Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Regional Foods to your area...

XHonusWagnerX - 7-8-2006 at 08:32 PM

RHODE ISLAND HAS A LOT OF THEM!

"DYNAMITES":
A dynamite is a sandwich consisting of fried hamburger, peppers, onions, tomato sauce, and crushed red pepper, served on a torpedo roll. It's mostly a make-at-home kind of thing, like sloppy joes, but they can also be found at fairs, festivals, and a few eateries in Woonsocket, RI.

"AWFUL AWFUL?":
A drink made from flavored syrup, milk, and ice milk. Served only at Newport Creamery resturants.

"CLAM CAKES":
Clam cakes are deep-fried dough mixed with chopped clams. A stuffed clam (or "stuffie") is bread stuffing (bread crumbs, onions, spices) mixed with chopped clams and baked in a clam shell. Rhode Island clear chowder is an anemic broth made from clams, potatoes, bacon, onions, herbs, and spices, which is commonly mistaken for the dishwater that comes from cleaning up after New England clam chowder.

"COFFEE MILK":
Milk mixed with coffee syrup. It's the Rhode Island state drink.

"FROZEN LEMONADE":
Granulated ice flavored with lemons and sugar. The best part of summer. Dells is the best and really the only brand of frozen lemonade that matters.

"WIENERS":
Small hot dogs with a natural casing, slathered in mustard, meat sauce, chopped onions, and celery salt, and served in a steamed bun. Finding inconsistent spellings of "wiener" is part of the fun! Also known as "Gaggas" (pronounced Gaggers).

"PIZZA STRIPS":
Rectangular slices of crust slathered with spicy pizza sauce. They have no cheese and are properly served at room temperature. Also known as "Bakery Pizza".

"JOHNNY CAKES":
Pancake-like disks made specifically from Rhode Island ground white flint corn. Asphalt roofing tiles, just like the settlers ate.

JawnDiablo - 7-8-2006 at 08:45 PM

cheese steaks
scrapple
pork roll
soft pretzels
yuengling

XnMeX - 7-8-2006 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
RHODE ISLAND HAS A LOT OF THEM!

"WIENERS":
Small hot dogs with a natural casing, slathered in mustard, meat sauce, chopped onions, and celery salt, and served in a steamed bun. Finding inconsistent spellings of "wiener" is part of the fun! Also known as "Gaggas" (pronounced Gaggers).

I miss me some wieners... wait, does that sound gay?

XHonusWagnerX - 7-9-2006 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
cheese steaks
scrapple
pork roll
soft pretzels
yuengling

we have soft pretzels around here too.

Scrapple is just all the left over crap from a pig pressed into a 'meat' like spam right? Whats the difference between scrapple and pork roll?

Whats yuengling?

Six66Mike - 7-9-2006 at 08:57 AM

Ketchup Chips. I've only really seen them in Ontario & Quebec.

I miss them.

upyerbum - 7-9-2006 at 09:06 AM

Ketchup chips are an Eastern Canadian staple as well.
And the mighty Donair.
and a large Tim Horton's coffee.
Being on the coast we have all the expected seafood dishes.
There is an Acadian dish called Rappi pie, I personally think its the foulest thing I've ever tasted.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-9-2006 at 09:08 AM

DYNAMITES

AWFUL AWFUL

CLAM CAKES

COFFEE MILK (syrup)

DELLS LEMONADE

WEINERS

PIZZA STRIPS (bakery pizza)

JOHNNY CAKES

XHonusWagnerX - 7-9-2006 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum

the mighty Donair.

Whats that?? we need more explinations people!

We have Tim Hortens here too.

What about Poutine? Ive had it once and it was awesome!

SAAAAARS - 7-9-2006 at 09:36 AM

all i have is lobster.

Discipline - 7-9-2006 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

the mighty Donair.

Poutine rules, but to get real poutine you have to go to Montreal. Most places in Ontarion and other provinces just use gravy and sometimes shredded sheese on the fries. For real poutine, you have to use cheese curds and poutine sauce. It's like gravy but it's not gravy, it's just called poutine sause.

I love going to Montreal. Great city to party in with great food. Poutine, Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, and steamed hot dogs. Nothing better.

DeathByForce - 7-9-2006 at 03:09 PM

Dammit! I need to go back to montreal :mad:

JawnDiablo - 7-9-2006 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
cheese steaks
scrapple
pork roll
soft pretzels
yuengling

we have soft pretzels around here too.

Scrapple is just all the left over crap from a pig pressed into a 'meat' like spam right? Whats the difference between scrapple and pork roll?

Whats yuengling?

you may have super pretzels, but real south philly soft pretzels is another thing.
pork roll is more of a bastardised ham
scrapple is pig guts and corn starch yummy\
yuengling is the beer of choice in this area.

JawnDiablo - 7-9-2006 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ketchup chips are an Eastern Canadian staple as well.
And the mighty Donair.
and a large Tim Horton's coffee.
Being on the coast we have all the expected seafood dishes.
There is an Acadian dish called Rappi pie, I personally think its the foulest thing I've ever tasted.

tim hortons coffee is awesome

Kid Ugly - 7-9-2006 at 05:30 PM

Taylor Ham is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-9-2006 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly

Artie on Howard Stern was talking about his 'Taylor ham & egg sandwich' one day last week. Its like a pork roll type of thing right? Sounds good!

RomanticViolence - 7-9-2006 at 06:02 PM

Maryland steamed crabs.
Scrapple
Chipped beef gravy with toast, bisquits or fried potatoes. (baltimore)
Muddy water chicken (more of a eastern shore thing)

sinister - 7-9-2006 at 06:11 PM

Haggis:

Scotch dumpling:

Deep fried mars bar:

Discipline - 7-9-2006 at 06:55 PM

There's a place by me that serves deep fried Mars bars but that just sounds too disgusting even for me to eat.

Always wanted to try haggis though.

moforn - 7-9-2006 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

the mighty Donair.

A donair's slices of spiced beef rolled up in a pita with onions and tomato, the real distinguishing feature is the sauce which I think is made from powdered milk and sugar- it's better than it sounds. It's sort of like a greek gyro except with beef instead of lamb and donair sauce instead of tzatziki. Don't let the sauce put you off, try one after a night of drinking and you'll be hooked for life.
A new favorite of mine is pickled herring (salomon gundy), picked fish that goes down like candy, I don't know how regional it is but all the stuff available here comes from the south shore of Nova Scotia.

sinister - 7-9-2006 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
There's a place by me that serves deep fried Mars bars

Wow, i'm impressed that there's someone else apart from the heart attack capital of the world (glasgow) that sells that shit. :D

Quote:

Always wanted to try haggis though.

Believe me, the only cool thing about haggis is it's name.

Kid Ugly - 7-9-2006 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly

Artie on Howard Stern was talking about his 'Taylor ham & egg sandwich' one day last week. Its like a pork roll type of thing right? Sounds good!

It sounds good, but keep in mind that there's a reason that Artie is the way he is. I don't touch the stuff, I'm trying to prevent a heart attack.

Six66Mike - 7-9-2006 at 08:25 PM

I miss chocolate glazed donuts from Tim's. There's only Donut King here, $2.50 for a fucking Long John :( Atleast they sell em though, Timmy's stopped making them in Ontario years ago.

I heard Tim's doesn't bake fresh anymore, they bring in frozen donuts and just heat them up. So gay.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-9-2006 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moforn
Quote:
Quote:

the mighty Donair.

A donair's slices of spiced beef rolled up in a pita with onions and tomato, the real distinguishing feature is the sauce which I think is made from powdered milk and sugar- it's better than it sounds. It's sort of like a greek gyro except with beef instead of lamb and donair sauce instead of tzatziki. Don't let the sauce put you off, try one after a night of drinking and you'll be hooked for life.
A new favorite of mine is pickled herring (salomon gundy), picked fish that goes down like candy, I don't know how regional it is but all the stuff available here comes from the south shore of Nova Scotia.

is that the same thing is a DONAR KABOP?

JUICE MAYNE MSHC - 7-9-2006 at 11:30 PM

Voodoobillyman - 7-10-2006 at 09:01 AM

We have Virginia ham, which is supposed to be some of the best and peanuts. The area is big on blue crab too, which is really good, but not as good as Lobster from my born and raised home of Maine.

DAK - 7-10-2006 at 10:37 AM

Tex-mex.

JawnDiablo - 7-10-2006 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC

oh man this looks slammin

the best part about going to visit my brother in austin texas was the food.

Discipline - 7-10-2006 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sinister
Quote:
There's a place by me that serves deep fried Mars bars

Wow, i'm impressed that there's someone else apart from the heart attack capital of the world (glasgow) that sells that shit. :D

You name a type of food, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll find it somewhere in Toronto. We are known as the most multicultural city in the world.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-10-2006 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the mighty Donair.

Poutine rules, but to get real poutine you have to go to Montreal. Most places in Ontarion and other provinces just use gravy and sometimes shredded sheese on the fries. For real poutine, you have to use cheese curds and poutine sauce. It's like gravy but it's not gravy, it's just called poutine sause.

I love going to Montreal. Great city to party in with great food. Poutine, Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, and steamed hot dogs. Nothing better.

I never had real poutine. I just had it when one of my friends fathers made it YEARS ago. I know he used gravy not the actual sauce and Im not sure what he did for the cheese. It was still great though, but I would love to try the real thing!

thedog - 7-10-2006 at 09:25 PM

pork roll

tireironsaint - 7-10-2006 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
Tex-mex.
One of the things I miss most about Texas is Tex-Mex. Mexican restaurants are just not the same and Colorado (at least this area) seems to be mostly New Mexico style, which is horrible.

DaveMoral - 7-10-2006 at 09:57 PM

Philly guys... don't forget.... wooder. Haha.

And vegan cheesesteaks.

JawnDiablo - 7-11-2006 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

And vegan cheesesteaks.

wooder?
is this the philly pronounciation of water?

XHonusWagnerX - 7-11-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And vegan cheesesteaks.

wooder?
is this the philly pronounciation of water?

yah... what Wooder?

MyOwnWay - 7-11-2006 at 09:35 AM

Fuck this thread is making me hungry.

Around my way, I like:

Tea Cooler

Butterscotch Krimpets

Cheicken pot pie.

JawnDiablo - 7-11-2006 at 11:08 AM

Herrs chips and snack items

gavin - 7-11-2006 at 11:23 AM

i actually say "wooder" in spite of myself

DaveMoral - 7-11-2006 at 05:09 PM

Tasty Kake

XHonusWagnerX - 7-11-2006 at 08:08 PM

I still dont know what WOODER is

but I do know that TASTY KAKES kick ass!! The Jelly Krimpets and the Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes rock!!

Siczine.com - 7-12-2006 at 12:35 AM

aint nothing better than some wooder ice on a hot summer night

Seriously, Philly runs this thread. God knows how many places try to imitate our pretzels, cheesesteaks, and wooder ice. But what the fuckers don't know is wooder is the secret ingredient. Thats why our rolls are so damn good, and the pretzels.

And seriously California, stop calling slabs of steak shoved in pita bread an authentic philly cheesesteak.

upyerbum - 7-12-2006 at 08:30 AM

Donair. mmmmmmm........I'm gonna' go get one right now.

XnMeX - 7-12-2006 at 10:33 AM

2 of my friends went to Philly to one of the most popular cheese steak places with a bunch of Philly friends and the guys from Phill were LOVING them and scarfing them down soo fast. My friends.... One of the friends ate it and said it was the worst he has had. The other one couldn't finish it. And neither if them had eaten for a day or 2. TRUE STORY. So, as far as I know... We have some places in NH that could HOUSE a Philly cheese steak. I need to try one for myself to be the judge but the 2 friends of mine have really good tastes in food and seriously had not eaten in the past few days due to lack of funds (the Philly friend bought them the steak subs cuz they "HAD to try them")

XnMeX - 7-12-2006 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
I still dont know what WOODER is

google has the answer!

http://www.ritasice.com/homeFrame.html

Wooder ice = Philly slang term for Water Ice, which as far as I can tell, looks like what we would call a Italian ice, snow cone, shaved ice, or icee type desert.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-12-2006 at 10:46 AM

What is it thats different about a PHILLY CHEESESTEAK that other 'Cheesesteaks' dont have?

JawnDiablo - 7-12-2006 at 10:57 AM

the difference is that cheese steaks were invented in philadelphia. other places have tried to imitate them and they are not as good. amoroso rolls are a big part of it. apparently you cant bake rolls correctly elsewhere or some shit . i dunno. ive been to places only 200 miles from here and they manage to fuck it up. mcdonalds had a cheese steak and so does wawa. both are ass nasty shit.

JawnDiablo - 7-12-2006 at 10:58 AM

other places call them philly cheese steaks, here they are just cheese steaks , because it is where they originated.

XHonusWagnerX - 7-12-2006 at 01:43 PM

I still think Rhode Island has a lot of good ones.

moron - 7-12-2006 at 01:46 PM

There's a place in NYC that's called 99 Miles to Philly and serves pretty darn good Cheesesteaks. Im no expert though.

DaveMoral - 7-12-2006 at 06:59 PM

nMe, if your pals went to Geno's they probably got stuck with some Cheez Whiz shit on their steaks... I'm not meat eater, but c'mon... you gotta put some provolone on that shit or something.... not fuckin' Cheez Whiz.....

JawnDiablo - 7-12-2006 at 07:04 PM

theres a place in norristown that is ten times better than them tourist traps in south philly called pudgies. love that place, but havent been over in years...
when i refer to philly i more or less mean 10-20 miles in either direction of the city as far as food goes just for the geographical record...

XnMeX - 7-13-2006 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
nMe, if your pals went to Geno's they probably got stuck with some Cheez Whiz shit on their steaks... I'm not meat eater, but c'mon... you gotta put some provolone on that shit or something.... not fuckin' Cheez Whiz.....

Must have been because the description my friends gave was "Badly cooked Steak-ums with Cheeze Whiz." lol

JawnDiablo - 7-13-2006 at 12:27 PM

yeah thats a south philly special if i ever heard one

SCRAPPLE has a wiki page

BDx13 - 1-24-2007 at 12:14 PM

Scrapple is a savory mush in which...

Kid Ugly - 1-24-2007 at 12:32 PM

I just learned what scrapple is a few days ago.

JawnDiablo - 1-24-2007 at 02:54 PM

I love scrapple

BDx13 - 1-24-2007 at 02:57 PM

I love scrapple.

clevohardcore - 1-24-2007 at 04:05 PM

I never heard of it.

clevohardcore - 1-24-2007 at 04:06 PM

UUUuuuuuuu that sounds like shit.

Kind of like Head cheese.

Siczine.com - 1-24-2007 at 07:05 PM

I'm curious, do they have mega fries anywhere else other than philly?

clevohardcore - 1-24-2007 at 09:41 PM

Megafries? Like big french fries? Like the ones at RED ROBIN or a steak joint?

Siczine.com - 1-24-2007 at 11:04 PM

Nope, it's a philly favorite. They are fries that are covered in whiz, mozz, bacon and seasonings that vary from place to place. They are amazing, I call them a heart attack in a can. Castor Pizza invented them way back and then many places started to imitate them, now every pizza place in Philly has their own version.

joe - 1-25-2007 at 01:05 AM

when i lived in chicago nobody knew about fluff. how about everybody else

JawnDiablo - 1-25-2007 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
Nope, it's a philly favorite. They are fries that are covered in whiz, mozz, bacon and seasonings that vary from place to place. They are amazing, I call them a heart attack in a can. Castor Pizza invented them way back and then many places started to imitate them, now every pizza place in Philly has their own version.

oh man these are a favorite of mine!
add in ranch dressing

Voodoobillyman - 1-25-2007 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
when i lived in chicago nobody knew about fluff. how about everybody else

do you mean fluff like peanut butter and fluff? If so, yeah we have that.

beaner - 1-25-2007 at 10:01 AM

Quote:

Deep fried mars bar:

my old man lives up near larkhall in glasgow. when i visit i almost go and get me one of these put i keep telling myself NO!!!!!

i like me some donner meat on a naan bread with chilly sauce, YUMMY!!!!

JawnDiablo - 1-25-2007 at 11:41 AM

they had deep fried oreos at the local fair i took my son to back in the fall.