Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Do you give back?

CR83 - 10-27-2005 at 04:24 PM

Prompted by an earlier thread- Who here donates either their time or money to Charities and/or a Good Cause?

Personally I give money or goods to:

United Way
Catholic Charities
American Heart, Lung, Cancer and Diabetes Ass
Stray Rescue- Local Animal Schelter
Disable Veterans
Children's Hospital
Toys for Tots

I don't know why we pick those specifically but we do

xsharpx - 10-27-2005 at 04:39 PM

i donate the following

United Way -- 50 cents a paycheck

POW / MIA fund (responsible for bringing the remains and tracks down possible survivors that are / were POW's) -- $50 a year

I used to donate my time alot at the VA hospital talking to the survivors

XHonusWagnerX - 10-27-2005 at 04:43 PM

I give to toys for tots every year, but I dont donate regularly to any other charity. I try to give to people that I know that are in need.

moforn - 10-27-2005 at 06:49 PM

I've given one-time donations to the red cross in the wake of specific events before and give blood on a semi-regular basis (trying to get into a more regular habit). I'd encourage anyone able to do the same, it doesn't take much time and I've seen first hand how it can save lives.
I've been meaning to get around to making regular donations to Amnesty International. To paraphrase Billy Bragg I don't think of as charity as much as solidarity, supporting people to fighting against corruption and oppression to better their situation.
I've thought about giving some donations to organizations resisting the "Intelligent Design" lobby- fundamentalists determined to ban the teaching of evolution. It's more of an issue south of the border (George Bush has gone on record saying that "intelligent design"- ie: creationism- is more valid than natural selection/evolution), but they're trying to get a foothold up here as well. It might seem sort of silly but I find it very troubling that an entire generation could be taught superstition as science and be denied a real understanding of the natural world. Not to mention that the understanding of modern biology (which is founded on the theory of evolution) has led to far more lives being saved than faith healing ever will.

moron - 10-27-2005 at 07:33 PM

I sponsored a child in the Philippines through Children International.

Mrs. Moron used to give to lots of charities when she had a job.

moron - 10-27-2005 at 07:46 PM

I forgot that I donate to the Connecticut Special Olympics too.

RomanticViolence - 10-27-2005 at 09:59 PM

I work my ass off.
I work so hard that my whole body hurts at the end of the day.
I used to give money to charities.. before i had kids.
After the goverment takes what they want outta my check it goes to groceries and bills... the rest goes to my kids.
Once in a while i buy myself somthing :)

KyleOz - 10-27-2005 at 10:04 PM

Salvation Army

Discipline - 10-28-2005 at 01:30 AM

I'll be honest, I don't give shit back to the community. Fuck 'em all. What'd they ever do for me. The only thing I've ever given to is veterans. They earned my respect and devotion, everybody else can go fuck themselves.

Discipline - 10-28-2005 at 02:07 AM

very

Discipline - 10-28-2005 at 02:17 AM

Make them pay

Terror Aesthetic - 10-28-2005 at 02:24 AM

ive spent the last 20 years trying to help all of the miserable, psychotic assholes that have found me and become part of my life.

Discipline - 10-28-2005 at 02:25 AM

ahhhh

Voodoobillyman - 10-28-2005 at 08:34 AM

Virginia Special Olympics volunteer
SPCA volunteer
have volunteered for a halfway home for abused women and children in the past, not recently though.
donate to
Red cross
Kings Daughters hospital (children w/ cancer)
animal rights group
american Cancer society.

I dont look for recognition, just like to do it and have the time.

brooklyn - 10-29-2005 at 11:24 AM

how many charities are for real and not about themselves?

hollymaconmovies - 10-29-2005 at 07:47 PM

I work with various charities chosen by the school organizations I belong to. Also, a local battered women's shelter, the Red Cross, the MS Society, SPCA, Goodwill and random donations people sucker me into.

i dug up an old one

BDx13 - 7-26-2006 at 10:43 PM

you may recall i had been looking for a volunteer organization that helped with soldiers that were severely wounded in battle or families of soldiers who were killed in action. i haven't looked into any of these individually yet, but I found a nice list here:
http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/AmericaSupportsYou/trag_as...

also:
http://www.taps.org

godabandonedme - 7-26-2006 at 11:18 PM

I do enough at work. I'm a human garbage man for god's sake.

GabeTexasGAMC - 7-27-2006 at 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RomanticViolence
I work my ass off.
I work so hard that my whole body hurts at the end of the day.
I used to give money to charities.. before i had kids.
After the goverment takes what they want outta my check it goes to groceries and bills... the rest goes to my kids.
Once in a while i buy myself somthing :)

whoa! ditto!

XHonusWagnerX - 7-27-2006 at 10:17 AM

I give blood when I can (even though I hate it!).

I want to voulenter to work with mentaly handicapped people in my area, but I havent really looked into it yet.

SHAKO KEN - 7-27-2006 at 12:03 PM

the last 4 charities i joined were because they hired hot girls to go on the street and get people to donate. right now it's:
world wildlife fund
handicapped kids
sos children's villages
a refugee fund

i'm gonna cancel a couple soon and focus on nature preservation.

BDx13 - 7-27-2006 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHAKO KEN
the last 4 charities i joined were because they hired hot girls to go on the street and get people to donate.

yeah, that'll do it every time.

BKT - 7-27-2006 at 12:16 PM

Diabetes research.
Sick Childerns Hospital in Toronto.
Chidlerns Wish Foundation.

MM.

Discipline - 7-27-2006 at 03:58 PM

I still don't do much of anything to help anyone as I honestly have no interest in doing so.

barc0debaby - 7-27-2006 at 04:15 PM

I usually don't have enough to give, but I try to donate every now and then. Last donation was to the South Central Farm, which unfortunately seems to be doomed.

JawnDiablo - 7-27-2006 at 04:35 PM

i give old clothes to local charities
ive donated money here and there.
defnetly threw some cash in when local fire company was collecting funds for 9-11 stuff
there used to be alot of shows here back when i went to them that donated $$ to causes/ charitible interests.
of course fund raising for my sons school.
and whatever is going on for our local little league i always donate.

JawnDiablo - 7-27-2006 at 04:36 PM

oh, also i donate endless amounts of cask to the Dick Yuengling n sons and Jameson families....