Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

back to school

XHonusWagnerX - 6-19-2013 at 08:39 AM

yes its a great movie, but thats not what this is about... its about the fact that I'm 39 years old and on july 9th I'm going back to school.

I cant deal with my job anymore and dont know what else to do becaue I have no skills and really nothing to offer an employer so I'm gonna learn something new.

I'm starting with a 7 week certificate program for 'teachers assistant' with a goal of working with handicapped (mentally & psyhicaly) kids in low grades like 1-3. After the certificate I MIGHT be able to get a job in the field, but I dont know if it will pay enough for me to pay my bills.

My next step MIGHT be a degree in 'Occupational Therapy' (same type of working with kids) but that will be about 3 years of school and I'm not sure I can pull that off!

Hope I can get through the 7 weeks!

JawnDiablo - 6-19-2013 at 09:06 AM

awesome man.

I have been kicking around the idea of trying and taking classes to see how I do / like it in the near future.

Lack of an education is something that has / will hold me back in the field I work in, even though I have over 13 years of experience at this point.

It will just be a long ride for me doing it a little bit at a time.

I'm 38 but I'd like to think I'll live for a while.......

Discipline - 6-19-2013 at 11:58 AM

Great news man. Good to see you take a positive step towards ending your misery at work.

morgan - 6-20-2013 at 07:50 AM

Best of luck man.

Vanilla Gorilla - 6-20-2013 at 09:31 AM

you can do it man its just kind of sacrafice for a bit while you do. I just finished my first year of grad school and it was an adjustment to go from the working world where when you day ends you go home and thats pretty much the end of it, to having to do homework and projects and spend a lot of what use to be free time doing work. I have learned a ton and going to be in a much better position to get a really well paying job that I like after I finish in May 2014. Go for it, and good luck.

MattyA - 6-20-2013 at 03:43 PM

Good luck with every thing!

Dennis Mc - 6-22-2013 at 01:56 PM

That's awesome that you are taking the steps to something better.

newbreedbrian - 6-24-2013 at 12:39 PM

Great news! Best decision I made for sure. You'll do great, just stay focused.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-9-2013 at 07:58 AM

school starts tonight... I'm nervous and hoping that its not a big mistake even though its only 7 weeks to start!

Dennis Mc - 7-9-2013 at 09:55 AM

Definitely not a mistake. Enjoy.