilty pleasure of mine, but really only the first 2-3 albums.
I'm a big fan of theactrics in music (KISS, Alice Cooper etc) and I just buy into the masks. I know most people think its really lame, but I like them.

I would suggest the live album, I think its called '2.0' but I also like the self titled & Iowa quite a bit.

JawnDiablo - 6-19-2013 at 09:08 AM

I like some of the stuff on the first CD.

the drum stuff is pretty crazy.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-19-2013 at 09:26 AM

the drumming is insane! Joey Jordinson is like Dave Lombardo style & speed meets Tommy Lee flair and showmanship! One tour he had a drum platform that tipped up so he was sitting looking down at the floor and then it spun and lit up like a giant 9 pointed star (the Slipknot logo).

Plus they have 2 other 'drummers' that mostly smash on GIANT racktoms and other things that make cool noises, like hitting an empty beer keg with an aluminum baseball bat!

JawnDiablo - 6-19-2013 at 09:35 AM

that shits insane I tell ya

Discipline - 6-19-2013 at 11:56 AM

Best drum display I ever saw was Sepultura doing Kaiowas on the Chaos A.D. tour. Igor going off on his drums while the rest of the band and all the guys from Pantera and Biohazard were lined up across the front of the stage each playing a drum to augment it. Fucking insane.

As for Slipknot, I saw the video for Wait and Bleed and liked it, but other than that they never did much for me.

JawnDiablo - 6-19-2013 at 02:37 PM

I saw Sepultura touring for Arise and Igor actually did an old school metal drum solo.

Vanilla Gorilla - 6-19-2013 at 03:42 PM

no thanks on Slipknot, let me go to hot topic and see if i change my mind

BKT - 6-19-2013 at 03:44 PM

Horrible band, great bunch of guys. I hate when that happens.

BKT.

JawnDiablo - 6-19-2013 at 06:11 PM

I remember when they came out, a friend mentioned their name and I'm like oh this doesn't sound like that band that was on revelation......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Slipknot-7-Orange-RSD-2013-Reve...

BDx13 - 6-19-2013 at 10:14 PM

i can't say i've ever even listened to them. just seeing that hot mess was enough for me

Six66Mike - 6-19-2013 at 10:55 PM

Forgot about the live show, saw them in Toronto not long after self titled came out. They played with Dope & Kittie (who were both complete crap). It was a really good show though, they nailed it live.

clevohardcore - 6-20-2013 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  
i can't say i've ever even listened to them. just seeing that hot mess was enough for me

I hated them when they were called mushroomhead, hated them even more when slipknot became the replacement.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-20-2013 at 07:57 AM

I saw them from the balcony at a place in Worcester and they were such a huge production it was awesome to be able to see the whole stage, plus some behind the stage & side stage action.

After the set, but before the encore the bass player walks out and hops up on one of the percussion platforms. He took out a pocket knife and cut out 2 of the drum heads off the monsterous rack toms. The rest of the band came out and when the percussionist (Clown) came out and saw the heads missing he bashed on the rims for a bit. The bass player must have been laughing and the Clown figured out he had done it.

Clown went and cut some wire cutters and chased the bass player around trying to cut the strings off his bass. When that didnt work out we could see the Clown walk backstage to the extra guitars, push a roadie/tech aside and cut the strins off the extra basses backstage. Funny shit to see unfold!

JawnDiablo - 6-20-2013 at 09:52 AM

Slipknot was Mushroomhead?

Damn I never knew that.

Barnesey - 6-22-2013 at 03:43 AM

I'd rather get gang raped by the San Diego Chargers Defensive line.

clevohardcore - 6-22-2013 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JawnDiablo  
Slipknot was Mushroomhead?

Damn I never knew that.

Its well publicized that Mushroomhead were negotiating with RR a record deal and kept refusing to sign and hold out for more money. Using there local shows as proof they are supposedly great. Well RR flat out decided to find another band to wear masks for less money. Effectively ripping off Mushroomheads lame gimmick. This link is a short summary.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2006/10/1...

CR83 - 6-22-2013 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  
Quote: Originally posted by CR83  
Ok, I have never given them a thought.

i don't think we can be friends any more.

BD, I hope you can forgive me. I'm assuming since I was considering I have lost points. Well, poop.

:)

BDx13 - 6-22-2013 at 11:56 AM

haha!