Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Today's best Straight Edge bands?

BDx13 - 12-8-2005 at 12:05 AM

The past few months have been pretty challenging for me, so I've been listening to a lot of Uniform Choice to help keep my head up. Anyway, it got me wondering, who would you say is the best (not necessarily biggest) straight edge band today? I fucking love UC, and I'm looking for some equally inspiring music from one today's bands.

defstarsteve - 12-8-2005 at 12:10 AM

hmm....
oh yeah there are none,
everyone is just fucking hatedge anymore it seems
nothing inspiring just I'll kill you if you drink....
there are a bunch of youth crew jock kids out there trying, but it's all the same shit....
the edge has gone dull

tireironsaint - 12-8-2005 at 12:26 AM

Yeah, not much worth a shit, much less inspirational. I like R'N'R, but I don't know if they're even around anymore. I dunno if they'd fit the bill for you Duane, but you might check 'em out.

BDx13 - 12-8-2005 at 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Yeah, not much worth a shit, much less inspirational. I like R'N'R, but I don't know if they're even around anymore. I dunno if they'd fit the bill for you Duane, but you might check 'em out.

This? I kinda like the MP3 they have up, although the vocals don't really seem to go with the music. DO they have anything other than the B9 split?

SAAAAARS - 12-8-2005 at 12:35 AM

dtn
betrayed

tireironsaint - 12-8-2005 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG DUANE
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint

This? I kinda like the MP3 they have up, although the vocals don't really seem to go with the music. DO they have anything other than the B9 split?
Yep, that's them. They have a full length out on Manic Ride (I think), it should still be available at www.buycrime.com and it's really good. They do have a bit of a different thing goin' on, I think that's probably what you were noticing in the vocals. It's like fast Hard Core played by Thin Lizzy or old AC/DC, at least the stuff I have from them sounds like that. The vocals do take a little getting used to, but I like 'em a lot.

MyOwnWay - 12-8-2005 at 01:05 AM

Betrayed

ems - 12-8-2005 at 03:11 AM

check out the break in from the UK. I saw them live and they killed it.

http://www.myspace.com/thebreakin

not exactly for fans of uniform choice but a really good edgeband in my eyes and good dudes to boot.

JawnDiablo - 12-8-2005 at 06:47 AM

can't do it
alcohol is the only thing that evens me out at times
i couldnt even tell you who is straight edge these days

Voodoobillyman - 12-8-2005 at 09:52 AM

The only straight edge band I know of that I listen to is Converge? I would'nt call Jacob Bannon the most positive of writers though.

XHonusWagnerX - 12-8-2005 at 09:52 AM

Bands I can still get straight edge inspiration from...

Slapshot
Bane

That might be about it....

XHonusWagnerX - 12-8-2005 at 09:56 AM

Oh yeah.... I like drug test too, but they broke up recently.

I haven't heard betrayed yet but I would like to cheeck them out based on what I've heard about them. Plus aram is a cool guy.

Todd - 12-8-2005 at 10:52 AM

Hey Big Duane, try The Setup, from Belgium. Awesome guys, good musicians, and fairly positive. Very good.

CR83 - 12-8-2005 at 11:08 AM

I'm am so hooked on Stand and Fight. "I won't break" is an amazing song. Anyone have news on them?

Voodoobillyman - 12-8-2005 at 12:07 PM

oh yeah!!! Slapshot too:)

XHonusWagnerX - 12-8-2005 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
oh yeah!!! Slapshot too:)

Hell yah! I respect the old sxe guys more because once you 30+ the odds you will break edge are pretty slim.

I also like the stand & fight stuff I have heard, but I don't know much about them.

Some kind of hate .... Do they count?

serenity - 12-8-2005 at 12:58 PM

http://home.no.net/sxe/shipwrecked-werewolfattack.mp3 shipwrecked
http://www.crucialresponse.de/main/mp3/Enforcer_no-hearts-bu... enforcer

they dont "rep the edge" that hard, which makes them good straightedgebands

Discipline - 12-8-2005 at 01:43 PM

Edge is dead

But Slapshot still rule.

Spoiler - 12-8-2005 at 05:49 PM

I think one of the best positive straight edge band's who are still playing today is Stretch Armstrong....I don't own any of their albums,and I'm not a big fan of the style they play....but I have seen them live several times....and they are by far one of the best live acts I've seen...full of energy....and they have some great singalongs....the kids fuckin love these guy's. Their coming to town with H2O in a couple of weeks,I'll prolly be in the back drinkin' and smilin'.

confused13 - 12-8-2005 at 06:02 PM

never understood these attitudes. I'm not a worse or better guy just because i drink, smoke or take drugs (without disturbing others) or don't. Straight edge is a good idea but not for me. so dont judge me and i don't judge you.

tireironsaint - 12-8-2005 at 06:38 PM

Geeze, I always forget the obvious ones....Of course Slapshot needs to be on this list, I guess I just don't think of them as a "current straight edge band" for a bunch of reasons. Mostly because they're such a classic band, they don't hold the same bullshit ideologies as most straight edge bands and they don't suck.

And in response to confused13's post, people that sit around judging other people for their actions not meeting the standards they set are not straight edge, they're fucking assholes. Having the edge should be about a person's own priorities and personal choices. If you make it all about what everybody else does it's fucking stupid. Nobody can expect everyone in the world to follow the same beliefs and the same things don't work for everybody, so what's the point of trying to force your personal ideas on the whole world? This is why I hate the straight edge scene, it's filled with morons who think they're going to force the whole world to toe the line they've set up.

Spoiler - 12-8-2005 at 06:51 PM

Uppercut is my favorite sXe band ;)

Killthehumans - 12-8-2005 at 08:32 PM

hmm i like my revenge, slapshot,7 seconds,champion is ok...even though i am edge i hate when its all bands talk about...there are alot more interesting things to sing about

clevohardcore - 12-8-2005 at 11:58 PM

stretch armstrong is good. The last straightedge band I remember being into was FASTBREAK and FLOORPUNCH and EARTH CRISIS. KILL YOUR IDOLS is half straight edge I believe but they don't wave that flag around. Nothing comes close to U.C. or 7 SECONDS though.

Six66Mike - 12-9-2005 at 03:33 AM

CHAMPION! And I'm going to see them in a couple hours.

SAAAAARS - 12-9-2005 at 08:21 AM

fastbreak isn't really a band of today but god do i love that band.

Gooch - 12-9-2005 at 11:46 AM

THE FIRST STEP- The best band in hardcore the last 4 years.

One of the few bands today thats actually playing true 88 sytle posicore. I'm sure a lot of people on here probably haven't even heard of them. They've only released 2 demos and a 7" so far, but they have a Lp coming out very soon. Its was supposed to be on Livewire, then it changed to EVR, but I heard they aren't releasing it now either. Either way, its recorded and ready to go. By the way, Walter from GB produced it. I heard a rough mix and I already know its the best straight edge record this decade.

Other good sxe bands today...

Triple Threat
Damage Control
Righteous Jams
Fired Up
Justice
My Revenge- Thorp's own
Betrayed
Breakthrough
A Step Apart

XHonusWagnerX - 12-9-2005 at 12:48 PM

are Jaguarz a straight edge band? I love that demo. Its so silly in an early GB kinda way.

Gooch - 12-9-2005 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
are Jaguarz a straight edge band? I love that demo. Its so silly in an early GB kinda way.

I think they were at the time, but I think some of the dudes broke edge since. They aren't a band anymore anyways, so it doesn't matter.

That demo is pretty decent.

clevohardcore - 12-9-2005 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SAAAAARS
fastbreak isn't really a band of today but god do i love that band.

I know but thats is really the last band I remember liking that was straightedge. Maybe I'm out of it but whatever. I had no idea MY REVENGE was. They are great.

SAAAAARS - 12-9-2005 at 01:59 PM

aaagh i COMPLEEEEEEETELY forgot about the first step.

JawnDiablo - 12-9-2005 at 08:25 PM

pantera was a great straight edge band

serenity - 12-10-2005 at 09:25 AM

blue eyed devils. yes, they are straightedge.