Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

You people in bands

RomanticViolence - 10-17-2006 at 10:09 AM

Do you play cover songs?

If you do play cover songs do you try to make the song sound like the original or do you add things to make it "your own".

Just wondering.
That is all.

JawnDiablo - 10-17-2006 at 11:14 AM

i want to put together a studid cover band and play all early HC / punk crap.
but i suck.
so there.

upyerbum - 10-17-2006 at 03:22 PM

My old band never did any, but my new band is considering a reggae version of Boots and Braces.

newbreedbrian - 10-17-2006 at 11:52 PM

we never did all that many covers, but i think our selections were good when we did. we usually did things that were different from our style (ie. Stan Rogers, Spirit of the West, Springsteen, etc) and made them our own thing. What's the point of doing something that's already been done better in your own style? I guess we never really pandered to audiences or anyone else for that matter. You either liked us or hated us but at least we were honest about it

MyOwnWay - 10-18-2006 at 10:22 PM

Any covers I have ever done have always been with a twist of some sort. Never a replica of the original. To me thats boring.

Dave - 10-19-2006 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
we never did all that many covers, but i think our selections were good when we did. we usually did things that were different from our style (ie. Stan Rogers, Spirit of the West, Springsteen, etc) and made them our own thing. What's the point of doing something that's already been done better in your own style? I guess we never really pandered to audiences or anyone else for that matter. You either liked us or hated us but at least we were honest about it

well said....

although in the early early days, we did some punk covers, and not very good either, we were terrible.......back then :cool:, and thats why we started doing 'other' covers instead.
if the kids are united, someone's gonna die, death was too kind, the wanderer, joe hawkins, ultra violence, drinkin' n' driving........i think that was all of the covers that we destroyed, the first year or so.

SlobDylan - 10-19-2006 at 10:21 PM

We never play cover songs. We always talk about doing them but bever do. I think that we would try to make them our own though.

Voodoobillyman - 10-20-2006 at 11:33 AM

I always like it when a band would cover a tune in their own style which was a 180 from the original songs style. Like an extreme metal cover of a polka tune or something like that. The more different the styles the better the cover I think.

clevohardcore - 10-20-2006 at 12:09 PM

I want to get a band together. If it ends up happening I will need to play covers for practice.

upyerbum - 10-20-2006 at 12:12 PM

Jammin out some covers can give you a vibe when you're just getting started with a new band.
Pick a bunch of songs along the vein you want to play, it gets everyone on the same page. Personally I just like to chuck a bunch of people together an see what happens.