Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Death Metal Fans - PORTAL from Australia...watch....

MikeFromInhuman - 3-16-2014 at 06:20 PM

Death Metal on some other level shit defined.

Watching this reminded me of being 16/17 and hearing OBITUARY for the first time. My jaw dropped and I got the chills.

I can't get over how INSANE this is, in the best way possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyw_FGIhAE

MikeFromInhuman - 3-16-2014 at 06:23 PM

Sums it up nicely:

Portal is an Australian extreme metal band known for its unorthodox fusion of death metal with black metal. The band's hybrid musical style is characterised by heavily distorted guitar riffs, down-tuned rhythms, and vocals ranging from "menacing, echoing" sound effects to guttural grunts. Writing for Popmatters, Adrien Begrand noted that "death metal always pretends to be scary, but [...] it's all rather harmless. That said, however, I make no mistake in saying that the death metal peddled by Australia’s Portal is truly friggin' terrifying". Lead guitarist Horror Illogium has described Portal's intent as "to capture a cinematic horror scope".

Jason the Magnificent - 3-17-2014 at 07:17 AM

I'm still not sold on this band, that video is awesome and people have been hyping them for a while...but musically it's just kind of mediocre. It's not bad...it just feels like more of a novelty, it almost feels like the new Ghost (not musically) where people are looking for something over the top visually and trying to make it seem more important than it is. Seems like after a decade the "right" people have been wearing their shirts and they're getting a lot more attention though so good for them.

A Band like Cultes des Ghoules where there's total mystery surrounding the band (not just because of costumes) that you'll never see live seems more eerie/epic.

Discipline - 3-17-2014 at 11:13 AM

Not digging Portal. Sounds, to me, like death metal vocals over black metal music. Seeing as I can't get into black metal, it's not a surprise that I'm not digging. Also, the vocals are too low in the mix for my tastes which is something that seems to be normal for the black metal genre going by what I've heard over the years. I did like the video though.

Six66Mike - 3-18-2014 at 07:36 AM

Think it would definitely sound better with high pitched black metal vocals. Christian Rehn from Abyssos for instance would sound really damn good over that music. Or Marcus Bischoff from Heaven Shall Burn on the earlier albums before he changed his style.

CR83 - 3-20-2014 at 09:07 PM

I'm sold. Thanks for the recommendation.

JawnDiablo - 3-21-2014 at 09:55 AM

My latest guilty pleasures are:

Mantar:
https://www.facebook.com/MantarBand

and

Tempel:

https://www.facebook.com/Tempelofficialband?ref=profile

sludge, screams, it's what I like

Six66Mike - 3-21-2014 at 08:34 PM

My friend saw them in Perth this week, he said it was amazing live & the horror theme was definitely brought on stage.

BDx13 - 3-26-2014 at 07:38 PM

with the exception of that drumming around minute one (my least favorite style of drumming), i like it. down w/ the vocals and the guitar tuning. video is fantastic.