Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

XHonusWagnerX - 9-11-2006 at 10:41 AM

Im really just starting this because I was surprised that there was no thread about it already. Im not from NY and Ive actually only even been there 1 or 2 times in my life. I dont know anyone there (except some of you guys who I met well after 9.11) so I didnt have any loss or anything like that but it was the kind of thing that effected everyone in one way or another.

Anyone got any stories to share? Something light hearted or funny? Want to vent about a loss? Scream about the whole situation? Tribute a friend? Share some interesting facts about the day?

Anytyhing at all because were all here for each other...

crazyfists28 - 9-11-2006 at 04:29 PM

sorta cool to hear the replay of howard stern from that day, more genuine than anything he could ever plan for a "bit." one of those days that you remember exactly where you were and very specific things.

Six66Mike - 9-11-2006 at 06:27 PM

RIP Raybeez!

godabandonedme - 9-11-2006 at 07:03 PM

Listening to Howard that morning cause I didn't sleep and he said it wasn't ajoke WTC was on fire an might have been hit by a plane. Started watching good morning america and watched the second plane hit. Sucked.

Kid Ugly - 9-12-2006 at 12:02 AM

My mother teaches in a public high school. The school did nothing for the five year anniversary. Not even a moment of silence. Mind you, it's a regional high school comprised of three towns, and each town had lost people in the attacks.

One word comes to mind...Disgrace.

SAAAAARS - 9-12-2006 at 12:18 AM

i was amazed, no one even mentioned it at work today...
so sad

XnMeX - 9-12-2006 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SAAAAARS
i was amazed, no one even mentioned it at work today...
so sad

Weird, for the past week my work has had a red white and blue table with rw & b candles and slips of papers to write what we remembered on them and place them on a board. Then yesterday they gave us all american flags to put on my desk. My work was "all about it".

Voodoobillyman - 9-12-2006 at 08:51 AM

I work for the military...........we never forget, or forgive.

beaner - 9-12-2006 at 09:38 AM

five years on and im still lost for words.

BDx13 - 9-12-2006 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman

i'm glad i know people like you.

XnMeX, isn't the company you work for union?

RomanticViolence - 9-12-2006 at 10:03 AM

Quote:

Awesome.

That is all.

i posted this on another board...

BDx13 - 9-12-2006 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Where were you? What do you remember?

Standing on the northeast corner of 40th St. & 5th Ave in Manhattan, about to enter my office building. From there, one had a perfect view straight south to where the towers stood. When those of us on the street noticed the fire in the first building, everyone just assumed that it was nothing more than just a fire. 'Maybe a generator exploded', or worst-case, 'a small plane crashed'. And most most people's response was little more than, 'oooh, that sucks'. It definitely sucked, but it's typical of New Yorkers to take even serious shit like that in relative stride.

After a few minutes of watching and talking, we saw the second plane hit the second building. From that angle, what we actually saw was the huge fireball that blew out the far side. At that point it was clear that this was not an accident.

I went into the building, turned on CNN in the CEO's office, then tried to get in touch with my wife. Landlines and cell phones were completely jammed, so the only way to communicate was via email. By this time, the Pentagon had been hit and people started getting real nervous - my office was across the street from the NY Public Library and two blocks from Grand Central, and my wife's office was a block from the Empire State building. We left our respective offices after the first building came down and met in a small park roughly in between where we worked.

By now, the subways were closed, so we started walking back to Brooklyn. Everyone was on the street. There was very little vehicular traffic, and the streets were FULL of people. As we were walking south, most people were walking north. People were filthy, covered in dust and dirt, discheveled, crying, hysterical, bleeding.

Police wouldn't let us any further south than 14th street, so we went to a friend's apartment on 14th & Park and spent the next six hours there watching CNN. We emailed our parents to let them know we were all right, but they're not regular computer people, so we kept trying to call as well.

We eventually got word that our subway line had reopened, so we walked across 14th street, which was completely diserted except for cops at every corner, and caught a train back to home.

Where we lived in Brooklyn was due east of lower Manhattan, and only about seven blocks in from the waterfront. The wind was blowing in that direction that day, so our neighborhood was a mess. It was barely dusk when we got off the train, but the smoke was so thick, we couldn't see the traffic lights one block ahead. There was paper and debris and all kinds of who knows what in the streeet. We walked to the Brooklyn Heights Prominade (which is a park on the Brooklyn side of the East River and looks at lower Manhattan) where the only part of Manhattan we could see was the little bit south of the WTC. The smoke was so thick, we couldn't see most of the city or even the Brooklyn Bridge, which was only about 10 blocks away.

As we walked home, we crossed Atlantic Ave, a major east/west route in Brooklyn, which also has a huge Arab population. The street was totally closed down, cops everywhere. (It eventually came out that some of the hijackers stayed at and raised funds at a mosque on Atlantic, a mere three blocks from our house. Needless to say, that did little for relations in the neighborhood.)

When we got to our block, the first thing we did was chack on our nieghbors, most of whom worked in lower Manhattan. Fortunately, everyone got home safely. We had left the windows open in our apartment that day, so the inside of our place was all dusty. That night, we watched the news for hours and cleaned the apartment. I don't think either of us slept very well.

I'll tell you right now, that shit fucked me up good. I don't like talking about it (although, typing is not bad), I won't go to that part of town, and bullshit like this (link) infuriates me. That said, it also brought about a number of positive changes in me, personally. There's nothing like watching 2,752 of your fellow New Yorkers die as the most prolific icon of your beloved city comes crashing to the ground to make you reconsider your outlook on life.

Quote:
When do you think we'll get hit again?

I don't have an opinion on when, but I do believe it will happen.

Quote:
Do you think the government knew it was coming or played a role?

I don't really let myself think about this possibility. That said...

Quote:
Do you believe the official accounts?
No.

Quote:
Do you believe there was any cover u?
Yes.

upyerbum - 9-12-2006 at 11:17 AM

"National Collector?s Mint, Inc. is an independent, private corporation not affiliated with, endorsed, or licensed by the U.S. government or the U.S. Mint." What a bunch of scumfucks.

ENDERA.x - 9-12-2006 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
"National Collector?s Mint, Inc. is an independent, private corporation not affiliated with, endorsed, or licensed by the U.S. government or the U.S. Mint." What a bunch of scumfucks.

Profiting off of the deaths of others, now thats definetly something all developed countries do... especially the states, but their own people?

Fuck
thats disgusting
and i dont think anniversary is the right word here to me thats usually a happy thing...
this pisses me off

XHonusWagnerX - 9-12-2006 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Quote:

i'm glad i know people like you.

XnMeX, isn't the company you work for union?

I work for a union company and they did/said nothing all day yesterday. Someone in the office sent out an email about it on Friday, but that was all.

I thought it was odd!

DaveMoral - 9-12-2006 at 06:53 PM

I remember that my wife and I both worked for Whole Foods at the time and had no car so we walked/bussed it to work. We were both packin' heat for weeks just in case anyone got the bright idea to "retaliate" against us. For those that don't already know, we're Muslims.

I was also infuriated when a Philly newspaper, I think it was the Philly Weekly or something like that, printed a story that said the reaction of a high ranking police officer was "let's nuke Mecca!"

beaner - 9-13-2006 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I remember that my wife and I both worked for Whole Foods at the time and had no car so we walked/bussed it to work. We were both packin' heat for weeks just in case anyone got the bright idea to "retaliate" against us. For those that don't already know, we're Muslims.

I was also infuriated when a Philly newspaper, I think it was the Philly Weekly or something like that, printed a story that said the reaction of a high ranking police officer was "let's nuke Mecca!"

some people are just stupid.
a couple of my wife's sister's are married to pakistany guy's and there good guy's. both are muslim. where we live is very multi-racial. im getting tired of people putting everybody who is a muslim or who looks like a muslim as a terrorist. gets me mad.

upyerbum - 9-13-2006 at 11:31 AM

Funny thing is, Islam is probably the purest form of both Christianity and Judaism. I can qualify that statement if anyone wants to be bored as hell.

Voodoobillyman - 9-13-2006 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beaner
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

some people are just stupid.
a couple of my wife's sister's are married to pakistany guy's and there good guy's. both are muslim. where we live is very multi-racial. im getting tired of people putting everybody who is a muslim or who looks like a muslim as a terrorist. gets me mad.

I could'nt agree more, racially profiling is wrong in every sense of it's use. With that said I must also state that unfortunately for Muslims right now, Islamic extremists are predominantly Muslim and have every intention of killing as many Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Arab etc....... AMERICAN people as they can with no regard for ethinicity, religious belief, social class or any other divisive issue in our great country. This creates a necessary evil when it comes to racial profiling because of the particular style of warfare being waged by said extremists. They blend in with others of their particular background like cowards and wait for backs to be turned and then pounce like "fierce lions" claiming legitimacy in the deaths of innocent men, women and children. I know it hurts Muslims to see their peacefull religion twisted and warped by the extreme fundamentalists claiming it for their own agenda just like good Christians hate to see the same kinds of atrocities being inflicted on "heathens" by the church. ALL organized religions are guilty of the crime of picking and choosing aspects of said religion for some agenda of personal gain.

upyerbum - 9-13-2006 at 01:30 PM

I like that Tommy Franks quote Voodoo. I think he also said something along the lines of "It may not be war, but it sure as hell ain't peace" pertaining to Somalia.

You are correct, if these so called "warriors" were really in it for the reasons they claim, they'd be hitting military, communications, infrastructure, all of which could be done with minimal civilian casualties.
Not walking into a crowded cafe and blowing themseleves up. It also goes back to belief however, they don't hold themselves responsible for
those deaths. The bomb killed them and it was Allah's will who lived and died. A lot of them don't look down their sights when they fire their weapons either for the very same reason.

Voodoobillyman - 9-13-2006 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
I like that Tommy Franks quote Voodoo. I think he also said something along the lines of "It may not be war, but it sure as hell ain't peace" pertaining to Somalia.

yeah, General Franks is a John Wayne style Bud drinkin, Malboro smokin cowboy who kicks mucho ass! That man is as tough as they come and pulls no punches.