Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Has anyone on here read Atlas Shrugged?

GOLD GRILL - 1-8-2006 at 08:54 AM

I'm really diggin it. It' pretty much the opposite ideology of Ishmael, or any other Daniel Quinn book. Post what you think about Ann Rand's philosophy. America, FUCK YEAH.

Killthehumans - 1-8-2006 at 08:29 PM

i like some of her ideas, she draws on both the ideas of both "liberal" and "conservative" ideologies. What i do like about her is she believes in reason and logic rather than the follow the leader mentality. What i dont like about her is idea of the idea of the "heroic" individaul. She defend industrialists as great men at the top, but the fact is and this still applies today is that the CEO of a company in my opinion aint that great. They are nothing with out the workers who actually do th grunt work and the scientists and engineers who ahve the ingenuity to make progress possible.

GOLD GRILL - 1-9-2006 at 08:34 AM

I believe that what you are saying is true; however, the idea that I took from the book is that , regardless of position, there is potential for good and bad. An example of this is the CEO's. In the book, there are heroic industrialists (Dagny Taggard, Hank Rearden) who are heroic not because of there status, but because of their hard work and achievements. There are also sorry ass, fat cat CEO's (James Taggard and his boys) who are failures not because of their positions, but because of their cowardice and excuses. Rand does the same to portray the good and bad of labor unions, labors, engineers, scientist, and others as well. The only thing that troubled me about the book is that the heros all seem to be TOTALLY lacking in any aspect of the human condition. I mean really, I knew that Dagny was going to end up bangin hank as soon as she met him. But she sees it as a big surprise because she is "too busy" to feel emotions. Bitch PLEASE!