Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

records that changed your life

gavin - 6-18-2007 at 11:19 AM

1. beatles-everything.......my mom is a super fan. heard them from the time i was born and they made me love music at an early age
2. kiss-destroyer......the kid next door gave me this record. i must have played it 10,000 times. i was probably 7 at the time
3. w.a.s.p.-fuck like a beats 12inch.......one of the first records i bought with my own money. loved it so much
4. slayer-hell awaits.......turned me from a metal guy into a "thrash" metal guy. i was in 7th grade maybe. maybe 8th
5. dead kennedys/black flag...bought them at the same time cuz i wanted to know what "punk" was about. they changed everything
6. agnostic front-victim in pain and bad brains roir sessions.......my first "punk" friend in 9th grade. he was the first skinhead i ever knew. he gave me a tape of these 2 albums and it changed everything yet again. these records made me cut my hair about a year later.
7. sheer terror-just cant hate enough......while i dont think its the best record they did, it had the biggest impact on me. when i got this, it was exactly what i was about at the time.

thats it for now

CR83 - 6-18-2007 at 11:28 AM

1. Black Sabbath- Paranoid. I got this when I was 9. I loved every second. Iron Man was inredibly powerful for some reason

2. Walk Among Us- this sent me down the path I'm still on 20 years later

panzerkreuzer - 6-18-2007 at 11:42 AM

foreigner 4 - i loved juke box hero when i was 12
gang green - another wasted night / suicidal tendencies 1st lp yeah, i was a skater then
7 seconds - the crew my first hardcore record, still one of my top faves
metallica - ride the lightning i heard metallice for the first time and creeping death blew me away
slapshot - the cd ...and my hairs got shorter
slayer - south of heaven the beginning of the first song made me frightened. still their best record.

XHonusWagnerX - 6-18-2007 at 12:10 PM

KISS - Alive II
Police - Syncronicitti
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
Anthrax - Among the Living
Slapshot - Step on It
Murphys Law - Back with a Bong
Ramones - Ramones

DAK - 6-18-2007 at 12:25 PM

Misfits - Walk Amomg Us

CR83 - 6-18-2007 at 12:37 PM

Biohazard- Urban Disc- changed how I really viewed friends, beliefs and family. I feel it made me a stonger and better person.

Discipline - 6-18-2007 at 12:43 PM

Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks
Misfits- Collection
Dayglo Abortions- Feed Us A Fetus
Motorhead- No Remorse
Slayer- Reign In Blood
AC/DC- Back In Black
Judas Priest- Defenders of the Faith
Sheer Terror- Ugly and Proud
Agnostic Front- Cause For Alarm/Victim In Pain
Dropkick Murphy's- Do or Die
Cro-Mags- The Age of Quarrel
Metallica- Kill 'Em All
Blood For Blood- Revenge on Society
Madball- Demonstrating My Style

JawnDiablo - 6-18-2007 at 01:07 PM

Ozzy: Bark At The moon, the first tape I bought as a kid
Iron Maiden : Live After Death
WASP: The Last Command / Fuck Like A Beast
Slayer: Hell Awaits / Reign In Blood....I was like 12 and this was pretty extreme at the time.
Black Flag: Damaged...this is where I started to sway to the darkside of the force and get into punk / hardcore
Serial Killers Roadside Rendevous: I loved that record
Sheer Terror Just Can't Hate Enough....funny side note, I heard this for the first time cuz I borrowed it off of Mrbadvibes' sister.....after I heard that tape it more or less defined me for a while.

Lucabrasi - 6-18-2007 at 01:28 PM

Rancid-And Out Comes The Wolves
F-Minus- S/t
Dead Kennedys- Plastic surgery Disater/In God we Trust
Anti-Heros-Thats Right/Dont Tread on Me

Murk - 6-18-2007 at 01:48 PM

DRI - Dealing With It

Kid Ugly - 6-18-2007 at 03:56 PM

Black Flag-Damaged
Dead Kennedys-Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Misfits- (all)

newbreedbrian - 6-18-2007 at 11:46 PM

Misfits - Legacy of Brutality
Suicidal - first album
Minor Threat - Out of Step
Bad Religion - Suffer
Flag - Damaged
Negative Approach - Tied Down
Bad Brain - Rock for Light
Ramones - first 4 albums
Blitz - Voice of a Generation

this could take awhile........

morgan - 6-19-2007 at 12:37 AM

Being as I'm the resident youngster

Blood for Blood- Outlaw Anthems

Kid Ugly - 6-19-2007 at 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Being as I'm the resident youngster

Blood for Blood- Outlaw Anthems

I think you and I are about the same age. I just found the classic stuff before I happened on Blood For Blood.

clevohardcore - 6-19-2007 at 03:42 AM

SOIA - blood, sweat.

Dave - 6-19-2007 at 08:51 AM

suicidal tendencies - s/t - i loved this record i listened to it every fucking day, it was the first punk/hardcore record i ever bought it blew me away. That was 20 years ago now.........

Minor Threat - s/t - another one of those albums that the first time you heard it, you knew you were hooked for life.

7-Seconds - Committed For Life/blasts from the past/skins brains & guts

S.N.F.U. - And Know One Else Wanted To Play/Better Than A Stick in The Eye

Dead Kennedys - Give me convience or give me death

D.R.I. - 4 of A Kind

Bad Religion - Against The Grain

Bad Brians - Rock For Light

Fugazi - 13 Songs

MyOwnWay - 6-19-2007 at 09:41 AM

I'll point out key records at various turning points in life in order. In case anyone cares...

Michael Jackson - Thriller: Made made me truly realize my love for music at a very young age.

Run DMC - King of Rock: My introduction to hip hop. I got picked on in school alot for being a white kid listening to hip hop. I never saw what the big deal was me a suburban kid listening to music made by black men rhyming about the streets. I still dont.

Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil: Introduction into Heavy Metal. Scary, fun, loud, and hard. I absolutely loved it.

Poison - Open Up And Say Ahh: Album made me feel good, and this is when I realized I wanted to play drums.

Sick Of It All - Just Look Around: This album is what made me decide I loved Hardcore, past the few songs I had heard. As ChrisReed83 said, this is the album that sent me on my path I'm still on (15) years later. This record still continues to inspire me.

H2O - self titled: Hardcore had a melody and still captured an intensity like never before. Noones live show could be touched when these guys toured for this album. Watching Toby made me decide someday I wanted to try out being a front man. And it started me off on going to shows on a consistent basis.

Diana Krall - Love Scenes: I became such a huge jazz fan when this record hit. I had listened to it on and off thru out the years but this album did it for me. Plus I could never appreciate smooth jazz until this record. Jazz became and is still my second or third most listened too style of music. This album got me laid in the late ninties. :P

Dropkick Murphys - Do Or Die: Never heard anything like it before or since in Punk. It changed the way I saw myself and have a greater appreciation for friendships.

brooklyn - 6-19-2007 at 10:54 AM

the first Motorhead and Iron Maiden album as I was in my teens when they got released and it made me go fully into "alternative" music.

AF's, CroMags and Warzone's early stuff, and the early SE HC stuff like YOT, Minor Threat, Wide Awake, Aware,... as it came out in those famous 80s and my full HC start.

Van Morrison's "Healing game" in 1997 as it came at the perfect time. Kind of right fuel for specific set of mind back then (besides my daily HC dose ofcousre)

DaveMoral - 6-19-2007 at 05:17 PM

Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91 The Enemy Strikes Black (this one also introduced me to metal with the Anthrax version of Bring The Noise. I remember turning this thing WAAAAY down when my parents were around cuz I was afraid of what their reaction would be to the swearing. Haha.)
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (probably the worst of the best Megadeth albums, but it was the first thrash record I bought, before this it was all GNR and Poison and shit like that)
Strife - In This Defiance (First time I heard this was from a friend who was also on the diving team in high school, I couldn't believe my fucking ears. Then I checked out the lyrics and I was down with all of that.)
Earth Crisis - Gomorrah's Season Ends ( I hate this record now, but it was the first EC album I bought and the title track with the whole "I am straight edge" chant really made me feel good. I was drug free all throughout school when all my friends started doing drugs and fucking random chicks and all basically drifted away from me for that shit. Did me alot of good. Also, much as I tried to resist it this band and this record and subsequent EC albums that I bought influenced me to at least think about veganism.)
Agnostic Front - Somethings Gotta Give (Started my love affair with NYHC.)
Rancid - Let's Go (First punk rock album I bought, to this day my favorite Rancid album)
Dead Kennedys - Bedtime For Democracy (Bought it because it seemed DK was the thing to rock if you were punk... Ironic how I picked this up outta conformity. Loved it though.)
Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud Sing Proud
Madball - Demonstrate My Style
Ramallah - But A Whimper(After I'd lost all faith in hardcore and had moved onto basically just reggae, this one came along. Wow.)
Vegan Reich - Vanguard (What can I say? While I was already vegan when I bought this... it still changed alot of things dramatically)
All Out War - For Those Who Were Crucified(Made me realize you could believe in God and yet not believe like the others do.)

Murk - 6-19-2007 at 11:37 PM

i've been thinking about this and for me it really boils down to 85-86.

it was then that i first heard

Suicidal Tendencies - s/t
DRI - Dealing With It
Dead Kennedy's - In God We Trust Inc.

those three albums shattered my prior conception of music.

defstarsteve - 6-19-2007 at 11:39 PM

first was ST....
the the thrasher skate rock comps...
they got me really into punk and metal
soia-just look around really got me more into hardcore...

random - 6-19-2007 at 11:43 PM

BFB's Revenge on Society made me feel like I wasn't the only one.

Lots of other crap has been influential or cool or really made me get into certain things, but that one was profound and a defining moment.

tireironsaint - 6-20-2007 at 12:17 AM

Weird to see some mention of Kiss in here as that was a big thing for me as a kid. Destroyer was the first album I ever owned. I basically went from having those read along in the book story records to blasting Destroyer at the age of five.
So yeah,
1) KISS - Destroyer
2) Stooges - Raw Power....totally woke me up to a more real version of what I was loving about bands like KISS and Alice Cooper. I think I was about 8 or 9 when I got a cassette version of that album.
3) The Cramps - Bad Music For Bad People...this was the beginning of my Punk years. Obviously, the Stooges were Punk too, but this was the first band I could say I knowingly got into as a "Punk Band". My favorite Cramps songs are still ones from that album. Oddly enough, I've just recently been getting very heavily into a lot of fucked up Bluesy and Lo-Fi Punk stuff that has a definite connection to the same roots as The Cramps.
4) Sex Pistols/Dead Kennedys/Black Flag - all those bands appeared on so many tapes that were passed my way around the time I was starting junior high and they all knocked me on my ass and made me examine the way I looked at the world.
5) The Big Boys - No Matter How Long The Line as well as Lullabies Make The Brain Grow...Brought home the idea that there is not only NO set location for amazing bands to come from, but that anyone and everyone should involve themselves. As the Big Boys always said "What are YOU doing to participate?" Plus, they really opened my mind to the idea of bands playing anything they want and not sticking to one proven formula.
6) Slapshot - Step On It...I got into this band and album right when I was getting sober. It made me realize that I wasn't alone in wanting to break free of the peer pressure mindset (not to mention my addictions), and also that I didn't have to try to be some kind of "normal" just because I didn't want to be a wastoid anymore. It also lead me into my love of Oi and related genres which I had started getting into a little bit already.
7) Oi Polloi/Betrayed split album on Oi! Records....solidified my love of Oi. This was the first straight up Oi record I ever owned and it's still great.
8) Negative Approach - Tied Down...Finally felt like I had found someone who was screaming the same thoughts that went through my head on a daily basis. 'Nothing' was my theme song for many years.
9) Sheer Terror - Just Can't Hate Enough...Combined the themes I loved in the NA lyrics with brilliantly written lyrics on every level. For years I thought no other album they released could hold a candle to this one, even though I loved every one as it came out. Now it's nowhere near my favorite Sheer Terror stuff, but it's still fantastic.
10) Poison Idea - Pick Your King...a similar story to Sheer Terror, I fell in love with the lyrics and at first was put off by their later releases with a more Hard Rock influence, but now I'm MUCH more likely to put on something like Blank Blackout Vacant than this one.

There's tons more, but that's a kind of overview of my evolving musical tastes over the years. In the past three or four years I have greatly expanded my horizons and fallen completely in love with a lot of stuff that I had merely flirted with over the years. Stuff like raw Country/Honky Tonk, Rockabilly/Psychobilly, old school Rock 'N Roll, Bluesy Punk, and quite a bit more besides.

Murk - 6-20-2007 at 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
BFB's Revenge on Society made me feel like I wasn't the only one.

i never heard b4b until 2000, when i picked up Victory Style 4 for $5. not life changing, but like you said, a connection was established.

tireironsaint - 6-20-2007 at 12:29 AM

Yeah, I shoulda put Blood For Blood in there somewhere too. When I first heard them I had given up completely on Hard Core. I wasn't buying any new records in the genre aside from those of tried and true older bands, but hardly even any of those at that time because I was so disgusted with what it had turned into at that time. I was listening almost exclusively to Oi and Skinhead Reggae around then and I think I was riding in the backseat of a friend of a friend's car when Blood For Blood came on and I was blown away. I remember wondering how it was possible for me not to have heard of them before until the guy who put it on told me they were still a new band. That actually lead me back into thinking there might still be hope for HC as a whole. Unfortunately, I'm almost as disillusioned with the genre now as I was when they came out, but I haven't turned my back on the possibilty of new bands with a clue like I had then.

random - 6-20-2007 at 12:41 AM

tireiron,

Funny you say that, because between the time of some old BFB and the time Ramallah came out, there was a long period of time that I didn't listen to anything but Oi and a bit of old skinhead reggae. And I can say the same thing about how Ramallah made me feel. Maybe I'm just young at a quarter-century or some of you other guys really old. :) That's ok, I've always felt like an old fucking man given my colleagues at any time in my life (including the present).

morgan - 6-20-2007 at 12:43 AM

I forgot to mention Pride Kills- Deep in the Heart. First real hardcore band I ever heard.

tireironsaint - 6-20-2007 at 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
tireiron,

Funny you say that, because between the time of some old BFB and the time Ramallah came out, there was a long period of time that I didn't listen to anything but Oi and a bit of old skinhead reggae. And I can say the same thing about how Ramallah made me feel. Maybe I'm just young at a quarter-century or some of you other guys really old. :) That's ok, I've always felt like an old fucking man given my colleagues at any time in my life (including the present).
Interesting, I see Ramallah as moving VERY far away from what I can call Hard Core. It's odd that we share such a similar thought and fell back on the same genres and yet we see two very different bands with the same nucleus in opposite lights.

And yeah, I'm old. In just over a month I will be 35, ten years your senior and yet here we are talking about a musical genre that some people would say reached it's highest point many years ago when I was first getting into it and you were a toddler.

tireironsaint - 6-20-2007 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
I forgot to mention Pride Kills- Deep in the Heart. First real hardcore band I ever heard.
Wait, how old are you??? I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, but either you discovered HC REALLY late in life or you are VERY young.

random - 6-20-2007 at 12:58 AM

I know what you mean. I think the only reason I can even consider Ramallah to be hardcore is because there was a period where I went to every show just to have something to do, and I saw way too many shitty (fill in the blank)-core bands. Especially too much metalcore. All of that basically made me give up on anything related to "hardcore" since it strayed so far away from what it once was and, at the same time, lost all of its meaning. Change is fine, but damn those bands sucked, and I had no idea what the fuck that had to do with hardcore, punk, oi, or any other genre I've ever given a fuck about. One of the few bright spots in that time was catching KYI at some crappy fest in Gainesville, FL, that someone convinced me to go to.

All of that being said, I still find it hard to tell myself a band plays hardcore when they go on tour with a keyboard player!

thedog - 6-20-2007 at 01:07 AM

Sick Of It All - Blood, Sweat & No Tears

necrobutcher - 6-20-2007 at 09:27 PM

Biohazard - Urban Discipline. I saw the video for Punishment on Beavis and Butthead and got the tape. This really got me into a lot of heavier shit and away from rap.

SOIA - Scratch the Surface. One of the first times i really recall hearing a heavy band singing with some type of a positive message in some of the songs.

Misfits - everything. Rekindled me love of horror and got me to pay attention to a lot more punk.

Blood for Blood - Outlaw Anthems. For years I always thought of AF, SOIA and Murphy's Law as more punk bands. I always associated hardcore with the straight-edge, posi, vegan, save the world shit since my only exposure was to bands like that. Once I heard this I realized I had been missing out on an awful lot of good shit. The first time I heard Some Kind of Hate the hair on my neck stood up.

morgan - 6-20-2007 at 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:
Wait, how old are you??? I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, but either you discovered HC REALLY late in life or you are VERY young.

To answer your question I'm pretty young. I turned 18 a couple days ago. I found about Pride Kills through a friend of mine who was good friends with Paul Nasty. He got PK to play at a reunion show for his band, Worm Suicide. Think I was around 15 at the time.

panzerkreuzer - 6-21-2007 at 08:05 AM

an important record i forgot and that was really impressive on me was the "5,98$ ep" of metallica. there i heard a misfits song for the first time in my life, and it sounded so good...
thanks metallica for making me punk. sorry for that what happened to you after the black album:P

JawnDiablo - 6-21-2007 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer
an important record i forgot and that was really impressive on me was the "5,98$ ep" of metallica. there i heard a misfits song for the first time in my life, and it sounded so good...
thanks metallica for making me punk. sorry for that what happened to you after the black album:P

haha yeah thats what made me check out the misfits too!

Discipline - 6-21-2007 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer

haha yeah thats what made me check out the misfits too!

Ditto

JawnDiablo - 6-21-2007 at 07:27 PM

gonna add

Venom Welcome to hell
Napalm death harmony corruption
agnostic front victim in pain
black sabbath 1st 3 records

Gooch - 6-22-2007 at 04:04 PM

This is pretty much the order of bands/records that got me into hardcore. I don't think anything I listened to prior to that really had any impact on me, though I was listening to bands like GNR, Crue, Def Lep and Bon Jovi, not much there that could change you life, haha.

SOD- Speak English or Die- A friend taped this for me after we were talking about music and what not. I guess he though I would be into it. I really didn't listen to anything that hard at the time expect for Metallica and Megadeth, and even then I wasn't totally into them. SOD was different than anything I had heard before.

The Exploited- Lets Start a War/Troops of Tomorrow- same dude that taped me SOD hooked me up with that those too. Again, totally different than anything I had listened to before. I still have a soft spot in my heart for these guys just because this was the beginning of me getting into hardcore.

McRad- Absense of Sanity- opened up the skaterock sound to me.

Misfits- Walk Among Us. One listen and I was hooked.

Minor Threat- Out of Step/7"s- another friend made me this tape. I guess the 1st traditional hardcore band I was exposed to. I was blown away.

YOT- We're Not in This Alone/Can't Close My Eyes- These were on the other side of the Minor Threat tape. Again, blown away. Their energy was intense. Life was never the same.

JawnDiablo - 6-30-2007 at 10:09 PM

this was a great subject so i'm bumpin to the top again
sweet alcohol

clevohardcore - 7-1-2007 at 02:13 AM

I am drunk as well. Listening to BJORK - medulla on itunes.

Bomb fire tonight and a couple drunnk family memebers. Good times. I drank about 6 MOLSON CANADIAN light. I am a ligthweight anymore.

sippers - 7-3-2007 at 09:20 PM

1.kiss- deststroyer
2.ozzy-blizzard of ozz
3.motley crue -too fast for love/shout at the devil
4.suicidal temdencies -s/t
5.agnostic front- vip
6.coc- animosity
7.cro-mags age of quarell
8.minor threat-7"s

all these records reflected differnt times in my youth that changed me moe ways than one.

crazyfists28 - 7-4-2007 at 05:01 PM

life of agony : river runs red
blood for blood : spit my last breath
i can play either of these and remember when and where i first heard them. great stuff

RoughBrother - 9-5-2007 at 01:10 PM

I had to really think this one and I came up with this:

Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops...it basically was the first Oi!-record I heard and the whole experience was just like "wow". The melodies and the lyrics really hit me hard and kinda sent me to the path I now live. It helped me to understand the value of true friends and honest work, it also helped me to gain new friends and I remember countless bar nights when me and my cousin sang these Cock Sparrer-classics while walking to the bar or home. We even had this own version of England belongs to me. We called it "Hyvink?? belongs to me" and it was dedicated to our little home town...good times, brings alot of memories:)