Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Snowpiercer

Murk - 9-15-2014 at 12:57 PM

easily the best movie i've seen this year
Quote:
In 2014, an experiment to counteract global warming causes an ice age that kills nearly all life on Earth. The only survivors are the inhabitants of the Snowpiercer, a massive train, powered by a perpetual-motion engine, that travels on a globe-spanning track. A class system is installed, with the elites inhabiting the front of the train and poor inhabiting the tail.

In 2031, the tail inhabitants prepare for the latest in a series of rebellions. Guards arrive periodically to deliver protein blocks for food, and take some of the children. During the guards’ next visit, Curtis Everett leads the tail inhabitants in revolt, forcing their way through several train cars...

also, general movie recommendation thread...

barc0debaby - 9-15-2014 at 01:41 PM

Saw the trailer for it at the theater, looked pretty good.

Jason the Magnificent - 9-15-2014 at 03:05 PM

Good sci-fi flick. Didn't come close to Apes though.

barc0debaby - 9-15-2014 at 09:23 PM

Apes was ruined for me by the abysmally acted human characters and the shallow feel of the story. Plus it seemed like the entire movie was just a transitional step to sell another movie. Dawn of the planet of the apes, oh shit this is where the apes take over! Nope, no they don't. Just a story that goes absolutely no where. Loved the ape shit though, just give me 100 minutes of cgi apes fucking shit up and I'm good.

Less filla, more gorilla!

Jason the Magnificent - 9-16-2014 at 08:05 AM

IMO there was more than enough ape...and I usually don't go see movies with a monkey riding a horse and holding a machine gun on the poster hoping I'm going to see "acting"...but Jason Clarke was as solid in that movie as anything else he's ever been in. Got 90% on Rotten Tomatoes too, and with all the hyper sensitive critics that says a lot.

Sbowpiercer was solid though and worth a watch.

JawnDiablo - 9-16-2014 at 08:49 AM

I loved this last Apes film.

Gonna try to get Snowpiercer from a torrent site this weekend.

Snowpiercer sounds like it would be the B side to Frost Hammer by High On Fire LOL

Murk - 9-16-2014 at 04:34 PM

i've heard tons of good things about Apes, but i won't be able to check it out until it hits video...

JawnDiablo - 9-17-2014 at 06:11 AM

downloaded it.
I'll probably watch it tonight

BDx13 - 9-17-2014 at 07:02 PM

yeah, totally thought 'snow piercer' was gonna be a metal band!

Discipline - 9-18-2014 at 11:38 AM

I checked out Snowpiercer last night and loved it. One helluva story, and Chris Evans in the lead role was really good. One of his better performances.

Jason the Magnificent - 9-18-2014 at 12:29 PM

I'm glad that dude is getting some more "serious" roles and not all the smart ass stuff all the time.

Discipline - 9-18-2014 at 02:39 PM

Agreed

barc0debaby - 9-18-2014 at 03:11 PM

Chris Evans seems like a cool dude. He got drunk on the Doug Loves Movies podcast, made for some good entertainment.