Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

The Ramones

Mark Lind - 4-14-2014 at 06:51 PM

I can't get enough of them. That is all.

Discuss their awesomeness.

Dennis Mc - 4-14-2014 at 07:00 PM

Their music is timeless and Rock N Roll Highschool is one of the best movies.

MattyA - 4-14-2014 at 10:23 PM

Without them there wouldn't be any of this music that we love!

CR83 - 4-14-2014 at 10:51 PM

I found a youtube vid of them in England. I put it on in our home gym and my three year old starts jumping and pumping her fist. The Ramones are magic. Nothing short of magic.

Six66Mike - 4-16-2014 at 05:10 AM

Tried to see them once, was too young to get in the club. Never had another opportunity, still bugs me today.

JawnDiablo - 4-16-2014 at 08:28 AM

One year while Christmas shopping I wandered into some store and heard some jerkoff proclaim that he hated the Ramones.
I told him that I hated him.

Johnny_Whistle - 4-16-2014 at 10:01 AM

Hands down, probably my all-time favorite band. At the very least, in my top 3. Plus, they had three of the best punk drummers of all time during the course of their career. Tommy invented punk rock drums, Marky made it an art, Richie hit harder than anyone I've ever seen. Marky STILL plays 8th notes on the hi-hat faster than is humanly possible.

Ever met a drummer who counts Marky Ramone, Neil Peart, and Slayer Hippy as their biggest influences? Now you have.

Discipline - 4-16-2014 at 01:12 PM

I LOVE the Ramones. I only got to see them live once towards the end of their career and it was amazing. It's funny how tame their music seems compared to the punk and hardcore bands that came later. If they started up today they would probably get on the radio fairly easily.

sentrand - 4-16-2014 at 01:24 PM

Johnny_Whistle - 4-16-2014 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
I LOVE the Ramones. I only got to see them live once towards the end of their career and it was amazing. It's funny how tame their music seems compared to the punk and hardcore bands that came later. If they started up today they would probably get on the radio fairly easily.

Every time I hear the term "pop punk" (in reference to bands like Screeching Weasel and the Queers), my brain always adds "Or as it used to be known, punk."

Discipline - 4-16-2014 at 10:15 PM

I agree. Whenever somebody refers to pop-punk I think of the Ramones, then wonder why it's usually used to describe bands I hate.

JawnDiablo - 4-17-2014 at 07:56 AM

just wondering, what bands would be considered pop punk anyway?

Johnny_Whistle - 4-17-2014 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JawnDiablo  
just wondering, what bands would be considered pop punk anyway?

IMHO, bands like Buzzcocks, Generation X, Undertones, Queers, Screeching Weasel, Mr. T Experience, Groovie Ghoulies, etc., would be legitimate pop punk bands (i.e. - bands that actually have roots in the punk rock scene).

Nowadays, bands like Sum 41, Taking Back Sunday, Panic at the Disco, Paramore and the like are called pop punk. I like my list much better.

JawnDiablo - 4-17-2014 at 01:44 PM

ok.
Makes sense.
I am just trying to differentiate us and them if you know what I mean?

Mark Lind - 4-18-2014 at 09:48 AM

Pop punk is such a vague term but it was definitely geared towards Ramones' copy cats early on. The pop punk bands that I like are Green Day, Bouncing Souls, Taking Back Sunday, Alkaline Trio, early Saves the Day. Most of that stuff is crap. The Ramones were such brilliant artists and I rarely refer to a rock band as artists. They created something of their own. When everyone else was getting bloated and self indulgent they told us that less is more. It sucks that it took them all dying for people to really care on any scale bigger a small time band.

I had coffee with Al Barr last weekend. (Sidenote: I love that guy). He was telling me about the two times he saw the Ramones in the 80's. He said that the shows were weird. People were there for the event but the band was not really the focal point of the show. Evidently they attracted a lot of bikers and that was more of the vibe with a small amount of people being into and familiar with the music. It sounds like a crime given their legendary status now but those dudes really struggled to make ends meet when they were active.

ChadBeantown - 4-22-2014 at 11:37 AM

They are definitely in my top 5 bands!! I have seen them 12-15 times since the late 80's.

Discipline - 4-22-2014 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChadBeantown  
They are definitely in my top 5 bands!! I have seen them 12-15 times since the late 80's.

How is that possible? They broke up almost 20 years ago.

Johnny_Whistle - 4-22-2014 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Quote: Originally posted by ChadBeantown  

How is that possible? They broke up almost 20 years ago.

They used to come to Boston and Providence A LOT. Every single tour would include at least one night in each city. Oftentimes two. And it wasn't all that big a deal to trek down to Hartford, or out to Western & Central Mass, southern New Hampshire. Portland, Maine was also not out of the question. And of course, NYC is only a 3 hour drive. If you were a Southeastern New Englander between 1984 and 1996 (just counting the years I was most active going to shows), you had tons of opportunities to see them.

Discipline - 4-22-2014 at 08:46 PM

Ahh, I've done that with the Dayglo Abortions. There were a number of tours where I saw them anywhere from 3 to 6 nights in a row at shows within a couple hours from my house. I still love their shows to this day.