Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

hooligan culture

gavin - 2-13-2006 at 09:32 PM

who follows any of it?
i have read a ton of books
anyone recomend something i may not have read
like i said, i have read alot of the books on the subject but im always looking for something i may not know of

also, any good movies i may not know about that youz can hip me to would be wonderful

soccer shit we are talking
so some of youz not in the know will indeed know

dig it mamas,
geoffrey p gavin

Voodoobillyman - 2-14-2006 at 09:23 AM

if you havent seen it yet Geoff, check out Football Factory, very cool movie with all kinds of cockney english hooliganism abound.

XHonusWagnerX - 2-14-2006 at 10:00 AM

I know little to nothing about Hooliganism, but I can recomend the 2nd Stars and Stripes record "One Man Army" if you havent heard it. Lots of talk about pubs & soccer.

BKT - 2-14-2006 at 12:04 PM

Watch Green St. Hooligans as well, another good hoolagin movie.

MM.

upyerbum - 2-14-2006 at 12:13 PM

There's a computer game called Hooligans where you take your mob across Europe trashing everything. Its fun.

serenity - 2-14-2006 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by metal mulisha
Watch Green St. Hooligans as well, another good hoolagin movie.

MM.

that movie is terrible. so americanized.

the life of a casual is also alot more than just drinking beer and listening to skinhead music...

gavin - 2-14-2006 at 02:17 PM

saw football factory
thought it was pretty good
havent seen green street yet

DeathByForce - 2-14-2006 at 03:18 PM

I thought Green Street and Football Factory were both pretty well done.

JawnDiablo - 2-14-2006 at 06:14 PM

i dont even know what you guys are talking about
fill me in

gavin - 2-14-2006 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
i dont even know what you guys are talking about
fill me in

soccer hooligans in europe
crazy shit
im only really interested in england though

ill hip ya more next time we talk if ya want

DaveMoral - 2-14-2006 at 06:39 PM

Hooligans, the culture of team supporters who get in fights with other team's supporters and just generally cause a ruckus.

Technically speaking, Philly is no stranger to this sort of thing. Philly's pretty notorious for it's own brand of hooliganism.

gavin - 2-14-2006 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Hooligans, the culture of team supporters who get in fights with other team's supporters and just generally cause a ruckus.

Technically speaking, Philly is no stranger to this sort of thing. Philly's pretty notorious for it's own brand of hooliganism.

true
but its so different there
its like passed down from generations ago
thats one of the fascinating parts to me

typing while holding a baby is hard

DaveMoral - 2-14-2006 at 09:47 PM

Oh yeah, hooliganism is definitely a generation organized thing... it is pretty fascinating. I should look into it more. I just remember reading this article from the Guardian that was talking about how Americans think the British are such violent hooligans and then the author cited incidents at Eagles games.

I'll have to put the above movies into my Netflix queue if they have them.

JawnDiablo - 2-15-2006 at 12:14 AM

this sounds intersting
i work closely with people who are from Ireland
some of these fuckers, when it comes to soccer matches and new castle, make the worst philadelphia eagles fans pale in comparison...my ex (sons mom) bartends in an irish pub here in UD, and on the days where the soccer matches are televised them dudes are drinkin at 7 Am and fighting one another arguing over whos team is better and to fuck off and such....then again maybe this isnt what yer talkin bout...i havent slept well in days...

DaveMoral - 2-15-2006 at 12:21 AM

Oh, that's definitely part of it juan. It just get's crazier, I'm sure you've heard about the riots and burning stadiums and what not.

newbreedbrian - 2-15-2006 at 12:43 AM

football factory was really good. i enjoyed green street for what it was, some decent violence in there. i'm assuming you've read some of the ST publishing stuff and the old richard allen books.

gavin - 2-15-2006 at 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
football factory was really good. i enjoyed green street for what it was, some decent violence in there. i'm assuming you've read some of the ST publishing stuff and the old richard allen books.

i never read the richard allen stuff cuz i dont like fiction at all
what's some of the books on ST publishing?

upyerbum - 2-15-2006 at 08:56 AM

I went to a match in Bath. They certainly get into it.
Soccer just bores the fuck out of me. Hit someone for fucks sake.

Voodoobillyman - 2-15-2006 at 10:41 AM

Real Sports with Bryant gumble had a cool episode about racism within the football (soccer) culture and it focused on alot of the different hooligan clubs. The shit they do is completely outrageous, they are some of the craziest fuckers to walk the earth fo sho.

newbreedbrian - 2-15-2006 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian

i never read the richard allen stuff cuz i dont like fiction at all
what's some of the books on ST publishing?

for ST stuff, try "Casual", "Saturdays Heroes", or "A Boys Story"

serGGu - 2-22-2006 at 12:36 PM

I heard that in France they burn cars hundreds of thousands of 'em in a year, mostly after football matches....