Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Johnny cash, how come..........

beaner - 8-26-2006 at 04:14 PM

................most of the people on these boards who is either the same age or older than me, are really into the man in black? is it a hardcore thing cuz he said it like it was?

i think i really need to listen to some of his songs.
any idea's on title's to look out for?

by the way, i really like 'hurt'.

DAK - 8-26-2006 at 05:46 PM

American Recordings I - V

DaveMoral - 8-26-2006 at 06:27 PM

The Complete Sun Recordings, in addition to what DAK said.

sinister - 8-26-2006 at 07:59 PM

Other than the American Recordings I listed to Live at Folsom most, check that out too for a taste of the older stuff.

Voodoobillyman - 8-26-2006 at 09:02 PM

Johnny Cash spoke and sang from the heart ALWAYS. It wasnt a trendy fuckin pukey punk thing or shit like that, anyone with eyes in their head and a heart to support it could identify with his music. Hardcore kids who talk Cash and only know his hits because it's trendy are fuckheads.

gavin - 8-27-2006 at 01:50 AM

i love all old country
i actually like waylon a bit better than cash
and george jones has the best voice in the history of ever

Six66Mike - 8-27-2006 at 02:00 AM

I do not listen to Johnny Cash. I found the overkill after Walk The Line movie came out turned me off even more and I don't get in to slow monotone music, and the songs they kept playing were just that.

DaveMoral - 8-27-2006 at 08:03 AM

Baaaaaah, you don't even know.

XHonusWagnerX - 8-27-2006 at 09:13 AM

I got into him WAY late.... it was the movie that spawned my interest (I know... I feel cheezy about it already!) so I picked up an old greatest hits and 'Live at San Quentin' and I love them both. I want to get some of the American Recordings next.

gavin - 8-27-2006 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
I do not listen to Johnny Cash. I found the overkill after Walk The Line movie came out turned me off even more and I don't get in to slow monotone music, and the songs they kept playing were just that.

silly talk

Voodoobillyman - 8-27-2006 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike

Youve been drinking the white mans firewater again havent you?

DaveMoral - 8-28-2006 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
"For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome
Eagle.
The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah
and lo,
while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced:
for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there was
peace."

Voodoo, is that that fake quote from the Qur'an? Pure sillyness.

Spoiler - 8-28-2006 at 07:12 PM

10 years ago I hated country music (and still hate 95% of it)....but now I listen to way more country than I do hardcore or metal...albums like "Back to the barrooms" by Merle Haggard and "Human Emotions" by David Allan Coe are some of the best stuff I've ever heard.
Dale Watson,Billy Joe Shaver,Wayne Hancock,JB Beverley....give these guys a listen....true heartfelt honky tonk....it dosn't get any better.

fuck that radio pop country bullshit

Voodoobillyman - 8-28-2006 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Quote:
"For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome
Eagle.
The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah
and lo,
while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced:
for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there was
peace."

Voodoo, is that that fake quote from the Qur'an? Pure sillyness.

yeah, it struck my fancy. I can't say I'm surprised you would notice it. As Don King says "Only in America!"

CR83 - 8-29-2006 at 01:53 AM

I'm 30. Sorry Dudes but I think Johnny Cash sucks. I have never liked Johhny Cash, Elvia, The beatles, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and so on. Never have and probably never will.

JawnDiablo - 8-29-2006 at 05:57 AM

cuz he said it like it was- exactly
as tortured as my souls been over the years, i find comfort in the man in black. if any of you can dig that at all....

BDx13 - 8-29-2006 at 07:15 AM

chrisreed, are you trashing elvira? how dare you?

Voodoobillyman - 8-29-2006 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
chrisreed, are you trashing elvira? how dare you?

I'm sure he meant Elvis.............which is damn near blasphemy in my circles, but to each their own. However, if he did mean Elvira, he needs to seek professional help IMMEDIATELY!

CR83 - 8-29-2006 at 08:48 AM

I like Elvira a hell of a lot more then Elvis. I did tour graceland a few years ago. It was interesting but I hate giving that group money. My mother-in-law had a whole room decorated and dedicated to Elvis in her last house. She always made me sleep in there when I was visiting becuase she knew I didn't like him. I always thought that was funny.

Voodoobillyman - 8-29-2006 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisReed83
I like Elvira a hell of a lot more then Elvis. I did tour graceland a few years ago. It was interesting but I hate giving that group money. My mother-in-law had a whole room decorated and dedicated to Elvis in her last house. She always made me sleep in there when I was visiting becuase she knew I didn't like him. I always thought that was funny.

That is funny:D

My wife and I went to Vegas and had the Elvis wedding and everything. Love me some Elvis. Love me some Elvira even more;)

gavin - 8-29-2006 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'm 30. Sorry Dudes but I think Johnny Cash sucks. I have never liked Johhny Cash, Elvia, The beatles, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and so on. Never have and probably never will.

so what do you like then?
besides "hardcore"

CR83 - 8-29-2006 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
Quote:

so what do you like then?
besides "hardcore"

Good question. I'm pretty narrow minded when it comes to music. I will openly admit that. Outside of I guess what is considered "heavy" music I like classic rock - Boston, Doobies, Skynyrd, .38 Special, ZZ Top.... I will also admit to enjoying New Wave- A Flcok of Seaguls are one of my favorites.

Now I know with saying I like classic rock and that sort of 70's Rock that it opens me up to people saying, "Elvis the Beatles and Johnny Cash are direct influences." That is totally fine to me, I just don't like those "groups". Never have.

Maybe part of it is I don't like them based on principle or that they are SO popular, I'm completely turned off by them. Don't really know. For example I don't enjoy The Who or Zeplin. I do know that I have never been "moved" by anything by Cash, Elvis, Willie, Beatles et al... Then there's a chance I won't let myself.

Jesus, this is a much longer answer then you were wanting.

gavin - 8-29-2006 at 11:55 AM

a long time ago, i was kinda the same way
i wouldnt even give certain things a chance because of the idea i had of what i "thought" they were
then i realized i was was really only cheating myself out of some really great music

im a music nerd at heart
i like such a wide range of things its just hard for me to understand how people dont give anything a chance

dont let pre-judging cheat you out of some really awesome stuff

JawnDiablo - 8-29-2006 at 03:35 PM

i like Lee Perry......

gavin - 8-29-2006 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
i like Lee Perry......

yeah!

CR83 - 8-29-2006 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
a long time ago, i was kinda the same way
i wouldnt even give certain things a chance because of the idea i had of what i "thought" they were
then i realized i was was really only cheating myself out of some really great music

im a music nerd at heart
i like such a wide range of things its just hard for me to understand how people dont give anything a chance

dont let pre-judging cheat you out of some really awesome stuff

I think that is a great way to think about it and I appreciate your candor. Right now, I feel as though I'm all set. I'm always looking for new stuff. I too consider myself a music nerd but I'm all set with the HC material I'm looking for/listening to.

I'm the same way with food. I'm happy with what I'm eating now and don't feel like I'm missing out or am I just lazy? Ah, who knows.

Take it easy Mr. BV.

DaveMoral - 8-29-2006 at 09:55 PM

Cash has damn near brought me to tears.... and I'm doing just fine these days. Dude just unlocks some shit that I've been holdin' onto.

Merle, Waylon, Cash.. they make me feel way more working class pride than most silly hardcore punk and oi bands do. And I loves me some oi!

My newfound appreciation outlaw country actually gives me something to relate to with my dad... I swear my avoidance of country has almost 100% to do with the fact that that is my dad's favorite. He was in a band in my youth, all family trips were constant country... drove me away from it. My kid will probably get into some stupid bullshit if I over expose him to hardcore and punk rock... and I don't want him being all into pop music.