Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

pending death disappreciation

BDx13 - 9-9-2006 at 12:03 AM

my grandmother has been in poor health for some time, and wound up in the hospital about a week ago when her kidneys more or less stopped working.
she has refused all the treatments the doctors offered, so she's going home tomorrow and will be getting 'comfort care' (morphine drip from the hospice staff) until she passes away some time within the next week.
tomorrow, i'm driving five hours out to where she lives with my mom to say goodbye.
sucks.

godabandonedme - 9-9-2006 at 12:27 AM

Sorry to hear and God bless. My grandmother is in the same situation with bad alzhimers(sp?)

clevohardcore - 9-9-2006 at 01:34 AM

Aw man Duane that is very hard to take. Your family are in the prayers. You can never say the word "love" too much. Remember that. Take care.
Marty

Discipline - 9-9-2006 at 03:48 AM

Take care man. I've lost all of my grandparents now, so I feel your pain.

jonnynewbreed - 9-9-2006 at 09:25 AM

I went through that with my mom years ago. It's no good but when people realize they have done what they were put here to do they aren't afraid of leaving. Sorry Duane.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-9-2006 at 09:29 AM

Im really sorry BD. I havent lost anyone in my close family or friends and I cant even imagine being in your situation. I hope it goes as well as possible. Take care....

newbreedbrian - 9-9-2006 at 10:34 AM

shitty deal duane. i've seen more death in the last ten years than i care to remember including all my grandparents. it's never easy. she sounds like she's made peace with it and is ready to go.

DAK - 9-9-2006 at 11:25 AM

Sucks. Sorry Bd. I went through this about 8 months ago with my grandma.I have dreams about her all the tim, still hard sometimes to get over.

upyerbum - 9-9-2006 at 11:45 AM

The good thing is you'll be by her side. Take care.

crazyfists28 - 9-9-2006 at 12:31 PM

sorry to hear about all this, no grandparents and only one parent so i hear ya, i think we all have. just tough knowing that its pretty much innevitable that they'll pass, hang in there

morgan - 9-9-2006 at 01:01 PM

Sorry to here it. Went through a simillar situation a few months ago so I guess I can relate. My sympathies go out to you and your family.

RomanticViolence - 9-9-2006 at 09:11 PM

I am sorry to hear this BD. I know this has got to be hard for you and the family.
Take care and be strong sweetie.

SAAAAARS - 9-9-2006 at 09:45 PM

my grandmother died 2 weeks ago, so i feel you. i don't know if it's the same for you, but my grandmother wasn't even the same woman for the past couple of years. it's like i didn't even know her anymore. it made it a little easier to let go, but it's never easy. i'm so sorry.

BDx13 - 9-11-2006 at 01:41 PM

thanks everyone. i'm sure most of you have been through something similar, so you know what i'm talking about. when my first few grandparents died, it was kind of quick and somewhat unexpected, so this whole "grandma's gonna die sometime in the next week" scheduling stuff is kinda weird to me.

anyway, yeah, 600 miles, 10 hours of driving, me and the two-year-old.
she's all set up in a hospital bed in my mom's house, with an iv running meds to minimize the pain and make her a little less anxious. it really sucks cause she's totally conscious and still very sharp. she knows exactly what's going on, and keeps yelling at the nurse "don't give me anything that'll keep me a live!" ha! tough old broad. i lived with her and my grandfather (who passed away about eight years ago) for years as a child, so i've always been close with her.

Voodoobillyman - 9-11-2006 at 02:41 PM

she sounds like a firecracker Big D, prayers out to you and yours bro. I've been down this road as well with all my grandparents but one, tough old bastard that he is, retired master Seargant in the Army, been through 3 major wars and then worked in a warehouse after Uncle Sam was done with him. He was just diagnosed with prostate cancer, so we will have to see what life has in store for him now.

XHonusWagnerX - 9-11-2006 at 02:55 PM

I Hope you and your daughter did well BD... Im sure it was tough, but our thoughts were with you.

I hope things go well for your grandfather Voodoo...

DaveMoral - 9-12-2006 at 07:05 PM

Ah, sucks Big D... Sorry to hear. Losing a grandparent is tough... I wasn't close to my grandfather but it hit me hard when he passed. I'm dreading when my grandmothers go...

Our prayers are with you and her and the whole family.

BDx13 - 9-12-2006 at 07:18 PM

thanks again, everyone. sophie passed away this morning.

crazyfists28 - 9-12-2006 at 08:33 PM

at least you can stop wondering when, she is in a better place.....