Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

looting in New Orleans.

BDx13 - 8-30-2005 at 09:01 PM

i'm sorry, but this shit is too funny...

NEW ORLEANS - With much of the city flooded by Hurricane Katrina, looters
floated garbage cans filled with clothing and jewelry down the street in a
dash to grab what they could. In some cases, looting on Tuesday took place
in full view of police and National Guard troops.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out
with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86!
86!" ? the radio code for police ? and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped
pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to
come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess
not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central
business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters
ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry
stores.

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked
if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and
floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as National
Guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's
an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

A man walked down Canal Street with a pallet of food on his head. His wife,
who refused to give her name, insisted they weren't stealing from the nearby
Winn-Dixie supermarket. "It's about survival right now," she said as she
held a plastic bag full of purloined items. "We got to feed our children.
I've got eight grandchildren to feed."

At a drug store on Canal Street just outside the French Quarter, two police
officers with pump shotguns stood guard as workers from the Ritz-Carlton
Hotel across the street loaded large laundry bins full of medications, snack
foods and bottled water.

"This is for the sick," Officer Jeff Jacob said. "We can commandeer whatever
we see fit, whatever is necessary to maintain law."

Another office, D.J. Butler, told the crowd standing around that they would
be out of the way as soon as they got the necessities.

"I'm not saying you're welcome to it," the officer said. "This is the
situation we're in. We have to make the best of it."

The looting was taking place in full view of passing National Guard trucks
and police cruisers.

One man with an armload of clothes even asked a policeman, "can I borrow
your car?"

Some in the crowd splashed into the waist-deep water like giddy children at
the beach.

Discipline - 8-30-2005 at 09:41 PM

People are fuckin scumbags.

KyleOz - 8-30-2005 at 09:58 PM

Shit happens and you have to take action sometimes. This however is unnecesary beyond belief. The owners of these stores and markets are going to have enough time getting back on their feet if they even get that far, and these ignorant people are further diminishing their livelyhoods.

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle - 8-30-2005 at 10:33 PM

I wonder if it matters though? I don't know how insurance works with stuff like this. If they didn't loot the stuff, would the stuff be considered "ruined" and claimed as a full loss anyways? I remember when I worked grocery in the dairy dept. back in 98/99, the day the date expired, we were supposed to go to the backroom mopbucket sink and rip open the containers, whether it be yogurt or bagels or cheese or anything that's considered a dairy item and discard the food in garbage bags and pour the liquids down the sink. Then we would save the part of the package with the UPC code and the store would mail the UPC codes back in for credits. After doing that a few times, I started saying FUCK THIS - and I would simply throw the stuff into cling wrap and take it home with me. I never bought dairy items!

So I'm just wondering if these stores would claim the items as a total loss anyways?

defstarsteve - 8-30-2005 at 10:40 PM

yes there are scum bags in there...... especailly the ones taking jewelry and expensive clothes
but lets look at the other side of this....

new orleans is about 85% ghetto
folks that don't have a car didn't have a chance to get the fuck out

so your whole house gets flooded out....
and you have kids to feed
and there is no electricity, no sewage, no clean water to drink....
no stores open to buy food at and no way of getting out....

you survive....
it doesn't mean steal expensive jewley or clothes,
but you might need dry clothes ever been soaking wet in clothes for days
and you have to have food.... no electricity means no fridge
so keeping shit fresh as well as dry, good luck

it's anarchy plain and simple

and yes I feel for those store owners (and everyone else)
but they can write it all off to fema and the insurance companies as a total loss and get something back to rebuild with

those people stranded in that shit are gonna be lucky to survive long enough to even talk to fema, let alone get a check

defstarsteve - 8-30-2005 at 10:43 PM

white people "find" things http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/05083007181...

black people steal things http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530

BDx13 - 8-30-2005 at 10:56 PM

good catch, steve. those whites are punks and they still "found" those items!

defstarsteve - 8-30-2005 at 10:58 PM

spin is an amazing thing

I just hope those who are still alive get out okay

we are supposed to get hit with whats left of it tonight/tomorrow
and the winds are going crazy right now...
I can just imagine how fucked up it was down there

clevohardcore - 8-30-2005 at 11:10 PM

Damn dude. That is amazing. The difference between white and black in the MEDIA is huge.

BDx13 - 8-30-2005 at 11:41 PM

from an AP story...

--
One looter shot and wounded a fellow looter, who was taken to a hospital and survived.
--

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 8-31-2005 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE
from an AP story...

--
One looter shot and wounded a fellow looter, who was taken to a hospital and survived.
--

In Louisianna it is legal to shoot and kill someone who tries to carjack you. I assume if someone tries to steal your looted shit then it's legal to kill them too.

Memphis got hit by this storm last night. Lots of power outages, a little flooding. My house though, only the swing in the back yard flipped over, everything else is fine. I hope it stays that way.

clevohardcore - 8-31-2005 at 12:59 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=1&u=/05083...

Thought I'd add to the looters theory here on THORP.
Peace!

clevohardcore - 8-31-2005 at 01:02 AM

Damn for some reason it didnt' work.

It read "A looter is carrying a bucket of beer out of a liquoir store he just looted.
He is waiste deep in water and has a pale full of beer bottles. He's got long black hair in a semi ponytail and he's smiling.

GabeTexasGAMC - 8-31-2005 at 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
white people "find" things http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/05083007181...

black people steal things http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530

John Bulldog - 8-31-2005 at 06:26 AM

Anybody noticing that the white guy is wearing a ignite shirt

DAK - 8-31-2005 at 09:30 AM

Stealing shoes is not hip. I guess they need to be styling in their air jordans while wading through water.

bystanderfanzine.com - 8-31-2005 at 11:37 AM

I think it is funny how the South is so "godly" and "moral" ...always talking about the north like we are scum bags... when shit happens up here like that we always seem to keep civil (NYC Blackout)...while the south acts like a bunch of fucking animals.

clevohardcore - 8-31-2005 at 01:49 PM

I think it is funny how the South is so "godly" and "moral" ...always talking about the north like we are scum bags... when shit happens up here like that we always seem to keep civil (NYC Blackout)...while the south acts like a bunch of fucking animals.

Good point.

clevohardcore - 8-31-2005 at 01:50 PM

SO I guess the "DUUURTY SOUTH" is now clean?

KyleOz - 8-31-2005 at 03:08 PM

A hurricane to purify?

*dodges tomatoes ala Fozzy the bear*

Discipline - 8-31-2005 at 03:24 PM

Check out this point of view.

http://www.illwillpress.com/

Just click on the box that says hurricane report.

sippers - 8-31-2005 at 05:10 PM

if were a buncha animals.how come so many peeps here in houston are opening up their homes,and churches to help these peeps out.hell the astrodome is gonna be home to about 25,ooo people for a couple of months...there's a big difference between losing your lights for a few days,and losing everything..new orleans has about 1.3 millon peeps that will be w/o homes,jobs,food,basically just about everything for at least 2 mos..my heat goes out to all that this has affected cuz it coulda been houston that got hit..greg

bystanderfanzine.com - 8-31-2005 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sippers
if were a buncha animals.how come so many peeps here in houston are opening up their homes,and churches to help these peeps out.hell the astrodome is gonna be home to about 25,ooo people for a couple of months...there's a big difference between losing your lights for a few days,and losing everything..new orleans has about 1.3 millon peeps that will be w/o homes,jobs,food,basically just about everything for at least 2 mos..my heat goes out to all that this has affected cuz it coulda been houston that got hit..greg

I don't really count Texas, more along the lines of the bible belt.

Every bible belt southerner I know hates New York because of the "gays" and "immorality".

JawnDiablo - 8-31-2005 at 07:51 PM

the clip of the assholes looting the TV store was good...ok they gots dare tvs but now they have to carry it through 2 feet of water back to their home, which is under water, and cant watch it.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 8-31-2005 at 10:47 PM

Just how many bible belt Southerners do you know living in Albany? I'm sure there are religious freaks living on Long Island who hate NY for the same reasons. The real reason why some Southern people hate the East Coast in general is because everyone there thinks Southerners are dumb and slow.

bystanderfanzine.com - 9-1-2005 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
Just how many bible belt Southerners do you know living in Albany? I'm sure there are religious freaks living on Long Island who hate NY for the same reasons. The real reason why some Southern people hate the East Coast in general is because everyone there thinks Southerners are dumb and slow.

You see I use to be in this thing called a band, and we traveled. I also have family and friends down there and I also (sometimes because my dad raced Nascar) have conversations with people who come to NY on vacation. I also work in a community where a ton of people migrate back and forth. Never mind my family lives by ground zero... the mecca of southern tourism. I atleast have had a conversation with one person from the good old south a month. Some of them family who I love but who just don't get it.

Never mind the idiot pundits on TV and this entire administration. The things that come out of the mouths of people who represent the southern states blow me away.

bystanderfanzine.com - 9-1-2005 at 01:00 PM

actually a ton, I just posted a huge repsonse and it got lost. I have family in the south, never mind you people elect some of the most ass backwards humans to ever grace the earth.

I also run into them because my family lives by ground zero, and it has become the Mecca for southern tourist, which I think it tasteless.

bystanderfanzine.com - 9-1-2005 at 01:00 PM

shit it posted, po well

Voodoobillyman - 9-1-2005 at 01:19 PM

I can end this right now, with the southern and northern thing, I was born and raised in New England, spent the first 25 years of my life there, then I moved to Virginia and have sepnt alot of time in West Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina along with VA. Now........people from the South are a little slow in my experience, but I dont mean dumb. Just simple and laid back is all whereas the people in the north (especially new york) are very fast paced and quick speaking, and have shorter tempers. These are the differences between the two as I see them, if I had to pick one or the other when it comes to ignorant people per capita, I would have to say New York, I do not care for alot of the people I have met from there. present company excluded of course:)

DAK - 9-1-2005 at 04:42 PM

boom

Voodoobillyman - 9-1-2005 at 04:50 PM

It's funny I actually met this guy named Mike in Moyok North Carolina that has a full Officers uniform from the Southern side of the civil war. This crazy bastard will get stinky drunk and stand in his front yard in full regalia screaming about Yankee this and Yankee that while simultaneously swinging his officers blade wildly, what a trip this guy is, and a fountain of information historically speaking. But to see him, you would think he was just another poor white trash hick, how wrong you would be.

hollymaconmovies - 9-1-2005 at 05:46 PM

The current political and economic climate in the world is really bringing out the worst in people. I sure hope we don't let our governments bring us down at the knees. I don't know why specifically this hurricane in New Orleans is bringing up so much North vs. South tension, but this is not the only place I've seen it, and it sickens me.

United we stand, divided we fall people.

Times are tough and we need to put our differences aside and stand together. If we start bickering over stupid shit, it will take our focus off of the real problems we face.

There are assholes everywhere. Rude people, red necks, elitests etc. etc. North vs. South, Democrat vs. Republican, the US vs. the World....Who needs this shit? I'm not saying 'can't we all just get along', I'm saying Don't take your eyes off of the real issues. War, Terror, Disaster, the Environment, the economy.

All I can say is, I see a real need for us, America as a country and the World as a community, to attempt to band together and fix what's wrong. We all have our own lives, and we all have our own problems, but if we don't address the issues at hand, and soon, I seriously fear the consequences. Governments should not be running the world, people should be running the world through their Governments.

I'll be the first one to admit, I've been caught up in my day to day, and letting other people worry about taking care of the issues. And I've come to realize recently, that that is not acceptable. I alone probably can't change the world. But I'm not going to sit here and watch it go to hell, and complain, while I doing nothing. Starting today, I'm going to take steps, however small, to make an impact. Because if I'm going down, I'm going down fighting, not silently at the hands of a government with an agenda I don't agree with.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 9-1-2005 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bystanderfanzine.com

You see I use to be in this thing called a band, and we traveled. I also have family and friends down there and I also (sometimes because my dad raced Nascar) have conversations with people who come to NY on vacation. I also work in a community where a ton of people migrate back and forth. Never mind my family lives by ground zero... the mecca of southern tourism. I atleast have had a conversation with one person from the good old south a month. Some of them family who I love but who just don't get it.

Never mind the idiot pundits on TV and this entire administration. The things that come out of the mouths of people who represent the southern states blow me away.

You see what I'm saying? You talk down to me because you think you're sharper than I am. Your points about Southern people remind me of shit I hear racist people say about black people. "Man niggers all do this or all say that, man they're stupid" Bottomline is I take offense at generalized shit talking about the South and its people because that's my home. Of course we have more than our share of problems as you so kindly pointed out for me, like I don't know, but not everyone is the moral high-horse riding hillbilly that you're talking about. And that's why I'm giving you shit.

thedog - 9-1-2005 at 11:37 PM

there are fucked up people every where.
north, south, east and west there are fucked up people.

its just a shame now that the catastrophy these people are involved in is being over shadowed by some jackasses looting televisions and jewelry.
i can see taking food, dry clothes, medicines, and other things you need to survive.... but a tv.

bystanderfanzine.com - 9-2-2005 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
Quote:
Originally posted by bystanderfanzine.com

You see what I'm saying? You talk down to me because you think you're sharper than I am. Your points about Southern people remind me of shit I hear racist people say about black people. "Man niggers all do this or all say that, man they're stupid" Bottomline is I take offense at generalized shit talking about the South and its people because that's my home. Of course we have more than our share of problems as you so kindly pointed out for me, like I don't know, but not everyone is the moral high-horse riding hillbilly that you're talking about. And that's why I'm giving you shit.

Actually you started the "talking down" part, which is the only way most conservatives can operate these days.

If you want people to stop thinking poorly of your region, stop voting in and supporting idiots. Because it is effecting my life way toooo much lately.

Voodoobillyman - 9-2-2005 at 01:37 PM

There is no reason to get your panties in a bunch over this, as I have stated before, both regions of the country have fucking morons in them, and no one is better than the other, unless it's wintertime, then the south wins:)

Killthehumans - 9-2-2005 at 02:14 PM

the one looting tvs and stuff is dumb, but i can under stand things like clothing and food. Whats realy maddening was the fact they new this would happen. THey knew the levys cant stand anything beyond a lvl3 huricane, yet these people had no help in evacuating before hand.