Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Springsteen fans

Discipline - 1-11-2006 at 07:04 PM

Can anybody recommend a good compilation or greatest hits package by Bruce Springsteen. I'm looking for a good career spanning collection but there seems to be a lot of stuff out there, at least on ebay.

JawnDiablo - 1-11-2006 at 10:00 PM

for one thing i heard the ghost of tom joad was good..which is kinda new
stuff from the 70s
dude has alot of material out there
i heard this punk band play a cover of born to run and it was awesome...

clevohardcore - 1-12-2006 at 12:19 AM

I got THE ESSENTIALS cd of Bruce Springsteen but I want to get that huge box set he has from about 2 years ago. That one has a ton of his stuff.

newbreedbrian - 1-12-2006 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
for one thing i heard the ghost of tom joad was good..which is kinda new
stuff from the 70s
dude has alot of material out there
i heard this punk band play a cover of born to run and it was awesome...

greatest hits are for little girls and old women :P

get born to run for the more rockin stuff, nebraska for the more mellow stuff. both amazing albums front to back

brooklyn - 1-12-2006 at 01:58 AM

the box set from 2 years ago is the best stuff if ya want to have his career compiled.

Discipline - 1-12-2006 at 12:25 PM

Thanks.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-14-2006 at 12:04 PM

Hes got a whole channel on Sirius!

Todd - 1-15-2006 at 06:02 PM

try the live album for a nice cross section

Mark Lind - 1-15-2006 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Can anybody recommend a good compilation or greatest hits package by Bruce Springsteen. I'm looking for a good career spanning collection but there seems to be a lot of stuff out there, at least on ebay.

If you ABSOLUTELY must get a collection then get the Essential CD. It has about 2-3 songs from every album but please keep in mind that you're gonna get the songs that appeal to every office worker and garbage man in the US. What really makes Bruce amazing is his deep album cuts. I'd honestly recommend that you drop the money and just get "Darkness on the Edge of Town", "Born to Run" and "Devils and Dust" to get a good idea of what he can do. Then if you like those get "Born in the USA" (a pop materpiece), "The Rising", "Tunnel of Love", "Greetings From Asbury Park" and "Nebraska".

If you're hellbent on getting a sampling then either The Essential or Live in NYC. Don't get the box set he did a few years ago unless you're a converted fan. It is 4 CD's worth of songs he excluded from his records. Some of them are as good or better than songs on his albums but I wouldn't recommend is as an introductory release.

The Ghost of Tom Joad is one of his 3 acoustic or semi-acoustic folk type albums along with "Nebraska" and "Devils and Dust". Personally I think Tom Joad is the worst of the 3. Plus it came out in 1995 before he found his muse again.

Feel free to keep the Bruce dialog going because I could type about him until my fingers go numb.