Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Man killed outside hardcore show in NJ

moron - 1-16-2007 at 01:47 PM

http://www.lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=8141

A man was killed following a fight outside Club Deep on Sunday evening in Asbury Park, NJ. The victim was 25 year-old James Morrison, an Iraq veteran. Morrison was reportedly at the club to attend a show featuring Ramallah, COA, and Wisdom In Chains. The altercation apparently began inside the club then continued outside on the street, where police found Morrison on the ground at around 6 pm. After being taken to the hospital, Morrison was pronounced dead at roughly 6:30 pm. Asbury Park Press has an article on the incident here.

sucks!

JawnDiablo - 1-16-2007 at 01:50 PM

more assholes at shows who can't behave themselves

stateofdisgrace - 1-16-2007 at 01:54 PM

Juan, I agree.

First and foremost, the loss of someone's life at a place he was supposed to be having a good time is scary and saddening.

Next, hardcore music already gets a bad rap, this incident won't help.

ALL YOU TUFF GUYS, if you aren't coming out for a good time, stay the fuck home.

Discipline - 1-16-2007 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stateofdisgrace
ALL YOU TUFF GUYS, if you aren't coming out for a good time, stay the fuck home.

I can't stress how much I agree with this one.

Siczine.com - 1-16-2007 at 02:35 PM

Nothing worse than a tough guy who constantly thinks they have to prove themself. It's a disgrace that things like this will continue to happen over and over again.

stateofdisgrace - 1-16-2007 at 02:55 PM

here is the kid's myspace;

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro...

tragic.............

JawnDiablo - 1-16-2007 at 08:24 PM

I could never understand why this kind of crap has to happen.
I used to be semi afraid of going to shows in the early 90s in jersey because of mobs of nazis.
theres reasons few places will book such shows and this is one of them.
I feel for the dudes family. The fuckin dude survived being over in Iraq fighting "the enemy" and comes home to be killed in a scene thats supposed to be all "united" and shit.
it sucks on so many levels.

clevohardcore - 1-16-2007 at 09:07 PM

that sucks.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-17-2007 at 12:50 AM

This is why I steer clear of certain types of shows. Shits boring. I got grown up problems.

thedog - 1-17-2007 at 01:01 AM

this is terrible.
senseless violence.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-17-2007 at 10:22 AM

Thats fucking pathetic. Even though there is more and more violence, I still cant beleive that Hardcore has come to this! Even the most violent bands back in the day (Black Flag, Negative FX etc.) would not aprove of this bullshit!

Im so fucking pissed off about this. Its tragic enough that a TWENTY SIX YEAR OLD is a WAR VETERAN and he has to be killed due to a fight at a place where he should have been among friends who respected him even more because of his services to the country. Im not even close to POSI, but is there even a fucking shred of Unity left in 'the scene'??!?

FUCK HARDCORE
FUCK GANGS
FUCK FIGHTING
FUCK BANDS THAT PROMOTE THE BULLSHIT
FUCK BANDS THAT DONT TRY TOP STOP FIGHTS
FUCK KIDS THAT THINK ITS COOL TO FIGHT
FUCK IT ALL!

People are fucking dieing! What more needs to happen before there is a change!?

clevohardcore - 1-17-2007 at 11:07 AM

I have no desire to go to shows anymore. Sorry Donnybrook and all those bands that promote the fighting. Its tired and old. If thats hardcore then count me out.

JawnDiablo - 1-17-2007 at 11:27 AM

The scene is dominated by assholes and a bunch of elitist pricks posing as whatever.
I no longer have any interest whatsoever in going to these shows.
everyday i care less and less about this abortion of a genre
time to close the coffin on it.
latley i rather listen to the Skatelites anyway

gavin - 1-17-2007 at 11:38 AM

rather listen to the Skatelites anyway

exactly

XHonusWagnerX - 1-17-2007 at 11:51 AM

I still love the old bands, but the new bands that are even 1/2 way decent to me that are 'hardcore' are few and VERY VERY VERY far between. And even that doesnt mean I would go see them!

its like Romans (Tigers Den) in Brockton, MA. Even if Slapshot played there I WOULDNT GO! That place is a fucking murder waiting to happen! Its run by FSU and OUTLAWS. Why the fuck would ANYONE go there!?

I was psyched that the Bad Brains will probably tour when the new LP comes out, but if they do they will play with newer bands that are full of assholes. If they dont play with newer bands that are assholes then those bands full of assholes will be at the shows anyway and there will be fucking fights and who knows what else!

I HATE all this fucking THUG bullshit! (Sorry MetalMulisha)

Discipline - 1-17-2007 at 11:59 AM

The stupidity of it all is why I don't go to shows much anymore. If somebody I absolutely love comes to town (Dayglo's, AF, B4B, etc) I'll go, but that's about it. I don't go check out new bands or go to see local bands.

In March I'm planning to hit the Flogging Molly/Street Dogs show, but that should hopefully be devoid of idiots.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-17-2007 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
The stupidity of it all is why I don't go to shows much anymore. If somebody I absolutely love comes to town (Dayglo's, AF, B4B, etc) I'll go, but that's about it. I don't go check out new bands or go to see local bands.

In March I'm planning to hit the Flogging Molly/Street Dogs show, but that should hopefully be devoid of idiots.

Its also sad that 2 of the three bands that you (and the rest of us!) attract the most idiots!!! I mean AF and BFB.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-17-2007 at 12:30 PM

It's humorous how late 90's NYHC, as well as some other areas, was in a large part emulating black (or for those who are too sensitive "urban hip hop culture") and now theres a whole generation of kids emulating the emulators. Its like 2 shades deep into corny.

clevohardcore - 1-17-2007 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
It's humorous how late 90's NYHC, as well as some other areas, was in a large part emulating black (or for those who are too sensitive "urban hip hop culture") and now theres a whole generation of kids emulating the emulators. Its like 2 shades deep into corny.

^^^^^^ I think your on to something.

Unbound - 1-17-2007 at 12:34 PM

You know, it's times like these that make me glad that I live in a small town in Canada that pretty much never has any violence at shows. In the thirteen years I've been going to shows I've actually never even seen a single fight at a show. I guess in a small town where everyone knows everyone you don't have anything to prove.

What the fuck is wrong with people? I guarantee you this was over something very stupid as well. I think we need to put the word hardcore to rest and come up with something new. I'm starting to not want to have anything to do with the damn genre anymore.

JawnDiablo - 1-17-2007 at 01:00 PM

I personally never got anything out of beating someone up or hurting people. you have to have something wrong with you if you go looking for trouble / fights or were just treated really shitty in life. I havent been in a fight since i was 17....i dunno thats just my opinion

ENDERA.x - 1-17-2007 at 01:41 PM

Ugh...

Kid Ugly - 1-17-2007 at 02:33 PM

This whole thing is depressing/infuriating.

moron - 1-17-2007 at 03:40 PM

I can't even imagine what it would take for me to get so angry at someone where I'd be able to kill them. There isn't much info in the article, but it doesn't sound like this guy even deserved a little beating. Even if he did run his mouth to someone.... come on. Just another reason to try to avoid all confrontation with anyone at a show. You never know who youre messing with or what theyre capable of.

BKT - 1-17-2007 at 04:08 PM

This is a real shame. I feel very much for the kids family and friends. I have no idea what happened so i am not going to comment on this. It is just too bad that it went down like this, espically as he was a solider who served his duty to his country and this is the thanks he gets. Bullshit indeed.

RIP.

MM.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-17-2007 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by metal mulisha
This is a real shame. I feel very much for the kids family and friends. I have no idea what happened so i am not going to comment on this. It is just too bad that it went down like this, espically as he was a solider who served his duty to his country and this is the thanks he gets. Bullshit indeed.

RIP.

MM.

well said. I would like to see more information on the story even though I already went spouting off about it.

DaveMoral - 1-17-2007 at 08:16 PM

This is a big part of why I don't go to shows anymore.

I hate hardcore.

necrobutcher - 1-17-2007 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

I hate hardcore.

I can see where you're coming from but it's not hardcore. Like it has been mentioned already it's jackasses that think if they go to a show they have to prove they are the toughest, baddest motherfuckers alive.

I never could understand it since when I go to a show I'm there because I get to see some bands I like and catch up with friends. Hell, I can't justify fighting unless I'm in danger or someone I care about is in danger. Truth be told, that happens pretty fucking rarely.

clevohardcore - 1-18-2007 at 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
Quote:

I hate hardcore.

I can see where you're coming from but it's not hardcore. Like it has been mentioned already it's jackasses that think if they go to a show they have to prove they are the toughest, baddest motherfuckers alive.

I never could understand it since when I go to a show I'm there because I get to see some bands I like and catch up with friends. Hell, I can't justify fighting unless I'm in danger or someone I care about is in danger. Truth be told, that happens pretty fucking rarely.

^^^^^^^^ I am not dissing on you at all but I have to say something about what you said. In the past I have defended HARDCORE and what it represents for a very long time, but lately I thinking and I realised something. Maybe this all is HARDCORE. Maybe this is what hardcore became. Maybe I was wrong when I defended what I thought hardcore really was. What I was apart of is definitely what it is now. I am not into this. This is not me. As much as it pains me to say I am not representing this anymore. I hate most new bands. Not because they suck, but because most newer bands come from a different time. They are not what I am. My hardcore doesn't kill each other. My hardcore doesn't belong to any gang. My hardcore doesn't practice Karate at shows. I am done with this. I love the stuff I grew up on, but I am throwing in the towel. I am waving the white flag. I am hanging my hardcore hat in favor of a Cleveland Indians ball cap. I am a Dad. My son does need me to rep clicks and have street cred in any scene. I am not risking my life for any band that I paid to see play some songs. I see enough drama I don't need it where I go to supposedly kick it with friends.

JawnDiablo - 1-18-2007 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Quote:
Quote:

I hate hardcore.

^^^^^^^^ I am not dissing on you at all but I have to say something about what you said. In the past I have defended HARDCORE and what it represents for a very long time, but lately I thinking and I realised something. Maybe this all is HARDCORE. Maybe this is what hardcore became. Maybe I was wrong when I defended what I thought hardcore really was. What I was apart of is definitely what it is now. I am not into this. This is not me. As much as it pains me to say I am not representing this anymore. I hate most new bands. Not because they suck, but because most newer bands come from a different time. They are not what I am. My hardcore doesn't kill each other. My hardcore doesn't belong to any gang. My hardcore doesn't practice Karate at shows. I am done with this. I love the stuff I grew up on, but I am throwing in the towel. I am waving the white flag. I am hanging my hardcore hat in favor of a Cleveland Indians ball cap. I am a Dad. My son does need me to rep clicks and have street cred in any scene. I am not risking my life for any band that I paid to see play some songs. I see enough drama I don't need it where I go to supposedly kick it with friends.

you, sir, are on to something here and I am subscribing to your idea

Jason the Magnificent - 1-18-2007 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
Quote:
Quote:

I hate hardcore.

Baseball is better than hardcore anyway...EVEN if your an Indians fan.:cool:

MyOwnWay - 1-18-2007 at 08:52 AM

I cant get into this notion at all of this is what Hardcore is. By definiton of itself Hardcore has no definiton but a feeling. Yet when we hear a band, we know if its Hardcore or not. Even if we dont like a certain band, we recognize the feeling its trying to protray. So by that alone, I do not feel this violence is Hardcore. Sure, shit happens. But overall violence has been prevelant in the scene for as long as I can remember.

People dying seems to be more frequent and I think that its more an adaptation on where our society is. If good people like you guys back out, and stop defending what YOUR definition of Hardcore is, we start to lose touch. We've got to continue to speak out and show others that this shit isnt tolerated and isnt what Hardcore is about. I'm a dad too and I took my daughter to a Hardcore show two weeks ago. Same fucking club this happened at! And you know, I would take her there again. I dont talk senceless shit, I dont walk around harder than all mentality. I go and enjoy myself and raise her to appreciate what is around her as well. People die. It happens. But dont denounce yourself from the very culture you stand for. Let others know this shit isnt cool and its not what its about.

And as far as newer bands. Theres a thousand good ones amongst a million options. But Hardcore is definitely thriving right now. So many good new bands.

You decide what you want fellas. I respect your opinions and reasoning. But I had to throw my opinion in there.

Six66Mike - 1-18-2007 at 10:36 AM

If this happened at a REAL hardcore show, people wouldn't stand around and let something like this happen. Hardcore is dead. Where's the dudes with the backbone to say enough is enough & stop shit from happening?

I remember reading shit about FSU in the last 2 years and dudes saying they get blamed for shit they don't even do, if a fight goes down the finger gets pointed to them.

I watched Boston Beatdown. They take pride in saying "we got the nazis out of Boston Hardcore". Good for you, nobody gives a shit. If you kick the tough guys out of hardcore so shit like this never happens, then I'll be happy for you.

I hope the dudes who did this get caught & charged with first degree murder. I can't wait to see the Myspace fundraisers for "help raise bail money" etc on this shit. I hope people finally wake up and say fuck off to this stuff.

JawnDiablo - 1-18-2007 at 10:42 AM

I hope the dudes who did this get caught & charged with first degree murder. I can't wait to see the Myspace fundraisers for "help raise bail money" etc on this shit. I hope people finally wake up and say fuck off to this stuff.

just for the record, the last time i saw this shit go up, and who it was for, my girl used to know them dudes, and let me just say that they had a rep for starting shit and being in shit like this all the time. OJ still claims he is innocent too

Six66Mike - 1-18-2007 at 10:53 AM

Fundraisers to get out of jail or lawyer fees is fucking retarded.

Raise money for sick people and those who truly need it. I'm sick of the saturation of really bad fundraiser shows. The other foot in the grave for "hardcore".

godabandonedme - 1-18-2007 at 05:59 PM

I used to stick to the idea that hardcore was for "kids" who had it HARD. Not a personality type. For people that had to fight at shows back in 80's and shit because of what was going on in those times. Now, anyone pissed at their mommy and daddy from whothefuckknowswhereville can somehow pick up a hardcore cd and identify with it? That's bullshit in my opinion. These retards don't know what real violence is, what real hate and sorrow is. Killed an Iraqi War Veteran. Hope that sits well with the "scene".

RomanticViolence - 1-18-2007 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thedog
this is terrible.
senseless violence.

Yes indeed. :(

defstarsteve - 1-18-2007 at 07:51 PM

I can see both the points that clevo and my own way are presenting and they are both partially correct

the hardcore we grew up with is still alive and if you believe in it don't turn your back
but don't take this shit lying down either...

if there is an element of the "scene" that is repping violence
don't support them,
don't go to their shows

if you know a band that is true is playing on a show with shit heads,
email them let them know that even though you respect the band they are in but they are playing with people who suck and should see about either getting a different date or finding a different venue
if they choose to take the side of the shit heads in the situation
you know in turn they suck as well

we are in the most connected era ever and any memebr of any band can be reached out to to know what's up

book shows for bands that you know are not idiots
write blogs, and send them to those who support good hardcore and inform them of bands that suck
basically reinvent the scene and exclude those who are causing the shit
take this thing back from making money and enemies to being about a community again

we are the freaks and we are supposed to watch each others backs
not have to watch our backs around each other

support good hardcore and shun the idiots

I feel for this man's family and I hope more people wake up and take a stand against this kind of bullshit

Siczine.com - 1-18-2007 at 08:13 PM

Hardcore has always had it's ups and downs, even back in the golden ages, but for some reason I doubt it was as golden as it's made out to be. There was violence then and there is violence now. Sadly that seems to be how life is no matter what section of society it is. I enjoy good music, whether it's Bach, Victor Wooten, Cro Mags, Carcass, Reef The Lost Cauze, Henry Miller. The one thing I've really grown irritated about hardcore is that everything has to follow the same outline otherwise it isn't hardcore, I thought hardcore was supposed to be for thinking outside the box yet every band that attempts something new gets ostracized for it.

necrobutcher - 1-19-2007 at 12:14 AM

Clevo, I can see your point. A couple of older guys I know have told me some absolute horror stories about some of the shows they have been to, particularly Allentown and Reading about 10 or 15 years ago when 3/4 of the crowd were flag waving Nazis. However, as bad as those are, I have never heard of anyone dying at any of those (out of curiousity, does anyone know any differently?).

Another thought crossed my mind as well. Is this where hardcore is going? Will we be seeing shows get to the point where no venue will have them because it's a guaranteed bloodbath? Hell, I'll even say that there are some shows I think twice about going to unless I'm there with a group or it's my home town venue.

Plus a family changes a lot. I have no wife or kids so I still go to shows not really worried about getting into something, not that I look for trouble but I can't imagine the misery of someone who busts his ass to make ends meet getting put in the hospital or the morgue because some fuck wants to prove he is tough.

That entire thing still annoys me. I would rather be the guy who can make my friends laugh so hard they can't breathe than the guy who can beat everyone up.

JawnDiablo - 1-19-2007 at 06:48 AM

Quote:
Clevo, I can see your point. A couple of older guys I know have told me some absolute horror stories about some of the shows they have been to, particularly Allentown and Reading about 10 or 15 years ago when 3/4 of the crowd were flag waving Nazis. However, as bad as those are, I have never heard of anyone dying at any of those (out of curiousity, does anyone know any differently?).

when I was 17 I saw some dude get "stomped" to death by AC skins at a Bolt Thrower show in Pensauken NJ by AC Skins

JawnDiablo - 1-19-2007 at 06:50 AM

That entire thing still annoys me. I would rather be the guy who can make my friends laugh so hard they can't breathe than the guy who can beat everyone up.

Yeah that's pretty much me too dude.

BDx13 - 1-19-2007 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
A couple of older guys I know have told me some absolute horror stories about some of the shows they have been to, particularly Allentown and Reading about 10 or 15 years ago when 3/4 of the crowd were flag waving Nazis. However, as bad as those are, I have never heard of anyone dying at any of those (out of curiousity, does anyone know any differently?).

That's absolutely accurate. Pretty much any show held in eastern PA NOT in Philly during the late 80s to mid 90s had nazi skins in attendance. The Chameleon in Lancaster, Unisound in Reading, Airport City Music Hall in Allentown...there have been full-scale riots at each of these venues. That's not to say they didn't show up at shows in the city, just not as often (it seemed to me, anyway).

Juan, was that the "Warmaster" tour in 89? I remember the attendees being almost exclusively AC Skins. I remember things gettin' hot durign the Bolt Thrower set once said skins started sieg heiling the band. I remember their roadie tossin' skins around by the throat and Jo-Anne Bench bashing people over the head with her bass. But I didn't know anyone died at that show (I didn't stay until the end).

godabandonedme - 1-19-2007 at 08:28 AM

AAAArrrrggghhhhh (*agravated pirate noise). I typed a whole bunch of crap and erased it. Long story short is, this isn't hardcore. This is a bunch of fucks no different then jocks, no different then bullies, no different then the everyday society that we rebeled against in the begining to get AWAY from shit like this. We all got into this for that very reason (I hope). Because we were different and weren't accepted anywhere else. These assholes are no different then a bunch of high school tough guy types, when they are together. Hurting someone is one thing, I hope the nightmares haunt them for the rest of their lives. No matter what it's for, killing someone is not a fucking joke, I know unfortunatlly. I hope the guilt drives them all to slow suicides, or, leaves the rest of their lives pitifull wrecks of what they used to be.

JawnDiablo - 1-19-2007 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Quote:
A couple of older guys I know have told me some absolute horror stories about some of the shows they have been to, particularly Allentown and Reading about 10 or 15 years ago when 3/4 of the crowd were flag waving Nazis. However, as bad as those are, I have never heard of anyone dying at any of those (out of curiousity, does anyone know any differently?).

That's absolutely accurate. Pretty much any show held in eastern PA NOT in Philly during the late 80s to mid 90s had nazi skins in attendance. The Chameleon in Lancaster, Unisound in Reading, Airport City Music Hall in Allentown...there have been full-scale riots at each of these venues. That's not to say they didn't show up at shows in the city, just not as often (it seemed to me, anyway).

Juan, was that the "Warmaster" tour in 89? I remember the attendees being almost exclusively AC Skins. I remember things gettin' hot durign the Bolt Thrower set once said skins started sieg heiling the band. I remember their roadie tossin' skins around by the throat and Jo-Anne Bench bashing people over the head with her bass. But I didn't know anyone died at that show (I didn't stay until the end).

yeah man, the singer had this nunchuck looking thing he was swinging around.
and of all the people to be with i was with my Perubian friend,(real popuar with the big baldies)
i never went back to that place again and i think it shut down soon after.
at the end of all that crap the victim was lying face down on the floor bleeding out of his ears. the cops came. we were more or less abandoning ship at this point. a skinny long hair like me at the time was really in the wrong place.

clevohardcore - 1-19-2007 at 10:33 AM

I remeber shows with Sharp Skins, Rascist skins, Metal heads, Punk Rock, GG followers, Krishnas, xSEx, bikers, and peoples of all other groups. I have been to hundreds of shows over the course of nearly 20 years of my life. I have witnessed gang fights been involved in fights. Caused fights, Helped friends out in fights, been jumped, and even through a few unanswered punches. I hung with some groups around clevo and even repped them a few times, but never subscribed to them. I was cool with some of them who were in them. I hung out at bars drank with Clevo Last Resort. As well as some skins from way back in the day. Shows were better back then. Fights are always an issue. Death was not. A friend of mine who I grew up with was jumped by Skins from Detroit at the AGNOSTIC FRONT tour in '92' for ONE VOICE. Matt was beat over the head with a pipe while he was already knocked out. For what reason? No one even knows. Not even him. It was on Cleveland news and he was lifeflighted to trauma hospital. He was there for nearly 3 months. Dude almost died. He still suffers from it.

A girl I knew from Last Resort was also jumped by some Kung Fu fucker in 98 at a SKARHEAD show. Ya she was talkin shit but dude smashed her in the face. Then with hsi other buddy started whipping on kids trying to stop it. They jetted really quick when the other Last Resort people began to find out what happened. I think they were from Youngstown. Whatever though.

Fighting has been around for ever in Hardcore. Its not new, but things are very different. I seee people intentionally going to fight at shows and carrying the gang mentality even before they hit the door. It's not about "Lets rep out crew" its now about "let's kick some ass" Forget about kickin it at shows anymore. Forget about talking to friends and meeting chicks. Its all about watching your back around people you are supposed to share some sort of unity with.

clevohardcore - 1-19-2007 at 10:37 AM

I remember ONE LIFE CREW showing up to see EARTH CRISIS, SNAPCASE and STRIFE swinging folding chairs at kids during SNAPCASE. MEAN STEVE ending the show in the middle of it.

I measn seriously? What was the point of that? OLC showing they can beat up 15 year old Vegans back in 1993?

JawnDiablo - 1-19-2007 at 10:52 AM

OLC was terrible in my opinion

BKT - 1-19-2007 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
OLC was terrible in my opinion

OLC was one of the best bands in hardcore. I saw them twice, once in Clevo when that huge riot started and once in Detroit with Cold As Life, and Krutch. Funny in Detroit they did not run their mouths at all. None the less that band made a mark and put out some great music in the process. Hardcore needed them at the time, it was getting a little too gay.

MM.

JawnDiablo - 1-19-2007 at 01:05 PM

sorry, never cared for them.
i had one cd by them with that dude in handcuffs on the front of it. didnt like it. sold it on ebay for $42 though

BKT - 1-19-2007 at 01:13 PM

hahah nice job. American Justie the second and last full length they put out was their best shit I think.

$42 bucks, amazing considering that CD rings in at about 15 minutes and I recall buying it for like 9.99.

MM.

Jason the Magnificent - 1-19-2007 at 01:46 PM

Crime Ridden Society, pound for pound was the best 15 minutes of hardcore in the 90's.

clevohardcore - 1-19-2007 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Crime Ridden Society, pound for pound was the best 15 minutes of hardcore in the 90's.

^^^^^^ It was up there. that cd is great stuff even today.

DaveMoral - 1-19-2007 at 02:58 PM

I don't have the time, inclination or energy to put into even caring about hardcore at this point. Most all my friends I made in that scene have dropped out of my life, they've all got families and the ones I still talk to tend to be chilling out lately.

I don't care who's got the biggest dick dudes, and maybe this would all be less gay if they didn't care who has the biggest dick either.

Kid Ugly - 1-19-2007 at 03:30 PM

Deep to be renovated; city to keep tabs on bars
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 01/19/07
BY MICHELLE SAHN AND STEPHEN BOVE
STAFF WRITERS

Post Comment
ASBURY PARK ? In the wake of a possible homicide, a boardwalk club has canceled this weekend's show of a popular band and announced it will be closed until spring.

Larry Fishman, chief operating officer of Asbury Partners, which owns Deep, said the club had planned to close for a few months for renovations for the summer of 2007. But he acknowledged that the decision to close now rather than in a month or two came in part because of the death of James C. Morrison outside the club on Sunday.

"I would say that we had been planning to close for the renovations for quite some time, and it just seems like this is the best time," Fishman said.

The death of Morrison, 25, an Iraq war veteran who lived in the New Gretna section of Bass River, is being treated as a homicide and remains under investigation, authorities said. No arrests have been made.

According to the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, Morrison and his friends went to Deep late Sunday afternoon to hear hard-core bands, and an argument ensued and proceeded outside. At 5:50 p.m., Asbury Park police received a call indicating that Morrison had been injured.

He was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, where he was pro-nounced dead about 40 minutes later, authorities said.

Deep is near Second and Ocean avenues in Asbury Park. Fishman said it will be completely renovated for the summer.

Caroline O'Toole, general manager of Deep, said it will be available for private rentals until it reopens.

She also confirmed that the Murphy's Law show scheduled for Saturday has been canceled.

City wants more dialogue

Meanwhile, city officials want to put procedures in place so police have details in advance about the entertainment events scheduled at city businesses.

"The city needs to know what's going on," said City Manager Terence Reidy. "We need be in a conversation with the club owners . . . because it's in the owners' interest to have a peaceful night. . . . We want to have procedures in place to make sure we know what's going on, on any night in the city."

That's the first step, Reidy said. But the challenge is determining when security might be required.

"We absolutely need to be looking at all this . . . but at the same time, it needs to be done in a way that addresses the issue, and not some blanket rule that maybe helps and maybe doesn't," he said.

Deep had security on Sunday, Reidy said, adding that the club's general manager is an extremely responsible person.

But Reidy said having the Police Department in the loop is important and he believes the business community would be happy to have that sort of communication with the city.

Staff writer Nancy Shields contributed to this report.

BDx13 - 1-19-2007 at 05:53 PM

Asbury Partners is renovating most of the oceanfront in Asbury Park, so I'm sure they want to get past this ASAP.