Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

How much do you tip tattoo artists?

BDx13 - 6-14-2006 at 11:53 AM

A friend of a friend is paying $800 for a half-sleeve. What would you tip for something like that? How much have you tipped for your pieces in the past?

XHonusWagnerX - 6-14-2006 at 12:00 PM

I had NO clue what to tip because Im very new to the tattoo world. My first piece was 5 sessions. I gave him the exact ammount he wanted each time until it was done. At the end of the last session I gave him a tip of $70. I thought that was rather high, but I did it because he had given me money off and one session for free because he canceled some apointments. So basicly the piece was $350 and I gave him $70 as a tip. This was for my first tattoo, the 2 girls from the Strangers in Paradise comic.

For the Slapshot mask it was 3 sessions the first 2 sessions he said $100 each and thats what I gave him. At the end of the 3rd session he said $125 and I gave him all that I had with me, which was $140. I thought it would only be another $100 so I was a little short, but I dont think thats TO bad of a tip.

Maybe I can learn if I did well or not based on some answers from the more experieiced tattooed people on the board!

newbreedbrian - 6-14-2006 at 12:14 PM

depends on the situation (how many hours, who it is, price, etc). don't think i've ever given less than $25 or more than $40

XnMeX - 6-14-2006 at 12:22 PM

For my first tattoo I had no idea that you were to tip the artist. Good thing my girl was smart enoguh to know. I can't remember how much the tips were since I didn't pay for either of my tats.

serenity - 6-14-2006 at 12:42 PM

the thoughts here on tipping your artist is not the same as in the states. i asked a couple of people, and they said that they never tips. they say that spreading the word is tipping enough.

upyerbum - 6-14-2006 at 12:42 PM

I've never tipped a tattoo artist. Is this some sort of American etiquette thing? cuz I've never heard of anyone tipping an artist.

serenity - 6-14-2006 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
I've never tipped a tattoo artist. Is this some sort of American etiquette thing? cuz I've never heard of anyone tipping an artist.

exactly what i meant, just summed up better

Voodoobillyman - 6-14-2006 at 01:05 PM

I ususally tip 20 bucks a sitting.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-14-2006 at 01:07 PM

Yah the people of the United States have some how become guilted into tipping just about everyone. I think that we do it to ourselves because no one really knows when its expected.

I look at a tip as being for someone that goes above and beyond. I was very happy with my tattoo experiences so I tiped what I felt was well. If I was uphappy with the first I wouldnt have tipped at all and I wouldnt have gone back.

The only reason I always tip (even if its very small) in a resturaunt is because I dont want to worry about being remembered and having someone spit in my food.

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 02:07 PM

i get tattooed for free but working in a shop i know that while its not expected, its always nice to tip, esp. if its someone you go to many times over
$20 a sitting is a good call

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 6-14-2006 at 02:49 PM

In America these days, every fuckin body wants a tip, it's ridculous. But the reason for tipping the artist, for you guys overseas, is that the artist has to pay a percentage of the cost of the tattoo to the shop. The tip is extra for the artist to keep for himself. The question I have is do you still tip if your artist owns the shop and isn't paying out to anyone? Where I get tattooed, it's 2 brothers that own everything and are the only 2 artists there. My mom said the fruit that does her hair owns the shop so she doesn't tip the guy.

tireironsaint - 6-14-2006 at 02:50 PM

Always tip. I don't care if it's a waitress or a tattoo artist, tipping is important. Most people working in restaurants depend on tips as part of their wages, if you think it's wrong to tip, don't go out to eat. I've known restaurant owners who actually withhold taxes from the wait staff's pay based on an assumed general tip amount. Granted, if I get bad service or something, it WILL be reflected in the tip. I've dated enough waitresses to know how important tips are and to understand tipping as a means of communication. Leaving a tip of a dime is MUCH more insulting than not tipping at all. It shows that you were not happy and that you made a conscious decision to send a message. If you don't tip at all, it's assumed that either you forgot or are just a cheap bastard.

As far as tattoo artists, I always try to give some kind of tip at every session. I don't think I've ever tipped less than 20% of the price I'm quoted for the session and if I couldn't make it that much for that session, I make up for it on the next one. Like most self-employed people, the majority of tattoo artists have no insurance or other benefits that most of us in the regular working world get from our employers. The least you can do for someone who is permanently altering you is to try to keep them happy.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 6-14-2006 at 02:59 PM

who said tipping is bad when it's deserved? I'm talking about bullshit like tipping people who pump your gas, or tipping your mailman at Christmas, or the garbage man, or tipping the cashier at a pizza place who didn't do shit other than ringing the pizza up and putting it in a box. When it's deserved I always tip nicely.

upyerbum - 6-14-2006 at 03:05 PM

I'm by no means a cheap bastard, I tip generously where its expected. Wait staff and bartenders, as you said, are paid minimum wage and depend on gratuities, and hustle their asses off to get them. But tipping an artist is just not something that's done or expected up here. Not in the circles I move in at any rate. If a guy gave me a really kick-ass piece or went above and beyond my expectations I would be inclined to give him some extra cash but I don't know if I consider it a tip.

Jason the Magnificent - 6-14-2006 at 06:20 PM

I have 2 full sleeves and have never tipped for a tattoo. I'm not cheap...I tip like 20% at restaurants when the service deems it because they work for reduced wages because tipping is a part of their salary.

Tattoo artists are not working for low wages. They make more than enough money. My return service and recommendations should be more than enough acknowledgement of their work. When they have my artwork ready on time and I don;t have to wait around because they overbook I'll maybe consider it...but I know thats never going to happen so I'm not too concerned.

Juice is right about the tipping everywhere...I like how everywhere on earth you go, from dunkin donuts to starbucks theres tip cups out...give me a break.

Discipline - 6-14-2006 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
I have 2 full sleeves and have never tipped for a tattoo. I'm not cheap...I tip like 20% at restaurants when the service deems it because they work for reduced wages because tipping is a part of their salary.

Tattoo artists are not working for low wages. They make more than enough money. My return service and recommendations should be more than enough acknowledgement of their work. When they have my artwork ready on time and I don;t have to wait around because they overbook I'll maybe consider it...but I know thats never going to happen so I'm not too concerned.

Juice is right about the tipping everywhere...I like how everywhere on earth you go, from dunkin donuts to starbucks theres tip cups out...give me a break.

they are providing a serive to you that you can not do for yourself
that in and of itself is enough reason to tip

but hey, do what ya like

DaveMoral - 6-14-2006 at 07:01 PM

It's been so long since I got work done I can't even remember. Usually 20 though.

I wish I would get tipped more often by some of these uber rich people whose houses I'm beautifying... They pay my boss something like 300 per man-day, I see 175 of that. When you've got movie screens that descend from your 25 ft ceiling you can afford to throw a little something my way!

XHonusWagnerX - 6-14-2006 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

I agree with both of you to some extent, but I do think that it has gotten a little out of hand. Why tip at Dunkin Donuts, but not at McDonalds?

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

I agree with both of you to some extent, but I do think that it has gotten a little out of hand. Why tip at Dunkin Donuts, but not at McDonalds?

cuz dunkin donuts rulez and mcdonalds is fucked

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 6-14-2006 at 07:20 PM

tip jars for some touring band's buttfucker merch guy irritate the shit outta me.

BDx13 - 6-14-2006 at 07:37 PM

when it comes to eating, i only tip for sit-down service or delivery. dunkin', mcd's, starbucks, and the like, even pick-up restaurants, get no tip.

i've hired a company to help me move twice. both times, i gave half of a big tip up front, bought lunch, then delivered the second half upon completion. i want those dudes to know up front i'm serious about them taking care of my shit.

if you live in a doorman building in NYC, it is imperative that you tip the staff at the end of the year (part of the reason why i never lived in one). if you don't, services begin slowing down all around you. and in the bigger buildings, this can run you $300+ a year by the time you cover the doormen, front desk staff, maintenance, and management.

BDx13 - 6-14-2006 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
tip jars for some touring band's buttfucker merch guy irritate the shit outta me.

oooh, i've never seen that.
i rarely go to shows any more, but when i do, i always try to buy some merch. that shit goes a long way when a band is on the road.

BDx13 - 6-14-2006 at 07:51 PM

as for tattoo artists...

the vast majority of my work was done by one of my closest friends, and he's never accepted cash from me. i've taken him and his girl out to the occasional nice dinner, even bought him a plane ticket to come to my bachelor party in vegas, but he's never taken cash. plus, i've set him up with at least 50 other paying customers over the years. when i was still in school, he'd come down twice a year with a piercer and work on college kids i lined up all weekend.

other than him... Bugs at Evil From The Needle had tea and sandwhiches brought up for us during my sessions, so that earned a fat tip! (cause you all know i like to eat!)

Jason the Magnificent - 6-14-2006 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

Theyre being paid to do it. Thats why I'm not doing it myself. I'm already paying them to do it.

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

but hey, do what ya like

Theyre being paid to do it. Thats why I'm not doing it myself. I'm already paying them to do it.

whatever man
do what ya like
its nice to tip is all im saying
if ya dont, whatever

JawnDiablo - 6-14-2006 at 08:14 PM

i paid for most of my ink with stolen merchandise back in the day. that was a long time ago when i was a rotten kid. i would tip if i were to get some new drills. in fact im tryin to think up what i want . i have some old bad crap i want covered.

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
i paid for most of my ink with stolen merchandise back in the day. that was a long time ago when i was a rotten kid. i would tip if i were to get some new drills. in fact im tryin to think up what i want . i have some old bad crap i want covered.

im in the middle of getting old bad crap covered up right now

JawnDiablo - 6-14-2006 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

do you have your elbows done yet?
if so any problems with the healing?
ive heard people say theyve had problems with that. the crap i want covered is right above my left elbow . was thinging about something that covered that and the elbow down onto the back of my fore arm. thing is it'd have to be real dark

JawnDiablo - 6-14-2006 at 08:42 PM

seeing the quality work these days makes me wish i never got half the ink i have. i was in my late teens and didnt think id live to see 25 though. too many dumb skulls and shit. so metal.

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ive heard people say theyve had problems with that. the crap i want covered is right above my left elbow . was thinging about something that covered that and the elbow down onto the back of my fore arm. thing is it'd have to be real dark

yeah
i got most of my right forearm covered
now im in the middle of covering most of my upper right arm
no problems healing at all
been doing some "secret" healing crap that works really well

send me a picture of what ya want covered bro
id like to see it

XHonusWagnerX - 6-14-2006 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah
i got most of my right forearm covered
now im in the middle of covering most of my upper right arm
no problems healing at all
been doing some "secret" healing crap that works really well

send me a picture of what ya want covered bro
id like to see it

whats the healing secret??

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 08:55 PM

1.hot water trick-this shit hurts though. i only did it once but it worked.
2. plasitc wrap-after you get the tattoo and wash it off and all that, the first 3 nights while you sleep, ya wrap it in plastic wrap. this has helped my healing 100%. no scabs. just peals off. my neck healed so well from this. its one of the brightest tattoos i have ever seen and i think it is largly in part to it healing so well.

JawnDiablo - 6-14-2006 at 08:58 PM

i plastic wrapped once. it worked nicely

gavin - 6-14-2006 at 08:59 PM

did the plastic wrap on my knees when i got them done
i thought they would heal like shit
wrapped them for 4 nights
shit pealed off and was pretty much healed in a week

JawnDiablo - 6-14-2006 at 09:07 PM

the knees must hurt like a bitch, as well as the elbow tip

newbreedbrian - 6-14-2006 at 11:10 PM

elbow definately hurt across the tip but i was prepared for it to be worse than it was. i might be more inclined towards tipping cause i've worked in the service industry for the the last 11 years. remember that usually a waiter is paying a percentage of their tips (therefore their sales) to the rest of the back kitchen staff as well. so you when a cheap douchebag stiffs them, it now cost them money to wait on the table. for tattoos, i think it's a personal decision. i choose to, since i'm trusting them to put something on my arm that we'll both be proud of. and often times, they'll work with you on a design that you want. the last one i got when i was home for xmas a couple years ago. a friend opened up his shop on boxing day just so he could fit me into a really busy schedule before i went home. i hooked him up with a decent tip as i really appreciated it.

Bigmessy - 6-14-2006 at 11:51 PM

man, i always tip 30-40 bucks when getting a decent amount of work done. The way i look at it is its staying on you forwver, i have a few guys around the country i always go back to, they become your boys... i want them to be happy to see me, and happy to work on me...

I also have learned to talk with them first to see how amped on doing a peice they are before committing to it... shit usually comes out much better when the artist is interested in doing the art.

only 2 professions i enjoy tipping..... bartenders and tattoo artists..... they both keep me happy...and i like to let them know...

sinister - 6-21-2006 at 12:33 PM

I guess it must be a US thing, I've offered my regular guy a tip before and he's refused it... so now I just take him a bottle occasionally, and always drop him in something at christmas even if I don't have a session booked around then.

I just had the back of my knee done and it really wasn't as bad as I expected... in a few places it was bitch but mostly it wasn't bad at all. Same around the elbow, a few tender spots but overall nothing to worry about.

godabandonedme - 6-21-2006 at 12:54 PM

I think I've tipped for almost all of my ink. I think it's just a nice jesture I guess. My last peice on my leg (Sheer Terror's "love songs for the unloved" cover but "just can't hate enough" in the banner) my girlfriend had originally gave me a 100 dollar gift certificate (cheap bitch) which means that usually half goes to the shop half to the artist, the artist wouldn't be getting that 50 dollars because the cash was tendered months before. Anyway, in the end he dropped the price like 40 bucks so I threw an extra forty at him cause it was a great job. Plus, I don't want to go back to him and have him not siked on doing more work. Face it, the green rules all, and if you tip whatever you can the artist will notice and be more inclined to try and do the best they can everytime you return.

Also, can anyone find me a shitload of elbow spider web tats or flash? I'm looking to get mine done soon and want to get the perfect idea of what I want. Thanks.

godabandonedme - 6-22-2006 at 12:26 AM

Bump. Help.

gavin - 6-22-2006 at 01:37 AM

where in philly do you get tattooed?

godabandonedme - 6-22-2006 at 11:28 AM

I've tried a few places, but my last one (check previous post) I got done at Cadillac on Rising Sun. I've seen some real good work from Olde City on 2nd street so I might go there this time.

gavin - 6-22-2006 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by godabandonedme
I've tried a few places, but my last one (check previous post) I got done at Cadillac on Rising Sun. I've seen some real good work from Olde City on 2nd street so I might go there this time.

dont go back to cadillac on rising sun
trust me
olde city is real good
or go to jackie brown on 4th street right off of south
no ka oi tattoo
right next to relapse records
she is one of the best tattooers in the city in my opinion

godabandonedme - 6-22-2006 at 11:41 AM

Thanks, I'll look her up. Why no more Cadillac?

gavin - 6-22-2006 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look her up. Why no more Cadillac?

kadillac in manyunk is cool
thats my boy cosmos shop
he used to be partners with the guy on rising sun
just know a ton of shit about that dude and would never tell someone to go to him

godabandonedme - 6-22-2006 at 11:47 AM

Oh ok. I don't think the owner did me, a guy named scott I believe, nice guy great work. I looked at NoKaOi Tattoo they do real nice work. I'd like to get my elbow web'd then the rest of my arm but I haven't decided what I want for that. I always thought about getting something like the "war in heaven" for my sleeve but never had it drawn up.

sinister - 6-22-2006 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Also, can anyone find me a shitload of elbow spider web tats or flash?

For tat pics BME is great, check out the galleries @

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/bme-tatt.html

for spider web stuff I reckon the "old school" gallery would be a good place to start.

godabandonedme - 6-22-2006 at 12:50 PM

word thanks.

barc0debaby - 6-22-2006 at 02:56 PM

BME has a limit on what you can view, but if you send in a picture of your ink you get a free general membership.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-22-2006 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
BME has a limit on what you can view, but if you send in a picture of your ink you get a free general membership.

what do you have to send to get a full membership?

barc0debaby - 6-22-2006 at 07:06 PM

Membership lengths and types vary depending on what you submitt. Generally more gnarly pictures (i.e. genital piercings, suspension, heavy body modifications) will get you a longer membership, with access to more of the site. The memberships range from 1-12 months, and submitting new pictures will extend the membership. I usually get a month or two each time I put something new up.